Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Piell posted:

If you're running a con just put out a preemptive statement that everyone attending will be be exposed to covid, just to get it out of the way
I went to a con last August that had zero cases but a. everyone was masking REALLY hard with enforcement and b. it was pre-Omicron. It also wasn't, uh, a TTRPG con; it seems like the table playspace environment would be a great way to spread a respiratory disease in a way that milling about a semi-ventilated dealer's hall or going to a spaced-out auditorium is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah I went to Pax Unplugged last year and it was great, everyone masked up and I don't think any serious outbreak happened

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

GetDunked posted:

It's not perfect by any means--sometimes the gap between "what is useful" and "what is flavorful" in the same category is pretty huge (looking at you, skill feats)--but it's way better than its predecessor in that regard.

I think this is my problem with PF2E; it's better than its predecessor in all regards, I can definitely easily see that, but it's.... it's not good, it's just better than really bad.

Like, yeah, sure, I guess the way PF2E does the grabbag of abilities is actually better than 3E. Is it good, though? Not really. And that just... kinda stays the same throughout PF2E when I'm reading it. Neat little improvements but never willing to make any big changes and therefor still saddled to bad design that emphasizes 'optimal' choices because the game doesn't want to admit it can't do everything.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Absolutely. PF2e is contradictory in places and weak in many more. But it’s the only tactical, immersion stance, adventure supported RPG in active development apart from D&D, and has the bonus of being similar enough to D&D that people will try it out. That alone makes it critically important.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

hyphz posted:

immersion stance

Yes this is the exact problem I spoke about when I said it couldn't admit that it doesn't do everything; the idea that a game can be immersive past what immersion we bring to it is valid. The idea that PF2E does that is comical. Even with all the nods to faux realism with edge-case rules I really hope most of us have realized that there's no such thing as rules creating immersion just by existing, they need to actually drive immersion instead of just being a coherent part of a whole that, necessarily, removes immersion because it is a codification of reality.

edit: For example: I have never once been immersed in a game by rolling for falling damage, even if games that do that mimic reality 'more' than those that don't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s because immersion and realism are separate things and one doesn’t necessarily lend to the other, especially for all people.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
PF2e certainly isn't perfect, and I would absolutely prefer late-era 4th edition, but there isn't really anything else on the market that does what it does right now. It's a D&D-like tactical fantasy RPG with lots of build options and pretty good balance. Not perfect, mind you, some options are definitely better than others, but it still does a pretty good job and the gulf between an optimized character and an unoptimized one isn't nearly as extreme as in 3.5 or PF. Ironically enough, it's the closest thing to 4e with any presence in the market right now.

It also has fighters that are good and cool and fun to play and that counts for a lot in my book.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Father Wendigo posted:

Can we please stop talking about Paizo for a second?

Okay, time for more Paizo.

https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1532858479181979648?t=MqMpT_iMq2nIqkVqRXpd0g&s=19
I've said it before but anyone organising a con that doesn't make masks mandatory and put a booth of nerdbait masks at the front door hates both people and money.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

COVID-19 PAIZO-22

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Splicer posted:

I've said it before but anyone organising a con that doesn't make masks mandatory and put a booth of nerdbait masks at the front door hates both people and money.

I'm wondering if we'll hear about an outbreak at BGG Spring. I think that considering the state it takes place in and the self-selection for people who are not conscientious about masking we won't hear about it, even though an outbreak will almost certainly happen/have happened (I forget if it's happened yet). But of course, we hear about things like the tragic death of an enforcer at Pax East (which has strict masking requirements and seems to take it quite seriously) and people will pretend it doesn't matter no matter what, despite the very big difference between a few isolated incidents at PAX and something like 1/3rd of people at The Gathering testing positive very rapidly (which had a permissive mask policy), according to anecdoal reports. But then again, it's not all bad. Origins sensibly put their mask policy back into place after the completely predictable spike.

Not that it matters for me. I will almost certainly not be at a convention for many years, perhaps not ever again. It's just not worth the risk of dying because some dumbfuck podcast listener coughed on me. I can't play games with 10,000 people anyway, so I'll just play with my friends who I know are vaccinated (except the one guy who legitimately medically cannot).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magnetic North posted:

I'm wondering if we'll hear about an outbreak at BGG Spring. I think that considering the state it takes place in and the self-selection for people who are not conscientious about masking we won't hear about it, even though an outbreak will almost certainly happen/have happened (I forget if it's happened yet). But of course, we hear about things like the tragic death of an enforcer at Pax East (which has strict masking requirements and seems to take it quite seriously) and people will pretend it doesn't matter no matter what, despite the very big difference between a few isolated incidents at PAX and something like 1/3rd of people at The Gathering testing positive very rapidly (which had a permissive mask policy), according to anecdoal reports. But then again, it's not all bad. Origins sensibly put their mask policy back into place after the completely predictable spike.

