Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gorilla Radio posted:

Anyway, I've started playing Victor Vran and it's pretty fun so far. How bad does the level scaling get? Like, if I just enjoy running around shotgun-ing skeletons in the face will everything eventually turn into bullet sponges?

I remember Victor Vran remaining reasonable and fun throughout. I did switch weapon sets out fairly frequently to keep things fresh. The way VV handles switching to a new type of weapon is one of the best things about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Artelier posted:

Can anyone steer me to pick between either River City Girls or The Mummy Demastered? I realise both are different genres but I like beat 'em ups and metroidvanias.

They're both a part of this Fanatical bundle, and I'm pretty sure I want Dishonored 1 and Ancient Enemy, so I want a third game to round out the pack. Not really considering the 5 game tier because I don't want to spend that much.

RCG's got a killer soundtrack and it plays very well once you get used to the small things it does differently from other beat 'em ups. Each of the four characters play somewhat differently, your first run will definitely take a good couple of hours, and following runs make for good and quick casual run throughs. There's also two sets of collectibles to get if you're the type who likes doing that, also RCG2's coming sometime this year as well.

I've never played Demastered, but I've heard good things about it. This all being said, I agree with the opinion to get it instead as it being licensed means it's at risk in a way RCG isn't.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The cruise mummy isn't even that bad a movie. Not as fun as the fraiser one, but still a fun jaunt

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What is the deal with W40K Inquistor Martyr?

There's like 8 different kinds of currency, a poo poo ton of weapons, effects, abilties, etc. that make no sense, nothing is really explained beyond the absolute basics, and the graphics are not bad, but everything is dark and gray so enemies constantly blend into the background.

Is there some setting or feature that makes it good after you play it enough? The whole character skill trees seem pretty pointless because everything is either another passive unlock or a minor % increase to something else.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

pentyne posted:

There's like 8 different kinds of currency, a poo poo ton of weapons, effects, abilties, etc. that make no sense, nothing is really explained beyond the absolute basics, and the graphics are not bad, but everything is dark and gray so enemies constantly blend into the background.

Is there some setting or feature that makes it good after you play it enough? The whole character skill trees seem pretty pointless because everything is either another passive unlock or a minor % increase to something else.

I still need to finish that game, thanks for reminding me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I doubt this is directly related to steam but does anyone else have problems with their Xbox series controller disconnecting or going wild?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

veni veni veni posted:

I doubt this is directly related to steam but does anyone else have problems with their Xbox series controller disconnecting or going wild?

Is the receiver at the back of your PC?

I had random disconnects until I got a short USB extension and put it closer to where I play.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nowher posted:

Is the receiver at the back of your PC?

I had random disconnects until I got a short USB extension and put it closer to where I play.

This was the case with me as well. Don't put metal between the receiver and the controller, and don't put it closer than a few feet. I found it such a pain in the butt I went back to the older XBONE controllers

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Warhammer 40K Inquistor

Honestly, I tried to like this game, but it's just not good. For an ARPG to be so confusing it makes most MMOs look like entry level difficulty standards you seriosuly hosed up somewhere.

It seems like it's just the shell of the Van Helsing arpg with a new coat of paint and for some reason a bunch of additions to make it seem more like a MMO.

Worst offenses

- Itemization sucks, like turbo sucks. You'll be stuck with a piece 10 levels weaker then your own because you can't lose the one major beneficial effect it gives
- You have to grind certain things like amount of ranged damage, types of enemies killed, etc. to unlock the the ability to then spend points in those skill trees if they aren't one of your starting 3
- Your skill tree for warp powers, was 12 "runes" that would modify your power abilities. The rest look similarly underwhelming and made it seem more like they wanted the skill flexibility of Diablo 3 with the tedious skill management of most other 200+ skill games
- You unlock some things account wide, like perks I guess? I didn't dig into to too much
- There's tons of random currency drops like 8 types of void tokens that I couldn't figure out what they were
- There's little to no story reactivity from anything
- The whole game is grey, dark, and beige at the start so enemies were literally blending into the background
- The VA's give off a strong "yeah, one take is fine" vibe

Honestly, if it at least looked slightly better I could maybe stomach it, but since I was also using the psyker character that will cause a hazy purple filter to appear over the screen when using too many psychic powers it just looked like an ugly monochrome mess.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Apparently electrical interference with USB3 ports can gently caress with wireless connectivity as well (only in certain bands I guess? idk).

I got a pair of wireless headphones with a dongle and that was a known issue with them. Got a little extension cable and put the dongle like 1 foot further behind the computer instead of plugging it directly into the bhack and suddenly everything was fine, even with the metal case in the way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok yeah that's gotta be it. I play on a metal framed desk and usually hold the controller under the desk. I can't believe the signal is that weak lol. Back to Dualsense or switch pro I guess. Never had problems with either of those.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Anyway, I've started playing Victor Vran and it's pretty fun so far. How bad does the level scaling get? Like, if I just enjoy running around shotgun-ing skeletons in the face will everything eventually turn into bullet sponges?

