Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't forget to throw in at least one fake out cliffhanger chapter per book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

One of the best character deaths of all time. :allears:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao you weren't kidding that is incredibly satisfying

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Re: Dubs:

I do like checking out what an anime's dub sounds like after watching it subbed, just to see what certain characters or moments sound like in English.

The vast majority of the time, the actors sound either incredibly bored and flat or extremely over the top in ways that just bring down the experience.*

That said, my girlfriend and I are watching through the Kaguya-sama: Love is War dub before watching the third season because it's just that loving good. The dub takes the wit and sarcasm of the sub and adds that over the top enthusiasm and punched up dialogue in a way that loving *works* and you can tell the actors probably had a blast doing it. It's got a lot of its own special brand of charm to it that most dubs don't have, without it changing the entire feel of the show or making it annoying.

* I'm sure there's plenty of bored line delivery or irritating over the top-ness in Japanese as well, but I simply don't see it as well since I'm not a native speaker.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i love sonic

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's one of those things that I think immediately gets caught in binary politicking and any nuanced difference between having normal and far extreme opinions on what happened just get lost in it all. Like every time twitter stops to have a discussion about how the harassment someone got was horrific, and then people turn around and start harassing everyone who enabled the harassment. Like yeah, a lot of times it was poo poo how people contributed to it, but it's also usually disproportionate back-backlash. It sucks all around.

I think a lot of people got traumatized by the one-two punch of "Wow, a lot of beloved people turned out to be nazis" and "Wow, a lot of beloved people turned out to be sex pests" and the ensuing battles to get rid of those elements against people who liked said people for various reasons, so it turned into a whole "No nuance, no compromise, the second we see problematic behavior, we are removing that poo poo."

Which is fine if your problematic behavior is "provably grooming people" or "clearly a nazi," but twitter fandom attracts people who think that "likes shipping Hot Darth Vader Fanboy and Main Character Girl" means "actively condones abusive relationships" and "likes a show where villains get reformed through the magic of friendship" means "is a fascist apologist."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Puppy Time posted:

I think a lot of people got traumatized by the one-two punch of "Wow, a lot of beloved people turned out to be nazis" and "Wow, a lot of beloved people turned out to be sex pests" and the ensuing battles to get rid of those elements against people who liked said people for various reasons, so it turned into a whole "No nuance, no compromise, the second we see problematic behavior, we are removing that poo poo."

Which is fine if your problematic behavior is "provably grooming people" or "clearly a nazi," but twitter fandom attracts people who think that "likes shipping Hot Darth Vader Fanboy and Main Character Girl" means "actively condones abusive relationships" and "likes a show where villains get reformed through the magic of friendship" means "is a fascist apologist."

Eh maybe somewhat, but I think it's messier than that. Twitter certainly doesn't help since it's optimized for shotgun blasting extreme positive/negative feelings into the void or at other people, and it's so big and unfiltered anyway. The whole "ur fav is problematic" thing was a big issue on tumblr, too, before the 2016 election or #metoo. There was a lot of discourse around how especially things produced by minority creators were held to an unrealistic standard of peerless perfection, and then would face extreme backlash the minute something was perceived not the meet those expectations. Meanwhile, media that comes out of the white hetero-normative conglomerate passes with comparably little negative feedback.

I'm pretty sure there's an old Sarah Z video recorded on a shoe on the topic.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Eh maybe somewhat, but I think it's messier than that. Twitter certainly doesn't help since it's optimized for shotgun blasting extreme positive/negative feelings into the void or at other people, and it's so big and unfiltered anyway. The whole "ur fav is problematic" thing was a big issue on tumblr, too, before the 2016 election or #metoo. There was a lot of discourse around how especially things produced by minority creators were held to an unrealistic standard of peerless perfection, and then would face extreme backlash the minute something was perceived not the meet those expectations. Meanwhile, media that comes out of the white hetero-normative conglomerate passes with comparably little negative feedback.