Not that it matters for me. I will almost certainly not be at a convention for many years, perhaps not ever again. It's just not worth the risk of dying because some dumbfuck podcast listener coughed on me. I can't play games with 10,000 people anyway, so I'll just play with my friends who I know are vaccinated (except the one guy who legitimately medically cannot).
In 2019 I went to my first con in possibly a decade, had lot more fun than I expected, skipped the next big one in my country I wanted to go to because some stuff came up but hey, it's cool, I'm back on/off the wagon depending on your point of view I'll just grab the next one.

That didn't happen.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Darwinism posted:

I think this is my problem with PF2E; it's better than its predecessor in all regards, I can definitely easily see that, but it's.... it's not good, it's just better than really bad.

Like, yeah, sure, I guess the way PF2E does the grabbag of abilities is actually better than 3E. Is it good, though? Not really. And that just... kinda stays the same throughout PF2E when I'm reading it. Neat little improvements but never willing to make any big changes and therefor still saddled to bad design that emphasizes 'optimal' choices because the game doesn't want to admit it can't do everything.
You can't optimize the way you used to in 1E. Hell there really aren't many options that one could argue are optimal. The rogue is the most egregious in that regard but most other classes don't really inspire the level of you need to take this or you'll suck that any edition of D&D did.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does PF2E have weapon chains?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
ICON is actually starting to look pretty good, fortunately.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

UK Games Expo just happened, guess we'll see what happens in a couple of weeks.

They were very cavalier about masks last year.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Darwinism posted:

Yes this is the exact problem I spoke about when I said it couldn't admit that it doesn't do everything; the idea that a game can be immersive past what immersion we bring to it is valid. The idea that PF2E does that is comical. Even with all the nods to faux realism with edge-case rules I really hope most of us have realized that there's no such thing as rules creating immersion just by existing, they need to actually drive immersion instead of just being a coherent part of a whole that, necessarily, removes immersion because it is a codification of reality.

edit: For example: I have never once been immersed in a game by rolling for falling damage, even if games that do that mimic reality 'more' than those that don't.

I mean, it's an awkward word - I think it was being called "actor stance" before, but I dislike that term because actors follow and interpret a script. But the balance of medium awareness required for suspension of disbelief is different between groups, and right now it feels that D&D and PF are the only ones at least trying to minimise the amount the game needs. They don't manage it perfectly, and there are structural issues that inevitably affect the whole hobby, but they seem to be trying. Whereas it's not quite clear if the popularity of the more authorial games among indies is because they think that's the best way to develop a game or because they're easier to design.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As has been said a thousand times : D&D mechanics (including PF) are not unobtrusive or more immersive or less directorial than most others, you're just really used to abstracting over them and forgetting about them because you've been playing with them for years.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

As has been said a thousand times : D&D mechanics (including PF) are not unobtrusive or more immersive or less directorial than most others, you're just really used to abstracting over them and forgetting about them because you've been playing with them for years.

Probably something that depends on the person a lot

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Andrast posted:

Probably something that depends on the person a lot

That's how personal experience tends to work, yes.

This is in direct opposition to them being inherently more "immersive" or whatever.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

I mean, it's an awkward word - I think it was being called "actor stance" before, but I dislike that term because actors follow and interpret a script. But the balance of medium awareness required for suspension of disbelief is different between groups, and right now it feels that D&D and PF are the only ones at least trying to minimise the amount the game needs. They don't manage it perfectly, and there are structural issues that inevitably affect the whole hobby, but they seem to be trying. Whereas it's not quite clear if the popularity of the more authorial games among indies is because they think that's the best way to develop a game or because they're easier to design.
I don't know which is weirder - the idea that D&D/PF are intentionally designing things that way, or the idea that indie devs do things another way because it's easier.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hyphz posted:

I mean, it's an awkward word - I think it was being called "actor stance" before, but I dislike that term because actors follow and interpret a script. But the balance of medium awareness required for suspension of disbelief is different between groups, and right now it feels that D&D and PF are the only ones at least trying to minimise the amount the game needs.They don't manage it perfectly, and there are structural issues that inevitably affect the whole hobby, but they seem to be trying. Whereas it's not quite clear if the popularity of the more authorial games among indies is because they think that's the best way to develop a game or because they're easier to design.

If we're looking at "suspension of disbelief" in a game where hit points are consequence free until you lose the last one and in a game where the rulebook sprawls over several hundred pages we're looking in the wrong place. As for "immersion stance" and acting as your character does (and for that matter realism) I find there does not exist a single edition of D&D or PF that can touch Apocalypse World. If anything I'd refer to the D&D basic stance as anti-immersive as with the DM having solo control over the world it means that as an inhabitant I can never truly be confident there. Possibly "Isekai Stance" would be better where it enforces that my character is a tourist and only knows themself.

