Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont know where pr if they're streaming but I'd recommend

Cache'
With a Friend Like Harry
The Gift
Cop Car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also yes RRR was an incredibly fun spectacle. Anime as gently caress, sometimes felt like videogame cinemas. Like, Metal Gear Lagaan. I do feel like it lagged a bit after a while, it's long as gently caress and could use some editing but hey it keeps you entertained pretty regularly. The loving dance-off, the loving...everything!!! It's hard not to love a movie where this many white guys die in funny ways, even if it is propagandistic as hell (that final song lmao).
I got a big kick out of the evil governor, who is straight up an anime villain, and also thought filling EVERY ROOM in his castle with TNT was a GREAT IDEA.

the funniest part is the montage sequence where a song explains the concept of "dramatic stakes" like the people in the audience have no idea what a story is

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The trouble with harry

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Rewatched green room for the first time in a few years last night and goddamn that movie is so good. I think I have rewatched it like 3-4 times now and it always holds up.

What are some other good horror/not horror movies? ie. Green Room, The Hunt (the Mads Mikkelson movie not the dumb slasher from last year). Like, movies that aren't technically horror but are tense thrillers or dramas with some horrific scenario.

The Gift (2015) is a very mean stalker thriller with Joel Edgerton, Rebecca Hall, and Jason Bateman.

Lots of Haneke movies fit the bill too, though they're typically slower paced. The Piano Teacher and The White Ribbon are on the slower side, Benny's Video is more urgent. Funny Games (both versions) are straight up horror movies.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 3, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.avclub.com/raised-by-wolves-canceled-at-hbo-max-1849016394

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Booooo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pospysyl posted:

The Gift (2015) is a very mean stalker thriller with Joel Edgerton, Rebecca Hall, and Jason Bateman.

ohhhhh yeah that movie owns

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

God dammit! I was just about to resub to watch S2! Should I not bother, or is it worth watching even if it will never be resolved? (Not that resolution is what I’m looking for from that show)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Season 2 was fun. I liked it a lot. It's even more ridiculous than season 1. They ended that poo poo with so much goddamn confidence like they were going to get another season though. I knew they were playing with fire when they made no attempt to wrap the story up.

Bunch of good recs guys. I've got some stuff to check out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

pospysyl posted:

I'm on record as a massive Rebecca Hall fan and yeah that movie rules.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the gift is really good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm on record as a massive Rebecca Hall fan and yeah that movie rules.

Have you seen the Night House? It's only an ok thriller but I thought she was good in it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Brocktoon posted:

God dammit! I was just about to resub to watch S2! Should I not bother, or is it worth watching even if it will never be resolved? (Not that resolution is what I’m looking for from that show)

If you like how bonkers season 1 was, then you'll like how bonkers season 2 is.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Brocktoon posted:

For better or worse, if you’ve avoided spoilers then nearly episode will introduce something new and completely insane

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Raised By Wolves season 2 is great if you liked season 1 but thought it was a little too grounded and boring.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RCarr posted:

Django and the Hateful Eight are both great.

Equating those movies is worse than any one of your yankee takes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

veni veni veni posted:

Have you seen the Night House? It's only an ok thriller but I thought she was good in it.

I actually really liked it but I saw it in a theater and I think that helped a lot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Parade's End is a British miniseries from 10 years ago, based on some books, set during WWI. If it was half as good as it thinks it is it would be twice as good as it actually is. But it's still pretty alright!

It would be perfect for a hungover afternoon.

There's some very talented people but Rebecca Hall is absolutely the best part of the whole thing.

It's streaming on HBO Max!

Oh also Bendytoots is in it, he's obviously the main character.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Rewatched green room for the first time in a few years last night and goddamn that movie is so good. I think I have rewatched it like 3-4 times now and it always holds up.

What are some other good horror/not horror movies? ie. Green Room, The Hunt (the Mads Mikkelson movie not the dumb slasher from last year). Like, movies that aren't technically horror but are tense thrillers or dramas with some horrific scenario.

Sorcerer, especially the back half is a very intense viewing experience

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

On the off chance you haven't seen it, You're Next is good.

If you liked The Empty Man you'd probably like Kill List. It's kind of the other way around, a dark hitman story that drifts into horror.

And maybe A Dark Song. Two people locked in a house trying to do a really long ritual. A lot of tense uncertainty and then it kicks off nicely.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Truth Seekers on Prime is an accurate depiction of what it's like to be a cable guy and hunt ghosts at the same time. It's the rare horror/comedy that's actually funny and actually scary(ish), plus it has Malcom McDowell and grown up cinematography to boot. I was hooked when they referenced Toynbee, but there's also numbers stations, witchcraft, and cosplay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

On the off chance you haven't seen it, You're Next is good.