I don't remember there being any level scaling weirdness outside of maybe a couple of optional challenges. That and maybe like, the very final boss being a bit sloggy. The card system and weapon upgrade system can make the progression curve a bit wonky sometimes though. Even then I wouldn't worry too much.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 5, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

veni veni veni posted:

If it's after market the receiver driver sometimes gets deactivated by windows because its not official, hasn't happened with win 10 though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

Ok yeah that's gotta be it. I play on a metal framed desk and usually hold the controller under the desk. I can't believe the signal is that weak lol. Back to Dualsense or switch pro I guess. Never had problems with either of those.

Is this over bluetooth?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Sounds similar to me. I have a metal / glass desk, I tend to hold my controller under the desk and the receiver is on top and it occasionally disconnects or gets "stuck" on my last input.

Weird that my wireless headset never has an issue, plugged in directly behind the PC :thunk:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Just how grindy is Dysmantle? It looks cool but I'm trying to weigh up how much is game and how much is crafting mats fetch quest.

Also, second try at:

Hollandia posted:

So is it easy to find populated servers to play Barotrauma on, or do you need to bring a group to the game?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hollandia posted:

Just how grindy is Dysmantle? It looks cool but I'm trying to weigh up how much is game and how much is crafting mats fetch quest.

Also, second try at:

There are plenty of populated Barotrauma servers, but I do think it's a game better played with a group of friends. Specially early on it's very easy to cock things up by accident, so someone trolling a server can very quickly and easily ruin things for everyone.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have a SFF PC with a wireless Xbone controller dongle, it's plugged in at the back and originally it lost connection a lot, then I would remove and reattach the dongle to make it work again. At the same time my Logitech Unified dongle plugged into the front USB for keyboard / mouse was randomly losing connection even if I sat in direct line of sight 1-2m away from the PC.

I don't know if USB 3.0 interference was the problem but since the KB/M dongle is plugged into a ~1m extension plugged into the PC's back the KB/M and the Xbox controller never lost connection since.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This wireless controller business is why I just have a giant usb cable and connect mine up directly.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Sounds similar to me. I have a metal / glass desk, I tend to hold my controller under the desk and the receiver is on top and it occasionally disconnects or gets "stuck" on my last input.

I take it back, I forgot my 360 controller whose receiver had a cable died. Now I've got an Xbone controller with just a USB drive-looking receiver plugged in back to my computer, and now I'm even more confused why it has problems but my headset doesn't :confused:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Warhammer 40K Inquistor

It is pretty bland, it wandering the same three/four corridor types shooting the same three/four evil races.
I played my first run as whatever the sniper class is called, and you can cheese most of the game with that ability that allows you to select body parts to target.

Though the missions where you play as a Titan captain stomping around the place are quite fun I think.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Card Shark owns but the cheat where you have to memorize duplicate cards is destroying me

if I'd been smart I'd have cut all four 1s or 2s and then ace of spades for the Comte, but I loving blew it and chose a bunch of random poo poo

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 5, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I somehow missed that there’s a Kingdom Rush-themed tactical RPG/roguelikeish thing coming out I guess this month? Kingdom Rush games are great gaming comfort food and this style of game sounds more fun than doing another tower defense game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1904860/Legends_of_Kingdom_Rush/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anno posted:

I somehow missed that there’s a Kingdom Rush-themed tactical RPG/roguelikeish thing coming out I guess this month? Kingdom Rush games are great gaming comfort food and this style of game sounds more fun than doing another tower defense game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1904860/Legends_of_Kingdom_Rush/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

Yeah this launched last year on iOS as part of the Apple Arcade subscription service. It's nothing mindblowing but a pretty decent little strategy RPG, "comfort food" is an apt description

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, I'd like to sort the games in my library by size while they're uninstalled, and my 3k+ library keeps killing steamgauge. Are there any other websites or tools I could do this with? And not steamdb, it just tells me the value of my account.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

You didn’t miss anything and won’t find anything that new later on, that’s basically the game. The currencies got added over time but the rest has been around since the start. I like it’s simplicity when I’m in the mood but it’s a very basic ARPG with a very fancy WH40K cloak overtop.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, I'd like to sort the games in my library by size while they're uninstalled, and my 3k+ library keeps killing steamgauge. Are there any other websites or tools I could do this with? And not steamdb, it just tells me the value of my account.

I can't even load it in the first place :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sininu posted:

I can't even load it in the first place :(

It was loading fine before I put my steam name in, so if I actually killed it I'm sorry.

e: I just want to know what the largest games in my library are. :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can already sort by Size On Disk in Steam for any of your library categories. The dynamic collections allow you to filter in only games that are installed though, so I'm not sure how you could get Uninstalled Only.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sab669 posted:

You can already sort by Size On Disk in Steam for any of your library categories. The dynamic collections allow you to filter in only games that are installed though, so I'm not sure how you could get Uninstalled Only.

