Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

ambient/weird/experimental

Just finished this one today:
https://soundcloud.com/ctenophore/remembering-is-all-thats-left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Good Sphere posted:

ambient/weird/experimental

Just finished this one today:
https://soundcloud.com/ctenophore/remembering-is-all-thats-left

I dig it, the best music always sounds like its barely contained and is about to devolve into pure chaos at any moment.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

DreadUnknown posted:

I dig it, the best music always sounds like its barely contained and is about to devolve into pure chaos at any moment.

Thanks! I like to work with chance experimenting with mutating things, so things often get chaotic.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Just uploaded a new one - "Up for Air"

https://soundcloud.com/ctenophore/up-for-air

It's about welcoming back the surroundings I've grown all too familiar with, but then remembering the sparkling rocks I see under water - which is like recalling forgotten treasures that I forget about, as rare as they seem to come around.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just got Soundcloud Pro when it went on sale. I can upload again!!!

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/too-high-for-this-trip-to-the-hobby-shop

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/synth-jam-with-birds

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I've been in the process of moving and it sucks and all that, but I at least got my comp which means I can do some music stuff again.

I've been working on this on and off (mostly off thanks to moving) for the last month or so.

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/another-thing-7-wip

More balancing to do and it needs an ending, but it's getting much closer now. The piano part a bit after 3 min is a lot of fun to play as well.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Did an 'enhanced' version of one of my chill favs from Chrono Trigger that you maybe hear for a few seconds in the game since you're probably rushing through quickly.

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/secret-of-the-forest-enhanced

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
My artist name is The Dutty Professor. SoundCloud is https://soundcloud.com/oh_god_the_bees and I make experimental music of an electronic nature. Maybe you'll like.

(I also have a BandCamp if that's permittable? https://theduttyprofessor.bandcamp.com/ )

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've been mucking around lately just getting high and jamming classical impros with Pianoteq with a microkey 61 on my lap. I had the intention of recording stuff, but every time I tried to record, it just didn't work out - the magic stopped. So I was amazed to discover the other day that Pianoteq has automatically recorded every loving note I've ever played on it since I installed it on this machine.

I'm slowly going through the impros, but a few of them have some interesting ideas in them, i.e. this one I found tonight

I'll slowly upload more as I find them to https://soundcloud.com/stuwyatt

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 25, 2022

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Hello there.

I have added some more covers to my soundcloud...my original songs/album are not yet in a releasable state. I do a cover song when I get "stuck" on originals. I take classic rock songs and re-do them with all synths. I just like to have something that gets finished.

Anyways, please take a listen. Or don't.

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-leonard-415307577

Speaking of getting stuck on originals, is there any interest in a thread on detailing creative process/workflow? I'm always interested in how others approach songwriting & production.

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 24, 2022

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

https://soundcloud.com/eddastrange/no-surprises-radiohead-cover

Hi, I have ruined yet another one of your favourite Radiohead songs. (No Surprises)

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
Did two tracks (name your price) for Bandcamp friday. Thought the rivers of blood katana had a hilariously metal name so I took that and ran with it.

https://neonshudder.bandcamp.com/album/rivers-of-blood-x-corpse-piler

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
dropped a album like two weeks ago

https://soundcloud.com/thndrthf

e: its like rap kind of

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Been messing around with production for about a year, finally got together with some friends to release two original rock tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/jamt_band

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

THNDRTHF posted:

dropped a album like two weeks ago

https://soundcloud.com/thndrthf

e: its like rap kind of

Absolutely excellent, as usual.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Finally finished this one, which I've been working at off and on for months now. It's my take on an epic boss battle or something like that. Has several different segments with some different styles in it. At nearly 9 minutes it's definitely the longest thing I've made.

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/epic-boss-fight-theme

Now to get back to another that I've been working on for some time that's nearly done!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Finally finished this one, which I've been working at off and on for months now. It's my take on an epic boss battle or something like that. Has several different segments with some different styles in it. At nearly 9 minutes it's definitely the longest thing I've made.

Now to get back to another that I've been working on for some time that's nearly done!

