Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found the place with the giant sea monster that talks to you opened all the portals etc. but I’m not sure what to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I found the place with the giant sea monster that talks to you opened all the portals etc. but I’m not sure what to do next.

Did you open the portal at the bottom of her enclosure?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I picked up an Oculus 2 and of course one of the first things I wanted to try was SN.
I got the VR mod from nexus but for some bizarre reasons I have no water physics.
Meaning I load up my save on the platform at the end and jump off and plummet 300m to the floor below.
I was able to get to my base below after loading up again but when jumping into the moonpool, again no water physics.
Loaded a save maybe 4-5 times and the same thing happens.
Any fix for this?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

OgNar posted:

I picked up an Oculus 2 and of course one of the first things I wanted to try was SN.
I got the VR mod from nexus but for some bizarre reasons I have no water physics.
Meaning I load up my save on the platform at the end and jump off and plummet 300m to the floor below.
I was able to get to my base below after loading up again but when jumping into the moonpool, again no water physics.
Loaded a save maybe 4-5 times and the same thing happens.
Any fix for this?

Pretty sure the Steam version has VR built in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I'm playing through Steam.
It is the Steam version.

The mod supposedly just fixes a few things like the tablet being glued to your face.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And what happens when you start a new game? Try different game modes as well

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

After much searching the answer was to die.
Somehow that resets it.
Now I have water physics again. had reloaded the save a good 5-6 times before I tried leaping off into chasms.

Its weird how VR somehow changes the scope of things, its almost like you are somehow smaller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think in non VR the game doesn't do the best job of conveying it's scale. I'd see some creature and think it was like twice the size of me, but then I'm swimming around and I see it next to my seamoth and it's actually like 50 feet tall/long.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

veni veni veni posted:

That's good to know. I'll just max out the depth on that then.

I was like "holy poo poo this is so cool" when I made the cyclops. It's really neat how they made it. But then you get in it and it's slow as hell, impossible to see anything, cumbersome in how huge it is and worst of all it's just constantly being attacked by everything. I feel like I spend 80% of the time repairing it. I know theres some Cyclops mods to help with that but I just do not want to use this thing at all.

I know I'm late but please make sure everyone gets the sonar upgrade for the cyclops, makes navigating the depths wayyyy easier than just being totally blind

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

zeldadude posted:

I know I'm late but please make sure everyone gets the sonar upgrade for the cyclops, makes navigating the depths wayyyy easier than just being totally blind

Sonar mod is basically 110% mandatory if you don't enjoy trying to drive via bonking off of things.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Cyclops starts off clunky but the thing legit makes everything easy. That combo'd with the prawn suit and you become a god. I was living in it by the end, squeezing through narrow tunnels to get to 1800m depth and then chilling in active geysers to recharge it. Most stuff will ignore you if you just keep moving or stop and switch the engine off.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Given you can cycle between keel, conning tower, and tail mounted cameras and pan them around (in addition to the cockpit) I would entirely dispute that the sonar is required. It is merely very useful.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sonar may be merely 'useful' for not headbutting the terrain, but for actually seeing the lay of the land as it extends into the distance it's irreplaceable. Who are these people who build a cyclops then just hop in and yolo into the depths, I want to know? Each excursion was a major undertaking and I'd have never taken it out without its upgrades, too drat expensive.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Just encountered the bug where the game thinks I've done things already.
Like finding those things that give blueprints but they're already open, and DeGassi PDAs missing.
Quit in the hopes that its unbugged next time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

zeldadude posted:

I did add a bunch of cyclops upgrades in the end but still ultimately found it mostly useless other than eventually permanently parking it near the big tree and using it as a prawn dock which didn't even end up mattering because I had plenty of super batteries for the prawn at that point.

Cyclops is impressive in the way Subnautica is in general, in the sense that there is all of this cool functionality built in and it's implemented in this way that feels really neat and "real" in the game world but I just did not find it fun to use and the upkeep was a real pain. If I played the game again I don't even think I'd build one. The Prawn can get to the same depths and is way useful, and the seamoth is more fun than either of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I guess I never posted my final take on the game which is that its really impressive and mostly fun, but has some of the worst pacing. The general sandbox they created is really noteworthy and cool. The atmosphere and world is really good if not a bit cartoony for my tastes. But overall I liked it a lot.

The game just sort of gives up after the botched rescue mission though. From there on out it's just sort of looking for needles in haystacks and a lot of it was really tedious.

Still overall I think it's a solid game but I have some serious gripes about how obtuse it can be.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I did add a bunch of cyclops upgrades in the end but still ultimately found it mostly useless other than eventually permanently parking it near the big tree and using it as a prawn dock which didn't even end up mattering because I had plenty of super batteries for the prawn at that point.

Cyclops is impressive in the way Subnautica is in general, in the sense that there is all of this cool functionality built in and it's implemented in this way that feels really neat and "real" in the game world but I just did not find it fun to use and the upkeep was a real pain. If I played the game again I don't even think I'd build one. The Prawn can get to the same depths and is way useful, and the seamoth is more fun than either of them.

Yes,

but can the cyclops clip through the ground and kill you by the ever increasing pressure of the void like the prawn suit?

(im sure it can...)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

OgNar posted:

Just encountered the bug where the game thinks I've done things already.
Like finding those things that give blueprints but they're already open, and DeGassi PDAs missing.
Quit in the hopes that its unbugged next time.

