Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I dunno, the first episode or two the whole "I can take the pain" attitude felt...forced? That's not the word. But it came off as character-trait cheating. But I'm digging her now. There's a tension building, and if all that trauma comes bursting out in a way that resolves a sticky plot, I'm here for it.

I just can't figure out how they are going to shoehorn a story about Khan though. You know they want to, but he is out on the Botany Bay having a snooze for another decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
SNW needs to just make Spock first mate, get rid up both Una and Laan, dump the doctor guy, just let Chapel run sickbay and have more screen time for the Chief Engineer and I think the show would be set up well.

They have too many cast members and it's really suffering trying to fit in three or four micro plots. Feels like the writers are stretching.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Slayerjerman posted:

SNW needs to just make Spock first mate, get rid up both Una and Laan, dump the doctor guy, just let Chapel run sickbay and have more screen time for the Chief Engineer and I think the show would be set up well.

They have too many cast members and it's really suffering trying to fit in three or four micro plots. Feels like the writers are stretching.

You do have the ability to watch TOS at any time.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Slayerjerman posted:

they're saving the dedicated Spock show for when things get truly dire with the paramount subs

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lord of Pie posted:

they're saving the dedicated Spock show for when things get truly dire with the paramount subs

they're just gonna change the name to Spock Trek

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*booming voice* SPOCK TROCK! I mean.. SPECK TREK!!! gently caress

naem
May 29, 2011

.. these are the voyages of the spock ship spockterprise

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Star Trek: Young Kirk

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

thotsky posted:

A Very Serious episode about bullying in school featuring Steve Harrington from Stranger Things as Cadet Finnegan

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ten minutes into the fifth episode of Strange New Worlds and the difference in characterization between SNW and Disco is like night and day. Every little bit just feels like a crew of actual people with a history of working together, instead of living scenery revolving around Michael Burnham and only existing in her presence.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shart trek

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ten minutes into the fifth episode of Strange New Worlds and the difference in characterization between SNW and Disco is like night and day. Every little bit just feels like a crew of actual people with a history of working together, instead of living scenery revolving around Michael Burnham and only existing in her presence.

Oh yeah well I still hate it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only logical course is hijinks :allears:.

naem
May 29, 2011

jimmyjams posted:

shart trek

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slayerjerman posted:

If "we created too many main characters so we'll start to kill them when the actors get bored or ratings start to tank" isn't Star Trek I don't know what is.

Obviously its more glaring issue when you have 8-12 episode seasons where everything is released at once, rather than 24-26 episode seasons where you need to do bottle episodes and heavily lean into the B-list characters to stay afloat schedule-wise and be able to film more than one thing at the same time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

thotsky posted:

Approximately how long until baby Kirk crosses paths with :spock:?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I dunno, the first episode or two the whole "I can take the pain" attitude felt...forced? That's not the word. But it came off as character-trait cheating. But I'm digging her now. There's a tension building, and if all that trauma comes bursting out in a way that resolves a sticky plot, I'm here for it.

I just can't figure out how they are going to shoehorn a story about Khan though. You know they want to, but he is out on the Botany Bay having a snooze for another decade or so.

My producer fan fiction/conspiracy theory is that some suit told them to shoehorn a Khan connection in the show so the writers just rolled their eyes and said "Whatever, just make this lady a Noonien Singh and call it a day."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My producer fan fiction/conspiracy theory is that some suit told them to shoehorn a Khan connection in the show so the writers just rolled their eyes and said "Whatever, just make this lady a Noonien Singh and call it a day."

And then they killed off her entire family to avoid having a Brent Spinner grandpa show up.

Seriously, what did Altan do to himself to make so many of his male descendants basically clones? He's the eugenics guy so he could do it. Attached a virus to his Y chromosome to overwrite the DNA or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This should have been the plot to Picard S2

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/south-bay-resident-charged-smuggling-and-exporting-american-aviation-technology-beijing

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The Orville Season 3 Episode 1 was excellent.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just watched SNW e4 "Memento Mori."

This show crams too much poo poo into one episode. We start off with a mysterious monster plot and roll into a submarine warfare thing with a dash of the plasma fire from the TNG episode "Disaster" and also a brief mindscape adventure.

Pros: most of the submarine warfare bit was pretty good.

Cons: watching Uhura type on a touchpad is not very exciting and all her segments stopped the plot dead in its tracks. Seriously they just keep cutting to her typing on the same keypad throughout the episode.

I also have several questions about how the blind engineer does his job without any apparent use of text to speech or braille. Also speaking as someone who has actually done work with the engineering department on an actual warship, I can tell you the job involves a LOT of looking at diagrams and picking out valve symbols from tangles of visual spaghetti.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Fun fact: FCC regulations state that all dramatic TV shows must include at least one episode titled "Memento Mori."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's very important to remember

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Applewhite posted:

Just watched SNW e4 "Memento Mori."

