Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Some people during the Dutch tulip mania ended up eating their tulip bulbs (either because they'd lost all their money, or to spite others) but can you eat a bored ape?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KennyMan666 posted:

Based on... what, exactly?

I'm honestly curious because they're extremely not fans of Trump, are pro-vaccines, did a two-parter episode entirely to say "we were so wrong about climate change, it's extremely real and will kill us all", and are pro-LGBT.

Trey and Matt considered themselves libertarians and "middle ground" guys in the early/mid-2000s, and at the very worst that's where they've remained, where the middle was in the Clinton and Bush eras.

'libertarians' are not middle ground

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

ScienceSeagull posted:

Some people during the Dutch tulip mania ended up eating their tulip bulbs (either because they'd lost all their money, or to spite others) but can you eat a bored ape?

See, tulips are a bad comparison, because they have a use value and not just exchange value!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: All shopping carts here come with a little lock that you need the coin equivalent of two dollars or a token to unlock, which is released when you return the cart to the corral, so at least I've never had to worry about figuring those out.

My brain temporarily broke at the idea of having to shove 8 quarters into one of those locking mechanisms, but then I remembered saner countries have done away with paper dollar bills.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
defending matt and trey's history of transphobia with the three episodes they didn't use the f slur due to a genetic memory of defending d w griffith because he directed intolerance after birth of a nation

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Dr. Stab posted:

I can't look in their heart, but I can look at their actions. If someone keeps saying transphobic things, I don't really need to know whether they are genuinely hateful, they're still doing damage.
Oh they've absolutely done some permanent damage. I don't know any younger trans person who wasn't deeply hurt by poo poo like this

And even I, geriatric tho I am, was really wounded by it.

Even if that wasn't the case, I'm never gonna be not mad because of every time I've heard this from some shithead:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OP not the idiot but TERFs are attacking women for not being TERF poisoned

https://twitter.com/deportablediz/status/1533397919524564992

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

KennyMan666 posted:

I will make absolutely no excuses for that 2005 South Park episode about transgenderism

the argument it was making wasn't that trans athletes shouldn't be allowed to compete

not intentional

really don't think M&T are transphobes.

They did come out strongly in favour of gay rights
if you don't want to make excuses then stop making excuses and rationalizations and "well what about this other issue", dumbfuck

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ScienceSeagull posted:

You have to slurp them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dude's wrong and right at the same time. If tulip bulbs had been something inherently valuable there wouldn't have been a famous economic bubble involving them.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Jun 5, 2022

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Please ask them what I do when the guy is rounding up the carts as I go to put mine in the corral. Do I just leave it there outside the corral for him, or do I put it on the cart train he's building or do I wait for him to leave and then put it in the corral.

This is a very stressful situation and I need to know. Please don't tell me it involves asking him because then I really will hide it in a ditch to avoid the interaction.

Hello yes I did this for a few years in high school.

The best option is to just go and stick it up at the front where the carts are supposed to go yourself, but this involves walking extra distance and therefor may be out of consideration for many people, goon or otherwise.

You can hand it to them and they'll (awkwardly) maneuver it onto the back of the train, or stick it on the front of the train, but this involves talking to them and making sure the train of carts isn't at the maximum size they can handle already, so I can see why it wouldn't be an option as I too hate talking to people and sympathize. You can also just run it to the nearest empty corral (acceptable but slightly annoying because c'mon man I JUST cleaned that one out!) or the nearest corral they haven't gotten to yet.

What you should absolutely not do is just leave the cart someplace randomly on the parking lot, because the cart person is who will get yelled at if a gust of wind or slope you didn't account for launches the empty cart into someone's new car.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

KennyMan666 posted:

even if I really don't think M&T are transphobes
yeah this is 100% not your call bud

I mean there's lots of disagreement among trans people on individual points but at least there's a baseline qualification

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I always return my shopping trolley to the wrong store. This is the correct approach. Get some sort of cross brand trolley collector meet-cute thing happening.

Your welcome trolley collectors, you don't have to thank me for my service.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inceltown posted:

I always return my shopping trolley to the wrong store. This is the correct approach. Get some sort of cross brand trolley collector meet-cute thing happening.

Your welcome trolley collectors, you don't have to thank me for my service.

This is called "cross-pollination" and is a healthy part of the ecosystem.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Byzantine posted:

Imagine all of those carts in the shelter loving at night, hehe

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Parker and Stone just seem like bad people who are also funny sometimes. This is the case with pretty much all comedians. I wish their dumb brand of political straddling and edgelord punching down hadn't been as influential as it ended up being but I'll still watch BASEketball once a year or so.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/Kneon/status/1533132398287790081?t=Xdg9jsrsC7HhPyTRTInC6A&s=19
"The same people who think Orcs are racist would be the letterman jacket wearing lynch mob back then, because those things are exactly the same".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Kobolds are friends

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/Kneon/status/1533132398287790081?t=Xdg9jsrsC7HhPyTRTInC6A&s=19
"The same people who think Orcs are racist would be the letterman jacket wearing lynch mob back then, because those things are exactly the same".