You can't, as far as I can tell. I use it plenty for "installed" as it helps me figure out what to uninstall to fit other, newer stuff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Make a collection that only has your uninstalled games.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Can't you just use wiztree to see what your largest folder within steamapps is?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bamhand posted:

I believe Strix wants a full list of space required per game including for games not installed, which Wiztree wouldn't be able to help here.

I don't believe something like that exists, especially when certain games (live service ones, MMOs, and whatnot) aren't even just the space they occupy originally but a ton of extra stuff they load for updates and that amount isn't documented anywhere.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Make a collection that only has your uninstalled games.

Doesn't work

bamhand posted:

Nope

Saoshyant posted:

I believe Strix wants a full list of space required per game including for games not installed, which Wiztree wouldn't be able to help here.

I don't believe something like that exists, especially when certain games (live service ones, MMOs, and whatnot) aren't even just the space they occupy originally but a ton of extra stuff they load for updates and that amount isn't documented anywhere.

:sigh:

Like I kind of expected this, but it's still disappointing. I want to know what the biggest space-hoggers are - it's probably DCS but there must be other contenders out there, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Card Shark just introduced La Maupin, so I'm officially 100% on board

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Doesn't work

Nope

:sigh:

Like I kind of expected this, but it's still disappointing. I want to know what the biggest space-hoggers are - it's probably DCS but there must be other contenders out there, right?

Isn't Ark with the DLC like 300gb because of asset duplication

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Isn't Ark with the DLC like 300gb because of asset duplication

I always hear that it's uncompressed audio.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pentyne posted:

I always hear that it's uncompressed audio.

It is in sometimes (lol titanfall 1) but from memory all of Ark's assets are duplicated in each of the DLC pak files for ??? reasons. Probably bad texture compression too, that dev team seems woefully incompetent

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Carmageddon: Max Damage is such a trainwreck. Carmageddon had two amazing initial entries and then they've just been comically bad since.

Some obviously bad design decisions in this game:

Physics. You may as well be driving on sloppy mud on a frozen lake until you can upgrade your cars to like level 3 in whatever category makes your tires grip the loving ground. You know what works great in a game where the physics are always set to maximum-mud? A game mode where you have to hit a moving target. Which actually isn't nearly as hard as trying to hit a loving stationary target.

Enemies that don't obey physics. Technically they do, but only if you see them; the moment they're off-screen, your AI opponents just glide around so they can keep up with you. Which is fine in a game world where the goal is to just destroy each other, but hilarious in a game world where racing and position has any significance. There are some vehicles that are just comical and almost unplayable -- again, something that is a staple of Carmageddon and all fine. But when you see this loving drag racer that can't turn unless it has like a quarter mile of flat ground that it can slowly arc around somehow winning a race that involves a lot of narrow twisting corridors, it's just insulting.

There's a game mode where you have to wreck 6 vehicles. But to gain this point, you have the be the impact that destroys the vehicle. But lo! There's a giant platform that crushes 75% of the level every five seconds. So you only have this really narrow area to actually do any damage, which is hard because 1) You need to gain speed to do damage and there's not enough room, 2) if another AI opponent kills the guy you've been slamming into for eight minutes, they get the point, 3) if the platform kills them, they lose a point but you gain nothing and since the AI has no concept of self preservation, they're just constantly getting eaten by the big platform. I honestly can't beat this level. I have 0 points and all my opponents have -30 points and we're not getting anywhere.

You don't advance by winning races; you advance by earning money. But the repair algorithm is really loving snarky and sometimes it'll cost 1,800 to repair my vehicle, but sometimes, for reasons I don't understand, it might cost 33,000 to repair it, which means suddenly I'm 19,000 in debt and despite playing this stupid loving level for 45 minutes and WINNING, it earns me ZERO progress.

65% of this game is riding on an AI vehicle's hood. They'll slam into me, which causes me to get stuck on their car, and then they just slowly drive around trying to ram me into something but usually it's just 13 seconds of a slow circle until the physics let me off, and then I get rammed from another side and get to ride on a different hood for a while.

The humor is so dated and stupid, and feels like a game from 2006, not -- whenever it came out, which is later.

Carmageddon 1 was so good, this just makes me want to go play it again. You know what was really great about the first one, was the damage models. Your own vehicle could not be destroyed, but it could be infinitely warped to the point where it was undriveable. My friends and I used to just play it, sharing a seat at the computer, our turns being over once the vehicle was rendered undriveable. This new Carmageddon has good damage and destruction, I guess, but it feels really pre-set. All Carmageddons display the state of all vehicles at the end of the race, and in 1, it was really a sight to see, you could really see how much destruction was done. All subsequent Carmageddons have just... they just look like destroyed cars but not very interesting at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The comically lovely driving model is probably one of my favourite bits from original games, along with half the cars being terrible in stupid ways like having the wheelbase of a golf kart or putting literally all the weight distribution on top of the rear wheels.

A shame that the AI cheats though. Half the fun is watching the AI eat poo poo in a trash car or wedge itself in a corner for half the race.

I do think your memory is a little rose-coloured though, you ended up spending a lot of time stranded on another car’s hood in the originals too.