Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

why would you go to a chlorinated pool

the beach is right there

they even have bars on it! Barefoot, Dukes, Mai Tai, I don't know if Shorebirds is still there but i'm sure something is in its place.

Nostalgia, mostly. Used to get drunk there with my wife an entire drat decade ago, holy poo poo. Shorebirds is still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Remind me, is PR the religious assistant rate?

Youre thinking of RP.

Google says The Aircrew Survival Equipmentman (PR) was originally known as a Parachute Rigger until the rating was formally changed to its current name in 1965. One of my RDCs was a PR now that I think about it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

Youre thinking of RP.

Google says The Aircrew Survival Equipmentman (PR) was originally known as a Parachute Rigger until the rating was formally changed to its current name in 1965. One of my RDCs was a PR now that I think about it.

Yup, this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I did a lot of research to determine this, but the Barefoot Bar at the Hale Koa has the best mai tais on Oahu.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Hale Koa is awesome in general, their luauas are great, and the Barefoot Bar has by far the best prices on drinks anywhere on Waikiki iirc.

I really like Hawaii, so of course Pearl's the only US submarine base the Navy never sent me to.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

You heard it here first folks, Top Gun 2 is a good summer blockbuster! Just saw it in IMAX and enjoyed it

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

You heard it here first folks

Yeah, when I said it.

Too slow, Rooster.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Watching the original top gun and Chapo wasn’t lying about how wet and moist the original is. Like all characters are sweaty at least 75% of the time on average.

It’s really weird to watch blockbuster movies from that era where everything wasn’t as polished and focus group tested yet, like how horny the movie is but for men at least as much as women and how bad yet oddly real the dialogue is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Watching the original top gun and Chapo wasn’t lying about how wet and moist the original is. Like all characters are sweaty at least 75% of the time on average.

It’s really weird to watch blockbuster movies from that era where everything wasn’t as polished and focus group tested yet, like how horny the movie is but for men at least as much as women and how bad yet oddly real the dialogue is.

Well the film was supposed to be in a hot area so…
Hydrate sir.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is all I know about the original Top Gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1LXL6OOsM

I've never actually seen the movie.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Wasn't it Indian Ocean? Thats not ball sweat area.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

lightpole posted:

They were sweating up a storm in movie-Enterprise's CIC, which is like the opposite of how I remember any CIC being kept.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SOP for us (Royal Norwegian Navy) was to keep temps pretty low in the CIC.

God knows it feels hot enough anyway when you're sitting there working in full flash gear during general quarters though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The ACs on ships are chilled using seawater. If the seawater inlet temp is is in the upper 70s, cooling is a lot more difficult.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So far into my rewatch every male character with dialogue is at least somewhat sweaty at least once.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

lightpole posted:

I figured the bad guys where supposed to be Libya

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Aren't you watching the movie, right now?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Thought of something: what’s the specific set of messages or instructions or whatever from the mid-to-late 2000s that ushered in the “kinder, gentler navy” that all the old dickheads reminisced about? I remember some people lamenting about not being able to do fan room counseling or drive drunk with impunity any more but I never found out where the turning point was.

(edit: i am reasonably sure they were all full of poo poo)

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 5, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xakura posted:

"Present Day" my rear end. There's no A-7s in CAGs any more.

I know I know. :thejoke:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MancXVI posted:

Thought of something: what’s the specific set of messages or instructions or whatever from the mid-to-late 2000s that ushered in the “kinder, gentler navy” that all the old dickheads reminisced about? I remember some people lamenting about not being able to do fan room counseling or drive drunk with impunity any more but I never found out where the turning point was.

I was in in the Eighties, and the crotchety old-timers were still sore at Zumwalt.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
More Z grams!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I had to talk my division into tacking on my third class crow in the manner of old because in the early 2000's the entire navy was very afraid of getting in trouble for any kind of hazing or harassment

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The initial incident is based on something that happened in Lybia, the enemy in the movie is just ~foreign country~.

Same in the second movie, it’s just some random country with nuclear reactors and F-14.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Was working on my eval and lol I was told I had to “grow into my crow” and don’t expect to make board.

Oh no don’t threaten me with a bad time. E6 is the poo poo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Regardless of the ambient wetness, Kelly McGillis is always drier than Tom Cruise in every scene I've paid attention to so far.

Xakura posted:

I'm talking about the sweaty CIC in the first scene.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Regardless of the ambient wetness, Kelly McGillis is always drier than Tom Cruise in every scene I've paid attention to so far.

Indian ocean can definitely be ball-sweat area, I served on the Enterprise and yeah some days CIC did get toasty if we had a casualty causing the air chilling to be hosed up in there. E originally was designed to operate in the North Atlantic and had chiller capacity as such it seemed.

Also those shots were shot in the actual Enterprise or a drat good mockup of it, because it looked definitely correct from my memories of the ships internal spaces. Same with Hunt for Red October.