Meanwhile even following your basic "game design should have stuck in the 90s" priorities the first game I'd mention, of course, is WFRP 4e. It has the stance you like - and plenty of adventures. And isn't too much of a jump. Warhammer: Soulbound and 40k: Wrath and Glory are only slightly bigger jumps. Vampire: the Masquerade has the stance you want and far more tactical elements than intended - and Trails of Ash and Bone came out last year. Shadowrun's another tactical game with adventures coming out. I could easily continue.

As for "the popularity of the more authorial games among the indies" being "because they're easier to design"? Are you kidding me? Extruded fantasy product in authorial stance with half-assed unplaytested adventures has been churned out since the 1970s. As long as you don't apply quality control (and let's face it many games don't apply much) it's about the easiest thing there is to do. The more authorial games are more modern because we didn't figure them out at all until relatively recently (with the first systematic ones I'd say being in 2003 with Fate and My Life With Master - and them only getting good and flexible as opposed to very niche in about 2010 with Apocalypse World, Leverage, and Fate Core).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
All I can contribute here is that crunchy tactical games aren't more difficult to design, but they're a lot more difficult to test. Assuming of course that you care about things like balance, which indie designers often do and the flagship of the hobby very clearly does not.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

neonchameleon posted:

If we're looking at "suspension of disbelief" in a game where hit points are consequence free until you lose the last one

hit points are a combination of luck and speed and stamina and armor and losing your last one is meant to be the time you weren't able to parry the blow and the attacker managed to slip his weapon into an unarmored spot etc, so it does make plenty of sense

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

hit points are a combination of luck and speed and stamina and armor and losing your last one is meant to be the time you weren't able to parry the blow and the attacker managed to slip his weapon into an unarmored spot etc, so it does make plenty of sense

I believe they are referring to how your character is fully capable and nothing about their status changes at all whether they are at 1hp or 1,000 hp.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
PF2e has some things I like in it but it just looks like too much work. Like, 4e was by no means a light game, but there was a sense of it being streamlined from 3e- a lot of little things were simplified, encumbrance rules were more basic, slashing/piercing/bludgeoning was gone, DR in general was simplified and made rarer, XP budgets were easier to handle than CR, etc. There is a certain sense of classes just *working* and of just being able to do certain things, whereas PF2 looks to try and reach the same ends through the accumulation of feats. And they give you a lot of freebies so you absolutely have the ability to do those things but you have to make sure to write it all down. Like, making a 1st level character in 4e *can* be involved if you have a specific concept in mind, but you can also whip up a basic sword-and-shield fighter or wizard with a fire spell and be ready to go.

Like it may be that asking for a balanced, tactical, and crunchy game that also has an easy on-ramp is asking for the moon but 4e hit a certain sweet spot.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The secret to Pathfinder is downloading Pathbuilder to make/manage your character and play one of the APs. Easiest on ramp to gaming for new players or just people like me who are adults with families and just don't have the time to make a custom campaign.

A new part of an adventure coming out every month is incredible, and based on my groups experience the six part ones can take a few years to get through at a easier pace.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Leraika posted:

ICON is actually starting to look pretty good, fortunately.

I was gonna to say, folks should play more Strike!, Let Thrones Beware, LANCER, or further afield / with slightly more provisos, Fragged Empire, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Valor, Spellbound Kingdoms...

e: and that's honestly just my recently played + backlog, it's been a hot minute since i actually went looking for new games of this genre altogether so this list is, if anything, pretty dated

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 5, 2022

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s because immersion and realism are separate things and one doesn’t necessarily lend to the other, especially for all people.

"immersion" has supplanted "simulationism" as the hot term that's bandied about constantly despite being utterly meaningless on its own, because people use it to refer simultaneously to both systems that emulate realism and systems that emulate genre fidelity, as if those two goals aren't inherently contradictory

or rather, they're contradictory unless you operate on the unstated assumption that old-school-style D&D is (against all common sense) both realistic and successful at simulating a genre of fantasy fiction that exists outside of its own tropes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Personally I do not care about immersion or whatever but I do find D&D style dungeon crawling action very fun and PF2 is pretty great at it imo

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
PF2 is the best at actual game mechanics and balance that D&D-likes have ever been besides 4E

The idea that is pursuing "immersion" or minimizing "suspension of disbelief" is nonsense, their goal was to actually make a good and balanced game

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Piell posted:

PF2 is the best at actual game mechanics and balance that D&D-likes have ever been besides 4E

Yes, exactly. "Immersion" and "simulation" are pretty horrible phrases, but the things they're trying to be used to describe exist.