I'm pretty sure there's an old Sarah Z video recorded on a shoe on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ctRfI7cuM

Aged like a fine wine.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

A game of chicken between "People under the age should never have to interact or even think the idea of anything sexual, and that includes actual things they want to do or discuss" vs "Until very recently, an out transperson could be arrested with a charge of public indecency since their openness was seen by the law as a showcase of kink" is played, nearly every day, online, even on this forum. I have seen several times this field occur where literally both sides of the arguments were portraying the other side as "tumblr naive kids". The "Ok is it good or bad that Target now has LGBTQ pride stuff on it" conversation had this happening.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 5, 2022

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I think there's just an inherent tension between "kids are stupid and easily impressionable because their brains aren't done being formed" and "kids are human beings," with the simple nature of those two facts lending themselves to conflict over how to protect kids from people who want to prey on them. But I don't know why people act as though kids under 18 being interested in sexual stuff is abhorrent and dangerous, we all were kids under 18 and we all remember that our lives were deeply sexually charged then. One of my deepest failures as a human being is cutting myself completely off from my sister when, during a game we rented, she said how hot she thought the videogame babes were that you got as a reward for placing first. I had no idea about homosexuality at all because it was the mid 90s(also I was an early teen and she was a pre-teen), so I thought that I was influencing her and ruining her because she wasn't growing up normal. I thought the best thing for me to do was to cut her out of my hobbies and not play games together anymore, so she would grow up normally.

Of course, she took that as a deep rejection of who she was and it hurt her for decades. Things put into a genesis game to appeal to the audience of pimply teen boys they were trying to reach, something everyone understood was a thing that pimply teenage boys liked, caused a rift and injury between my sister and I because I didn't have any idea about gay people. I just... like, we've been making jokes about what it's like being 13 for as long as I've been alive, yet we've been also making it a scandal to try and explain anything about that poo poo to them as long as I've been alive, and predators have gleefully stepped in to fill that void in order to gain influence for as long as I've been alive. So while I get it, it also feels like we refuse to go anywhere with all the information we have and instead just keep fighting over the conflict of two truths.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lmao you weren't kidding that is incredibly satisfying

After sitting through a full minute of that voice I was mad he only got thrown out of the plane. The follow up was :discourse:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I know it's nostalgia holding my brain hostage but the Gundam Wing dub slaps and you cannot change my mind. Yeah it's like the quintessential bad 90's dub but the actors are at least trying, and Drummond unironically owns Zechs despite having some pretty big shoes to fill in replacing Takehito Koyasu.

Special shout out to Sally and Noin who - every time they're in a scene together - just do nothing but wax philosophical bullshit to one another in a manner that even their VA's clearly thing is beyond pretentious.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
General Septum is a masterclass in bad dubbing. I had no idea that was his actual name, and I can't imagine the choice of "all nose" to be uninfluenced by that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Puppy Time posted:

But therein lies the problem: people who think 'cartoon villain gets reformed through the power of friendship = fascism apologia' or the like most likely do so because they see it as being the precursor or warning sign to worse behavior, so the belief is that you have to stamp it out before it takes root. As a result, you have people constantly policing fandoms and hobby spaces, and bringing the hammer down on individuals or groups who they deem to have crossed the line for what is acceptable.

But since that line isn't determined by some uniform standard, and instead by the individual(s) policing the community, the result is a lot of people who make or post otherwise benign things becoming the target of harassment, and being ostracized from the community, and potentially other places as well, depending on how far the controversy reaches.

What's worse is that in a lot of cases, the kind of people who pride or establish themselves as being those kind of guardians do so because they themselves are guilty of the behaviors they condemn, so they project it onto others.

There's argument about whether or not cancel culture is an actual thing or not, but I think periperhal to that is the idea of 'callout culture'. Some will say that you have a duty or obligation to call out bad behavior when you see it, but it leads to a lot of underlying problems. To me, creates this climate where I think people are sometimes hesitant or scared to voice opinions that go against the grain of what's popular or accepted, in fear that they'll get harangued from everyone across the globe for it. You can say, 'well, you need to call people out when they say stupid poo poo online', but when it's done publicly, it results in people getting dogpiled, which I think makes the problem worse. If someone PMs you, taking issue with something you said, I think that's manageable. When someone retweets something you said to their ten-thousand followers, and you get fifty-thousand tweets telling you different variations of 'u suck, kill urself my mane', that might screw with your brain a bit.

