Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I have to say that Peck is absolutely crushing Spock.

Just goes to show how much the writing makes a difference, I thought he was an awful spock in Disco but now he's the highlight of SNW.

I thought I hated the actor but I actually just hated the writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

getting some ice cream

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a lot easier to do your job well when everyone around you is doing theirs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many seasons does this go before they give into the temptation and cast Kirk

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Butternubs posted:

Just goes to show how much the writing makes a difference, I thought he was an awful spock in Disco but now he's the highlight of SNW.

I thought I hated the actor but I actually just hated the writers.

Even in the Short Trek everyone likes he wasn't great.

But hey, even Nimoy took a couple of episodes to find the character's voice!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

zoux posted:

How many seasons does this go before they give into the temptation and cast Kirk

He's already showing up next season

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Crusader posted:

getting some ice cream

Ice cream is a dish best served cold

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

zoux posted:

Already set to appear next season. I really wish they’d held off from dipping in that well till much further down the line, if at all.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

Already set to appear next season. I really wish they’d held off from dipping in that well till much further down the line, if at all.
I suppose they have to do it sooner or later, since Kirk clearly knew Pike pretty well (if not as closely as Spock), and Spock and Kirk need to have time serving together to become besties. As soon as season 2 is a bit surprising though.

I just want them to cast Karl Urban as Bones down the line.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CPColin posted:

Ice cream is a dish best served cold

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Brag all you want, but don't get between me and the blood sundae!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dang I was actually near that truck today but forgot. I'm not too bummed about missing the tie-in promotion, but it was hot and I was craving ice cream and that would've helped me justify it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Man the cast is insanely charasmatic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

Man the cast is insanely charasmatic.

This helps a lot too

I think it's possibly the main reason Voyager is thought of so much more favorably than ENT and DIS, since both of those shows are packed with boring people

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Has anyone in SNW cursed yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

I suppose they have to do it sooner or later, since Kirk clearly knew Pike pretty well (if not as closely as Spock), and Spock and Kirk need to have time serving together to become besties. As soon as season 2 is a bit surprising though.

Once he's done with The Boys, he'll probably be in the right age range relative to Ethan Peck and Paul Wesley to portray a proper TOS-era McCoy too.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

get antony starr as a recurring villain while you’re at it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DaveKap posted:

I think the word "hijinks" is a curse in Vulcan.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wheeee posted:

get antony starr as a recurring villain while you’re at it

Genuinely, he'd be great as your classic TOS-era captain/admiral gone space-mad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

I don't think so and I hope it stays rare and in the drat/rear end/hell shallow end of the swear pool

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

From what I've heard, Antony Starr is not the kind of person you want to work with twice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

holefoods posted:

If I have any complaint about the sets it’s one that I think carries across all of the nu-Trek shows and it’s that I don’t really have a good sense of how the ship is laid out. I can imagine myself on the original Enterprise, the D, Voyager, I would know how to get around them. I never had a sense of how Discovery is laid out and connected and so far that sense has continued to the SNW Enterprise. I think it feels way more inviting than Discovery and the sets are beautiful. Maybe this is just a weird complaint that’s specific to me or something that’ll be alleviated as we see more of the ship.

I don't have any better sense of the spaces in the classic shows than the nu ones, it's just the old ones had more reused sets and less CG spaces. The rooms themselves also just looked like rooms, nutrek rooms look like SciFi Spaces. The logic of the space was still made up, I vaguely recall an animation of some folks entering an elevator and the insane route it would take to get wherever it was supposed to take them according to where the destination was on a technical schematic or whatever of the ship.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

From what I've heard, Antony Starr is not the kind of person you want to work with twice.

It was incredibly telling when basically the whole cast of The Boys was asked at a press conference "Who's the most like their character?" and they all practically in unison without need for a second thought went "Antony!" :yikes:

He also beat the poo poo out of a waitress and might have to do time in jail soon for it :ssh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I Am Fowl posted:

Genuinely, he'd be great as your classic TOS-era captain/admiral gone space-mad.

I nominate Starr as Captain/Commodore Decker, especially if they roll through doing a remake of TOS. He can do both the hot shot up and coming captain part, as well as the broken by grief for his crew shell of a man as he meets his end.

An interesting dynamic for SNW to use as a long-term thing is a rivalry between Pike and Decker. If Pike doesn't end up in the beep-boop chair, does he get the promotion to commodore ?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I thought people were talking about Martin Star for some reason and was disappointed that he was awful until I looked up who people were actually talking about.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well. He's not great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

It was incredibly telling when basically the whole cast of The Boys was asked at a press conference "Who's the most like their character?" and they all practically in unison without need for a second thought went "Antony!" :yikes:

He also beat the poo poo out of a waitress and might have to do time in jail soon for it :ssh:

He got into a drunken scuffle with another person(who is a waiter for his day job) at a bar. He got 2 years probation :ssh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

T.C. posted:

I thought people were talking about Martin Star for some reason and was disappointed that he was awful until I looked up who people were actually talking about.

when do we get freaks and geeks: the next generation

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

Apparently Chapel also knows Kirk. She had a USS Farragut remembrance pin.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I don't think so and I hope it stays rare and in the drat/rear end/hell shallow end of the swear pool
Yeah after 4 seasons of Disco and 2 seasons of Picard I thought I'd chill out on the idea of Trek having curse words but I still found myself wincing any time I heard it in Picard S2 so I think yet another factor of SNW being so good is I never wince at someone cursing.

And I loving curse like a sailor in real life and all over the internet so it's not like I'm squeamish. It just doesn't fit the show.

You know what? I bet SNW can pull of cursing just fine and the only reason it sucked over 6 seasons of NuTrek is because those were 6 poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted seasons of terrible television.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 4, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Spock is gonna call Pike the C-word in episode 8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Cast Damon as Khan

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
heartwarming episode where the crew have to take turns improvising the most profane Aristocrats joke to persuade a new alien government into the federation

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

heartwarming episode where the crew have to take turns improvising the most profane Aristocrats joke to persuade a new alien government into the federation

M’Benga takes center stage, smiles and we smash cut to the aliens signing into the Federation while the rest of the crew look very ill in the background

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Wife and I watched the Spock Amok last night and I don’t think either of us have stopped smiling since.

I can’t believe we get NSW and Orville NH at the same time. Praise satan.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CPColin posted:

Spock is gonna call Pike the C-word in episode 8

Curvy-eared?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I’m the Captain, and I can do whatever the gently caress I want. Now lock weapons, Lieutenant.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

M’Benga takes center stage, smiles and we smash cut to the aliens signing into the Federation while the rest of the crew look very ill in the background

Pike: How did you even...

M'Benga: I'm a doctor, captain. I know how anatomy works :getin:

Una, La'an, Hemmer, Uhura and Spock: :barf:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This was not how I expected the conversation to go after I made that statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
SNW has cleared the hurdle that no other live action modern Star Trek has yet; I will watch it again some day. I can feel the characters growing on me and it's easy to embrace the cheese when it's in service of an actual good episode of TV.

I like TOS, and I view it as a product of the time when it was made. I don't think it needs to be erased, but making a new show that's good doesn't really erase it, even if the timeline or details don't match up. TOS didn't care about that stuff and I don't think we should either. If the show keeps being good then they should just keep making it, canon be damned.