Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wibla posted:

Not pissing me off: I got a full deck of "Exceeds expectations" during my performance review today :toot:

I work extra hard, more than my coworkers in other departments and only get a meets expectations.

Which is fine, because it's not tied to raises lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah I’m going to get some solid communication going on Monday with explicit directions on what is expected. I did update my LinkedIn to looking for work but only for recruiters just in case.

If I do actually lose my job this would be two jobs in less than a year that didn’t last even 6 months. How do you present that when talking to potential employers?

Honestly I’d be surprised to lose it at this point though, mostly because I’m one of only a few native English speakers and there’s been numerous times where communication just kind of got mixed up. Like my boss saying something like “you just gotta move on” after I spent some time off over the loss of my kid, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he meant well.

Still, I’ll update the resume and keep looking just in case. Thanks y’all

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

cage-free egghead posted:

something like “you just gotta move on” after I spent some time off over the loss of my kid

:psyduck:

where's that giant psyduck that spits out tiny psyducks

What in the gently caress, there is no language mixup that could possibly make that acceptable. Jesus.

(Also condolences that loving sucks :( ).

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

:psyduck:

where's that giant psyduck that spits out tiny psyducks

What in the gently caress, there is no language mixup that could possibly make that acceptable. Jesus.

(Also condolences that loving sucks :( ).

:psythulhu:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What the actual gently caress happened here

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Quora is a dumpster fire, news at 11 :v:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I have to assume that “spam” in that case is short for “Netflix threatened to sue us for unspecified DMCA violations if we didn’t take that answer down.”

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NGL, I thought of that and now I'm having a panic attack thinking Netflix is going to sue ME for posting it.

I'm pretty sure legally, Quora has to specify that it's a DMCA claim and offer a specific appeals process, but I'm also pretty sure that I don't want to touch it. What the hell kind of world did we make that I'm sitting here making GBS threads my pants over telling people to check a box

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 4, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Netflix doesn't give a poo poo. Quora probably keyword matched your post, stuff like "pirate" and a specific show name maybe.

It's obviously not spam so clearly their moderators don't have a category for "oh gently caress this person is teaching people how to steal movies."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KillHour posted:

NGL, I thought of that and now I'm having a panic attack thinking Netflix is going to sue ME for posting it.

I'm pretty sure legally, Quora has to specify that it's a DMCA claim and offer a specific appeals process, but I'm also pretty sure that I don't want to touch it. What the hell kind of world did we make that I'm sitting here making GBS threads my pants over telling people to check a box

Quora doesn't have to do ~poo poo~ since I'm 100% certain that the terms you agreed to while signing up say that they can make unilateral decisions to remove content. Let's look! (Note that some of these might be more difficult to enforce depending on jurisdiction and circumstances, but you're enforcing them in front of an arbitrator that Quora selected.)

https://www.quora.com/about/tos

quote:

You agree to alternative dispute resolution. You agree to attempt initially to resolve matters cooperatively with us and, if that fails, to use individual arbitration, except in limited situations.

Arbitration is much more beneficial for the company than if a lawsuit were allowed

quote:

We may terminate or suspend your Quora account if you violate any Quora policy or for any other reason.

They can ban you for any reason

quote:

We may terminate our license to you at any time for any reason. We have the right but not the obligation to refuse to distribute any content on the Quora Platform or to remove content. Except for the rights and license granted in these Terms of Service, we reserve all other rights and grant no other rights or licenses, implied or otherwise.

They can remove content at their discretion

quote:

YOUR SOLE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE QUORA PLATFORM IS TO STOP USING THE QUORA PLATFORM.

:getout:

If Quora *wanted to* it could certainly have a big fancy DMCA process like YouTube does, but answers on the internet is a lot lower stakes than YT, so they just delete your poo poo and tell you to go play on Yahoo Answers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks y'all I feel better

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Honestly I’d be surprised to lose it at this point though, mostly because I’m one of only a few native English speakers and there’s been numerous times where communication just kind of got mixed up. Like my boss saying something like “you just gotta move on” after I spent some time off over the loss of my kid, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he meant well.