You do mine if I do yours? Despite me being intimidated. Keep in mind that this is going to be entirely subjective because I have zero objective experience and authority when it comes to arrangement, composition, and instrumentation. Also I have no mixing or mastering advice because I’m a deep loving moron when it comes to that. :(

Spoilered so as not to color other people’s expectations.

I like this a lot! As an avid fan of Koshiro and Uematsu, I love me some orchestral work and symphonic rock. And I’m impressed you managed to get almost 9 minutes of music down, I struggle to get 2.

Interesting to hear that it took several months to get down. My track I put together over the course of a long weekend, and I most certainly did not expand it nearly as far as this or pick over it as meticulously. Making music takes a surprisingly long time :(

What was most of your time spent on, regardless of it being off-and-on? Coming up with progressions and musical ideas (composition), putting the progressions and musical ideas together in an interesting and appealing fashion (arrangement), choosing the right instruments and harmonic content for each progression and musical idea (instrumentation), or making sure the harmonic and percussive content of each section plays well with and doesn’t overpower the others (mixing and mastering)?

0:00 - This is rich coming from someone who’s infatuated with The End of Raging Waves, but I’m not sure how I feel about going full blare right out the gate. If I was fighting a boss and this is how the first 25 seconds go, I’d be like “oh drat we’re doing this now?”. I personally would start off with the lower strings, and then ramp up to the high strings and the vocals - maybe first go into the section at around 0:44 and delay the ramp into the high strings and vocals for a reprise a little later on as a bridge to 1:31’s section. It’d help add some dynamics to the track by giving it a gradual buildup of energy. But that’s just me, honestly.

1:15ish - Minor thing. One piece of advice I’ve heard from lesser known composers is to even out the workload across all the sections of your arrangement. In general, the track does this decently well, though I’m not an expert at vetting it. Still, I think it could be valuable to work in a little later on (we’ll get to that). Try to give each section, if not necessarily each instrument, something to do across the entire work, even if it’s a small part. You’ve got a whole orchestra plus a rock band, put them to work!

However, you also don’t want every section’s contribution percentage to be totally flat across the whole song. Imagine if this were a real orchestra, and the string section loses its poo poo for a solid 30 seconds then puts their bows down until like a minute and a half later. Or if the string section spent 5+ minutes doing a simple pad or stab pattern over and over with no chance to really break down or take a break. Both would be pretty boring for the players. An ebb and flow is actually rather desirable - and that’s where this whole thing becomes a creative pursuit instead of just “do this do that to be right”.

This is something both I and composers like Koshiro and Uematsu sometimes have trouble with (okay well usually in my case), and it’s a good piece of advice IMO. That said, this ain’t gospel, and I’m a moron, so don’t feel like you need to do this. It’s great as-is, too.

3:39, and again at like 3:45 or so - I would emphasize either the onbeat or offbeat of the falling/rising guitar with some sort of percussion. IMO it will have much more impact that way, if your intention is to draw attention to that. It’s a little hard for me to back this critique up, because I can’t justify it any better than “I sort of expected that to happen and I think it’d sound dope”, so consider it my own personal preference. Maybe do something fancy like punctuating it with stabs from the string section instead of with a snare drum?

4:01 - This is beginning to feel a bit more like a medley of themes and motifs than what represents a singular boss. Which is perfectly fine if that’s what you’re going for - the whole Dancing Mad suite, for example, is segmented as such because the final boss is multiphase. It works if the big epic final boss theme also incorporates the main battle theme, the protagonist or love interest’s theme, and the theme of the requisite ancient lost civilization if we’re going full RPG. But if it’s meant to be a singular thing, my answer to “how does the theme of Final Boss go?” would be “uhhhh I’m not sure”. So I assume it’s the theme of Big Epic Final Boss Fight, not the theme of Final Boss.

7:11 - Pursuant to the above, to me this track is a sequence of independent musical ideas with not a whole lot of interplay and bleedthrough. A stylistic choice of course, but with all the disparate styles and motifs in the song I can’t help but expect some exploration and crossbreeding of these motifs and progressions. I think the best example of this is 2:46~3:53, where you really get some symphonic rock going. That feels like a natural evolution and extension of what’s come before. Everything from then on feels very self-contained and almost forgets about what came before, which I’m very much not used to.