Just to be sure, you have a working carbon monoxide detector right

e: this isn't snark I'm serious

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
In my experience, I found lots of things without realizing it because ‘scan everything’ and didn’t check what they unlocked until, much later. Random codex entires do give you unlocks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had an interesting rhythm of trying to spend the day exploring only to scrabble back to the safety of my base at night and read through the codex at night when it's dark and scary outside.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Sonar mod is basically 110% mandatory if you don't enjoy trying to drive via bonking off of things.

Why drive the Cyclops if you don't enjoy bonking off of things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cue me replaying the game and assuming I don't need sonar because I didn't recall using it all that much last time.

Guess what?

I misremembered. Used it all the time. drat annoying not having it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This is how wonky my SN game is atm

Spoiler I guess

The Sunbeam hasnt even arrived yet and that portal isnt open yet, but Enzyme42 is floating about.
Multiple things with blueprints have already been opened and I was only ably to find 1 purple tablet out of the 6 or so on the island.
Which is sorta irrelevant because all doors are open, Also no ion cubes, which may hamper that final room/portal to get out.

Debated touching the enzyme now to shut down the big gun, but casual YT search shows that people have tried and the Sunbeam still blows up.
Destined to fail.

Debating on continuing and fixing with cheats when I need to, It my first VR run and would really hate to stop/restart.

All PC modded.
But I had this bug happen quite awhile ago before I had gotten into the mods, so its not that.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

OgNar posted:

Debated touching the enzyme now to shut down the big gun, but casual YT search shows that people have tried and the Sunbeam still blows up.
Destined to fail.

Those people are wrong, if you shut down the cannon the sunbeam will not be destroyed and its crew will survive. It is not destined to fail at all. Do it. Do it now

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Those people are wrong, if you shut down the cannon the sunbeam will not be destroyed and its crew will survive. It is not destined to fail at all. Do it. Do it now

:aaaaa: you’re making me really want to make a new file and rush to this point just for the new dialog.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

:aaaaa: you’re making me really want to make a new file and rush to this point just for the new dialog.

If you want a spoiler: They still don't rescue you, there ends up being some asteroid field they can't maneuver. They apologize and leave.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Was there some kind of Modding apocalypse on the nexus for this game? It seems like the vast majority of mods I used on my last runthrough got removed

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Looks like the ones I use are all still there, when was the last time you checked?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Omnicarus posted:

Was there some kind of Modding apocalypse on the nexus for this game? It seems like the vast majority of mods I used on my last runthrough got removed

Yeah, there was a giant drama bomb about Nexus's terms of service a bit ago and a bunch of modders across a lot of games picked up and left. They're usually still available on Github or have self-hosted, you just need to know to look elsewhere.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Oh yeah, that was mid-late last year I think.
Never did find out what that was all about.
Other than angry nerds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

angry nerds.

THE shittiest mobile game.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

something about ad revenue or, nexus terms changing to say they owned anything hosted and not the mod authors

it's mostly just annoying for the end-user because idk what mod authors ever made money off making mods, but i'm not sure what nexus did is anything outside the standard fare 'if it's on our hosting site, we have rights to it' most services do? it was kinda just a weird thing, but yeah a bunch of my SN1 mods aren't there anymore, and you have to go through a discord server to try finding anything which only the nerdiest will want to wade through just to make the seaglider not suck, or whatever

Also thanks for that spoiler, that solves my intrigue.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you want a spoiler: They still don't rescue you, there ends up being some asteroid field they can't maneuver. They apologize and leave.

I believe it's a debris field caused by the downing of the Aurora.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone tried this?
Not sure I want to change that much.

http://fcstudioshub.com/subnautica/subnauticafcspda/

"The six mods of the Alterra Hub Mod Suite comprise a DLC-level experience.

The core element is the Alterra Hub which delivers a new experience in obtaining items. Easily convert your excess ores into items selected from your FCStudios PDA and delivered to your chosen base via drone.

Other optional modules introduce many items and devices related to the Home, Production, Storage, Energy, and Life Support."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nT_phF0JzI

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Is there a timestamp for when the guy shows off the mod stuff? Don't really want to waste time watching him play the game badly.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Is there a timestamp for when the guy shows off the mod stuff? Don't really want to waste time watching him play the game badly.

Not really, its an LP so just randomized bits.
I just kinda skipped through also.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
There's a video on the webpage linked that shows all the stuff. There's a lot going on in it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/an-update-on-our-subnautica-and-below-zero-plans/

quote:

Switch patch is released

What’s next

We’ll be rolling out Below Zero 2.0 first. This update will include performance optimization, as well as bug fixes that should address crashes and everything mentioned above.

We are also working on adding an enhanced game mode that will allow you to set custom conditions for your game, such as creature aggressiveness, resource availability, and much more.

Our goal is then to roll out 2.0 for Subnautica, following the update for Below Zero. This update should include performance and feature updates that are a result of backporting some newer code from Below Zero.

We’re also switching the game to use TextMeshPro, a text rendering solution for Unity based on Signed Distance Field textures, and are planning to backport other UI-related improvements from Below Zero. As a result, we will achieve improved font clarity and will be able to backport UI scaling.

quote:

Part of the work on Subnautica 2.0 also includes porting certain base pieces that were popular in Below Zero, including the Control Room, Large Room, and Surface Hatches.

Woohoo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Very nice and well needed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wooooo! :toot: I'm completely entranced by No Man's Sky right now, but I'll definitely be doing another SN/BZ playthrough once these changes go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wanna do a replay with Reaper Assholishness set to 500%