This is massively hosed up, and beyond that this is about as loud and obvious a signal that you're ever going to get that your boss is a sociopath. He did not mean well if what you quoted was even REMOTELY close to what he actually said, and unless you kiss his rear end publicly and continuously, you will eventually become his enemy. You probably already are because you aren't being a good worker bee while you're loving grieving, which in his mind makes him look bad to his bosses, yes he is making this about him because that's what sociopathic narcissists do.

My prediction if you stick around is that once you eventually start feeling remotely like a human being again, you're going to notice things about this person that make you think, "wait, what the heck?" They're going to be little oddities and behaviors that don't make any sense to you because they're not things that people who can experience empathy say or do. He's going to start jerking you around, if he doesn't just continue to let you twist in the wind with no direction.

Now it may look like taking one secondhand (possibly paraphrased) quote and running with it over the horizon because I'm projecting my own experiences with my old toxic narcissist of a boss. And to an extent I am. But you know what, an empathetic boss would take a look at your situation and say "dear god I can't even imagine... I'm going to just put 'meets expectations' down across the board here because HR makes us do these reviews with no exceptions, but I'm not going to actually give you a review for another six months" or something. You're probably better off not working for this person even in the best circumstances, not that that's a big comfort right now. Job hunting sucks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

If I do actually lose my job this would be two jobs in less than a year that didn’t last even 6 months. How do you present that when talking to potential employers?

I spent some time off over the loss of my kid.
You've answered your own question here. Getting that first interview might be a bit tougher but if anyone at all gives you poo poo over the best possible reason for having a bad year, then you know that they'll be poo poo to work for.

Isepic
May 7, 2002

...“you just gotta move on” after I spent some time off over the loss of my kid...

Nope, gently caress that. That's not a benefit of the doubt thing. My wife's ex-boss fought her on going to my father's services because "He wasn't direct family." Wife quit, and I was going to go have a word with the boss regarding that, but I was not allowed.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Nothing says "you are just a robot to us, sit down, shut up, and do your job or we'll replace you" like an employer trying to tell you who to grieve for and how long the process should take.

Edit: this is not to say that paid bereavement policies shouldn't have limits, but a grieving employee needs to be able to take time off either paid or unpaid without having their employment threatened.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm still steamed that i let my boss' boss talk me into taking only three weeks of leave after my kid was born instead of four. loving stupid. glad that guy got fired

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Three weeks instead of four? I had a generous-for-the-US six weeks and even that feels barbaric.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we give 8 weeks, it should be 6 months at minimum

Weedle
May 31, 2006

that was when i was young enough to still believe that not respecting yourself would make your employer respect you

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Weedle posted:

that was when i was young enough to still believe that not respecting yourself would make your employer respect you

I hit this point yesterday, roughly. After being poo poo on for being proactive and not following the "chain of pricing" (I asked a vendor rep directly for a price sheet instead of asking corporate, to which I say :what:), I decided that no longer am I going to attempt to improve the life of anyone but my own at this loving company. I'm gonna do my "40", get paid to shitpost, and get paid to develop the software part of my resume with a project that improves my productivity and gently caress the rest of y'all assholes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Isepic posted:

Nope, gently caress that. That's not a benefit of the doubt thing. My wife's ex-boss fought her on going to my father's services because "He wasn't direct family." Wife quit, and I was going to go have a word with the boss regarding that, but I was not allowed.

Perhaps I should explain, but he said this after I told him I was wanting to start work again after being out for a few weeks and that keeping my mind busy would help.

guppy posted:

Three weeks instead of four? I had a generous-for-the-US six weeks and even that feels barbaric.

I was told that 6 weeks was pretty generous too, which shocked me. Had I known that opting to come back to work earlier than the offered amount voids it, I would have just taken it all.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Perhaps I should explain, but he said this after I told him I was wanting to start work again after being out for a few weeks and that keeping my mind busy would help.

