Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I didn't get what was going on til her name popped up because I didn't recognize her. Though I should have, because I did have the thought "Well this doesn't look awful, except whoever that is seems like a really bad actor. Especially if she's the main character."

Then I had a big laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Legitimately just looks really boring. Like, not an ugly trailer but my attention was waning the entire time. When Gina Carano popped up I expected it to get interesting in a stupid way... But it didn't. DOA.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is that seriously a guy named Cowboy Ceronne in a western

e: it's june 14 release and this is the first time i'm hearing it lol. their last movie had an almost identical premise (woman at home with child, men come to threaten their lives), do they only have one scriptwriter?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For other people also hyped about Beavis and Butthead I have some other pretty sweet news. It’s been reported that Paramount+ are adding the complete archive of episodes… complete with music videos! I don’t know how, but it seems possible as they’ve uploaded 50 episodes of Yo! MTV Raps with MVs too. June 23rd is the date.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmllggGO4pM

I'm all for Chris Evans as a mustache twirling villain.
Apparently this is meant to set up a franchise but it cost $200 million and Netflix isn’t doing so hot these days. So much for the sequels.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

it cost $200 million

loving lol. I mean I get that they're betting on Marvel fans wanting to watch a Captain America Winter Soldier-alike, but that looks like the most generic mid-budget action movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m pretty sure I can do a decent feature for 20 grand. Why is this poo poo so expensive

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

For other people also hyped about Beavis and Butthead I have some other pretty sweet news. It’s been reported that Paramount+ are adding the complete archive of episodes… complete with music videos! I don’t know how, but it seems possible as they’ve uploaded 50 episodes of Yo! MTV Raps with MVs too. June 23rd is the date.

Get back to me when all the Sifl and Olly eps are available :colbert:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, both seasons are available through Amazon. I thought for sure those were gone forever.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I’m pretty sure I can do a decent feature for 20 grand. Why is this poo poo so expensive

Ryan Gosling probably got buy-your-own-island money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lR0pkUjzb4
This looks like it could be fun.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

See I have to disagree with you because basically there are two really good parts of Jedi, Jabba's Palace and the throne room (Yoda dying is pretty good too). But then George Lucas got his hands on it and completely hosed up Jabba's Palace and removed any sense of danger or foreboding with his comedy bullshit so it makes me believe he is incapable of creating that atmosphere.

The throne room scene is excellent. Then he had to take out the Ewok song because he couldn't leave well enough alone. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Jedi was a pretty good movie and then he managed to gently caress it all up and bury the originals.

Going back several pages, but I agree that a lot of the Jabba stuff is great. But some of it is just terribly directed. Like, look at this shot, and despair:

I maintain this is the worst looking shot in all of the Star Wars films. And we just hold on it for a several seconds, like it's wonderful. And it's just ugly as all hell. Everyone's just standing there like they're waiting for their deli order. I refuse to believe the man who directed Star Wars (1977) directed this scene. Or maybe he truly had just given up by that point.

OldSenileGuy posted:

It really is, and you can probably rest easy knowing it isn’t going anywhere.

Supposedly after Universal closed the one in Hollywood, Spielberg had a poo poo fit and said they would only touch the one in Florida over his dead body

So that one is safe, for a little while at least

Do you have a link to this story anywhere? Because I've always wondered why the E.T. ride in Universal Orlando is still open. It sits there with almost no line every time I go. If it were any other ride, they would have shut it down years ago. But there it sits, a relic of a bygone era.

live with fruit posted:

Ryan Gosling probably got buy-your-own-island money.

Don't forget Chris Evans.

Either way, that is an insane budget.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

It really is, and you can probably rest easy knowing it isn’t going anywhere.

Supposedly after Universal closed the one in Hollywood, Spielberg had a poo poo fit and said they would only touch the one in Florida over his dead body

So that one is safe, for a little while at least

Amblin had major layoffs and downsizing last year. Hope Spielberg can hold onto that clout because that ride was awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hold on just planning a trip to Orlando to take acid and ride ET nonstop for hours

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

I refuse to believe the man who directed Star Wars (1977) directed this scene.

That's good, because he didn't.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lucas could never direct a star wars that looks that bad

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dillbag posted:

That's good, because he didn't.

I was referring to the “Lucas ghost directed parts of ROTJ” theory. If that’s true, I can’t include this scene in that list, is all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The premise is way way up my alley, but I just really don't like that tone. Not every all-ages film has to be the same smarmy MCU poo poo, Disney.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

lucas could never direct a star wars that looks that bad

coughprequels looking Wing Commander cutscenescough

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

The premise is way way up my alley, but I just really don't like that tone. Not every all-ages film has to be the same smarmy MCU poo poo, Disney.

yeah agree

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I was referring to the “Lucas ghost directed parts of ROTJ” theory. If that’s true, I can’t include this scene in that list, is all.

As the story goes, the Tatooine location work was very early in the shoot. It was the terrible quality of the Sarlacc action in particular, especially in how hard it was to cut into anything coherent, that prompted Lucas to take over direction for action or effects heavy sequences for the rest of the production.

