Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i don’t give a gently caress it’s been like 4 years shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
TLJ is the most pretentious film I’ve ever seen. It’s a bad movie that pretends to be smart. Also TFA sucked the big one and it was funny as hell when this film just completely crashed what little story they were setting up in this “trilogy”

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Noob Saibot posted:

TLJ is the most pretentious film I’ve ever seen.

Have you ever seen a movie without lasers in it because man

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Viller posted:

Its just Disney garbage written by retards who hate white men.

They are just dimishing what Obiwan did, just like they did with Luke. Hes not even the "hero" of his own show. All to create characters that no one will give a gently caress about when the show is over.

Expecting anything other then his force powers to suddenly show up because of something that happens to Leia or black chick inquisitor does something that upsets ol' ben is just being ignorant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1533162040939859968

Nodoze posted:

At the end of the whole thing we are left with:
Palpatine, Luke, and Han all having their characters assasinated. Han is regressed to a loving deadbeat dad who somehow lost track of his ship, abandoned his wife to go be a terrible swindler because reasons, and kind of a moron. Luke gets turned into a cowardly, crusty old hermit who gave up on life, Palpatine just turns into an idiot.
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1533154006129709058

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 5, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Luke already had a whole 'making rash decisions based on a hazy force vision of the future leads to bad consequences' thing in ESB, part of the maturing of his character for RotJ is that he should be implicity beyond that now.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
No! No character development, only the same story over and over! That's why Han's a smugger again too, and why Finn's arc in TLJ is just his arc from TFA again!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
LOL @ pretending it's clever social commentary or that it doesn't need an in-universe explanation rather than it just being an excuse to use the same designs to sell toys.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Luke already had a whole 'making rash decisions based on a hazy force vision of the future leads to bad consequences' thing in ESB, part of the maturing of his character for RotJ is that he should be implicity beyond that now.

do you think experiencing trauma is like levelling up in a video game?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
When I first watched TLJ I didn't thought it was trying to be smart at all, and also frankly I barely noticed the politics of it

I though it was a very confusing movie with some cool action scenes but also some very dumb conflicts (the whole Holdo drama) and I didn't like that they wasted Finn character and that they liked the loving big bad guy without ever explaining what the hell he was or where he came from in a satisfying manner

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Spermando posted:

LOL @ pretending it's clever social commentary or that it doesn't need an in-universe explanation rather than it just being an excuse to use the same designs to sell toys.
https://twitter.com/zaoelpis/status/1021928259846430722

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

This would work a lot better if the movie didn't end with the same kind of naive optimism. "We have everything we need," gently caress off Leia.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The point is that none of that is addressed in any of the films, textually or subtextually (and your tweet uses a character from a story that was written after the one with the fascists suddenly being powerful again). You never hear why the First Order came back to power--it's not because of racism or financial crises (and if you use Canto Bight as a reference for this, then that means every single important character in the series is a tool with hollow beliefs, which, why even bother telling the story then). They're just back because they have big ships and a powerful wizard backing them. And the established government is completely offscreen and we have no idea what kind of system they had. TLJ kills off Space Hitler before explaining how he rose to power, so now I find it hilarious that the movie that cuts in half the idea of explaining how fascists rose to power and reduces the conflict to a toxic relationship between two teenagers is somehow a good political allegory.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 5, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

No Mods No Masters posted:

Luke is a bit of a psycho in rotj during the jabba episode, especially choking jabba's pig guy guards to apparent death for no real reason. Maybe that's a bit of a reach but I think some people take it as a retroactive sign he was slipping.

Of course it's not clear disney themselves want to commit to luke slipping, from the sound of things deepfake luke is mostly badass coolguy

I liked that though because it's Return of the Jedi - He does Yoda's big trick (lifting Jabba's Big Door like Yoda does with the X-Wing), Vader's big trick (choking fools out), and Kenobi's big trick (manipulating Bib Fortuna's mind) all in like 30 seconds. And they have him wearing all black like Vader so it does make you wonder where his character is going to go and what went down between ESB and ROTJ from the outset which is cool.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

This would work a lot better if the movie didn't end with the same kind of naive optimism. "We have everything we need," gently caress off Leia.

That reminds me do they even actually stop or do anything against the First Order by the time RoS wraps up? Palpatine's death star destroyers or whatever was a totally separate thing right?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Luke force lifts the door? I don't remember that.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Make Cris Angel a sith

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Luke force lifts the door? I don't remember that.

The doorknob is a droid Luke wouldn't be able to mind trick, and an assole on top of that even to people who are subservient. Hard to believe it would open the door for Luke.

Bit it's not obvious, you kinda have to infer it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

The doorknob is a droid Luke wouldn't be able to mind trick, and an assole on top of that even to people who are subservient. Hard to believe it would open the door for Luke.

Bit it's not obvious, you kinda have to infer it.

I mean the way it's shot and the dialogue, this is absolutely not someone who rang the doorbell and was let in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mQooagqkWU

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 5, 2022

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hello I am here to say the best Star Wars is like ESB, TLJ, Rogue One, Mandalorian, Clone Wars Animated, that N64 game and some EU poo poo that I heard about when reading wikis.