Hit points might come across as no less valid an abstraction than daily moves, but players - grogs or otherwise - still do ask why their PC can't do a sword move more than once a day. Nobody asks why their PC didn't have their leg mutilated. And if anyone asks why they can't deliberately chop off the NPCs leg, "because they're trying to stop you" is usually accepted as an answer.

Yes, the players might not know what is and isn't improvised. Finding a clue taped underneath the Mayor's desk feels better if you can believe it was always there, rightly or wrongly. It feels even better if you know that many other people have played the same adventure and found or not found the same clue in the same place and you can go gloat about it online.

In my brief doomed period of trying to attract local interest in narrative games, I found reasons for disinterest I'd never considered. Several parents pointed out that they do collaborative storytelling with their children anyway and don't need to do more. One mentioned that the visual aspect was critical (remember how the old Tomb of Horrors had a book of illustrations with it, so that the GM would show the players a first-person view of the room they were entering as the PCs entered it? When did that stop? Why?)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
verisimilitude,

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Source your quotes, hyphz

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

hyphz posted:

Yes, exactly. "Immersion" and "simulation" are pretty horrible phrases, but the things they're trying to be used to describe exist.

Hit points might come across as no less valid an abstraction than daily moves, but players - grogs or otherwise - still do ask why their PC can't do a sword move more than once a day. Nobody asks why their PC didn't have their leg mutilated. And if anyone asks why they can't deliberately chop off the NPCs leg, "because they're trying to stop you" is usually accepted as an answer.

Yes, the players might not know what is and isn't improvised. Finding a clue taped underneath the Mayor's desk feels better if you can believe it was always there, rightly or wrongly. It feels even better if you know that many other people have played the same adventure and found or not found the same clue in the same place and you can go gloat about it online.

In my brief doomed period of trying to attract local interest in narrative games, I found reasons for disinterest I'd never considered. Several parents pointed out that they do collaborative storytelling with their children anyway and don't need to do more. One mentioned that the visual aspect was critical (remember how the old Tomb of Horrors had a book of illustrations with it, so that the GM would show the players a first-person view of the room they were entering as the PCs entered it? When did that stop? Why?)
This is all just your weird anecdotes of people doing things I've literally never encountered. I've never had anyone ask why someone can only do a sword move once per day but I've had multiple conversations about HP nonsense and what it's actually supposed to mean

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Arguing about what HP means has gotta be the most common nerd debate when it comes to D&D, right? At least, it's the one I've heard discussed the most both offline and online. As for people going "I already tell stories with my kids" or needing illustrations to get into the game... Hyphz, I'm beginning to think you're cursed. Nothing on you, just every story about your local playerbase makes it seem like you're living in the Negative Zone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Also - Tomb of Horrors illustrations never really started. It was one adventure.

And I'm stumped as to what it has to do with.... more narrative adventures?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

gtrmp posted:

"immersion" has supplanted "simulationism" as the hot term that's bandied about constantly despite being utterly meaningless on its own, because people use it to refer simultaneously to both systems that emulate realism and systems that emulate genre fidelity, as if those two goals aren't inherently contradictory

Eh, it makes sense if you take the position that 'realism' in tabletop gaming and media is just another genre with it's own tropes and stock characters and such. Realistic games don't simulate reality, because that's absurd; they give the impression of realness. This is why realistic military games tend to have big charts of nearly-identical AK variants instead of just lumping every assault rifle into one category. It's a prop that implies more reality is there than actually is.

But that's not a very groggy perspective, so I doubt that's what they're saying.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Also - Tomb of Horrors illustrations never really started. It was one adventure.
To be fair, Barrier Peaks and Tomoachan had them too. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BinaryDoubts posted:

Arguing about what HP means has gotta be the most common nerd debate when it comes to D&D, right? At least, it's the one I've heard discussed the most both offline and online.

Enough that people keep the Gygax quote from the ADHD era handy in case it flares up again.

Gary Gygax posted:

It is quite unreasonable to assume that as a character gains levels of ability
in his or her class that a corresponding gain in actual ability to sustain
physical damage takes place. It is preposterous to state such an
assumption, for if we are to assume that a man is killed by a sword thrust
which does 4 hit points of damage, we must similarly assume that a hero
could, on the average, withstand five such thrusts before being slain! Why
then the increase in hit points? Because these reflect both the actual
physical ability of the character to withstand damage - as indicated by
constitution bonuses- and a commensurate increase in such areas as skill
in combat and similar life-or-death situations, the "sixth sense" whith
warns the individual of some otherwise unforeseen events, sheer luck,
and the fantastic provisions of magical protections and/or divine
protection. Therefore, constitution affects both actual ability to withstand
physical punishment hit points (physique) and the immeasurable areas
which involve the sixth sense and luck (fitness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bespoke RPG illustrations for every notable room didn't catch on because art is more expensive than words and stat blocks.