Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Khanstant posted:

Same with Arvio, he has a short run of delivery tasks. I was looking forward to them but they ran out shortly. I've failed two other characters' part time jobs, get a disappointing chat after, still curious if I get another chance at em eventually. I'd always rather have more things to do that I can't get to yet than have awkward moments where I'm out of stamina, out of chores, out of quests. Considering how fast I've been advancing through stuff and am only a month or so in, have had quite a few days that even if I had the time going normal speed instead of half, I'd still have nothing to do by 17:00 or even before noon on some days where my stamina was just going to scrap or something that drains it all instantly. I've tried switching back to normal time, but since you get penalized for story events, the pacing just meant frantic stamina burnoffs sometimes if there were more than 1 event that drains 1-2 hours to punish you.
I don't know if this was meant as a troll or just EA weirdness, but Arvios delivery quest had the recipient standing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM both times.

Also story events don't seem to affect uninvolved townspeople so you'll be having a serious conversation with Justice in a cutscene only to have him get hip checked by Burgess's fat rear end.

Neither Rian nor Cooper sit next to their wives in church which is a little weird, in fact Dan-bi is on the opposite side completely. I suppose she's helping with the service or something but my theory is she's so fed up with Rians filthy hygiene habits she can't stand to be anywhere near him. They're a really weird couple.

I never see Rian nor Yan actually working. I mean I guess Rian is a "work smarter not harder" kinda guy while his wife is running around like the goddamn Bionic Woman. But Yan is blatantly chilling in the commerce center building doing jack poo poo so I don't know how he gets such a lead in builder rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha yeah he gave me a delivery once during a fireside chat gathering and dude was within turning distance. that's the fun of agent routines I guess.

I thought maybe church seating was random rather than they made those odd choices haha. Speaking of church, is there a way to "attend" it and does doing so do anything? I keep attending church in the fact that my commissions lead there sometimes in the morning, but I never saw anything to do besides chat with everyone in one convenient place mostly.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Panfilo posted:

But Yan is blatantly chilling in the commerce center building doing jack poo poo so I don't know how he gets such a lead in builder rep.

didn't get this far during the beta myself but from what I understand he's explicitly a cheating rear end in a top hat forging fake work for himself, there's apparently a whole event chain where he just ~mysteriously~ gets a whole bunch of extra points the second it looks like you might overtake him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Khanstant posted:

Haha yeah he gave me a delivery once during a fireside chat gathering and dude was within turning distance. that's the fun of agent routines I guess.

I thought maybe church seating was random rather than they made those odd choices haha. Speaking of church, is there a way to "attend" it and does doing so do anything? I keep attending church in the fact that my commissions lead there sometimes in the morning, but I never saw anything to do besides chat with everyone in one convenient place mostly.
Not that I know of. They might add something later though I suppose. For instance, you can build up museum rep but the rewards are tied to the # of different donated items. Rep for things like the museum or Church of Light could maybe be used to unlock conveniences in the game later and build more rep with the associated people in the process.

I assumed in Portia the main benefit to attending was it's easy to say hello to everyone being conveniently all in the same place.

I also noticed fireside chats don't always trigger a cutscene and I guess it only does it for that particular story mission .

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Nick Buntline posted:

didn't get this far during the beta myself but from what I understand he's explicitly a cheating rear end in a top hat forging fake work for himself, there's apparently a whole event chain where he just ~mysteriously~ gets a whole bunch of extra points the second it looks like you might overtake him.
I wonder if it's possible to beat him in the first month. You'd have to minmax like crazy just to make up such a huge initial deficit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is some of the voicework placeholder? I was talking to Grace today and she seemed to switch voices on this quest she gives you, and even within that speech it kind of sounded like she was flipping between two character voices, and neither really sounded all that much like when you just talk to her in the restaurant.

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if it's possible to beat him in the first month. You'd have to minmax like crazy just to make up such a huge initial deficit.

You definitely can get higher than where he starts but he always seems stay paced ahead of you no matter how well you seem to be doing. Tempted to make a second save and cheat a reputation multiplier just to see if they have it coded for him to always win since he strongly implies he's a stink cheater in many convos, that he "always" wins but not in the confident "good at building" way.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Game start I got in to the routine of upgrading my workshop ASAP and grabbing the best jobs every morning. You get to second place pretty dang fast but it's winter now and doesn't seem like I'm getting closer to first.

Early on I got a scene where Yan berates me for not being more like Mi-An, went and double checked the board and I was way past her.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
After the first month eval Mi-An was bottom and he was telling me to go shame her and find out what's wrong.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Khanstant posted:

Is some of the voicework placeholder? I was talking to Grace today and she seemed to switch voices on this quest she gives you, and even within that speech it kind of sounded like she was flipping between two character voices, and neither really sounded all that much like when you just talk to her in the restaurant.

You definitely can get higher than where he starts but he always seems stay paced ahead of you no matter how well you seem to be doing. Tempted to make a second save and cheat a reputation multiplier just to see if they have it coded for him to always win since he strongly implies he's a stink cheater in many convos, that he "always" wins but not in the confident "good at building" way.

Someone had mentioned he has a funny reaction when you get first place so I think it's possible in the long run. Early on there might be some alogrythm that rubber bands him up when you get close in score. I think I might have recently passed him up, last time I checked I was within 100 rep of him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's definitely possibly, I'm in month 2 and just now noticed I'm already number one. I got promoted to 3 star workshop several days ago, so maybe around then. Between day 5-9 of autumn.