How the gently caress do people go through their lives carrying around axes to grind like this

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Heath posted:

How the gently caress do people go through their lives carrying around axes to grind like this

Theyre really into roleplaying

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone should have a grudge, god gave you the ability to be petty and vindictive and you should find avenues to exercise that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

rodbeard posted:

Mormon missions basically exist to try to trick foreign women to come to America to shore up their numbers. The charity work is only there to make it less obviously a trafficking operation. They barely even try to justify it if you watch a show like 90 Day Fiance. The first season involves a Mormon marrying a teenager he met when she was 12.

It’s not that, really. They’re glad to get converts, sure, but that’s really just a side benefit of the mission trips.

The main purpose of the Mormon mission is to condition their young. They’re sending their youngest adult members out into areas where they are utterly dependent on the church because they have nothing and don’t know anything or anybody, and they’re forcing them to spend the vast majority of their time trying to hard-sell their religion to outsiders who largely want nothing at all to do with them. The real end goal here isn’t a smattering of new converts, it’s teaching their missionaries that the world outside of the Mormon bubble is hostile and miserable, so that when they go back home they’ll be happy to fall in line and get to work tithing that 10% and popping out the next generation of missionaries.

I also think it may have something to do with encouraging quick marriages when they get back, by isolating them from 18-20 and chaining them to a permanent companion with orders to tattletale if they try and have any fun. When they fall back into the bubble they’re probably so lonely and horny that they’re willing to dive right into marriage and get to work on that swarm of kids they’re expected to have.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Heath posted:

It's called Live Action Role Play and the axe is blunt on purpose for safety.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Byzantine posted:

People like the smooth-rolling all-plastic Target carts, but at Kroger they're actually considered invasive, and are slowly driving the native wire-basket species there toward extinction.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The shopping cart theory, while not a strictly scientific endeavor but still interesting, supposes that if you return the cart you are inherently a good person. After all, there’s no rule that says you have to do it. No law is being broken if you don’t return it. It’s not like an employee is gonna come harangue you about it or ban you from the store. You are simply taking extra time and effort because it is just a nice thing to do.

To be clear, I make it a point of pride to never return carts because I’m not going to help a multibillion company in any way.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

oldpainless posted:

The shopping cart theory, while not a strictly scientific endeavor but still interesting, supposes that if you return the cart you are inherently a good person. After all, there’s no rule that says you have to do it. No law is being broken if you don’t return it. It’s not like an employee is gonna come harangue you about it or ban you from the store. You are simply taking extra time and effort because it is just a nice thing to do.

To be clear, I make it a point of pride to never return carts because I’m not going to help a multibillion company in any way.

The multi-billion dollar company isn't going to notice but the cart chaser making barely above minimum wage is. At least put the cart back if the weather is bad, if you aren't always going to do it

Piell has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Jun 6, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Not putting your cart back means you are a lovely person jfc.

Same as if you poo poo (figuratively) up a bathroom for no reason and don’t throw your trash away, etc. or when you make a mess in a building for the janitors to clean making no effort to fix your mess.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I yell at the minimum wage mcdonalds cashier about being out of ice cream because mcdonalds is worth 200 billion dollars. That's praxis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

KennyMan666 posted:

The season 23 episode with a guy pretending to be transgender to enter a women's sporting competition was definitely poorly conceived and got some well deserved backlash, even if the argument it was making wasn't that trans athletes shouldn't be allowed to compete.
I haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure it was making that argument because that is exactly the hypothetical that transphobes use to justify not letting trans women play sports.

KennyMan666 posted:

Season 18 had an episode that was in favour of accepting trans identities. Caitlyn Jenner was portrayed extremely unattractively, but she was dragged for being a lovely person, not for being trans.
Oh, so it wasn't transphobic, just misogynistic? Way better.

KennyMan666 posted:

They did come out strongly in favour of gay rights extremely early with the literal fourth episode of the show in 1997 having the message "there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay and it's wrong to ostracize people for being gay", a later episode was fully in favour of gay marriage, and the consistently most sensible adult characters are a happily married gay couple.
I haven't seen the show in many years, but wasn't their position essentially "we should let gays marry or whatever (because libertarian) but they are extremely ridiculous and dumb and it's cool to make them and their lives into punchlines"?

