Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

evilweasel posted:

the SEC is, uh, slightly annoyed with the amount of idiots in the market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3k_lcGm9g

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between meme stocks & retirement funds. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Look we just wanted cute pics of us feeding Mickey and Minnie cheese and crackers (mouse food lol) and it was worth our money. We don’t get why people are mad about it.

No the cheese and crackers weren’t available to guests, why would that matter

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

Look we just wanted cute pics of us feeding Mickey and Minnie cheese and crackers (mouse food lol) and it was worth our money. We don’t get why people are mad about it.

No the cheese and crackers weren’t available to guests, why would that matter

You joke, but...

quote:

The actors joined my husband and I as well as our photographer for a private lunch.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I didn’t know you could forgo catering with an official Disney Wedding. I thought it was just part of the obscenely expensive package.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You joke, but...

Ok, that's it. That's the best thing I've read all week.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Stolen from the r/relationships thread:

AITA for not having catering at my wedding?

My (F28) and my fiancée (M30) just got married two months ago and we had our dream wedding. Everything was perfect, and I mean everything. My parents and his parents helped us pay for a great chunk of the wedding so we would be debt free and we are so eternally grateful for that.

The issue arose about a month and a half ago when my aunt started posting on facebook about how disappointed she was with the whole ordeal and a few guests sided with her.

Background-my fiancée and I are huge Disney fans,

Not BWM content, but I went to read some comments on the OP, and read a tangent about how it is normal at Swedish events to only feed guests if there was an explicit dinner invite as well. Someone posted this, and I am a child, but it made me laugh:

quote:

As a Swede, I grew up in circles that liberally used the phrase "finns det hjärterum finns det sjärterum" (lit "if there is heart room there is butt room", which means you make room for those you love).

Very sweet sentiment, but also ha ha you said butt.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grumpwagon posted:

Not BWM content, but I went to read some comments on the OP, and read a tangent about how it is normal at Swedish events to only feed guests if there was an explicit dinner invite as well. Someone posted this, and I am a child, but it made me laugh:

Right after Sweden and Finland submitted their NATO applications all of a sudden a bunch of rumours started spreading on the internet about how Swedes and Finns are selfish people who don't like sharing even with their friends and family.

Gosh I wonder where those rumours came from.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes I’m sure Russia is deploying mean girl tactics

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You joke, but...

Oh…. :stare:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Any of you goons getting married where I get to pay for and pick my own food, sign me the hell up. Where can I put my hog roaster and keg?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have had a pizza delivered to a wedding reception.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Elephanthead posted:

Any of you goons getting married where I get to pay for and pick my own food, sign me the hell up. Where can I put my hog roaster and keg?

I mean, if you want to roast a hog and have a keg at a wedding it's extremely doable. I went to one about 10 years back that was held on a farm an hour outside a city with exactly that: a southern pig pickin' and a shitton of kegs.

Nice wedding, great reception, amazing post-reception party.

edit: food/beer was all provided by the bride's family, venue was paid for by the bride & groom. Hog was cooked by the groom's college buddies / best men.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Midjack posted:

I have had a pizza delivered to a wedding reception.

We did this at our wedding (at 10PM after the actual dinner) and it was a huge hit. Well like 10 pizzas

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Disney people scare me. It'll only be a matter of time before Disney decides to weaponize their legion of followers. All hail the mighty mouse god.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

FateFree posted:

We did this at our wedding (at 10PM after the actual dinner) and it was a huge hit. Well like 10 pizzas

Not a pizza delivery, but my friend’s wedding was done by a pizza truck and it was the best wedding food I’ve experienced. Dinner pizza -> desserts -> leftover inventory from dinner pizzas becomes late night pizzas.

1000x better than spending near $3k to hang out with a mouse costume for 30 min.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, if you want to roast a hog and have a keg at a wedding it's extremely doable. I went to one about 10 years back that was held on a farm an hour outside a city with exactly that: a southern pig pickin' and a shitton of kegs.

Nice wedding, great reception, amazing post-reception party.

edit: food/beer was all provided by the bride's family, venue was paid for by the bride & groom. Hog was cooked by the groom's college buddies / best men.

I went to one in north yorkshire in the 1980s just like this, barn dance themed and there was deer on a spit and a drunk uncle just collapsed by his own keg to a bad Elvis impersonator while the bride screamed with laughter and got lots of photos.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This thread has been far too long without wedding chat and I for one welcome its return.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Wedding FOOD chat is a welcome change. Literally just attended a wedding yesterday and the food situation was:

+generic bar, but was open
+a gigantic counter loaded with meats/cheeses/crackers/fruits in a charcuterie buffet
+a bunch of donuts and donut holes instead of a wedding cake

Simple, yet up there with the most enjoyable wedding spread I’ve ever enjoyed

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cael posted:

Wedding FOOD chat is a welcome change. Literally just attended a wedding yesterday and the food situation was:

+generic bar, but was open
+a gigantic counter loaded with meats/cheeses/crackers/fruits in a charcuterie buffet
+a bunch of donuts and donut holes instead of a wedding cake

Simple, yet up there with the most enjoyable wedding spread I’ve ever enjoyed

Been to a couple weddings now where donuts were the big dessert, always goes over well, no complaints.

Also went to a wedding with a taco bar, food was great but everyone loaded up on meat and it ran out in no time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Some friends of mine had cupcakes instead of a wedding cake (I think they had a small one for ceremony). I thought that was pretty slick, honestly.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Pittsburgh weddings with cookie tables are where it's at.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We doing wedding self posts now? BWM Thread Summer break!