What I think of off the top of my head is what Lindsey Ellis went through, in two occasions. When she did her video on the alpha-omega Bane werewolf fanfiction author, one of the things she said was, 'please do not harass the author about all this'. That phrase is something that I hear a lot of content creator say when they discuss others online in a negative light, so as to dissuade people from harassing the individual (obviously), but also as a way to renounce anyone who might do so regardless. From what I remember, the author did get harassed after that video went out (it was brought up here in the thread). It occurred to me, though, that even if you're light with you criticism, and make a preface about not harassing the individual, it still ends up opening the door to that happening, because you have targeted the individual in some capacity.

The other occasion was her tweet about Raya, which from what I understand, was the catalyst for what caused her to call it quits. From what I recall, the issue was that Lindsey dunked on Raya for trying to imitate Avatar: The Last Airbender, and someone retorted by saying that Raya was done by a creator/team that was of Asian descent, unlike Avatar. On its own, the Raya tweet just seemed misinformed (again, it's been a while since that happened, and I don't remember what exactly was said), but it seemed like it snowballed into a much bigger issue than it was. I know there was a point where she told people off in a video (which I imagine was probably perceived as "doubling down"), but I kind of look at as her being fed with people making a mountain out of molehill with the tweet, because everyone who saw the reply chimed in on it. I lost track of what happened after that point, so maybe there's more I'm not aware of.

"Well, what's your solution, Max?" I don't have a solution. I just kind of bring this up because these are issues I've seen with internet discourse in the last few years. Some of this stuff I'm pointing out might be obvious, but I just wanted to talk about it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

I think there's just an inherent tension between "kids are stupid and easily impressionable because their brains aren't done being formed" and "kids are human beings," with the simple nature of those two facts lending themselves to conflict over how to protect kids from people who want to prey on them. But I don't know why people act as though kids under 18 being interested in sexual stuff is abhorrent and dangerous, we all were kids under 18 and we all remember that our lives were deeply sexually charged then. One of my deepest failures as a human being is cutting myself completely off from my sister when, during a game we rented, she said how hot she thought the videogame babes were that you got as a reward for placing first. I had no idea about homosexuality at all because it was the mid 90s(also I was an early teen and she was a pre-teen), so I thought that I was influencing her and ruining her because she wasn't growing up normal. I thought the best thing for me to do was to cut her out of my hobbies and not play games together anymore, so she would grow up normally.

Of course, she took that as a deep rejection of who she was and it hurt her for decades. Things put into a genesis game to appeal to the audience of pimply teen boys they were trying to reach, something everyone understood was a thing that pimply teenage boys liked, caused a rift and injury between my sister and I because I didn't have any idea about gay people. I just... like, we've been making jokes about what it's like being 13 for as long as I've been alive, yet we've been also making it a scandal to try and explain anything about that poo poo to them as long as I've been alive, and predators have gleefully stepped in to fill that void in order to gain influence for as long as I've been alive. So while I get it, it also feels like we refuse to go anywhere with all the information we have and instead just keep fighting over the conflict of two truths.