Post-listen - I would love to hear more about how you produced this, since I’ve always wanted to make some more orchestral works but I’ve only gotten as far as writing short string sections with some lovely orchestra VSTs. The quality of the instruments could definitely punch at the weight of bigger name video game soundtracks out there. I’m impressed (and a little overwhelmed) that a single person can do this now!

—-

I made this track over the long weekend (I took Friday off :ssh:).

Please rip it apart. I’m still very new and there’s so much I’m not thinking of or realize that I should/need to do. There’s a lot I could talk about not doing or that needs a lot of help, but I’ll save that for further discussion.

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/chugga

Spoilered so as not to influence the initial listen:

Made almost entirely in Vital, except for the percussion (samples from the YM2608). I started off by writing a bassline, chuggy riff, additional punchy taps, lead melody, and backup/complementary melody as a four-track composition.

Everything was one sine wave oscillator to begin with, until I had roughly the first half or so of the track written and the musical ideas were worth voicing further. Only then did I started designing the sound for each part. I don’t really know what rules I followed for what each voice would/should sound like. Making patches was by far the most fun part.

Percussion was actually almost the last thing to be added; the bassline originally kept the time and cadence.

I tried not to use too many voices as once. I think there’s only a maximum of four out of the five or so tracks used at any point in time minus the drum track, and often it was 3 or less.

I use Renoise, so a lot of the musical ideas, motifs, and progressions were programmed as independent phrases for each voice, or “instrument”. Each phrase could then be easily transposed, repeated sample-style (though sadly not chopped up), and copied by other voices. This was fun and revealed a lot of interesting progressions and variations on musical ideas.

I can talk more about it later but I gotta focus on work right now.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Sorry for the very stupid question (I'm just a guitarist) but this is amazing and I am wondering about the instrumentation. Would you share how you recorded all these strings and choral parts? Have virtual instruments come so far you can do this at home with sound libraries?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Replied to your comments in bold, and never feel bad about commenting, I like it!

Pollyanna posted:

You do mine if I do yours? Despite me being intimidated. Keep in mind that this is going to be entirely subjective because I have zero objective experience and authority when it comes to arrangement, composition, and instrumentation. Also I have no mixing or mastering advice because I’m a deep loving moron when it comes to that. :(

Spoilered so as not to color other people’s expectations.

I like this a lot! As an avid fan of Koshiro and Uematsu, I love me some orchestral work and symphonic rock. And I’m impressed you managed to get almost 9 minutes of music down, I struggle to get 2.

Interesting to hear that it took several months to get down. My track I put together over the course of a long weekend, and I most certainly did not expand it nearly as far as this or pick over it as meticulously. Making music takes a surprisingly long time :(

What was most of your time spent on, regardless of it being off-and-on? Coming up with progressions and musical ideas (composition), putting the progressions and musical ideas together in an interesting and appealing fashion (arrangement), choosing the right instruments and harmonic content for each progression and musical idea (instrumentation), or making sure the harmonic and percussive content of each section plays well with and doesn’t overpower the others (mixing and mastering)? Almost all of the time was spent working on the last 2-3 minutes of it, and the transition from the part at 6:33 to 6:55. Originally that section was around 3x as long before getting to the final section. And the sounds for the bass/guitars. The rest of it was put together over the course of a week or so.

0:00 - This is rich coming from someone who’s infatuated with The End of Raging Waves, but I’m not sure how I feel about going full blare right out the gate. If I was fighting a boss and this is how the first 25 seconds go, I’d be like “oh drat we’re doing this now?”. I personally would start off with the lower strings, and then ramp up to the high strings and the vocals - maybe first go into the section at around 0:44 and delay the ramp into the high strings and vocals for a reprise a little later on as a bridge to 1:31’s section. It’d help add some dynamics to the track by giving it a gradual buildup of energy. But that’s just me, honestly. I usually start with a slow build but wanted to do something different this time

1:15ish - Minor thing. One piece of advice I’ve heard from lesser known composers is to even out the workload across all the sections of your arrangement. In general, the track does this decently well, though I’m not an expert at vetting it. Still, I think it could be valuable to work in a little later on (we’ll get to that). Try to give each section, if not necessarily each instrument, something to do across the entire work, even if it’s a small part. You’ve got a whole orchestra plus a rock band, put them to work!