Thank you.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The best Star Wars is the one where they go back in time to save the whales

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean the way it's shot and the dialogue, this is absolutely not someone who rang the doorbell and was let in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mQooagqkWU

Huh, it never clicked on me that he was actually choking the guards, I always thought he was just using the mind trick on them to make them stand down, I never noticed that the one in the left actually reached for his throat like the officers Vader chokes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

STAR WARS FILMS

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Last Jedi
Solo
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

STAR WARS FILMS

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Last Jedi
Solo
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker

I can’t believe this. gently caress u for forgetting the thread’s beloved ewok adventures films

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

STAR WARS FILMS

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Last Jedi
Solo
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker

You are missing Clone Wars, both Tartakovsky and Filoni's versions.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We doin' lists again?

RotS/ESB
Mando
ANH/ROTJ
TCW/CW
Rebels
BB
TotJ
Droids/Ewoks
TPM/AotC
Kenobi
RO
Solo/Resistance
BoBF
TFA
TLJ
ROS

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neo Rasa posted:

STAR WARS FILMS

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Last Jedi
Solo
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker

Solo is the last that I’d rewatch (the only one I haven’t rewatched, iirc). It may not be the worst of the bunch, but it’s the only one without any merit whatsoever. There’s no scene or shot in it where I go “well at least it had this bit.”

Even Rise of Skywalker has a few nice shots. Solo is just muddy and boring from tip to tail.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

Solo is the last that I’d rewatch (the only one I haven’t rewatched, iirc). It may not be the worst of the bunch, but it’s the only one without any merit whatsoever. There’s no scene or shot in it where I go “well at least it had this bit.”

Even Rise of Skywalker has a few nice shots. Solo is just muddy and boring from tip to tail.

I haven't even finished Solo, in fact I tapped out quite early. It's the only Star Wars movie I haven't seen in full, I even sat through loving Rise of. That said, the scene where Han Meets Chewie is kind of nice. It's just... everything about the movie feels like such a waste.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
ESB
ANH
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
TPM
AOTC
Rogue One
TFA
Solo
tie last jedi/rise of skywalker both are poo poo

I have not seen Solo since I saw it the first time and I can't remember if it's just boring or outright bad but I do know it isn't worse than TLJ or ROS. I don't remember it being better than TFA but I have zero desire to watch it again to find out, so it probably is fine where it is since I don't want to ever watch the TLJ or RoS again either

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I have also only seen Solo once but I remember thinking "that wasn't as bad as I expected" but I think that's because most of the main actors are doing their best and there's still small traces of the actually funny movie Lord & Miller wanted to make here and there

Rogue One also cratered my expectations so that also helped

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Solo is helped by having a stellar cast in a poorly written movie imo. I enjoy it when I rewatch it even if I'd completely rewrite chunks of it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My ranking:

Star Wars 2
Super Star Wars
Shin Star Wars
Star Wars
The Star Wars
Star Wars (2014)
Star Wars: Revelations
Rise of Skywalker

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Star Wars
Star Wars Z
Star Wars ZZ
Star Wars Victory
Star Wars: Vader's Counterattack
Star Wars: Origins
Star Wars: Leia's Island
Star Wars: Wars In the Pocket
Star Wars: Stardust Memories
Star Wars: Unicorn
Star Wars: Narrative
Star Wars: Star Savior

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

My ranking:

Star Wars 2
Super Star Wars
Shin Star Wars
Star Wars
The Star Wars
Star Wars (2014)
Star Wars: Revelations
Rise of Skywalker

So nearly right but any list that leaves out Star Wars: Star Ball Run is no list I can get behind

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Wolfsheim posted:

I have also only seen Solo once but I remember thinking "that wasn't as bad as I expected" but I think that's because most of the main actors are doing their best and there's still small traces of the actually funny movie Lord & Miller wanted to make here and there

Rogue One also cratered my expectations so that also helped

I will say that I expected it to be worse, although it still isn't good. Also it reeks of "why did this need to be made" and "we need to show all these events in hans life because we have a list of boxes to check and look we did all the things"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Imagine watching the Battle for Scarif and saying, “this movie cratered my expectations!!” Or even when they attempt to rescue Galen Erso.

It’s a slow start and rough but once it gets going shits great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeB-9lMKj9M

Nothing in Solo or the entire new trilogy comes close to being this good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Imagine watching the Battle for Scarif and saying, “this movie cratered my expectations!!” Or even when they attempt to rescue Galen Erso.

It’s a slow start and rough but once it gets going shits great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeB-9lMKj9M

Nothing in Solo or the entire new trilogy comes close to being this good.

There's this weightlessness to it because it's all in service of showing us a thing we didn't need to see (the rebels getting the plans) and none of the characters have enough of a personality (except film MVP Ben Mendelsohn) for me to feel anything when they all die in the span of ten minutes. This is also followed by an unrelated fan film of Vader murdering a bunch of guys, CGI Leia, and the weird choice to make it take place a few minutes before ANH begins which retroactively makes her dialogue in that film nonsense.

You could argue Solo is equally weightless because no one gives a poo poo about how Han got his red stripey pants or whatever, but that movie's not trying to be a dramatic war film so it works a little better :shrug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rogue One and Solo are both cool and good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Rogue One and Solo are both cool and good.

say that to dead-eyed CGI Peter Cushing's face :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
One of the best things r1 does is recontextualise the beginning of ANH. Helps explain Vader's uncharacteristic hot anger, too