We did "stations" at our wedding. I can honestly say that was a much better option quality wise than pretty much any sit down dinner I've had at a wedding.

We also did donuts at the end of the night from our favorite Philly donut place.

To this day I refuse to tally up all of the receipts. Even if I tried I'm pretty sure my wife hid some from me.

Edit: most insane wedding food thing I saw was a wedding in northern/central jersey that had an absolutely insane spread for pre-dinner apps. We’re talking multiple towering meat/cheese spreads, chocolate fountain, etc. Just bonkers levels of food. Wedding dinner itself was mediocre however. And being a jersey wedding, the ceremony, reception, and suggested hotels were each like an hour apart.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 5, 2022

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
I recently went to a wedding where the catering was provided by a company that towed an entire pizza oven to the venue on its own trailer and made super fresh pizzas right there for everyone. We even were encouraged to take home leftovers. Absolutely top-tier wedding food.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Tyro posted:

Pittsburgh weddings with cookie tables are where it's at.

Oh hell yeah, the eastern European immigrants really know how to throw a raging party. I don't know how I stayed so skinny all my life, I felt like I never stopped eating heavy meals and snacks.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Commissar Kayla posted:

I recently went to a wedding where the catering was provided by a company that towed an entire pizza oven to the venue on its own trailer and made super fresh pizzas right there for everyone. We even were encouraged to take home leftovers. Absolutely top-tier wedding food.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Not a pizza delivery, but my friend’s wedding was done by a pizza truck and it was the best wedding food I’ve experienced. Dinner pizza -> desserts -> leftover inventory from dinner pizzas becomes late night pizzas.

1000x better than spending near $3k to hang out with a mouse costume for 30 min.

2 for 2. Pizza ovens confirmed as the GWM and GWL wedding catering option.

The desserts were cookies made in the pizza oven as well, which owned.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

My wife and I had a brunch buffet at a nice restaurant for our reception, except we totally messed up and got too much food. We bought food for 60 guests, but didn't take into account that a full 20 of that 60 were little kids and they wouldn't eat nearly as much as an adult would. Even after we sent people home with as many leftovers as they'd take, my wife and I still had enough food where we didn't have to cook for the next two or three days. A little bad with money, but pretty good with the guests!

It was a while before I could even look at French toast again, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maybe BWM, but GWL: never EVER run out of food at a party.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

evilweasel posted:

the SEC is, uh, slightly annoyed with the amount of idiots in the market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3k_lcGm9g
:hmbol:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This guy heads a VC investment firm and a career counseling service that costs several thousand dollars to get inside advice like:

https://twitter.com/SahilBloom/status/1533492488404606977
https://twitter.com/SahilBloom/status/1533492499754491904
https://twitter.com/SahilBloom/status/1533492502489190401
https://twitter.com/SahilBloom/status/1533492503424507909

Even if you weren't paying him thousands of dollars to dispense information like this, lol at the idea that 10 people would invite you in to their house, spend an hour talking to you, and be excited to give you their contact information for follow-up calls from you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The best part is that, while you might get the first interview while the coffee's still warm, you're absolutely going to have cold coffee for anything after that.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If someone rang my doorbell and asked mr those questions I would assume it was an MLM scam

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
That reads a lot like the garbage that the LinkedInfluencers copy/paste.

"And in that house was the CEO of Microsoft Bill Gates and we ran away to fight mosquitos together!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This guy heads a VC investment firm and a career counseling service that costs several thousand dollars to get inside advice like:

no but this is a million dollar idea that he's giving away for free! Imagine what sort of ideas he has when you're actually paying him!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Upgrade posted:

If someone rang my doorbell and asked mr those questions I would assume it was an MLM scam

Here is the complete list of people that come to my porch (friends and family use the side door):

1. The mailman
2. People trying to sell complete bullshit if not outright scams

If anyone rings my doorbell and the first words out of their mouth aren't something like "Hey so I live across the street..." they just get an immediate "I'm not interested" and I close the door in their face. They just shrug and immediately move on because they know they will find someone who will listen to their sucker pitch quicker, and they are glad to not have wasted their time with someone who was never going to go for it.

Now that I think about it, I should tell them "Ooh, interesting, can you hold on for a minute?" and then close the door.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 6, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That kid gonna learn about having doors slammed in their face and maybe having the cops called on them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

That kid gonna learn about having doors slammed in their face and maybe having the cops called on them.
This is America, that's if they're lucky and/or white.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh yeah if they’re not white they’re getting arrested and / or shot.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think he's got a case of money-brain, because when I think "nice-ish neighborhood", I'm assuming the residents are office workers, successful tradesmen, retirees. He's not implying that you should get in good with the local plumber, though, because in his mind a "nice-ish neighborhood" is occupied by people who only own businesses worth single-digit millions, but might be impressed with your firm handshake.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

With 10 disposable cups / 10 interviews in the day, are you supposed to offer some coffee to whomever you're talking to and not have any yourself? Are you supposed to steal a whole thing of creamer from the coffee shop or buy your own container? Or are you expected to have packets of lovely powder creamer? Do you bring a vaccine card / recent negative test with you to your meetings? Important questions I need answered!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Honesty if kid came to my door with coffee to ask me about my job I’d give them an hour of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Ok so I’m the naive and optimistic basic bitch who eats this poo poo up (I loooove the potential to help young people get their careers started and have written lengthy diatribes in response to cold emails from women in my industry) but this is the part that offends me:

https://twitter.com/SahilBloom/status/1533510998082068481?s=20&t=wkke8VQFmob-3b8q-bYQWg

It’s not even his idea!!!