This is a cringe story, but I was 9 and this slightly younger kid was kinda being... a pesky younger kid. I called him gay because he was being annoying (This was in 2002) and he ran off to tell some adults. I obviously got in trouble but I didn't know what gay meant other than it being a bad word and nobody taught us poo poo. I eventually learned what gay meant but that didn't stop the Internet and other media I consumed from using gay as another word for stupid. Kids (and adults too) learn more from media more than people think. No one is immune to propaganda even though I thought I was when I was a teen because :smug: I was Very Smart :smug:.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Puppy Time posted:

"likes a show where villains get reformed through the magic of friendship" means "is a fascist apologist."
They say that, but I think the actual reason they don't like it is because in their binary world, people who are problematic can never change, and thus should never be forgiven and always be reminded of what they may have done. which is why it's not enough for a queer person to legitmately heartfelt apologize if they aren't 100% perfect, because they're forever bad now, their dark and evil crime should be mentioned in every tweet they post, and they should not be allowed to have a career anymore, at least not without the constant reminders of their transgression

like lily orchard's massive writer tips tweet thread had a lot of double meanings. of course most tweets were meant to be shade at specific cartoons she didn't like, but it was also about behaviors that she didn't like in people either. she had a bit about how you should always be thankful at people who criticize you, and they're just yelling at you because they're passionate, and also they're probably yelling at you because they're right. like, it's never as straightforward as "Steven Universe is nazi apologia", it's, "if characters who are as bad as the diamonds in SU can be reformed, then that means people I know in real life who have done wrong can be reformed, and that obviously can't happen."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

But therein lies the problem: people who think 'cartoon villain gets reformed through the power of friendship = fascism apologia' or the like most likely do so because they see it as being the precursor or warning sign to worse behavior, so the belief is that you have to stamp it out before it takes root. As a result, you have people constantly policing fandoms and hobby spaces, and bringing the hammer down on individuals or groups who they deem to have crossed the line for what is acceptable.

But since that line isn't determined by some uniform standard, and instead by the individual(s) policing the community, the result is a lot of people who make or post otherwise benign things becoming the target of harassment, and being ostracized from the community, and potentially other places as well, depending on how far the controversy reaches.

What's worse is that in a lot of cases, the kind of people who pride or establish themselves as being those kind of guardians do so because they themselves are guilty of the behaviors they condemn, so they project it onto others.

There's argument about whether or not cancel culture is an actual thing or not, but I think periperhal to that is the idea of 'callout culture'. Some will say that you have a duty or obligation to call out bad behavior when you see it, but it leads to a lot of underlying problems. To me, creates this climate where I think people are sometimes hesitant or scared to voice opinions that go against the grain of what's popular or accepted, in fear that they'll get harangued from everyone across the globe for it. You can say, 'well, you need to call people out when they say stupid poo poo online', but when it's done publicly, it results in people getting dogpiled, which I think makes the problem worse. If someone PMs you, taking issue with something you said, I think that's manageable. When someone retweets something you said to their ten-thousand followers, and you get fifty-thousand tweets telling you different variations of 'u suck, kill urself my mane', that might screw with your brain a bit.

What I think of off the top of my head is what Lindsey Ellis went through, in two occasions. When she did her video on the alpha-omega Bane werewolf fanfiction author, one of the things she said was, 'please do not harass the author about all this'. That phrase is something that I hear a lot of content creator say when they discuss others online in a negative light, so as to dissuade people from harassing the individual (obviously), but also as a way to renounce anyone who might do so regardless. From what I remember, the author did get harassed after that video went out (it was brought up here in the thread). It occurred to me, though, that even if you're light with you criticism, and make a preface about not harassing the individual, it still ends up opening the door to that happening, because you have targeted the individual in some capacity.

The other occasion was her tweet about Raya, which from what I understand, was the catalyst for what caused her to call it quits. From what I recall, the issue was that Lindsey dunked on Raya for trying to imitate Avatar: The Last Airbender, and someone retorted by saying that Raya was done by a creator/team that was of Asian descent, unlike Avatar. On its own, the Raya tweet just seemed misinformed (again, it's been a while since that happened, and I don't remember what exactly was said), but it seemed like it snowballed into a much bigger issue than it was. I know there was a point where she told people off in a video (which I imagine was probably perceived as "doubling down"), but I kind of look at as her being fed with people making a mountain out of molehill with the tweet, because everyone who saw the reply chimed in on it. I lost track of what happened after that point, so maybe there's more I'm not aware of.