Indian ocean does cross the equator, and if the hypothetical Enterprise was perhaps close to the African coast near the equator that's still the Indian Ocean and I can first hand confirm it gets hot as gently caress there, even in CIC.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 6, 2022

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is all I know about the original Top Gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1LXL6OOsM

I've never actually seen the movie.

That's pretty much the consensus view these days, although there are a few contrarian takes out there:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/comparative-media-studies-201-heterosexual-undertones-in-top-gun

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Crab Dad posted:

Was working on my eval and lol I was told I had to “grow into my crow” and don’t expect to make board.

Oh no don’t threaten me with a bad time. E6 is the poo poo.

I think E5 is the best and consequently the one that runs the navy for the most part

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I was wearing a jacket and under a blanket in anything <100 after the Red Sea/Persian Gulf.

How do you have an electronics space that isnt properly cooled? The chief on a car carrier turned off the control room AC in the Gulf while pulling a piston cause he thought people were spending too much time slacking in it. Aside from the heatstroke he managed to fry all the EOT cards and forced engine side maneuvers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anywhere can be a ball-sweat area if the air conditioning doesn't work.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The CIC is the very next shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfM2VMs_vI&t=239s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The original draft of the screen had the "bad guys" as North Korea, and it's somewhat echoed by the ending involving the fictitious "communications ship" S.S. Layton becoming disabled and drifting into hostile waters, a la the Pueblo incident.

But they relented and kept the "bad guys" as "anonymous Communists," hence the red star. They also changed the location to the Indian Ocean which was about as far from any Communist states as possible to further muddy the waters.

Now, in Iron Eagle, the bad guys were never named, but it was made exceptionally clear it was Libya. In the (first) sequel it was almost definitely Iran because Libya was a Soviet client state at the time and "both sides" didn't want a ~certain Middle Eastern country~ getting nuclear weapons.

FrozenVent posted:

The initial incident is based on something that happened in Lybia, the enemy in the movie is just ~foreign country~.

Same in the second movie, it’s just some random country with nuclear reactors and F-14.

I do remember Libya having/supposedly constructing an underground hardened nuclear weapons facility chemical weapons plant at Tarhunah during the tail-end of Clinton's presidency. I remember that one of the options on the table (which was mentioned publicly on CNN) was striking it with a B61-11, which might've motivated Gaddafi to give his WMD program up.

It was also pre-dated by the Iron Eagle 2 plot in 1988.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 6, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah I rewatched it with my fiancée when I was less high and realized I missed that text.

Definitely more North Korea watching it again

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I can confirm that running all available air conditioning plants in 80⁰F seawater, while they just constantly surge and try to turn themselves off is not a great time.

At least I never had to be in a CVNs engine room while they steam through water like that, no AC, hot as hell water, and a steam plant? No thanks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I can confirm that running all available air conditioning plants in 80⁰F seawater, while they just constantly surge and try to turn themselves off is not a great time.

At least I never had to be in a CVNs engine room while they steam through water like that, no AC, hot as hell water, and a steam plant? No thanks.

Pre-upgrade, our cooling plants ran at 115% capacity while sailing HNoMS Fridtjof Nansen through the Caribbean in 80-90F water. As far as I recall we didn't have any outright failures, but it was a brand new boat after all :v:

We had a really, really lovely time in the Med with an older frigate back in '05 though. They struggled to get the AC working AT ALL in the berthing areas when it started to get hot and it was 80+F for a few days. That loving sucked. That old boat had a steam plant, too, and the boys in the engine room did not enjoy themselves too much.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wibla posted:

Pre-upgrade, our cooling plants ran at 115% capacity while sailing HNoMS Fridtjof Nansen through the Caribbean in 80-90F water. As far as I recall we didn't have any outright failures, but it was a brand new boat after all :v:

We had a really, really lovely time in the Med with an older frigate back in '05 though. They struggled to get the AC working AT ALL in the berthing areas when it started to get hot and it was 80+F for a few days. That loving sucked. That old boat had a steam plant, too, and the boys in the engine room did not enjoy themselves too much.

From the time we entered the Med all the way until we exited back out to the Atlantic at the end of our cruise, the chillers on CVN-65 could not keep up with the heat load from the water, and were regularly out of service or weak.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

orange juche posted:

From the time we entered the Med all the way until we exited back out to the Atlantic at the end of our cruise, the chillers on CVN-65 could not keep up with the heat load from the water, and were regularly out of service or weak.

gently caress, that sucks.

Heh, our evaporator died like a day into the Med. That's highly problematic on a boat with a steam plant. Only the cooks were allowed to shower daily, and we were drinking bottled water until we got to Malaga.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MancXVI posted:

I know this was a rhetorical question but Tailhook was probably the closest thing to a step change in culture in the last few decades.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

I can't speak for CVN's, but on one particular CGN, engineroom temp was generally 35F higher than seawater temp. Feed Pump Watch in the Caribbean was, as they say, no bueno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Why don't you guys just go down to 500 feet where the water is 40 degrees all the time idgi