Actually now I think it is very possible to beat his score month 1, assuming it's not set to lose. Once you unlock more characters you end up getting more chances for workshop rep gain and I only now noticed that for 2000 gols you can get a quick +20 to everyone in town pretty much donating to church box whenever it is out.

money in this game is kind of funny, I rarely ever feel like I'm working towards making money. I buy water and crop stuff, but I really kind of don't know where the rest of my money is going. Don't buy togo food, don't buy gear, don't buy supplies. I guess, sharpening stones, gotta buy those apparently.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah you accumulate a lot of gols from just doing commissions. The big money sink early on is buying water. And maybe schematics. But the last two times Mysterious Man showed up I was able to clean him out of stuff I didn't think I could get elsewhere.

The first relationship tier for Yan also gives you another +5% money from commissions if you don't mind being a huge suck up to that malingering rear end in a top hat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ooh that's a good catch. I think come official launch II might start over anyway and I'm definitely gonna gun for number 1 month 1. I mean, I was already but next time I'll get it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Me too. Also they throw you a bone and give a 50% discount at the general store and blacksmith I think. I didn't take advantage of it this playthrough but if I'm minmax-ing and know what to spend on it could give me an edge next time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Do we have any estimate how long Sandrock will be in EA? I definitely dont want to make the mistake i did with portia of burning out during EA and now coming back after 4 years to finish it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Do we have any estimate how long Sandrock will be in EA? I definitely dont want to make the mistake i did with portia of burning out during EA and now coming back after 4 years to finish it.

They posted a roadmap for 2022 earlier and I think they said they'll be in EA for at least a year

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3358009685435527202

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Me too. Also they throw you a bone and give a 50% discount at the general store and blacksmith I think. I didn't take advantage of it this playthrough but if I'm minmax-ing and know what to spend on it could give me an edge next time.

haha yeah I was also wondering how to take advantage of that discount but ended up buying nothing except 2 wooden chests rather than spend the time making the boards for it myself lol. There's gotta be something there to help rocket you to number 1 faster. I'd also be building food machines earlier for the bonus stamina since that's your real resource limitation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Get ore processor early too because you can wring bloodstones out of useless rocks which saves a lot of time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finally got the drill in Portia.
Can confirm the pickaxe thing is some sort of bug cause the drill destroys terrain just fine without any stutter/hitching, it only happens with the pickaxe.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Daztek posted:

They posted a roadmap for 2022 earlier and I think they said they'll be in EA for at least a year

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3358009685435527202

Thanks. Looks like they'll be adding new festivals through at least 2023. I would want to be able to do those, so I'll probably try and wait for them to be mostly done.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LLSix posted:

Thanks. Looks like they'll be adding new festivals through at least 2023. I would want to be able to do those, so I'll probably try and wait for them to be mostly done.
Why wouldn't you be able to do them with an existing save?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well you might be passed it or missed the run-up commissions or events and have to wait a whole other year and honestly cant think of how many farm life sim games that I've gone beyond year 2 before feeling it's "complete."

Panfilo posted:

Get ore processor early too because you can wring bloodstones out of useless rocks which saves a lot of time.

learned this lesson when I took a couple bloodstone commissions thinking I'd go poke a couple rocks and be good to go... naw, nearly all my stamina running around smacking dang hard rocks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Tried Sandrock on a Steam Deck and it runs pretty well on low, though I did run into some audio glitches and the game lags when switching tabs in the menus/inventory but load times aren't much worse than my main system that is way faster. Hopefully that gets optimized a lot more because gonna into and out of buildings sucks right now.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
How long is the main game's story right now?

Just built the Zipline cart and did the little dungeon after that.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

For Early Access, there's a solid 30 hours of gameplay to get out of it for $25.

I just got to the end of the main storyline at the 30-hour mark. Going to play through the end of the year (about half-way through Winter atm) and circle back to the game upon release.

All in all, it's a better Portia and pretty solid as it stands :thumbsup:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What machines did you put in your factory for My Time At Portia? I kind of feel like my current setup outside the factory works just fine and probably wouldn't bother if there weren't things that can only be made in the factory.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

First big patch for My Time at Sandrock is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc9GLVo25sE

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3248805004726629280

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Sick of your poo poo Logan!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was on sale, so I bought it. Character creator had some surprising options, but really needs to work on its hair selection.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Really? Because I managed to make a character halfway between a Bratz doll and a side character from Jem.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A Chinese game with any amount of features for black characters? Surprising.

Only black hair is the bantu knots. They’re not great. Oddly springy.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 27, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Portia and Sandrock are available as a bundle now, and currently on sale for 30 bucks.

Portia is usually 30 bucks, and Sandrock is usually 25.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Picked up Sandrock; I figured it was time to bite the bullet, since I'd enjoyed Portia and it's on sale

game's charming as heck

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Looks like you picked it up just in time for a new update, they put out this weirdly dramatic trailer a couple days ago teasing an update for the 24th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDkYjNYnSY

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
they did put a lil note saying this is only half of the planned update due to covid and the rest is coming later

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FYI more main story content is dropping "around" December 14th. No idea if this encompasses everything that got left out of the last update or if it's just some missions to tide people over.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao I don't even remember chickens or ducks being in the game lol

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

"Knives Out" update coming mid-April (release date TBD next week)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1084600/announcements/detail/3684546740144699554
this one includes marriage too

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like early access games because I'm impulsive. But what sucks about them is that it is easy to blitz through the slow trickle of content and get bored quickly. On the flip side, this might wring out more interest in the game as you can come back to a previously incomplete game you've grown bored of, only to have a bunch of QoL improvements and content to explore later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I kickstarted MTaS to support them, then I played enough of the first alpha to understand I don't regret supporting them, now I'm waiting for 1.0.