"Well, what's your solution, Max?" I don't have a solution. I just kind of bring this up because these are issues I've seen with internet discourse in the last few years. Some of this stuff I'm pointing out might be obvious, but I just wanted to talk about it.

This is a problem particular to the online space as well, as when people who know and understand one another call one another out, there’s context and mutual understanding that informs it—there’s a whole human relationship that determines meaning. I don’t mind friends or colleagues jumping on dumb things I say, because the event is bounded in certain ways by that relationship and we probably care about each other or at least have a mutual interest in a good outcome.

Critique online isn’t bounded in that way and often functions more like gossip does in interpersonal relationships, that it can be about shifting power relations and accumulating capital of some kind. Even if the criticism is totally fair, there is always the threat of other dynamics at work that cause harm or do something other than correcting an error. A lot of the people who have become targets online get a kind of reputation as deserving to be ruined where the specifics don’t matter, so criticism can’t be the goal for everyone involved. People were out to get Lindsay Ellis long before she posted that tweet, and she had written about hating having to be exposed to that kind of public attention years before it happened. It was only a matter of time given the nature of the online space.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A lot of these stories of people 'policing' the fandom just sounds like they are the exact same kind of people who would be doing the same but under any different context to punish anyone they perceive as their enemies or having wrong think.

They don't actually care about keeping abusers and predators out they care about control and influence.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Sydin posted:

I know it's nostalgia holding my brain hostage but the Gundam Wing dub slaps and you cannot change my mind.

I have to agree with this, based solely on any and all exchanges between these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD2346AopZA

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

The 7th Guest posted:

They say that, but I think the actual reason they don't like it is because in their binary world, people who are problematic can never change, and thus should never be forgiven and always be reminded of what they may have done. which is why it's not enough for a queer person to legitmately heartfelt apologize if they aren't 100% perfect, because they're forever bad now, their dark and evil crime should be mentioned in every tweet they post, and they should not be allowed to have a career anymore, at least not without the constant reminders of their transgression

like lily orchard's massive writer tips tweet thread had a lot of double meanings. of course most tweets were meant to be shade at specific cartoons she didn't like, but it was also about behaviors that she didn't like in people either. she had a bit about how you should always be thankful at people who criticize you, and they're just yelling at you because they're passionate, and also they're probably yelling at you because they're right. like, it's never as straightforward as "Steven Universe is nazi apologia", it's, "if characters who are as bad as the diamonds in SU can be reformed, then that means people I know in real life who have done wrong can be reformed, and that obviously can't happen."

I mean, that is very much a thing that happens, but I think part of it came from the very real situation in earlier fandoms in which some ppl latched on to "problematic" characters and would often justify every bad action the character did. Instead of going "I like this villain/rear end in a top hat, they add a lot to the story" they went "I like this villain/rear end in a top hat and I'm a good person, therefore they have never done anything wrong actually". One of the most famous was Snape back when HP was at the height of its popularity. Some Snape fans absolutely justify everything Snape did in the canon and warp it around so he never did a bad thing and any criticism would be taken as "oh but he was abused as a kid, so you are saying abuse is ok" or "well the marauders were bullies so everything snape does is good and you support bullying if you say otherwise". I think the current trend emerged in part as a response to this and it opened a whole new can of worms as a result.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The 7th Guest posted:

What actually happened is that Steven Universe, which uses space fascism as a metaphor for toxic and unaccepting parents not treating their queer kids with respect, got hit by the double-whammy of Trump getting elected and the gay wedding getting it cut short-ish. So people were not receptive to "your conservative parents might come around" and the show lost opportunities to explore the nuances of that theme.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it also was just a really weak ending, like, the story arc was just kinda lame and aside from a couple good songs was just 'do the thing' 'no' 'come on' 'no' 'please?' 'well okay'.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Siselmo posted:

I mean, that is very much a thing that happens, but I think part of it came from the very real situation in earlier fandoms in which some ppl latched on to "problematic" characters and would often justify every bad action the character did. Instead of going "I like this villain/rear end in a top hat, they add a lot to the story" they went "I like this villain/rear end in a top hat and I'm a good person, therefore they have never done anything wrong actually". One of the most famous was Snape back when HP was at the height of its popularity. Some Snape fans absolutely justify everything Snape did in the canon and warp it around so he never did a bad thing and any criticism would be taken as "oh but he was abused as a kid, so you are saying abuse is ok" or "well the marauders were bullies so everything snape does is good and you support bullying if you say otherwise". I think the current trend emerged in part as a response to this and it opened a whole new can of worms as a result.

