Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

does this mean Spidey can get married again or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Take back One More Day before you go

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

We should be careful what we wish for, lest they promote Dan Slott and we end up with "For a Few Days More: A Spiderverse Event"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

We should be careful what we wish for, lest they promote Dan Slott and we end up with "For a Few Days More: A Spiderverse Event"

This summer, the blockbuster Spider-Man event that will change the Marvel Universe forever. The fate of reality is in peril. There's only thing that can save the multiverse from total annihilation; Every Spider-Man must get married.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Quesada hasn't worked comics-side in over a decade at this point. His job was "chief creative officer" making sure the portrayal of Marvel characters stayed consistent in all media.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

does this mean Spidey can get married again or

No but Wolverine is gonna smoke so much

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Blockhouse posted:

Quesada hasn't worked comics-side in over a decade at this point. His job was "chief creative officer" making sure the portrayal of Marvel characters stayed consistent in all media.

But they didn't.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Beerdeer posted:

But they didn't.

I said that was his job. I didn't say he was good at it.

Also I imagine "consistency" was more about broad strokes and avoiding things like that canceled Daredevil video game where Sony wanted Matt to rail grind down telephone wires like Sonic the Hedgehog

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

I said that was his job. I didn't say he was good at it.

Also I imagine "consistency" was more about broad strokes and avoiding things like that canceled Daredevil video game where Sony wanted Matt to rail grind down telephone wires like Sonic the Hedgehog

That sounds awesome, now I'm upset that game doesn't exist. Who wouldn't want Daredevil to understand the concept of love?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
does this mean ash is coming back

also how has Kurt Busiek never worked in the upper echelons of the big two? His head is screwed on way better than somma these clowns who end up in the big chair. Maybe he just wants to stay a writing man?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

has he even had much of a role since most of the company was moved under Kevin Feige in 2019?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been working my way through Marvel comics using MU and CMRO. Just finished Infinity War and I quite enjoyed the core issues, some of the side issues were alright but a lot of them really, really felt tacked on.

However, coming out of Infinity War and reading the Spirits of Venom story line that ties up some post Infinity War stuff for Spider-Man and this is how MU presents a couple of pages in Ghost Rider and Blaze: Spirits of Vengeance #5

For full image

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i've seen brand new scanners make better joins than that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Phoenix: Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey. I know that there was a stretch of time where the teen versions of the X-men were brought forward to the present by Beast to prove some kind of point. So at first I was like "Cyclops is acting a little out of character here" but then I realized that oh yeah that's not the real Cyclops. I also new that Jubilee had been a vampire for a little while, so when poo poo bit a guy that made sense. So all that was fine. But also the real Cyclops was dead, apparently? And Wolverine was old, Sabertooth was part of the X-men, and Emma Frost was a bad guy again.

I don't really have a point, just that all that was weird.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Emma bit was the only truly loving stupid part and has rightly been completely ignored, like, the moment after it happened.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gripweed posted:

I read Phoenix: Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey. I know that there was a stretch of time where the teen versions of the X-men were brought forward to the present by Beast to prove some kind of point. So at first I was like "Cyclops is acting a little out of character here" but then I realized that oh yeah that's not the real Cyclops. I also new that Jubilee had been a vampire for a little while, so when poo poo bit a guy that made sense. So all that was fine. But also the real Cyclops was dead, apparently? And Wolverine was old, Sabertooth was part of the X-men, and Emma Frost was a bad guy again.

Wolverine was old because the real Wolverine was dead at the time and that one was from another reality(the Old Man Logan comic that the Logan movie was partially based on), Sabertooth had been "Inverted" from a recent event that had switched the alignments for a bunch of characters(most had returned to normal by the end of that event but he and a couple others stayed that way for a while afterwards), as for Emma and Scott I don't quite recall the specifics but I believe it had something to do with that poorly thought out period where Marvel was trying to push the Inhumans over Mutants due to Perlmutter being a whiny baby about Fox having the X-Men movie rights

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

That's X-men, baby. Weird is the default.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 5, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

Wolverine was old because the real Wolverine was dead at the time and that one was from another reality(the Old Man Logan comic that the Logan movie was partially based on),

Wait, there's a part in the comic where Teen Cyclops says he's going to go talk to Jean, and Wolverine stops him and says "this isn't your Jean. You never knew her, you never loved her" But she wasn't his Jean either? What the gently caress? She was significantly less old Wolverine's Jean than she was teen Cyclop's Jean! When I thought it was an old version of the real Wolverine I was like, I don't like this because the Wolverine/Jean pairing has always been bad to me, but at least he had a point that he had known Jean a lot longer than teen Cyclops. But he never even knew that Jean, and teen Cyclops did

Goddamn, I hate the Wolverine/Jean pairing so much.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Wait, there's a part in the comic where Teen Cyclops says he's going to go talk to Jean, and Wolverine stops him and says "this isn't your Jean. You never knew her, you never loved her" But she wasn't his Jean either? What the gently caress? She was significantly less old Wolverine's Jean than she was teen Cyclop's Jean! When I thought it was an old version of the real Wolverine I was like, I don't like this because the Wolverine/Jean pairing has always been bad to me, but at least he had a point that he had known Jean a lot longer than teen Cyclops. But he never even knew that Jean, and teen Cyclops did

Normally I'd agree but the whole Scott/Jean/Logan throuple thing they've been doing since Krakoa started has been great, not to mention puts an interesting retrospective lens on when it was a love triangle

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wolverine/Jean does not work on its own at all but people kept trying to push it.