However, you also don’t want every section’s contribution percentage to be totally flat across the whole song. Imagine if this were a real orchestra, and the string section loses its poo poo for a solid 30 seconds then puts their bows down until like a minute and a half later. Or if the string section spent 5+ minutes doing a simple pad or stab pattern over and over with no chance to really break down or take a break. Both would be pretty boring for the players. An ebb and flow is actually rather desirable - and that’s where this whole thing becomes a creative pursuit instead of just “do this do that to be right”.

This is something both I and composers like Koshiro and Uematsu sometimes have trouble with (okay well usually in my case), and it’s a good piece of advice IMO. That said, this ain’t gospel, and I’m a moron, so don’t feel like you need to do this. It’s great as-is, too. Yeah I never expect this to be actually played by people or I'd definitely be more mindful of that, and for smaller pieces I tend to rotate melodies between instruments. There's definitely some places I could have used more variety though!

3:39, and again at like 3:45 or so - I would emphasize either the onbeat or offbeat of the falling/rising guitar with some sort of percussion. IMO it will have much more impact that way, if your intention is to draw attention to that. It’s a little hard for me to back this critique up, because I can’t justify it any better than “I sort of expected that to happen and I think it’d sound dope”, so consider it my own personal preference. Maybe do something fancy like punctuating it with stabs from the string section instead of with a snare drum? Yeah I can totally see what you mean, and it would be fun to revisit it some day and make changes like that for fun

4:01 - This is beginning to feel a bit more like a medley of themes and motifs than what represents a singular boss. Which is perfectly fine if that’s what you’re going for - the whole Dancing Mad suite, for example, is segmented as such because the final boss is multiphase. It works if the big epic final boss theme also incorporates the main battle theme, the protagonist or love interest’s theme, and the theme of the requisite ancient lost civilization if we’re going full RPG. But if it’s meant to be a singular thing, my answer to “how does the theme of Final Boss go?” would be “uhhhh I’m not sure”. So I assume it’s the theme of Big Epic Final Boss Fight, not the theme of Final Boss. Yeah the Dancing Mad suite thing is what I was going for, more segmented/phase type thing. I definitely could echo previous sections more throughout

7:11 - Pursuant to the above, to me this track is a sequence of independent musical ideas with not a whole lot of interplay and bleedthrough. A stylistic choice of course, but with all the disparate styles and motifs in the song I can’t help but expect some exploration and crossbreeding of these motifs and progressions. I think the best example of this is 2:46~3:53, where you really get some symphonic rock going. That feels like a natural evolution and extension of what’s come before. Everything from then on feels very self-contained and almost forgets about what came before, which I’m very much not used to. Yeah, it really was me just putting down some different ideas and tying them together in different ways. The ending I completely rewrote probably 5+ times.

—-

I made this track over the long weekend (I took Friday off :ssh:).

Please rip it apart. I’m still very new and there’s so much I’m not thinking of or realize that I should/need to do. There’s a lot I could talk about not doing or that needs a lot of help, but I’ll save that for further discussion.

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/chugga

I'm super bad at critiquing and always have been so I probably won't be a ton of help, but it sounds like an old school side-scroller level song and I like that. I like the consistent bass line through it and the changing melody that doesn't get stale. Just keep messing around with stuff, that's all you really can do, but like I said, it sounds good to me!

Pollyanna posted:

Post-listen - I would love to hear more about how you produced this, since I’ve always wanted to make some more orchestral works but I’ve only gotten as far as writing short string sections with some lovely orchestra VSTs. The quality of the instruments could definitely punch at the weight of bigger name video game soundtracks out there. I’m impressed (and a little overwhelmed) that a single person can do this now!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry for the very stupid question (I'm just a guitarist) but this is amazing and I am wondering about the instrumentation. Would you share how you recorded all these strings and choral parts? Have virtual instruments come so far you can do this at home with sound libraries?

