Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hihohe posted:

Im pretty sure there were a couple of really TERF rear end south park episodes recently so i dont care how "left" they are now they can suck a dick.

That was what passed for comedy in the early 00s. I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
God love them, but the latter-day saints seem to go out of their way to make themselves a huge target for clowning on.

At the same time owning huge amounts of land and increasing their holdings.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don’t consider them saints at all frankly

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

gleebster posted:

God love them, but the latter-day saints seem to go out of their way to make themselves a huge target for clowning on.

At the same time owning huge amounts of land and increasing their holdings.

Did you know they actually put ads in the program for the musical that was making fun of them? I guess they figured "publicity is publicity"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Did you know they actually put ads in the program for the musical that was making fun of them? I guess they figured "publicity is publicity"

I did not know that, having not seen the play, but it figures.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ya know, I gotta say one thing for the mormons. I was born in far west Texas at the NM border. White people except for the handful of us jews were either evangelicals or mormons. They both loved mission trips.

Mormon kids always did mission trips to other countries and came back fluent in the language and with friends from those countries.

Evangelical kids came back with pictures of them putting up poo poo tier shacks and the money could've been better spent paying local builders and putting the rest into the running of the school instead of sending useless american teens overseas and loading them down with bibles instead of useful things like food or vaccines.

In conclusion, mormons are my favourite kind of wasp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't forget that the "All About Mormons" episode's moral was that the Mormon kid was actually the good guy and the regular cast couldn't get past their prejudices and had a lot of growing up to do, "drat, that kid is coool"

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jun 5, 2022

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The last South Park episode I watched was about a character learning that she shouldn't see herself as a victim because it made her a joyless whiner instead of someone who could take charge of her own life.

The episode IMMEDIATELY PRIOR was about how getting a crude TV show cancelled is the moral equivalent of nuking a major city. If there was even a trace of irony or self-reflection in those episodes, I couldn't detect it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Even as a kid, the idea of mission trip seems weird. The church would tell stories of kids going to Africa and saving a village by digging an irrigation ditch. Like, why did white hands have to do it? Did africans not know about ditch digging? Why couldn't you have just hired someone local to dig the ditch rather than spending thousands on plane tickets?

Like, just the juxtaposition of using these big modern airplanes so you can go somewhere and build something out of scraps with no experience. It just seemed so wasteful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also remember Orgazmo was super Mormon-centric

Trey and Matt and their Mormon fixation is actually kind of weird

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I remember at my first job, at an Arby's 22 years ago, seeing a mom lecture her kid for attempting to dump his own tray of fast food wrappers in the garbage, and yelled at him to leave it on the table. People sincerely believe that not leaving a mess is morally wrong, because cleaning up after yourself will make workers lazy and entitled, and is therefore going to destroy society.
I've read basically this anecdote word for word several times, it's hosed up

But, re: shopping carts, I've seen a few anecdotes from people tasked with rounding up all of the shopping carts that loved it because that was time on the clock that they didn't have to spend dealing with customers

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FFT posted:

But, re: shopping carts, I've seen a few anecdotes from people tasked with rounding up all of the shopping carts that loved it because that was time on the clock that they didn't have to spend dealing with customers

Please ask them what I do when the guy is rounding up the carts as I go to put mine in the corral. Do I just leave it there outside the corral for him, or do I put it on the cart train he's building or do I wait for him to leave and then put it in the corral.

This is a very stressful situation and I need to know. Please don't tell me it involves asking him because then I really will hide it in a ditch to avoid the interaction.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

KennyMan666 posted:

Based on... what, exactly?

I'm honestly curious because they're extremely not fans of Trump, are pro-vaccines, did a two-parter episode entirely to say "we were so wrong about climate change, it's extremely real and will kill us all", and are pro-LGBT.

Trey and Matt considered themselves libertarians and "middle ground" guys in the early/mid-2000s, and at the very worst that's where they've remained, where the middle was in the Clinton and Bush eras.

do you just not know what the T in LBGT stands for or what

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Trump?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

Tomato.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

Trey and Matt considered themselves libertarians and "middle ground" guys in the early/mid-2000s, and at the very worst that's where they've remained, where the middle was in the Clinton and Bush eras.

So, Republicans.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FFT posted:

Again restaurant not retail opinion haver here, but yes, almost anything that lets you not be around customers is a happy time.

I got a second job at a Chipotle cuz my wife is pregnant and I just show up early morning, do prep, and clock out with my free employee meal just as the store opens for lunch. It's incredibly liberating. All the fun, none of the customers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dr. Stab posted:

Please ask them what I do when the guy is rounding up the carts as I go to put mine in the corral. Do I just leave it there outside the corral for him, or do I put it on the cart train he's building or do I wait for him to leave and then put it in the corral.