If you liked The Empty Man you'd probably like Kill List. It's kind of the other way around, a dark hitman story that drifts into horror.

And maybe A Dark Song. Two people locked in a house trying to do a really long ritual. A lot of tense uncertainty and then it kicks off nicely.

I’ve been meaning to watch kill list for forever. I like his other movies a lot.

A Dark Song is super underrated. Great movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Brocktoon posted:

Season 2 was insane and better than season 1 imo. Definitely worth the watch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

Truth Seekers on Prime is an accurate depiction of what it's like to be a cable guy and hunt ghosts at the same time. It's the rare horror/comedy that's actually funny and actually scary(ish), plus it has Malcom McDowell and grown up cinematography to boot. I was hooked when they referenced Toynbee, but there's also numbers stations, witchcraft, and cosplay.

oh yeah, i forgot about that! very good

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Equating those movies is worse than any one of your yankee takes.

What?

Also I don’t know if I’ve ever made any Yankee takes. I have the ability to not type every thought I have.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

RCarr posted:

What?

Also I don’t know if I’ve ever made any Yankee takes. I have the ability to not type every thought I have.

Have you ever felt an overwhelming urge to invade Pennsylvania??

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RCarr posted:

What?

Fair enough. H8ful 8 was kind of a boring slog and Django was one of the funnest movies ever.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Fair enough. H8ful 8 was kind of a boring slog and Django was one of the funnest movies ever.

Same here. Django is one of my favourite Tarantino movies (tied with KB vol. 1) just because it's so absolutely gleeful and has so much style. Hateful Eight felt downright bland by comparison.

Also, finally got around to giving Goliath on prime a try. First season was extremely good, but unfortunately the second felt like a significant step down. Still decent, but it felt kind of scattershot and much less focused. Not sure if I'm gonna keep going with season 3.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

thatfuturekid posted:

Sorcerer, especially the back half is a very intense viewing experience
The bridge scene is so, so good. Absolute white-knuckle stuff, and finding out how insane it was to shoot makes it even more remarkable; the cast look like they were in genuine danger because... they were.

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Definitely seconded.

Also recommend The Wolf House. May still be on Shudder? It was also once on the Criterion Channel. But get it wherever you can, it's just that good. Not a conventional horror movie but definitely the most anxiety ridden horror show ive ever seen. Really just an incredible and disturbing film and artistic effort of the sort of level i havent seen in...maybe ages, shades of Jan Svankmeyer but it really goes beyond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoYazbA1Ic
I also urge complete sobriety. Getting high would be a bad bad idea.

+1
Both The Wolf House and Riders of Justice (like most Mads' Danish movies) are incredible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Mythic Quest, but tbh this show is borderline awful. I guess it’s entertaining enough that I’ve watched a season and a half but it’s just super unfunny and corny.

I really want to like it because theres a bunch of people involved that I enjoy but tbh I have no idea why this show is so highly regarded.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Mythic Quest, but tbh this show is borderline awful. I guess it’s entertaining enough that I’ve watched a season and a half but it’s just super unfunny and corny.

I really want to like it because theres a bunch of people involved that I enjoy but tbh I have no idea why this show is so highly regarded.

No, you're right. I watched both seasons, I don't think I ever laughed at any of the jokes. The thing is, the only good episodes were the dramatic flashback episodes.

It is fun though that famous video game voice actor Ashly Burch is in the main cast. She's fantastic.

Apple TV has a pretty hit and miss (mostly miss) track record. For All Mankind is fantastic though, both seasons.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Devastated to discover Floor Is Lava season 2 differs from season 1 greatly in that eliminated contestants now reappear onscreen to celebrate if the rest of their team qualifies, instead of them just never being even mentioned onscreen/being implied dead after sinking into the lava :rip:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yea mythic quest is garbo. I really tried to like it but it sucks

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Got excited when stranger things season four spent two episodes moving at a good clip to have it poo poo the bed and just turn on the emergency break and pad the gently caress out of the rest.
It's the same poo poo as the last seasons but slower
It has very jarring edits for a action sequence they try and make look like one take but it for the lack of a better term looks like it has "frame drops" when it zooms in on some cg elements.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Mythic Quest is not great but not terrible either. I got through the first season but haven't cared enough to watch the second.

I will say, however, they they did the best "Covid quarantine" episode of any show that did those

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MQ flashback episodes are definitely the strongest episodes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I regret to inform you I've seen the new season of The Floor is Lava

They make the terrible choice to let the people who fell into the lava come back and spectate, instead of never showing them again and implying they died

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

They make the terrible choice to let the people who fell into the lava come back and spectate, instead of never showing them again and implying they died

show ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

The people who fall into the "lava" don't really die from that, they're just executed as a group after the entire season ends.