Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

could someone do the last supper in the style of ralph steadman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ultimately i think it's like, there's no real incentive for the people behind DALL-E to go after you, so even if they say "don't use this for work" it's more of a wink wink sort of thing

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

precision posted:

ultimately i think it's like, there's no real incentive for the people behind DALL-E to go after you, so even if they say "don't use this for work" it's more of a wink wink sort of thing

I mean, the people who invested millions in the design and pay for the cost of the hardware and promotion etc aren't going to want money back? I get right now it's all building awareness and stuff with people gushing on Twitter, but surely they have some kind of business model in mind, right?

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

I know that midjourney has a pretty clear-cut use rights in their FAQ that more or less equates to "If you make over 20k off this, we'd like a portion." What I genuinely like is that there's a section that's straight up: If you use this for anything involving crypto that'll be 20% -- period. I'm guessing that's a subtle Eat poo poo Thanks For Making GPU Cores More Expensive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Strange Aeon posted:

I mean, the people who invested millions in the design and pay for the cost of the hardware and promotion etc aren't going to want money back? I get right now it's all building awareness and stuff with people gushing on Twitter, but surely they have some kind of business model in mind, right?

i suppose so. i thought it was mostly being done with research money, not commercial investment

what i keep coming back to is how hard it would be to prove you got something from DALL-E. and then there's going to be a further argument about how much you have to alter a DALL-E output in order for it to be considered a transformative work.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I imagine it would be pretty difficult to actually prove that a work was produced by Dall-E if someone did use it for commercial purposes.

I'd bet they keep records of all generated images (along with random seed and prompt), at least for the moment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Horde of wild corgis post apocalypse in the style of Norman Rockwell

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

i am spending way too much time trying to get a biblically accurate angel.
it gets really hard after you realize the AI has no idea wtf an ophanim is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This is not, the greatest bong in the world. No! This is just a tribute.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

KakerMix posted:

Hyper realistic character concept of twitter dork who is crying, by WLOP 4K, mythical beast concept art, Rendered in Octane, trending in artstation, cgsociety, 4k post-processing highly detailed, Tony Sart, Craig Mullens, dynamic cinematic lighting rendered by octane engine, 8K post processing
(copy/pasted other people's prompts, if you load it up with all this garbage it gives it particular looks)

This touches on one of my favourite parts of AI/ML - using (what appears to garbage inputs) to generate a specified result.

Someone did study a few years ago of AI/ML examining airport lugging xrays and discovered the AI would correctly identify guns, but if you added a slight ridge to one particular side suddenly it had no idea that it was seeing a gun with a slightly weird edge on one side.

This sort of information warfare attack is likely to be super valuable in the future, whether it's:

• the magic symptoms to describe to get the AI doctor to give you morphine,
• the magic phrases to say to get the government services AI to put on you a disability pension,
• or the magic combination of actors appearing in front of certain cameras at certain times of the day in certain costumes to convince the AI doing dispatch for the NYPD something is strange enough to move all the cops to one side of town while also not triggering any alarms.

Crime in the future is just gonna be people dressing up in strange outfits and yelling at AIs.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

MLK Ultra posted:

"Just give me a fuckload of eyes".

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

MLK Ultra posted:

I tried just feeding a biblical descriptions in, it got close.

"As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel."

seemed to do better when I rewrote it a bit simpler

"A creature with four faces and a topaz wheel intersecting a topaz wheel on the ground beside it"

then I added the word photorealistic

tried adding angel to the beginning which ended up adding angel wings to everything

so I switched to demon

then I switched to demonic and dropped the photorealism

then I noticed the original description specified four wheels so I rewrote it again

"Demonic creature with four faces and four topaz wheels intersecting with topaz wheels"

pretty sure those are perfect biblical angels

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
On the copyright/using for profit thing, it really doesn't matter.

While I'm sure some are doing this to monetize for themselves, if you take the image and gently caress around with it enough to make it different, and strip any metadata, who the gently caress could prove anything?

And heck, if you hosed around, then made a physical painting of it, it's even more abstracted.

Nobody would pursue that. Makes more sense just to set up a subscription model when you are ready to roll (different tiers, or pay by the image) and make money that way.

We already have similar stuff, like I'm subscribed to a remotely operated telescope imaging thing which is neat as hell, you remote control scopes all across the world and get the images, scientific or just cool visual stuff, and you pay for how long each imaging run takes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
What do you get if you ask for a real thing? Like "portrait painting of Mona Lisa in the style of da Vinci"? Do you get a decent copy or a reinterpretation?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gromit posted:

What do you get if you ask for a real thing? Like "portrait painting of Mona Lisa in the style of da Vinci"? Do you get a decent copy or a reinterpretation?

edit: bottom right is actually good

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The Butcher posted:

I'm subscribed to a remotely operated telescope imaging thing which is neat as hell, you remote control scopes all across the world and get the images, scientific or just cool visual stuff, and you pay for how long each imaging run takes.

WHERE DO I GO TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

isaboo posted:

WHERE DO I GO TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS

https://www.itelescope.net/

There is a bit of a learning curve to using it and astrophotography processing, but they have lots of tutorials for their platform for how to set up the imaging runs, and how to process them. And there is a huge community around this stuff with all sorts of free tools for stacking and cleaning up images and people love helping with it.

It won't spit out a great image instantly, you've gotta stack and mess around with various (mostly free) programs.

Start with big easy targets like andromeda. I made this!

You can see everything the scope is doing in realtime, and there are even webcam feeds you can see the scope you told to do a thing moving around and poo poo, halfway around the world in the other hemisphere. Wild poo poo.