To kind of answer both of these at once, yeah these are all virtual instruments. All of this was done on my home computer, although it has a ton of ram for doing it. The song that I posted used around 60-70 gb or ram to have all the instruments loaded, and that was after cutting down most of the to one or two articulations as needed.

My go-tos for orchestra instruments is usually Spitfire Studio Orchestra Professional (https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-studio-orchestra-professional/) or Eastwest's Hollywood Orchestra (https://www.soundsonline.com/hollywood-orchestra-opus-edition), which you can get with all their other stuff with a sub to composer cloud which to me is a great deal as they have a ton of stuff. The Choir is also from Eastwest (guitars too!). They can take some practice to get good sounds out of as they have a LOT of options and configurations. For instance, for Violin 1 in Spitfire's, these are the available articulations:

And Eastwest's:

I use Reaper a lot now to make music, and that song looked like this in it:

All of it put in as midi notes using a mouse, so no keyboard playing.

This post is already pretty long so I'll leave it here for now but I'm happy to answer any other questions that I can.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
well gently caress me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yup. Here’s some more examples of virtual orchestration (minus some flute and choir).

https://youtu.be/n9RLgRCGhhQ

vvv Yuzo Koshiro is the absolute loving bomb and he needs to get more attention, so you are very welcome!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 2, 2022

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Yup. Here’s some more examples of virtual orchestration (minus some flute and choir).

https://youtu.be/n9RLgRCGhhQ

Wow that's great, thanks for sharing!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

well gently caress me

Yeah the good ones are seriously amazing these days. I remember the first time I heard Embertone's Blakus Cello library, it just blew my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClNjn0eHHc

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Now all someone needs is to actually know how to compose for it - i.e. the hard part. :v:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah the good ones are seriously amazing these days. I remember the first time I heard Embertone's Blakus Cello library, it just blew my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClNjn0eHHc

Helloooooo impulse purchase on the spot. I'm in love with this.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Helloooooo impulse purchase on the spot. I'm in love with this.

I expect you'll be very happy with it. There are a few small sampling shops where I buy almost everything they release, and Embertone is one of them. Realitone and Sound Dust are the other two that spring immediately to mind.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

My absolute favorite solo violin/cello are from https://www.virharmonic.com/home. They sound great even before you delve in to all the options for control that are provided, and for a lot of things you can just choose the play style that fits whatever you're working on.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
someone help me describe this song, it's definitely one of my favorite things I've ever made but I have absolutely no idea how to classify it. I feel like it belongs in like a racing video game or something?? Maybe kind of a future bass influence? I'm truly at a loss :smith:

https://soundcloud.com/triggatrey413/skies/s-qLdOs1qkQAU

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 5, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Great use of space. I like the way it dances around the back-beat, and how that sets the little runs apart from the beat. Very musical. It does sound like some kind of background music, as there isn't a particular hook present (though the bass line makes it compelling anyway.)

In the absence of a hook/main riff/thematic melody I'd build it up to something a little crazier and let it spool out after. It's a little bit level at the moment. Still obviously musical, with a voice.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Great use of space. I like the way it dances around the back-beat, and how that sets the little runs apart from the beat. Very musical. It does sound like some kind of background music, as there isn't a particular hook present (though the bass line makes it compelling anyway.)

In the absence of a hook/main riff/thematic melody I'd build it up to something a little crazier and let it spool out after. It's a little bit level at the moment. Still obviously musical, with a voice.

Thanks for the thoughts! I definitely agree on your points. As I was making it I was intending on getting some vocals on it, but I ended up liking it so much (and it's pretty busy, to be honest. I'd have a hard time finding someone who could sound good on it) that I basically changed my mind and think I'm going to keep it an instrumental, haha.

Listening to it by itself it definitely gets pretty boring around halfway through, I'll see if I can get creative with that section, and probably come up with an actual outro. Cheers!