This poo poo drives me nuts. It is entirely ok to say, "this character sucks and I love them," and not further justifying anything

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Happy Landfill posted:

This poo poo drives me nuts. It is entirely ok to say, "this character sucks and I love them," and not further justifying anything

Let me tell you about being the number 1 fan of a little character called Garrosh Hellscream :v:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DoctorWhat posted:

What actually happened is that Steven Universe, which uses space fascism as a metaphor for toxic and unaccepting parents not treating their queer kids with respect, got hit by the double-whammy of Trump getting elected and the gay wedding getting it cut short-ish. So people were not receptive to "your conservative parents might come around" and the show lost opportunities to explore the nuances of that theme.

Steven Universe also had a serious pacing problems ever since the end of the first season. The reason people didn't notice is because Cartoon Network dragged out the release of new episodes so long that it would be hard to notice. Most of the arcs didn't really have a pay-off and everything would mostly return to status quo by the end, and the silly stand-alone episodes become a lot rarer.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

pentyne posted:

A lot of these stories of people 'policing' the fandom just sounds like they are the exact same kind of people who would be doing the same but under any different context to punish anyone they perceive as their enemies or having wrong think.

They don't actually care about keeping abusers and predators out they care about control and influence.

I feel that this is framing those people as all bad actors who are twirling moustaches and cackling maniacally about the control they have over others (or I suppose painting their nails smugly for a more modern and feminine image), which is probably not the case for most of them.

The whole thing boils down to the fact that people who are afraid of bad things, and haven't learned appropriate coping strategies around those fears, can and will go absolutely apeshit in their efforts to avoid such bad things, because the human brain is optimized for survival first, rationality and nuance last, and it's extra hard to think clearly when you're already freaking out about things like "there are nazis taking over my country," or "the government is actively trying to make my existence illegal," or "the planet is burning and people in power don't give a poo poo," or "there is a deadly, highly communicable disease going on and people in power don't give a poo poo," or "there are multiple instances of people shooting a lot of children and people in power don't give a poo poo" or or or...

We're in a terrifying time, especially if you're some level of minority (as many fandom people are), so it's no surprise that people lose their poo poo.

And so you've got people who are on edge constantly over the myriad bad poo poo going on in the world, but they don't see a way to do anything about that bad poo poo, but over here someone just said something that sets off some kind of fear/threat reflex, and by drat, I can do something about that threat!

Under non-social-media circumstances, this would be a minor problem, where you run into an rear end in a top hat that lost their poo poo, whatever, it's scary but it's over now. Even in the times of forum invasions, it'd just be at worst maybe three digits of people for a few days and then they find something else to do.

In social media, things are set up so that something that generates "engagement" gets shown to more and more and more people, so there's a snowball effect when people get mad, so more people see what got them mad, then those people get mad, and more people see that and get mad, and then you have a sustained, weeks long assault where hundreds of individuals, not related to one another or working together at all, descend en masse to attack a perceived threat, each one acting when they see it, which could be the minute it was made, or even years later if they happen to fall victim to an actual bad actor trying to drum up an army.

And then, because twitter is the worst, the all-seeing algorithm goes, "Holy poo poo, you interacted a lot with that one thing! You must want a steady stream of it!"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

As a palate cleanser, here is an absolutely massive guinea pig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tYkzOOa00k

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Steven Universe owns and the finale to the original series was very good, actually.