I was told that 6 weeks was pretty generous too, which shocked me. Had I known that opting to come back to work earlier than the offered amount voids it, I would have just taken it all.

My current company offers 12 weeks, but back when we were having children, I worked for a company who's paternity leave stance was 'how much PTO do you have?' and later one whose stance on paternity leave was, allow me to quote the owner 'it's some kind of f*g bullshit'

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

tactlessbastard posted:

My current company offers 12 weeks, but back when we were having children, I worked for a company who's paternity leave stance was 'how much PTO do you have?' and later one whose stance on paternity leave was, allow me to quote the owner 'it's some kind of f*g bullshit'

I have a # of kids I'm not going to post on the internet, but EVERY TIME I had a kid, got hosed over by the lovely pat leave policy, complained, and then they changed the policy (not because of me, or at least solely due to me) to give people either 4 weeks or 8 weeks (where I got 0). And then I asked HR at both places to get hooked up because my baby isn't even a year old they told me to gently caress off :mad:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
iPhone and iPad janitors, prepare to replace every fixed charging setup in 2024

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_3524

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Harmonising the fast charging technology is the more important development here I think

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanks Ants posted:

Harmonising the fast charging technology is the more important development here I think

Eh, I can't really think of any specific examples today where charging that's within the PD spec is artificially limited. We have examples where a phone can charge significantly faster with the vendor's own charger, but those are examples that are going above and beyond what the USB-PD spec can realistically deliver to a mobile device. For example, an Oppo phone may charge at 65w, but it can't charge that fast with a USB-PD compliant charger since in order to get that charge speed it needs to push 6.5A across the charging cable which is outside PD spec.

Buy a USB-C charger that supports PPS and you can be near 100% certain it will charge a device as fast as possible within the USB-PD spec. You aren't going to get crazy 65w, 80w, or 120w phone charge speeds, but those are all but impossible to deliver over normal USB-C charging within spec due to the need to maintain as near as possible to 10v input voltage to make it easy on the voltage regulator to match battery chemistry.

USB-C for everything is the real win. Micro-USB and lightning can finally die their undignified death.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cisco will still be putting USB Mini-B on everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Cisco will still be putting USB Mini-B on everything.

Well, the mandate is only for things that charge.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bull3964 posted:

Well, the mandate is only for things that charge.

Yeah, and Cisco charges me out the wazoo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah, and Cisco charges me out the wazoo.

Where are you having your USB-C port fitted?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

Penneys/Primark already sell USB cables with little adapters to change the end held on by a rubber band for a pittance. The connector issue is almost an irrelevance when adapters are that cheap.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
Are they going to fix the plug fire issue for phone chargers though. I bought a two USB socket plug without looking at it because I'm an idiot after a year of use it caught on fire looked at the rating on the back it was 0.2 Watts. Mine and my partners phones both charge at 2 Watts each. We were saved by the house power tripping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who is this "they" you're talking about? Apple? The EU?

The problem with adapters igniting is not their responsibility, it's the cheap knockoffs being pumped out of China and that country is certainly not going to fix it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A phone that charges at 2w? What are they, flip phones?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Overload protection is the most basic thing to build into a power supply and the factories churning out knockoffs will save a few pence and not put it in. Don’t buy unbranded poo poo that plugs into mains electricity or anything expensive. This also means avoiding a huge amount of stuff advertised on Amazon because they seem to be all-in on the idea of being a platform and give zero fucks at all about the quality of what is being sold.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Buy oem or Anker problem solved

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Network goes down 2 hours into our shift. It's two levels above us so we spend the next 8 hours sitting around and telling people we have no ETA of when it'll be back up. There was little else to do and it sucked. I told my manager to just go home an hour early since I was staying to close anyway.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Buy oem or Anker problem solved

qft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My favourite way of approaching a project is to have a set of requirements nailed down and agreed on by both sides, to deploy infrastructure that meets those requirements, and then once everything has been set up to have the customer come back and ask for extra things that they never mentioned initially because they "thought it would be too expensive".