They are totally cool too, if you gently caress up, or the scope fucks up, get your credits back no questions asked. That andromeda shot cost maybe $2-3 to control it and get the data, I think.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

TIP posted:

this dude boasting to us about how good his fleshlight is and he thinks it's ok because he doesn't think we're "real people"

:hmmyes:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

There's actually a connection between badgers and The Matrix... anyone who figures it out gets a cookie...

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Random news articles...

:shrug:

:hmmyes:

Edit: I think Dalle-E Mini has got our opposition leader pegged...

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 5, 2022

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So like, how turbo hosed is the entire entertainment industry if this bad boy starts becoming mainstream in usage? It's simply too valuable to use, corporations will be frothing at the mouth once they figure out they could replace entire teams of people with an algorithm.

The video game industry will get hilariously hosed over for starters, good lord :stare:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

:hmmno:

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

White Light posted:

So like, how turbo hosed is the entire entertainment industry if this bad boy starts becoming mainstream in usage? It's simply too valuable to use, corporations will be frothing at the mouth once they figure out they could replace entire teams of people with an algorithm.

The video game industry will get hilariously hosed over for starters, good lord :stare:

Almost every industry is turbo hosed to some extent. The extent being the willingness for companies to inflict change/spend money to move to a new way of doing business.

For example, shopping centres could move to a fully automated model tomorrow if they were willing to piss off their customers and spend the capital.
Everyone would do your shopping online and specify a pickup time. Then automated pickers would pull your goods off "the wall of goods" and drop them into boxes. QA would probably be done by a human and you pick up your box at the appointed time. At night, the automated pickers restock the wall of goods from inventory.

Construction would be more turbo hosed if building companies were willing to invest in those dancing robot dogs, but it's probably going to be a while before those come down in price and we haven't taught an AI to weld or hook up a toilet yet.

The big change to watch for is when we start routinely using these AIs to autonomously train better AIs. DallE is cool but DallE Prime could probably iterate through hundreds of thousands of versions a year. In the grim dark future, you only get your UBI payment if you spend an hour a day with DallE Prime picking the best portraits out of a set over and over again.

I was going to say "the next chapter is $4.99" but you can get it for free just by typing the prompt into Novel AI.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Party Ape posted:

Almost every industry is turbo hosed to some extent. The extent being the willingness for companies to inflict change/spend money to move to a new way of doing business.

For example, shopping centres could move to a fully automated model tomorrow if they were willing to piss off their customers and spend the capital.
Everyone would do your shopping online and specify a pickup time. Then automated pickers would pull your goods off "the wall of goods" and drop them into boxes. QA would probably be done by a human and you pick up your box at the appointed time. At night, the automated pickers restock the wall of goods from inventory.

I think they restock supplies manually, but still, pretty dang close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZ_8cqfBlE

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Can someone get me a "photorealistic emperor Paul Muad'dib posing gloriously"

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer
No walrus. Disappointing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

edgeman83 posted:

I think they restock supplies manually, but still, pretty dang close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZ_8cqfBlE

That's what I was thinking, but it looks like it would take a bunch of cash to get up and running so supermarkets are probably waiting until their current facilities need their next major refresh. [PS: if you're the sort of person who cares about 'stocks' and 'investments', make sure you're not invested in long term commercial real estate.]

It's the same with McDonalds front of house: Big McDonald isn't being magnanimous by letting students earn minimum wage standing in hot grease vapor letting assholes verbally abuse them, he just hasn't fully written off the current building yet. I went to a meeting the other day for 'Call Centre of the Future' which Post-Covid is 'having your call centre decentralised so an operator can use a laptop to take calls while they live in Fucksville'. But phase two is almost entirely replacing them with AI that fully handles all the routine calls and dumps the rest onto humans living in Fucksville. The technology for the second half isn't quite there (predominantly because you can still tell you're talking to a computer) but I'm sure the NLP and voice synthesis for that can't be more than a few years away.

A year ago I was saying 'AI will replace a few content heavy/rules based/diagnostic jobs but most of them require too much finesse to fully automate'. But it turns out you can just build 'finesse' into your model so yeah, we'd better get cracking on 'its capitalism but no one has a job' otherwise our transitional pathway to Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism is going to include 'French Revolutions 2, 3 and 4' as well.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sekenr posted:

Uh... seems no...

...but I did get a walrus.

Studphish
Dec 9, 2006

Just a little poison...
I will let people know if I get copyright'd as I play fast and loose with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0pwxzjtbLY

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sekenr posted:

This is the stuff that clearly points to the different models as the AI I'm using clearly knows 'Muad'dib' since that's the only place it will pull the desert stuff from, which then stands to reason there is probably a lot of Dune art its been taught on.
Here is MidJourney's very first attempt at this prompt:

I chose the second one and upscaled it:

The eyes aren't quite right, take this upscaled version and put it through "Light Upscale Redo"

Better. It's like the model de-HDRs it making it honestly look nicer. More detail = not always better as clearly demonstrated.

Those are portraits though, so gently caress with the prompt some more and go over a bunch of iterations and you can get something probably more toward what you'd actually be after:

Here is some other Dune-specific prompts which shows what data it actually has, first attempts only and just the bit in quotes:

"wormsign"

"stillsuit"

"Bene Gesserit"

"Ornithopter"

"Sandworm"

"Fremen"

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Redonionking fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 5, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DALLE Mini clearly prefers Beetlejuice, and you know what, i ship it

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Do you mean to tell me Dune was a biblical allegory?

Next you'll say that the Fremen are basically Arabs.

Stupid AI. You clearly don't understand Dune.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Choose your savior!

Four arms cyclops spidermouth Jesus is mine btw

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sentient Data posted:

How about adding sobering like "character owned by James The Hedgehog, copyright 2002 - Tumblr" at the end of a prompt

Sasquatch, character owned by James The Hedgehog, copyright 2002 - Tumblr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Edit: it’s coming home