This is a very stressful situation and I need to know. Please don't tell me it involves asking him because then I really will hide it in a ditch to avoid the interaction.
If it looks like you'll be inconvenient? Just put it in a different corral. Or shout "hey, got one for you!" as you shove it at top speed at them, I dunno.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr. Stab posted:

Start your own train, see who wins.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much everything tracks for Matt and Trey being #NeverTrump Republicans, which has to be the funniest thing they've done in years.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I liked doing carts but it's also physically very demanding.

Don't add to their cart train because there is, actually, a limit to how many carts you can push without hurting yourself. Yeah, they're on wheels, but they're heavy, and a long train of them can be very hard to steer. If conditions are bad, they might not be able to do more than five at a time.

I know you don't want to ask them "Where do want this?" but that is the right answer. Next best case is to leave it nearby, just at the entrance of the corral, so that they may either take it or leave it, as they judge appropriate.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brawnfire posted:

Cafe settings are the weirdest for this, because some people will bus their tables entirely themselves for the next person to avail themselves of the table. Others will leave everything for the staff to come out from behind the counter and put it in the bin.

Both are "acceptable" but one seems kind of obviously right to me, personally.

What is the actual custom here? If everything you've used is disposable, or if there's a tray holder or return table for dirty dishes, obviously you can bus it yourself, but that's not universal. If I've just had a drink, I'll sometimes leave my cup or glass on the counter, and the barista will politely thank me if they're manning it, but I have no idea if this is correct.

E: All shopping carts here come with a little lock that you need the coin equivalent of two dollars or a token to unlock, which is released when you return the cart to the corral, so at least I've never had to worry about figuring those out.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Jun 5, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The cup is included in the cost of the beverage, just take it home, if you return it you actually get the staff into trouble because of inventory mismatch.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What is the actual custom here? If everything you've used is disposable, or if there's a tray holder or return table for dirty dishes, obviously you can bus it yourself, but that's not universal. If I've just had a drink, I'll sometimes leave my cup or glass on the counter, and the barista will politely thank me if they're manning it, but I have no idea if this is correct.

That's usually how I got about it, yeah, a cafe will sometimes even have a spot right at the end of the counter for you to drop off empty cups separate of the main trash/bussing tray area. I figure it's whatever saves the baristas from having to physically exit the counter and bring things back to the counter, so all they have to do is a quick spritz 'n' wipe between customers. But again, I'm also dented into this shape by working at those places and quietly seething, so maybe I actually am just doing their job for them, idk.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I will make absolutely no excuses for that 2005 South Park episode about transgenderism, it was unquestionably uncomfortably transphobic. The season 23 episode with a guy pretending to be transgender to enter a women's sporting competition was definitely poorly conceived and got some well deserved backlash, even if the argument it was making wasn't that trans athletes shouldn't be allowed to compete. Season 18 had an episode that was in favour of accepting trans identities. Caitlyn Jenner was portrayed extremely unattractively, but she was dragged for being a lovely person, not for being trans.

Yeah, I'm not going to pretend it's not been treading a very volatile line on the subject, and they've absolutely given transphobes fodder, even if not intentional. So I will agree with the criticism, even if I really don't think M&T are transphobes.

They did come out strongly in favour of gay rights extremely early with the literal fourth episode of the show in 1997 having the message "there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay and it's wrong to ostracize people for being gay", a later episode was fully in favour of gay marriage, and the consistently most sensible adult characters are a happily married gay couple.

Their opinions just absolutely don't align with what the GOP are all about these days, and they've definitely never been conservatives. Or liberals, just to cover that.

But the more I type I'm realizing I'm becoming the idiot on social media for keeping this up, but there were some things I wanted to respond to. And the username I've had for over 20 years has its origin in a South Park character so I'll admit to being slightly biased.

At least I return my shopping carts and take care of my fast food trays because I'm not an inconsiderate butt

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Obviously we need an edgy both-sides episode of South Park to resolve the issue of shopping carts and bussing your own table at Fuddrucker's.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

steinrokkan posted:

The cup is included in the cost of the beverage, just take it home, if you return it you actually get the staff into trouble because of inventory mismatch.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

KennyMan666 posted:

But the more I type I'm realizing I'm becoming the idiot on social media for keeping this up, but there were some things I wanted to respond to. And the username I've had for over 20 years has its origin in a South Park character so I'll admit to being slightly biased.

At least I return my shopping carts and take care of my fast food trays because I'm not an inconsiderate butt

You do not need to go online to defend the extremely wealthy rightwing libertarians

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ya know, I gotta say one thing for the mormons. I was born in far west Texas at the NM border. White people except for the handful of us jews were either evangelicals or mormons. They both loved mission trips.

