Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arist posted:

Uh, there were plenty of moments (most of the big war arc, for example) that I wished there was a lot less of
The thing is that none of it was very long by most standards. Naruto's Ninja War and the 1000 year blood war just went on, and on, and on, and on, and on- and like 80% of it just sucked.

Black Clover does this with individual boss fights where there is basically like a half dozen things that seem like the climax of the fight, but it just *goes on*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

chiasaur11 posted:

Samurai 8 getting the marketing blitz isn't his fault, if memory serves. That was decided higher up in the chain. He was just a less experienced editor getting assigned to a pro because, hey, Kishimoto had made one of the biggest manga in the world, he should know how to handle the basics by now.

This, obviously, was not the wisest decision.

Trusting your mangaka too much is a mistake for an editor, but when you're the rookie and the guy saying that he has a great idea has sold hundreds of millions of manga, it's an easy mistake to make.

The issue with Samurai 8 is that the world building and exposition never stops. The entire manga felt like it was setting up the story, and never got the plot actually started. Coincidentally, Earth Child has somewhat similar issues. It feels like the story is constantly abandoning or rushing through potentially good plot ideas (and some lovely ones) so the author can arrive at the point in the story he wants to actually be at. From what I have heard about Red Hood it also took forever for the main plot to start.

For whatever reason, it seems like the editor likes twiddling around forever in the set-up part of the plot and never actually gets the main plot going.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think I could have ever predicted how this week’s Witch Watch was gonna play out from the first few pages…

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days: I like how the guy with the deer head is the most normal out of the group of weirdos. Also that he seems like genuinely good guy actually paying people and offering great benefits!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aliens Area:

Dororon
I think i figured out why its not great and just ok. It wastes a lot of panel space with nothing much.

Shugomaru
Ngl Ill miss the yugioh gags. Not much else.

Mashle:
Kind of late to introduce a jobber captain squad but ok

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 5, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The art is kinda rough.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Witch watch

Why did i stop reading this is hilarious

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Shinohara has powerful comedy skills. Usually

Antagonist-man from Super phone seems kinda culty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sakamoto is great

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm so hype for Jugemu

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

That is the convoluted part, school festivals in media are usually presented as open to the public. Setting up the whole festival to get canceled on a hair trigger is just ham-fisted writing to force more stakes into the conflict. The parts just don't quite fit together right once assembled, like to make it work they had to make whats her name the accomplice a genius hacker who could disable the security system.

There was a goal in the writing to reach the (very good) smile and wave page after overcoming a trial, but getting to that point just seemed sloppy and poorly planned.

Gentle is a criminal/wanted man/kind of a villain after two previous security breaches where villains ambushed the hero teens in training. If it continues to happen society's trust in the #1 best security hero training school really crumbles and now nobody feels safe sending their kids to hero school because who knows if serial killer Muscular, the Bone Atomizer, Colonel Killagain or Count Menace are going to just blow up a school bus or something?

I dunno, it made sense to me that it was the straw breaking the camel's back leading to a game over for the good guys at that point.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yozakura: I'm glad Crazy Dad has finally taken center stage because he's delightful. You can tell he's truly unhinged because he's an ice chewer.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Jose posted:

sakamoto is great

My favorite panel of the chapter

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Terper posted:

I'm so hype for Jugemu

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jose posted:

sakamoto is great

The best character in Sakamoto.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Could Alien Area not come up with a more interesting visual for its main characters first big attack than 'literally just Haki Luffy'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't tell if there's anything to aa besides all the derivative elements.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm not the only one seeing Senku from Dr. Stone in that detective in AA am I?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm not the only one seeing Senku from Dr. Stone in that detective in AA am I?

No the entire thing is basically slapped together generic brand things from other manga.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's rare for a manga to get as many breaks as jjk right?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

Generally. All of the big long runners are having some issues right now. Hori has been taking regular breaks, Tataba is off for 3 months, Oda takes his regular break, Gege seems to be having issues again after being off for a month.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can't tell if there's anything to aa besides all the derivative elements.
It's not you it's an incredibly boilerplate first chapter that ticks the 'struggling young man with dead parents and siblings to care for' 'mysterious power awarded by chance' and 'secret government organisation' boxes. Dunno where it will go from there but it's got it's work cut out for it.

Bold move to compete against JJK and Dandadan when another similar 'boy gets involved in secret world' just got the axe two weeks ago.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Once again enjoying Super Phone. Nagi will likely be confused when she goes to check her email.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jose posted:

In addition to what others said, probably also case of not trying to kill the golden goose

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why on earth is tokyo revengers so popular? it's awful!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Kind of crazy Demon Slayer is still up there despite ending over two years ago. I guess that shows the power of an excellent adaptation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Could Alien Area not come up with a more interesting visual for its main characters first big attack than 'literally just Haki Luffy'

What, you want his hand to fall off revealing the Psycho-gun like he's motherfucking Cobra? Go read a more interesting story for developments like that. Real talk though, it's not a bad first chapter just really, really generic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

It's not you it's an incredibly boilerplate first chapter that ticks the 'struggling young man with dead parents and siblings to care for' 'mysterious power awarded by chance' and 'secret government organisation' boxes. Dunno where it will go from there but it's got it's work cut out for it.