Here's a cool video analyzing the climax of the finale and everything leading up to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLLABUPdPug

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

holy poo poo that truly is an enormous guinea pig. thank you.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Puppy Time posted:

Guinea big.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Macaluso posted:

Let me tell you about being the number 1 fan of a little character called Garrosh Hellscream :v:

I relayed this to my roommate who is pretty deep in to WoW lore and he just made this face :catstare:

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't played WoW in like three years but in the latest expansion didn't Garrosh show up in one cutscene only to get permanently erased from existence?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Puppy Time posted:

Holy poo poo

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I think the big take-away people should take to heart is that when an adult hangs around kids a lot in their free time and is overly pre-occupied with "protecting" said kids, that's a red flag! I've talked before about my experience in the NSFW art community, but a pretty big thing with my contemporaries is making sure to do our best to keep minors out of our spaces and subscriber lists, and we do this not so much because of an inherent belief that porn is damaging to minors, but because the kind of person who would give porn to minors definitely is.

More like Guinea HOG, am I right?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Genthil posted:

I haven't played WoW in like three years but in the latest expansion didn't Garrosh show up in one cutscene only to get permanently erased from existence?
Yeah, Shadowlands was…special.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sydin posted:

I know it's nostalgia holding my brain hostage but the Gundam Wing dub slaps and you cannot change my mind. Yeah it's like the quintessential bad 90's dub but the actors are at least trying, and Drummond unironically owns Zechs despite having some pretty big shoes to fill in replacing Takehito Koyasu.

Special shout out to Sally and Noin who - every time they're in a scene together - just do nothing but wax philosophical bullshit to one another in a manner that even their VA's clearly thing is beyond pretentious.

Like for real maybe it's just where my standards are but I wouldn't even rate GW as all that bad of a dub. There's a few silly voices, and the actors are saddled with what is ultimately a pretty goofy melodrama, but it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the truly cheap and dire OVA schlock that was pumped out around the same time.

It's certainly a bit rough around the edges because it was one of the earliest mainstream dubs, but just within the Gundam franchise you can compare it to the awkward original Gundam movies dub where they hadn't even figured out how to pronounce "Gundam" yet. :allears: And then of course if you flash forward a bit you have the peak of dubbing excellence, G Gundam.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 6, 2022

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

KingKalamari posted:

I think the big take-away people should take to heart is that when an adult hangs around kids a lot in their free time and is overly pre-occupied with "protecting" said kids, that's a red flag! I've talked before about my experience in the NSFW art community, but a pretty big thing with my contemporaries is making sure to do our best to keep minors out of our spaces and subscriber lists, and we do this not so much because of an inherent belief that porn is damaging to minors, but because the kind of person who would give porn to minors definitely is.

Yeah, like, kids being exposed briefly to sex junk is whatever.

Kids having access to adult-oriented communities is a problem not because of the subject matter- most kids will not go crack ping because they see weird sex stuff- but because adults who are comfortable with having kids around for that stuff are at best irresponsible and at worst predatory.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

The big one they use is Steven Universe and I have to somewhat agree with the critics. It's not that the redemption happened but the show kinda rushed it and it took until the post timeskip episodes to show they earned that redemption at all.

It was just a bit sloppily handled compared to a lot of the show's themes. The show isn't fascist apologia or anything ridiculous like that, it just suffered from some rushed storytelling near the end (possibly due to CN giving them a hard episode count to wrap it up.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Framboise posted:

Re: Dubs:

That said, my girlfriend and I are watching through the Kaguya-sama: Love is War dub before watching the third season because it's just that loving good. The dub takes the wit and sarcasm of the sub and adds that over the top enthusiasm and punched up dialogue in a way that loving *works* and you can tell the actors probably had a blast doing it. It's got a lot of its own special brand of charm to it that most dubs don't have, without it changing the entire feel of the show or making it annoying.

Changing the style of narration to "seedy love-guru loser" works SO drat well to add to just how bad at romance everyone is. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Kaguya dub turns the narrator from a 100% genuine hypeman for what's going on into just some lame dude doing snarky quips. It's really bad.