Mormon kids always did mission trips to other countries and came back fluent in the language and with friends from those countries.

Evangelical kids came back with pictures of them putting up poo poo tier shacks and the money could've been better spent paying local builders and putting the rest into the running of the school instead of sending useless american teens overseas and loading them down with bibles instead of useful things like food or vaccines.

In conclusion, mormons are my favourite kind of wasp.

Mormon missions basically exist to try to trick foreign women to come to America to shore up their numbers. The charity work is only there to make it less obviously a trafficking operation. They barely even try to justify it if you watch a show like 90 Day Fiance. The first season involves a Mormon marrying a teenager he met when she was 12.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

KennyMan666 posted:

I will make absolutely no excuses for that 2005 South Park episode about transgenderism, it was unquestionably uncomfortably transphobic. The season 23 episode with a guy pretending to be transgender to enter a women's sporting competition was definitely poorly conceived and got some well deserved backlash, even if the argument it was making wasn't that trans athletes shouldn't be allowed to compete. Season 18 had an episode that was in favour of accepting trans identities. Caitlyn Jenner was portrayed extremely unattractively, but she was dragged for being a lovely person, not for being trans.

Yeah, I'm not going to pretend it's not been treading a very volatile line on the subject, and they've absolutely given transphobes fodder, even if not intentional. So I will agree with the criticism, even if I really don't think M&T are transphobes.

They did come out strongly in favour of gay rights extremely early with the literal fourth episode of the show in 1997 having the message "there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay and it's wrong to ostracize people for being gay", a later episode was fully in favour of gay marriage, and the consistently most sensible adult characters are a happily married gay couple.

Their opinions just absolutely don't align with what the GOP are all about these days, and they've definitely never been conservatives. Or liberals, just to cover that.

I can't look in their heart, but I can look at their actions. If someone keeps saying transphobic things, I don't really need to know whether they are genuinely hateful, they're still doing damage.

I don't really put a lot of weight on nominal support. Lots of people "support trans people" but then draw the line at "gender ideology," which generally means literally any way a trans person can be allowed to exist comfortably in society. Very very few people actually think "I am a bigot and proud." They just have bigoted notions of what counts as reasonable. That's kinda the trick of centrism. They decide on the framing, so they can have any opinion on an issue and it can be equidistant between the two sides.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The South Park episode about George Zimmerman is great, at the end he shoots a white kid and as soon as the cops see he's white it smash cuts to Zimmerman getting killed in the electric chair.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

I liked doing carts but it's also physically very demanding.

Don't add to their cart train because there is, actually, a limit to how many carts you can push without hurting yourself. Yeah, they're on wheels, but they're heavy, and a long train of them can be very hard to steer. If conditions are bad, they might not be able to do more than five at a time.

I know you don't want to ask them "Where do want this?" but that is the right answer. Next best case is to leave it nearby, just at the entrance of the corral, so that they may either take it or leave it, as they judge appropriate.

Target has these little assistance devices that allow you to push mega long lings of carts. It looks neat!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lol the basket nestled in there

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Dr. Stab posted:

If someone keeps saying transphobic things, I don't really need to know whether they are genuinely hateful, they're still doing damage.
This I agree with—doing X ironically is still doing X, and all that.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Perhaps, but Republicans will lower their taxes and that is more pressing than everything else combined

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They're literally Republicans.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5557163/South-Park-creators-reveal-REPUBLICANS.html

Larry Elder posted:

'Trey Parker & Matt Stone of @SouthPark asked me to introduce them when they received a "freedom" award from Norman Lear's organization.

'After they graciously accepted, they said, "We're republicans." Nervous laughter. They repeated, "No, seriously, we're republicans."#Priceless.'
This was in 2018. They're just never Trumpers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Beartaco posted:

The last South Park episode I watched was about what a ridiculous waste of resources it is to keep the elderly alive and protect them from covid, and that it's good for society that they die. It's okay though because they also called anti-vaxxers "shellfish", a play on "selfish".

They go after everyone equally, you see.

Cool, cool, cool

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/ManMilk2/status/1533166641982451718

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Jun 5, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

KennyMan666 posted:

They decided to self identify as republicans and you need to respect their choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

rodbeard posted:

Mormon missions basically exist to try to trick foreign women to come to America to shore up their numbers. The charity work is only there to make it less obviously a trafficking operation. They barely even try to justify it if you watch a show like 90 Day Fiance. The first season involves a Mormon marrying a teenager he met when she was 12.

Missionaries are some of the worst people on earth regardless of what faith they're shilling