KennyMan666 posted:

they've definitely never been conservatives. Or liberals, just to cover that.
They've always very obviously been both.

Dr. Stab posted:

I can't look in their heart, but I can look at their actions. If someone keeps saying transphobic things, I don't really need to know whether they are genuinely hateful, they're still doing damage.
"We are what we pretend to be."

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: All shopping carts here come with a little lock that you need the coin equivalent of two dollars or a token to unlock, which is released when you return the cart to the corral, so at least I've never had to worry about figuring those out.

On an unrelated note, you can buy a little thing for your keyring that you can put in the slot to trip the mechanism without staking a dollar.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

KennyMan666 posted:

Eh, they really don't. Like, yes, they make fun of the left a lot too, but it's pretty dang clear where their opinions lie these days and it's not with the Republicans.
It's been said, but they repeatedly punch down at any minority they can find (trans people a recurring target). Cartman's influence alone got tons of Jews harassed in schools across my state (and probably the country) because it was so funny to just scream "Jew" at people. They have the outlook of the kid in high school who says he's socially liberal but fiscally conservative, meaning he holds almost exclusively conservative positions but he wants to be able smoke weed and thinks gay people are okay "as long as they don't get too in your face about it". Notably the two of them basically hold the lifetime achievement award for bothsides/truth in the middle dogma that winds up siding with tradition and power every time. There's a reason that kind of poisoned conservative/libertarian fake "centrism" is associated with a South Park mindset. Plus both creators have been on record saying they hate the left way more than the right and would never associate with them, and both have donated a ton of money to Republican causes.

You cite the ManBearPig apology as a point of leftism but that poo poo only exists because they made fun of climate change in the first place! And it's not like the science was still out at the time, there was already proof! They knew better! And the transgender relevant episodes you cite read like "okay they did one about a man pretending to be a woman to dominate at women's sports but that wasn't actually against trans women playing sports or anything" when it so clearly is. Even the early episodes about how gay people should be accepted, is Big Gay Al a progressive icon or just an extreme stereotype? And then literally anything with Mr. Garrison or Mr. Slave, I mean which part of this was supposed to be positive representation? They have entire seasons about how political correctness has gone mad!

Anyway, you know what they say about Libertarians.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Vib Rib posted:

Even the early episodes about how gay people should be accepted, is Big Gay Al a progressive icon or just an extreme stereotype? And then literally anything with Mr. Garrison or Mr. Slave, I mean which part of this was supposed to be positive representation?

South Park wasn't alone there, in the 90s even the more progressive forward-thinking depictions of LGBT+ people on TV had undercurrents of "haha gaaaaaay", and mainstream comedies we're dropping the F-slur until well into the 2000s.

Not that I'm defending anything else they've done.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Bargearse posted:

South Park wasn't alone there, in the 90s even the more progressive forward-thinking depictions of LGBT+ people on TV had undercurrents of "haha gaaaaaay", and mainstream comedies we're dropping the F-slur until well into the 2000s.

The key difference is how you approach your history. The guy who wrote the IT crowd (Graeme Linehan) wrote a transphobic episode in season 3. When criticised about the lovely episode he wrote, he doubled down so hard that he snapped his entire life in half.

On the other hand, the actor playing the character acknowledged it was lovely, talked about how he didn't know better at the time and how he'd learned a lot more since then. Most importantly (at least for him), he didn't double down and snap his life in half.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Party Ape posted:

The key difference is how you approach your history. The guy who wrote the IT crowd (Graeme Linehan) wrote a transphobic episode in season 3. When criticised about the lovely episode he wrote, he doubled down so hard that he snapped his entire life in half.

On the other hand, the actor playing the character acknowledged it was lovely, talked about how he didn't know better at the time and how he'd learned a lot more since then. Most importantly (at least for him), he didn't double down and snap his life in half.

Good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

That scene definitely hasn't aged well, not that it was particularly good to begin with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bargearse posted:

are they still doing it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, I grew up in the 90s and it took me a long time, longer than it probably should have, to erase "gay" and the f-word from my vocabulary of insults to the point that for a while I used the term "[gay/f-word], and not the good homosexual kind" as a kind of verbal backspace.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

And despite all his DEFENDER OF WOMEN AND GAYS schtick a lot of his work in that regard isn't that great either.

Lol women be loving shoes! Hey let's do an entire episode about periods lmao!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I never understood the "women be liking shoes" jokes either except if it was some kind of Imelda Marcos situation. I like shoes. They keep my feet from getting hurt while I walk around. Unless you're buying a new pair of shoes every month or so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If women don't love shoes, why are there women's shoes? Checkmate, athestits :smugmrgw:

E: what the gently caress is up with "sneakerheads", by the by? Are they all colour-blind?