Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

absolutely not. You have to know your rights and stop them
Sure, but it's pretty tough to quote from the ACLU pamphlet when you've got most of your teeth knocked out and your mouth is full of blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZy6vKQ4MI

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

Sure, but it's pretty tough to quote from the ACLU pamphlet when you've got most of your teeth knocked out and your mouth is full of blood.

that is challenging, yes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

I was on 3rd and Morris on tuesday for work. Good to know this is happening in my backyard and there is no way to stop it

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I was on 3rd and Morris on tuesday for work. Good to know this is happening in my backyard and there is no way to stop it

The Supreme Court is about to rule on a case where handguns will be allowed in NYC or Philly regardless of what laws those states want. It's gonna get a lot spicier out there! Thanks republicans! And to everyone who didn't bother voting for Hillary!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Blooster posted:

The Supreme Court is about to rule on a case where handguns will be allowed in NYC or Philly regardless of what laws those states want. It's gonna get a lot spicier out there! Thanks republicans! And to everyone who didn't bother voting for Hillary!

won't be the first time in my life that Philly is the most gun murder city in the world. Horary!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

absolutely not. You have to know your rights and stop them

And that stops them?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

And that stops them?

no. most likely not. It can't hurt to tell people that they aren't supposed to do it.
E: they being the mall cops

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

my elderly parents live half a mile away, as does my sister with her toddler. it's an awesome time to be an american :)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The weird thing about it that some people who aren't even cops get super offended when you point out that we select the dumbest, most aggressive, and easy to order around motherfuckers for the job.

That's not a whoopsie, that's by loving design. You want your enforcers to be dumbass thugs.

Same as any grunt, you don't want them asking "why?", you just want them to say "ok".

And maybe they get to play with their toys and hurt people, all legal beagle. Fun!

Like this isn't a loving children's cartoon.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Off duty cops absolutely have the power to arrest you if they see you committing a crime. Many departments have policies discouraging it and there’s a shitton of paper work when you arrest someone so cops are incentivized to try to hand it off to someone off duty so they don’t do a bunch of unpaid labor but neither of those are the same things as laws which generally do give cops the right to arrest you. Please don’t yell about laws that don’t exist, you will piss the cop off and make them decide that the unpaid labor is totally worth it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Off duty cops absolutely have the power to arrest you if they see you committing a crime. Many departments have policies discouraging it and there’s a shitton of paper work when you arrest someone so cops are incentivized to try to hand it off to someone off duty so they don’t do a bunch of unpaid labor but neither of those are the same things as laws which generally do give cops the right to arrest you. Please don’t yell about laws that don’t exist, you will piss the cop off and make them decide that the unpaid labor is totally worth it.

you just showed more knowledge about the law than 99% of police officers

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blooster posted:

Thanks republicans! And to everyone who didn't bother voting for Hillary!

But you repeat yourself, sir. :smuggo:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That collapse was a structural safety issue in a privately owned building? I'm talking about stuff that actually does get 1) enforced and 2) absolutely is now and has been a part of the conversation for construction of public buildings for 15 years now. And especially so for schools and universities, for which the number of exits has exactly nothing to do with slum lord owners or capitalism.

I know it's part of the conversation from first hand experience. You probably can't find a single architect in the country designing buildings for schools that isn't considering how to mitigate a mass shooting attempt. It's similar to how every single major federal building has been built with measures to mitigate truck bombings since the mid 90s.

The point of that example is that no amount of egress or fire escapes are going to save people from a catastrophic failure situation. Hell, a door closing and locking failing--at the one time it shouldn't--happened, and no amount of extra doors would have changed that situation.

Property tax-payers are the people who are on the hook for municipal funding(new buildings and such) in addition to education taxes. Legislators are bending over backwards to keep those things down so they can get re-elected, and the side effect of that lowest bid electioneering is that improvements have trouble getting funding, like new buildings. There's enough money for renovations and maintenance, but outside of some places with good fiscal numbers the rest of the U.S. is stuck pulling the "make do" upgrading like when the military had to uparmor their vehicles for IEDs: you don't get a new one, you get an old one with new stuff added, because there's no money to just replace as needed.

My old high school still has the 1960s-era segregation water fountains installed and in use because they work in this, TYOOL 2022; those things are old enough to collect retirement, much like a lot of American infrastructure. Schools are among the institutions that get the short end of the funding stick, and gerrymandered old conservatives aren't going to vote for anything different.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Blooster posted:

The Supreme Court is about to rule on a case where handguns will be allowed in NYC or Philly regardless of what laws those states want.