This show crams too much poo poo into one episode. We start off with a mysterious monster plot and roll into a submarine warfare thing with a dash of the plasma fire from the TNG episode "Disaster" and also a brief mindscape adventure.

Pros: most of the submarine warfare bit was pretty good.

Cons: watching Uhura type on a touchpad is not very exciting and all her segments stopped the plot dead in its tracks. Seriously they just keep cutting to her typing on the same keypad throughout the episode.

I also have several questions about how the blind engineer does his job without any apparent use of text to speech or braille. Also speaking as someone who has actually done work with the engineering department on an actual warship, I can tell you the job involves a LOT of looking at diagrams and picking out valve symbols from tangles of visual spaghetti.
Hemmer is an Aenar, and they have psychic abilities, so I guess that helps somehow?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah looking at a Starfleet computer display with psychic abilities is like looking at a flower with ultraviolet vision

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Well now you've got me wondering how engineers got stuff done on the HMS Endeavour.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Yeah, what kind of stupid show would have a blind engineer? Total crap fest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Applewhite posted:

I'd love to see the engineers do visually interesting stuff instead of just pushing buttons. Use bigass wrenches and cutting torches, swap poo poo out, get dirty, have the improvised fixes look all janky and cobbled together ("everyone look out for the temporary cable we had to string across engineering to the main systems monitor, it's right at head height"), and even bitch about how the duotronic regulators are so awkward to reach and you're guaranteed to scrape your knuckles when pulling the modules.

Scotty always used to have to stick his head in a hole and dodge electric sparks and do poo poo with balky hand tools. By Geordi's time, everything was pushbutton and the worst they'd ever have to do was crawl through an immaculately clean Jefferies tube to reach the thing they need to wave a light over. But SNW is pre-Scotty and has a perfect opportunity to Make Engineering Greasy Again.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I'd love to see the engineers do visually interesting stuff instead of just pushing buttons. Use bigass wrenches and cutting torches, swap poo poo out, get dirty, have the improvised fixes look all janky and cobbled together ("everyone look out for the temporary cable we had to string across engineering to the main systems monitor, it's right at head height"), and even bitch about how the duotronic regulators are so awkward to reach and you're guaranteed to scrape your knuckles when pulling the modules.

Scotty always used to have to stick his head in a hole and dodge electric sparks and do poo poo with balky hand tools. By Geordi's time, everything was pushbutton and the worst they'd ever have to do was crawl through an immaculately clean Jefferies tube to reach the thing they need to wave a light over. But SNW is pre-Scotty and has a perfect opportunity to Make Engineering Greasy Again.

Surprised they don't go the Voyager route and just have 90% of all engineering problems be solved by yelling at the computer to compensate

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Applewhite posted:

if you're going to have a bunch of physical keyboard buttons (which have major advantages over touchpads for things like a keyboard where the arrangement is constant) then why not use them. Show uhura going to town at 100wpm.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CaptainSkinny posted:

Yeah, what kind of stupid show would have a blind engineer? Total crap fest.

Geordi at least had that thing on his face that let him see.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Actually, Lavar Burton said the visor blocked 80-90% of his vision. Checkmate.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

Surprised they don't go the Voyager route and just have 90% of all engineering problems be solved by yelling at the computer to compensate

"Sorry, Captain, I told the computer to compensate but didn't specify what it should be compensating for."

"What the gently caress does that have to do with the replicators all going offline?"

"The computer made the best guess inference from my personnel record and tone of voice. It's replicating an F-150 for me. Every time I try to correct it, it just dereplicates it, then starts replicating it again, but with bigger wheels."

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Sorry, Captain, I told the computer to compensate but didn't specify what it should be compensating for."

"What the gently caress does that have to do with the replicators all going offline?"

"The computer made the best guess inference from my personnel record and tone of voice. It's replicating an F-150 for me. Every time I try to correct it, it just dereplicates it, then starts replicating it again, but with bigger wheels."

Unable to comply, rerouting power from life support systems to truck nutz

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think geordi could really read screens. his vision was basically a low res heat map. the show never really went into it, but holograms almost certainly looked completely different from people to him, too.

except most of the time the visor thing never came up and he was just some dude with a dumb accessory.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In Generations when the Duras sisters hack Geordi's VISOR we see that, canonically, Geordi can see in the visible spectrum when reading is necessary. They use it to get the Enterprise's shield modulation frequency.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think Geordi just kept his VISOR on the heat map setting a lot because it was so useful for spotting radiation leaks and stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They said that Geordi sees all of them at once, heat vision and visible spectrum and everything, and he's learned to just pay attention to subsets he needs the same way we can isolate a voice in a crowded room.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I think Geordi just kept his VISOR on the heat map setting a lot because it was so useful for spotting radiation leaks and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think geordi could really read screens. his vision was basically a low res heat map. the show never really went into it, but holograms almost certainly looked completely different from people to him, too.

except most of the time the visor thing never came up and he was just some dude with a dumb accessory.

the EM field probably worked fine though. Geordi can see in multiple spectrums.