Hickman was smart when he just kinda dumped any sort of love triangle or jealousy poo poo in creating Krakoa. So now you can have Benjamin Percy write Jean and Logan like they're the OTP while other writers can have Scott and Jean being a solid couple who have each other's backs, love each other, and also are great family unit with all the other Summers and Greys. And you can have Logan and Scott sort of flirt with each other and not be jealous of either one with Jean.

And as a bonus you also have Scott and Emma still being kind of a thing, because that was a good pairing too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I never found it particularly compelling either

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah I never found it particularly compelling either

It's been a while since I did a Claremont re-read but it also seemed kind of one-sided on Logan's part.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

It's been a while since I did a Claremont re-read but it also seemed kind of one-sided on Logan's part.

Yeah. And Wolverine was married. He had a kid! Why isn’t his wife the love of his life? But instead he keeps pining over a woman he can’t have. It makes Wolverine look really bad.

That’s why I don’t like the throuple idea either. The conclusion to that plot line should be Wolverine getting over it. Not after decades of gross mostly one-sided longing they just figure out how to make it work and it’s fine and good.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 5, 2022

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Getting the ability to die and resurrect at will might help get over their petty relationship bullshit and realize there’s better things to worry about

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gripweed posted:

Yeah. And Wolverine was married. He had a kid! Why isn’t his wife the love of his life?

I have some bad news about how life can be.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have some bad news about how life can be.

The issue is that the comics about his wife, at the least the ones I’ve read, do depict her as the love of his life. Their marriage as the one time he was truly happy. Her death as a shattering tragedy that will never fully heal. But despit that, the one time he died whil Jean was also dead, it was Jean who met him in the afterlife, not his dead wife.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Gripweed posted:

The issue is that the comics about his wife, at the least the ones I’ve read, do depict her as the love of his life. Their marriage as the one time he was truly happy. Her death as a shattering tragedy that will never fully heal. But despit that, the one time he died whil Jean was also dead, it was Jean who met him in the afterlife, not his dead wife.

Someone photoshop Wolverine overtop of that old lady from Titanic please

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

GPTribefan posted:

Someone photoshop Wolverine overtop of that old lady from Titanic please

"IT'S BEEN 84 YEARS, BUB" wouldn't break canon either, nice

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gripweed posted:

Weren’t they practically estranged the whole time they were married because Logan killed her father, and Japanese crime politics or whatever?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Open Marriage Night posted:

Weren’t they practically estranged the whole time they were married because Logan killed her father, and Japanese crime politics or whatever?

I think they mean Silver Fox, not Mariko Yoshida. Logan never actually managed to tie the knot with Mariko in the 616.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

TwoPair posted:

That's X-men, baby. Weird is the default.

Every mutant is someone's favorite until they stop reading, at which point they become a war criminal or something

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’ve never really been a fan of the Wolverine/Jean thing because he’s way older than her! Like even ignoring the 100+ year old thing, he was a fully grown adult when they met, and she was either just barely an “adult” or an actual teenager, depending on which continuity. That’s gross! It’s the same creepiness as a lot of vampire romance stories.

I appreciate that pretty much 100% of the Jean/Wolverine romance is relegated to only Percy’s books though. Makes it seem more like Wolverine is having hallucinations or vivid fantasies.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was always under the impression that by the time the All New All Different members showed up the starter X-Men were supposed to be somewhere around "university graduate" age, but that may just be how my young brain interpreted in on top of not all artists being great at being able to depict a clear spectrum of different ages

Also part of the reason that it sticks around (other than just the general fetishization of redheads by the kind of nerds who read and write comics) is that Jean is written to treat Logan a bit like how Sue treats Namor:

"No...Unless the other guy fucks up."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Internet Wizard posted:

I’ve never really been a fan of the Wolverine/Jean thing because he’s way older than her! Like even ignoring the 100+ year old thing, he was a fully grown adult when they met, and she was either just barely an “adult” or an actual teenager, depending on which continuity. That’s gross! It’s the same creepiness as a lot of vampire romance stories.

I appreciate that pretty much 100% of the Jean/Wolverine romance is relegated to only Percy’s books though. Makes it seem more like Wolverine is having hallucinations or vivid fantasies.

I'm pretty sure Scott and Jean are supposed to be mid 20s by Giant Size X-Men #1. That's why most of the OG team quits, they're all full rear end grown adults who've been doing this since they were teenagers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure Scott and Jean are supposed to be mid 20s by Giant Size X-Men #1. That's why most of the OG team quits, they're all full rear end grown adults who've been doing this since they were teenagers.

And then Beast, Angel, and Ice Man go on to have interesting careers between leaving the X-Men and forming X-Factor

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Definitely not quite that old. Beast is the oldest of the originals and turned 30 in 1992. Around Giant Size, they were maybe college aged.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

when they introduced Alex Summers around the fiftieth issue of X-Men or so, he's graduating college, and Scott is specifically his older brother, but Scott's age wasn't really set (older than Iceman, younger than Beast, something college-y but hadn't graduated yet). there's a letter asking about it a couple issues later where the answer given is like "Alex is, uh, really gifted and graduated early" because they super hadn't thought about it too much. the original X-Men were pretty close to Spider-Man's age and since he's doomed to be like 29 forever I guess it makes sense that Beast has been 30 since the early 90s.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bobby specifically enrolled in college after leaving the X-Men, not, that it helps to nail an age down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What was Peter Parker doing in 75, because he was 15 when he got Spider Powers and Scott and Jean were both 16 at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

What was Peter Parker doing in 75, because he was 15 when he got Spider Powers and Scott and Jean were both 16 at the time.

In 1975, Peter was in college being cloned.