Lol!
:blastu::murica::blastback:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Nice, my school got a shooting threat for tomorrow. God gently caress the USA.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tp usa is holding a young womans leadership conference and this is some of pro gun stuff there

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 6, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean that last sign is absolutely correct.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So what's the leadership portion about? Plastering guns and tits everywhere?

edit: in their favor, I'm a fan of guns and tits, but that's not my point.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Plastering guns and tits everywhere?

Big Guns & Bigguns

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Real leadership is about leading, publicly, and conspicuously, publicly leading, at rallies and conventions about leadership.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Tp usa is holding a young womans leadership conference and this is some of pro gun stuff there

Attacking women and minorities who are republicans ignores the fact that the republicans' core ideology says anyone who is not a rich male WASP is subhuman vermin. Don't waste your time focusing on kabuki theater like this, which is what the republicans want you to do, and instead focus on attacking the people who would actually be in charge if the republicans took over.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

gently caress. That one guy thinking about arsonists made me realize that it's only a matter of time before one of these fucks realizes they can pull the fire alarm and everyone will clump up into a nice big ball for them to unload on.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

FoolyCharged posted:

gently caress. That one guy thinking about arsonists made me realize that it's only a matter of time before one of these fucks realizes they can pull the fire alarm and everyone will clump up into a nice big ball for them to unload on.

That is what the Parkland school shooter did, I believe. He never actually entered a classroom, but was able to kill 17 people.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

And that stops them?

ya, a camera recording and some legal knowledge makes most cops straighten up and fly right

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m not sure if it came up in the thread but the inquiry into the mass shooting here in NS showed that one of the commanding officers showed up six rum and cokes deep and held officers back, including when four kids were on the phone begging to be rescued

Edit: he and one other cop got special privileges when testifying, including getting all questions ahead of time and being able to record their answers and submitting them or something

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Can AC/DC sue them for misuing their font like that?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jestery posted:

Utterly naval gazing here

But highschool can be genuinely traumatic for some people, perhaps some latent bullshit to "get back" at society

Not generalising, just naval gazing at possibilities

Let us gaze lovingly at the beautiful USS Missouri, together.

But I 100% agree. My high school was "OK" in that I was only verbally bullied to the point where I stopped going to school and had to finish high school a few years later in night school, but I know a bunch of people who had it even worse. And this was Finland in the 90s, which was a very tame place compared to some of the poo poo that was going on elsewhere, and is now going on in Finland.

I'm not surprised some young and immature people who don't yet have a ton of experiences in life reacting in very drastic ways to this poo poo. I am not condoning it, but I can understand where it's coming from, and beyond the obvious first move of "STOP LETTING EVERYONE HAVE loving MILITARY GRADE GUNS YOU loving MORONS" we desperately need more resources to combat this poo poo. This poo poo fucks people up for life and nobody deserves that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Stuff like this always reminds me of that scene from Three Kings. Pop king of sick loving country.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Sitting here at work, teaching high school. We had a shooting threat today. Half the kids and teachers are out and everyone is very tense and quiet. They said there will be more cops here but i havent seen a single fuckin one. This fuckin sucks.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Sitting here at work, teaching high school. We had a shooting threat today. Half the kids and teachers are out and everyone is very tense and quiet. They said there will be more cops here but i havent seen a single fuckin one. This fuckin sucks.

Stay safe fellow goon.

Don’t worry, I’m sure the cops are just hiding a safe distance away!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Very cool and very normal. If half the teachers are out why are you there? Seems like a half full school could just be like remote or something

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i'm embarrassed to own nugs.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

You are braver than any cop

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Stay safe fellow goon.

Don’t worry, I’m sure the cops are just hiding a safe distance away!

As long as the cops are out, there's nothing for our goon to worry about

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Very cool and very normal. If half the teachers are out why are you there? Seems like a half full school could just be like remote or something

Im stubborn. gently caress the motherfucker who made the threat. They got arrested this morning. Also only the state can declare school is virtual, the district cant.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wtf!!! that sucks stay safe

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Let us gaze lovingly at the beautiful USS Missouri, together.

Man, I know it's a killing machine but hell if it doesn't look dope.

If I was captain I would want to ram my enemies and slice their hulls open. Maybe put some extra cutting/reinforcement on the front.

"Ramming speed!"

"Uh, sir, you know we have huge rear end guns and can engage from a distance right?"

"RAMMING SPEED!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PokeJoe posted:

wtf!!! that sucks stay safe

Do you have a halfbrick to stick in your sock?