Bold move to compete against JJK and Dandadan when another similar 'boy gets involved in secret world' just got the axe two weeks ago.

Dandadan isn't direct competition, since it's Jump Plus, and thus not on the surveys. But yeah. Ayashimon and likely Doron getting canned in the same subgenre makes this newbie being so generic feel much riskier for its survival.

Also, the little sister getting a 300 dollar backpack really does make it feel like Our Hero is no good at budgeting. Reduces the sympathy factor a little.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a randoseru that should last several years (at least entirety of grade school) so you can definitely justify a cost like that long-term, though it's going to have a strong financial impact short term. they certainly get even more expensive, even if $300 seems more like mid-range price.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a huge racket.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Holy loving poo poo I am so hype for the next chapter, I love those cliched moments where a bigshot acknowledges a relatively unknown dark horse and everyone's like, "Wait, who the heck is this rookie?" God I am so excited about Akane-banashi, this is so friggin' good!!!!!

Aliens Area: First chapter was okay enough for me to keep readin' it for a bit longer, I think.

Elusive Samurai: Good chapter.

Mashle: Wow Mashle got gory today. Also still pretty hosed up that other species exist only to get beaten by the evil wizards, turned evil, and then genocided by the good guys.

Roboco: Fun chapter.

Sakamoto Days: I was wondering how the movie freak became an Order member given his temperament, turns out he just murdered his predecessor. Makes sense. Also laugh out loud at the job offer, complete with the promise of no overtime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

It's a backpack, not a tennis racket.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it occurs to me now that alien area is basically one of the manga roboco writes, but with adequate art.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that was an incredibly hype chapter of Akane-banashi.

For some mysterious reason Rakugo media are blessed to be excellent. Granted, my sample size is 2.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up on the last year's worth of World Trigger.

It's such a strange series sometimes. The characters are all playing a video game based off of themselves, lol. Entire chapters of characters just doing random commentary while gaming. I think we're at a third level of abstraction now: real fights -> rank battles -> video game battles

I still enjoy it, though!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I agree with everyone else about Aliens Area being very derivative so far. I laughed at the whole “oh no, there’s a strange power in my right hand I can’t fully control!” bit, because that struck me as what TvTropes calls a Dead Unicorn Trope; other series use it as a joke about chuunibyou, not a serious plot point. (OK, there was Parasyte, which Aliens Area seemed to be vaguely visually referencing in one panel.) And then the strange power turns out to be basically the Gum Gum Fruit.

Having said that, there have been good series with worse first chapters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it's a randoseru that should last several years (at least entirety of grade school) so you can definitely justify a cost like that long-term, though it's going to have a strong financial impact short term. they certainly get even more expensive, even if $300 seems more like mid-range price.

Japan's low inflation and my memories of my backpack spending in my school days makes 300 USD feel pretty pricey even for the "entirety of grade school" thing, but as a price on its own, it just makes me go "Huh. Japanese kids get the expensive backpacks". But in the context of the protagonist barely scraping by, it's badly done. We don't get it shown as something that makes the little sister's eyes light up before the protagonist sees that it's $$$, making it a major sacrifice, or something the protagonist wants that he can't get because he's poor. Instead, it has the protagonist able to drop a hefty chunk of change out of the blue, which undercuts the whole sympathetic struggling in poverty angle they're going for.

I know that Chainsaw Man is more extreme than they'd want, but Denji feels poor in a way we don't get here. A couple of the pages spent on fights being moved to, I dunno, the protagonist not being able to replace a ratty jacket because he has to get his kid sister the backpack she wants would help ground him and increase reader sympathy at the jump.

Another unforced error is the last panel. The second to last panel is a punchline, so adding another panel of the protagonist going "Metal... Gear?" just dilutes the impact.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I'm catching up on the last year's worth of World Trigger.

It's such a strange series sometimes. The characters are all playing a video game based off of themselves, lol. Entire chapters of characters just doing random commentary while gaming. I think we're at a third level of abstraction now: real fights -> rank battles -> video game battles

I still enjoy it, though!

I get the feeling this arc will be very cool, in about a year or two after its fully published and you can read it in one sitting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Important news:

They announced the Uron Mirage anime.

It seems the fans and the studio did kinda keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The new red backpack is apparently a big deal culturally and is one of those big milestones for kids growing up and you'd be marked as a poor/stupid person otherwise so it's 100% meant to show he's a good brother and not a bad budgeter.