There's a lot of conflicting verbal history around the production, but at the least, there's quite a lot of documentary roll showing Lucas very much directing later sequences in the film while Marquand hung back. The Sarlacc sequence is shot with confusing blocking that's incoherent in a way that nothing else Lucas has shot is.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

thrawn527 posted:

Going back several pages, but I agree that a lot of the Jabba stuff is great. But some of it is just terribly directed. Like, look at this shot, and despair:

I maintain this is the worst looking shot in all of the Star Wars films. And we just hold on it for a several seconds, like it's wonderful. And it's just ugly as all hell. Everyone's just standing there like they're waiting for their deli order. I refuse to believe the man who directed Star Wars (1977) directed this scene. Or maybe he truly had just given up by that point.

I'd never heard the "Lucas ghost directed" rumour, but I gotta say that as an aged nerd willing to take off the rose-tinted glasses that I think none of the Jabba section really works. I loved it as a kid, and I wish it worked for me as an adult like all the rest does, but the whole thing is a poorly shot version of a plan that also makes no sense, and it feels so out of context being a side-quest at the start of the film. For 45 minutes RotJ is baggy and draggy and not actually that great at all.

But then the final hour is just incredible, with that amazing space battle, the huge emotional weight of Vader's redemption which lands even on the 50th viewing, and hot take I adored the ewoks taking down the stormtroopers and 39 years later I'm still 100% behind that.

The opening is tolerable, but nostalgia and the great back half carries it. If the whole movie that been that quality it would have been far less of a cultural phenomenon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7LytagKlc

Oh hell yes

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

not to get into powel levels or anything but the fundamental problem is a heavily armed highly trained band of spec.ops dudes got rocked by a predator, seems even more unfair to go against torched and bows. is there a reasonable handicap on the predator here?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
predators are like soulslike gamers, some of them like chumping people 200m away with their p2w noobtube, and some do str and dex builds for up close fights that are more rewarding, and so their predator friends won't tease them for going the easy route

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress yeah - that looks so good!

kliras posted:

predators are like soulslike gamers, some of them like chumping people 200m away with their p2w noobtube, and some do str and dex builds for up close fights that are more rewarding, and so their predator friends won't tease them for going the easy route

:lol: Amazing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ammanas posted:

not to get into powel levels or anything but the fundamental problem is a heavily armed highly trained band of spec.ops dudes got rocked by a predator, seems even more unfair to go against torched and bows. is there a reasonable handicap on the predator here?

Predators become more effective the more heavily armed their opponents are. The less armed they are, the more they suck.

Evidence: Predator 2 when a Predator loses in melee comba to Danny Glover. Predators, when a predator loses in melee combat against a guy with a katana etc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Predators become more effective the more heavily armed their opponents are. The less armed they are, the more they suck.

Evidence: Predator 2 when a Predator loses in melee comba to Danny Glover. Predators, when a predator loses in melee combat against a guy with a katana etc

Danny Glover would beat a guy with a Katana.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Zzulu posted:

Yeah they're great until their optical camo fritzes out or their shoulder laser malfunctions then they're just 6'5 265lb monsters with wrist swords going against 5'8 140lb natives

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ammanas posted:

Yeah they're great until their optical camo fritzes out or their shoulder laser malfunctions then they're just 6'5 265lb monsters with wrist swords going against 5'8 140lb natives

Nobody said that Predators like losing. They just have an ethical thing about making it slightly fairer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I imagine it will involve the Predator getting overconfident and falling to human ingenuity and persistence, as per usual.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I trust in Dan Trachtenberg to do some thing different and interesting. I mentioned this in the CineD discord but man it's cool seeing him be some little guy making small films and being the movie guy on Totally Rad Show from years ago to a Hollywood blockbuster director.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 7, 2022

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like that goon’s suggestion that the Predator Hunters are like the weeaboos and failsons of their race who are useless without their tech advantages. They may be imposing but end up losing to…Adrian Brody.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gatts posted:

I like that goon’s suggestion that the Predator Hunters are like the weeaboos and failsons of their race who are useless without their tech advantages. They may be imposing but end up losing to…Adrian Brody.

A Predator holding up a human skull/spine and posing is like Donald Trump Jr on one of his safaris in Africa, he thinks he’s being cool but is actually a pampered inept baby and disgusts all the other Predators back home

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Was the bear holding a weapon? Or was that not a rule yet?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The bear is a weapon. Have you never seen surviving edged weapons???

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

kliras posted:

Predators are Rivers of Blood/Moonveil users. Chumps that are jack poo poo without their op spam weapons, and disconnect (i.e. nuke themselves) when they know they're about to lose

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It was a really great decision to make Predators sport hunters. People intrinsically understand that sport hunting is disgusting. Little kids know that Elmer Fudd deserves to be tormented.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

drat that looks like a loving predator movie

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks pretty good but the perfect english is throwing me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Looks pretty good but the perfect english is throwing me off

In the tradition of one of McTiernan's other movies they should zoom in on the mouth of a person speaking Commanche, and have them switch to English.