Oh and as far as a genre goes I'm almost leaning towards it just being slow dnb at this point. It's the closest I can think of.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I like it, and the beat is great. No idea what I'd classify it as either.

edit: completed this a few days ago and had fun messing around with guitar sounds and whatnot https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/funky-guitar

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Uploaded some DnB I finished up today after sitting on it for a while

https://soundcloud.com/user-801512603/bells-drum-n-bass

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

edit: completed this a few days ago and had fun messing around with guitar sounds and whatnot https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/funky-guitar
I always get drawn in by those busy almost-ostinato bass lines. I'm counting that as 16ths in my head, not sure I am right; but where I think people succeed here is keeping it going without it sounding like it is tripping on itself. Similarly to those artists who sometimes bring an arpeggiator-like approach. If you get the harmony right, you're already close and since this sounds almost entirely pentatonic to me it's right in my wheelhouse (as you have adopted funky guitar/bass parts, and you definitely played stuff an actual guitarist would play.)

The sounds are goofy to a person who usually only works with the real thing but that's part of the charm of this arrangement.

Reminded me of "Axel F" a little bit.

Production is really clean and crisp.

duck.exe posted:

Great buildup of layers, and a really neat chord choice there at 0:39 or so. Bent my expectation just enough to make me smile, which is a neat trick I try to use in my own stuff. Love the staging of the synth/piano. This isn't a style I can speak to very much. I get that here is a blast-beat feel, and that is certainly the point. If there is anything I'm looking for in this arrangement it's the B part of DnB. It's amazing to me today how nowadays when I go to people's SC links the production itself is just so good. You folks all have very good ears.

Barely related: Here's an ostinato that immediately jumped into my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYZmMOIJn4

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 5, 2022

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

I always get drawn in by those busy almost-ostinato bass lines. I'm counting that as 16ths in my head, not sure I am right; but where I think people succeed here is keeping it going without it sounding like it is tripping on itself. Similarly to those artists who sometimes bring an arpeggiator-like approach. If you get the harmony right, you're already close and since this sounds almost entirely pentatonic to me it's right in my wheelhouse (as you have adopted funky guitar/bass parts, and you definitely played stuff an actual guitarist would play.)

The sounds are goofy to a person who usually only works with the real thing but that's part of the charm of this arrangement.

Reminded me of "Axel F" a little bit.

Production is really clean and crisp.

Barely related: Here's an ostinato that immediately jumped into my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyYZmMOIJn4

Yeah 16ths on the bass. It's a lot easier of course for it to not sound like it's tripping over itself by not having a real player doing it :v:. I don't even remember what sound I was going for on the guitar at first and just kinda stumbled on to that and thought it sounded cool. It's really difficult (for me at least) to emulate sounds I hear since there's just a billion different options and setups.

And yeah I like kind of driving bass parts.

duck.exe posted:

I like this, especially the chords and layering.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Oooooh I like that guitar a lot. How did you discover that progression/modulation on it? Almost seem like it’s got a square wave LFO on it or something.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Oooooh I like that guitar a lot. How did you discover that progression/modulation on it? Almost seem like it’s got a square wave LFO on it or something.

To be honest it was just messing with amp/pedal presets from the plugin I've been using for guitars: https://www.overloud.com/products/th-u

It's the wah pedal that gives it that kind of sound with a compressor on it:

The instrument itself is Eastwest's 56 strat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love Overloud and there's probably more I'm not doing with it than I'll ever do with it. Probably my top favorite plugin, along with RC-20 Retro Color

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The number of options in it are truly staggering and I know I'm not even using it to 1% of its capabilities. For me it's more like a synth with a billion presets to browse through and find interesting things on, then tweak more to get what I want (or end up wanting). I have a friend that does a lot of guitar work and I really need to sit with her some time and see if she can help me get some specific sounds I've wanted.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I made another song. Yet again one that I've been working on here and there. Spent a whole lot of time working on the balance of it since there's quite a bit going on for a lot of it. Pretty happy with how it turned out even if it isn't perfect. What is anyway?

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/the-beauty-beneath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Finally posted another track. I've been stuck for a while. This one is more like a repetitive meditation, and not melody-driven.

https://soundcloud.com/ctenophore/hypercharge?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing