Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Has Tanaka even officially left every advisory role on FFXI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Mandoric posted:

Yoshi-P has also left FFXIV, and appears to not be dead. Unless he's a lich, which would be pretty fuckin' metal.

(He'd basically got the road paved to be, at the minimum, a newer, bigger Kawazu "just give him what he wants he's why we're in business" type, though. Not seeing the Mistwalker.)

He hasn't left FFXIV though, he's working on XVI and XIV both. I'm not sure where you got this idea.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The voice actors are all talented people, they just were given absolute poo poo to work with.

Lightning's actress in LR, who is *intentionally* supposed to have her emotions tamped down, is more expressive than in FFXIII where she's supposed to be a barely contained simmering bundle of rage. Whatever you want to say about LR's localization it at bare loving minimum had more competent VA direction.

Yeah. Casual reminder- Lightning is also Palutena in KI:U and Liara in ME, two performances at the far far at the other end of the quality spectrum from the XIII dubs. S-E has had notoriously poo poo voice direction for forever and it's a minor miracle FFXIV somehow slipped the noose and actually let people speaking English actually speak like someone speaking English and not someone speaking Japanese using the wrong script because S-E went right back to it with FFXV and KH3.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cleretic posted:

Doesn't it have a whole thing where if someone dies everyone's memories of them are wiped, too? Opera Omnia made a thing out of other game's characters learning about that and being all 'hey what the gently caress'.

Spoiler-tagging that because I have no idea how big a detail that is, but it's the one detail that's kept Type-0 on my radar, that idea has potential.
Yes but IIRC it's war-is-hell set dressing up until it's not because the series of twists and turns in resolving a FNC story includes the party forgetting the story resolving plan because the originator died until some serious out of frame of reference bullshit sets them back on course again.

I have always wanted to like Type 0 but it's miserable to play after experiencing decent action RPG like FF15 let alone a truly fun and unique one like FF7R. And the story presentation makes FF8 and FF13 look well communicated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm sorry but calling FFXV a 'decent' action RPG kinda invalidates your opinions on the quality of action RPGs.

I'll grant that it has different problems to other bad action RPGs, but that doesn't make it better.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah. Casual reminder- Lightning is also Palutena in KI:U and Liara in ME, two performances at the far far at the other end of the quality spectrum from the XIII dubs. S-E has had notoriously poo poo voice direction for forever and it's a minor miracle FFXIV somehow slipped the noose and actually let people speaking English actually speak like someone speaking English and not someone speaking Japanese using the wrong script because S-E went right back to it with FFXV and KH3.

What's your take on FFX's dub? Just wondering as it came up in a discord I'm in with people saying it had godawful voice direction.

Of course I've heard this before but I have never seen a problem with it outside notable exceptions like withyunabymyside. Also the Japanese word for yes must have no syllables given Hedy Burress has to say it in a millisecond.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm sorry but calling FFXV a 'decent' action RPG kinda invalidates your opinions on the quality of action RPGs.

I'll grant that it has different problems to other bad action RPGs, but that doesn't make it better.

*gasp* People having a different opinion than me? They must be wrong, instead of it being something subjective.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't he still working on FFXIV?

He's called it his life's work and said he's going to be working on it til the day they shut the servers down in multiple reveal events/live streams from the producers.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

*gasp* People having a different opinion than me? They must be wrong, instead of it being something subjective.

Cleretic has said they have no interest in playing action games before (Likely when the first 16 trailer dropped lol) but even she can understand 15's combat is incredibly mediocre. It's boring when it works and often doesn't. It's as much of a rushed together mess as the actual in game narrative.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Part of why I bounced of XIII was that all I was getting out of the combat was switching paradigms at the right times and mashing x otherwise to get through your attack chain. This was at launch though so it has been a long time and my negative perceptions may have covered up what actual depth I found.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's called it his life's work and said he's going to be working on it til the day they shut the servers down in multiple reveal events/live streams from the producers.

Cleretic has said they have no interest in playing action games before (Likely when the first 16 trailer dropped lol) but even she can understand 15's combat is incredibly mediocre. It's boring when it works and often doesn't. It's as much of a rushed together mess as the actual in game narrative.

Or you know, people could have an entirely different opinion than you. I had a good time with XV, including the story and the combat, and thought it was a good, if decidedly flawed game. So, decent.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Or you know, people could have an entirely different opinion than you. I had a good time with XV, including the story and the combat, and thought it was a good, if decidedly flawed game. So, decent.

yeah that's what mediocre means. Utterly average not spectacular. Like I have great times with games that have not good mechanics. My enjoyment of something, especially a vibes focused roadtrip story game like 15, aren't entirely based on the individual parts.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

NikkolasKing posted:

What's your take on FFX's dub? Just wondering as it came up in a discord I'm in with people saying it had godawful voice direction.

Of course I've heard this before but I have never seen a problem with it outside notable exceptions like withyunabymyside. Also the Japanese word for yes must have no syllables given Hedy Burress has to say it in a millisecond.

I think X was a pretty good localization, within the limits they had. Weren’t they mostly hamstrung by the load-bearing cutscenes that crashed the game if the dialogue went a millisecond over the Japanese audio?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

yeah that's what mediocre means. Utterly average not spectacular. Like I have great times with games that have not good mechanics. My enjoyment of something, especially a vibes focused roadtrip story game like 15, aren't entirely based on the individual parts.

Mediocre and decent....don't mean the same thing, at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think FFXV is a terribly compelling action game but "synonyms" can have different connotations, you know

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

they do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

15's combat is a solid C. When it's working I barely have to think about it or really do anything but it's not really impressive and often the physics or just how the game prioritizes animations or attacks borks out and warp strikes don't work or you clip straight through enemies trying to hit them with a dual technique. It's decent, a little mediocre.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HD DAD posted:

I think X was a pretty good localization, within the limits they had. Weren’t they mostly hamstrung by the load-bearing cutscenes that crashed the game if the dialogue went a millisecond over the Japanese audio?

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/true-tales-from-localization-hell

quote:

Alexander O. Smith: Well, nobody really knew what they were doing, even on the Japanese side, and that led to one key miscommunication in the lead-up to the project. And, the miscommunication that happened was [voice director] Jack [Fletcher] had asked several months before the project began whether there was going to be ADR recording—to lip flaps, basically. And he was told by somebody—not at Square Japan but at Square Hawaii—who had been working as a go-between, that there would not be syncing to lips. And, the video that he had received at that point, a few months before we actually began recording, was indeed rough cut and didn’t have lip-flaps, or where it did they were garbage flaps that had nothing to do what was being said—the mouths were just moving randomly.

Essentially, it came down to having to rewrite the script to fit not just the lips, but also very, very strict length considerations. We had been aware of that when we were working on the original translation, but we didn’t realize how serious they were about not having the English voices go over the length of the Japanese voices at any point. Because the way that the game engine was triggering sound files was tied into the same system that it was using to trigger action on the screen, so if you had a sound file that went overboard by even half a second, it could throw off the entire scene and you could get a crash

Also Smith specifically addresses the yes thing:

quote:

[With] a ten-frame [line of dialogue], you can’t even say "yes" in ten frames. It’s thirty frames a second, so ten frames is a third of a second, and you can’t say the English word "yes." You can say the Japanese word hai in twelve frames, but you can’t say "yes" in twelve frames, because the "s" sound drags out. No matter what you do, you end up around 25 frames or something

So there were definite problems but everybody involved - directors, translators, voices - gave it their all and it shows. They made the best of what they had and it sounds good in my book.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 5, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That frame thing is absolutely fascinating.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
AngryRobotsInc, I hope people constantly repeating their subjective opinion at you has convinced you that your subjective opinion is objectively wrong.

Especially when they refuse to acknowledge the obvious use of two different words:

Definition of mediocre
: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ORDINARY, SO-SO

Definition of decent
4: fairly good : ADEQUATE, SATISFACTORY

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 5, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That gave us some memorable lines though, such as

"inthechamberofthefayth!"
"withyunabymyside"
"even in... deathya?"
"ihateudad"

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The voice actors in X all did an amazing job considering the limitations they were working under.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Really cherry picking some definitions there when you have to go 4 down when the first one for decent is "Of acceptable quality" and the first for mediocre is "of only moderate quality".

Moderate here meaning "of average amount" which is typically how we define acceptable. Just kind of average. Decent. Mediocre.

Oh god nevermind you're that weirdo that argued with the entire thread about Quitis. because you don't get subtext.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 5, 2022

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mediocre just SOUNDS like a heavy insult.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Alxprit posted:

Mediocre just SOUNDS like a heavy insult.

It just means mid.

And like that's fine sometimes. It's okay to like things that are mid. I've been in a healthy relationship for a decade and my partner clearly loves something that's mid.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This is a dumb argument

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Really cherry picking some definitions there when you have to go 4 down when the first one for decent is "Of acceptable quality" and the first for mediocre is "of only moderate quality".

Moderate here meaning "of average amount" which is typically how we define acceptable. Just kind of average. Decent. Mediocre.

Oh god nevermind you're that weirdo that argued with the entire thread about Quitis. because you don't get subtext.

So you, who can't understand the connotation of "mediocre" being negative and "decent" being positive, are giving me a hard time about not getting subtext. Ok.

And I went down four definitions because the rest don't apply here:

Definition of decent
1: marked by moral integrity, kindness, and goodwill
hard-working and decent folks
it's very decent of them to help
2a: conforming to standards of propriety, good taste, or morality
decent behavior
b: modestly clothed
3: free from immodesty or obscenity
decent language
4: fairly good : ADEQUATE, SATISFACTORY
decent wages

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
To actually explain why I think XV is a bad action game, it kinda comes down to two points. I remember having more extensive opinions on these when I played it, but 'FFXV wasn't a good action game' isn't exactly a stance I have to regularly argue in detail.

1. Actual control layout is hot garbage. There's three different control schemes and they're all bad. It's not like 'action game controls' were an unsolved problem at the time, we'd generally gotten the hang of how something like this should work, and then XV goes off reinventing the wheel and somehow producing a rhombus. I remember not even bothering with a controller and just using mouse and keyboard, because at least then the 'attack' and 'dodge' buttons are in something resembling logical positions.

2. Floaty to the point of meaninglessness. 'Floaty' isn't necessarily a problem in action games, and I get the feeling that they were going for something similar to what Nier Automata actually did very well, where if you're playing well then movement is very constant and flowing. But in Nier Automata everything still matters and you can tell when your actions are or aren't working; in XV none of your attacks feel like they have any real weight to them, and the angle of 'hold down the dodge button to keep dodging, there is no punishment for doing this' means that there's also no real weight to the defense game, either. Nothing feels like it matters, everything just feels like it happens. Which also means that, in the event something's gone wrong, there's not much in the way of feedback.

I say that's different from usual bad action games because most of them I've played are bad by instead being unfair or awkward; you've got games like the original Kingdom Hearts (and several parts of its sequels, but KH1 had it way more often) where a lot of its collision is very weird in the enemy's favor and the enemies can also randomly decide to be invulnerable or to not be in a combo anymore, and of course you've got later games that look at Dark Souls and go 'the way to make a good action game is by being bullshit'. XV ends up being a bad action game in the other direction, it's an action game where the action is so easy as to be worthless.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 5, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It ain't a FF thread without 2 of the regular gaslighters starting another fight on literally nothing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tae posted:

It ain't a FF thread without 2 of the regular gaslighters starting another fight on literally nothing

https://twitter.com/Goobbue_XIV/status/1533180615536803841

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

FFX's dub is not great but FFX's Japanese voice acting is great either. Tidus' voice actor isn't super great to begin with and from what I've heard basically got FFX's role because he had experience with motion capture already. (He and Yuna's actress both did motion capture for FF8 in fact.) He's gotten better since then but to be honest English Tidus is just a better actor.

Mayuko Aoki however is a reaaaaal low point. She is genuinely not a good voice actress and there is a reason she has basically only ever played Yuna. She tries but she just isn't good.

I genuinely will go to bat for the FFX dub over the sub even despite its many flaws because the two leads are just better.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mustached Demon posted:

Ya know... They should have just turned Lulu into the belt knight instead of bringing Paine into it.

Paine rules, and I'm glad they introduced her as the third party member rather than using Lulu again.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I never played X-2 because when it came out I thought the story was complete and the jpop theming confused me, also where was Lulu? As I got older I found out that they made Lulu marry Wakka so I refuse to play X-2 based entirely on them doing Lulu dirty.

X did at least set up a connection between Lulu and Wakka, but I agree, Lulu could've done better than having to marry Wakka. It does lead to a goofy bit where Lulu's supposed to be several months pregnant, but they couldn't be bothered to create a new Lulu model for that. :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget that Wakka is supposed to be chunky but the guy is still jacked. Not even dad bod somewhat fit but got some flab, just muscles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah Seymour is the one with the dadbod

i know it's an illusion created by the weird top but i can't unsee it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Leal posted:

Don't forget that Wakka is supposed to be chunky but the guy is still jacked. Not even dad bod somewhat fit but got some flab, just muscles.

...yeah, if that was the idea for Wakka I never got it. I always pictured him as 'small-town athlete from a conservative town', and he fits that. He's not like, major-athlete-fit, but he's someone who says he's serious about the weekly football games and you can buy it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for console when, Square Enix? I wanna play FF6 on my Switch please.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

...yeah, if that was the idea for Wakka I never got it. I always pictured him as 'small-town athlete from a conservative town', and he fits that. He's not like, major-athlete-fit, but he's someone who says he's serious about the weekly football games and you can buy it.

And a racist! See it still lines up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Incidentally I think Wakka's my favorite character in X, largely because he's a character that only makes full sense after you've grown up and seen those people in life. As a kid I, and I think a lot of people, didn't like him because he seemed like the same sort of jocks I knew in school, but going back to the game as an adult I saw that he's... well, still one of the jocks I knew in school, but one going through that experience of going out into the world and learning that there's a lot more to it than he was ready for. And... yeah, him being a racist is absolutely part of that, because he's a racist out of ignorance; he has literally never met an Al Bhed, so they only exist to him as an abstract thing to hate.

Auron was another neat one, because what you like about him as a kid is different from what you like about him as an adult.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Incidentally I think Wakka's my favorite character in X, largely because he's a character that only makes full sense after you've grown up and seen those people in life. As a kid I, and I think a lot of people, didn't like him because he seemed like the same sort of jocks I knew in school, but going back to the game as an adult I saw that he's... well, still one of the jocks I knew in school, but one going through that experience of going out into the world and learning that there's a lot more to it than he was ready for. And... yeah, him being a racist is absolutely part of that, because he's a racist out of ignorance; he has literally never met an Al Bhed, so they only exist to him as an abstract thing to hate.

Auron was another neat one, because what you like about him as a kid is different from what you like about him as an adult.

It's intriguing coming back to stories about young people when you ae now an old person. I recently rewatched Buffy and, once upon a time, these were the cool teenagers. Then they were my peers. Now I see them as poor babies who I never want to get hurt. With FFX in recent runs I have really come to find Tidus and Yuna extremely endearing in how awkward they are. Tidus is the jock here but he's thrown into a world where he's nobody and can't coast on his great athletic ability to make up for his crippling brain damage. But by god he will keep trying to flirt with her and Yuna clumsily receives his advances and even tentatively offers some of her own. She might be from Spira but she's just as clueless as him in this area.

They have a cute dynamic that 33-year-old me really likes. I don't have the same reaction at all to Squall and Rinoa or Zidane and Garnet, though.

ImpAtom posted:

FFX's dub is not great but FFX's Japanese voice acting is great either. Tidus' voice actor isn't super great to begin with and from what I've heard basically got FFX's role because he had experience with motion capture already. (He and Yuna's actress both did motion capture for FF8 in fact.) He's gotten better since then but to be honest English Tidus is just a better actor.

Mayuko Aoki however is a reaaaaal low point. She is genuinely not a good voice actress and there is a reason she has basically only ever played Yuna. She tries but she just isn't good.

I genuinely will go to bat for the FFX dub over the sub even despite its many flaws because the two leads are just better.

That is a factor. I've heard criticisms of FFX's dub forever but I also know a lot of defenders. I don't think I've ever heard a good word about the original though and certainly no "use the sub!" like you get with some anime and games. The closest I've seen is there was a "controversy" among tjhe nerdiest of the nerds about the fact the localization changed Yuna's "Thank you" to "I love you." Now I don't know if Kanfy is around but this was a great change in my book and I think even people who understand Japanese would agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FFXV kind needed wait mode for its combat imo. Otherwise it feels way too chaotic and random with zero impact. Like I'm trying to watch the movements of a giant enemy and trying not to abuse dodge too much because I don't want to run out of MP, but because I'm so focused on that I'm not paying attention to the surroundings to find good vantage points to warp strike from and to. It's also flashy but too much so to the point I didn't know what was even happening, compared to something like FF7R which was also flashy but I knew exactly what was happening at all times.

The combat very much felt like "hold buttons and wiggle the stick a bit and stuff happens and then maybe warp strike if you see an indicator and hopefully you win,".