Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Found what I am assuming is a nail in my rear wheel, what are my options? The wheel is nearly new and I have half a mind to just leave it, but this is on a bike and I like my safety so I am thinking that's a terrible idea. Pull & plug? Or is a replacement the only real option?

You certainly can't repair a hole in a wheel with a plug, you'd need to weld it up or replace it entirely!

If you have a hole in your tyre then yeah they are totally fixable provided it isn't a huge hole or in the sidewall or something. Idk what you mean by 'leave it' cause like, the air needs to stay inside the tire for you to have a rideable bike so I guess you can leave it and take the car or bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of absolutely nothing, why does a single cylinder BMW G650 have twin exhaust cans?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

some kinda jackal posted:

Apropos of absolutely nothing, why does a single cylinder BMW G650 have twin exhaust cans?

Same with some 450 dirt bikes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Same question there then, I guess. Seems weird to me but maybe there’s something I just don’t understand about how exhaust works.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's literally just styling + bmw's customers don't like anything so vulgar as being able to actually hear the hydrocarbons being burnt like some kind of peasant grubbing about in a furnace

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I've been noticing a bit of brake drag lately, so I got to work replacing the seals a few days ago.

They were a MESS. Only managed to get one piston removed from the right hand side caliper, but the seals were spongy and sort of...I dunno, just nasty.

Going to try to futz with my pancake air compressor to try and get the remaining three pistons removed and service them. Just kept banging my dick in the door the other day, ran out of brake fluid, stung in my armpit, just nothing seemed to want to come together.

Any tips on removing pistons if the air doesn't work? I'd like to clean and reuse them, so cranking on them with pliers is a last resort.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 'right' way is to not let any of the pistons escape until you've gotten them all moved out as far as possible using compressed air (or a grease gun if they're well and truly stuck).

You have sprinted ahead and punched yourself in the balls by taking one out completely and are now forced to resort to uglier means.

This is the least damaging first step available to you. If that doesn't work, there are no further secrets afaik, you just have to grab them out somehow and that may involve loving them up.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So using a c clamp to hold one piston in and either use air or pumping the brakes is a bad idea?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

So using a c clamp to hold one piston in and either use air or pumping the brakes is a bad idea?

That sounds like it'll work great if you've got a piston in every hole, from what I could tell you had already taken one out which makes it impossible to hold the pressure in.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Yeah, that's what happened, one sort of plopped out and along with it lots of brake fluid, so I removed it all the way, cleaned it and the bore, replaced and lubed the piston, and pressed it back in using a c clamp. By then though, I was running out of brake fluid and couldn't build up enough pressure to knock the second one loose.

So yeah. Going to either try my compressor or use a c clamp to hold one piston in while I flick away at my brake handle tomorrow. Good to know I won't cause some sort of explosion or who knows tomorrow!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ooook yeah you really don't want to be just putting them in one by one. Like the goal is to take the caliper apart, clean the poo poo out of everything and put the whole thing together with new seals in one go. I have no idea what happens if you try to swap them out in situ like you seem to be doing? Is this still attached to the bike for some reason??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It's literally just styling + bmw's customers don't like anything so vulgar as being able to actually hear the hydrocarbons being burnt like some kind of peasant grubbing about in a furnace

so is it literally just a 1->2 Y split with the farts now with twice the opportunity to escape?

Is there an opportunity for a quad-exhaust on my DRZ is what I'm asking here

It can go under the kickstarter

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Idk what you mean by 'leave it' cause like, the air needs to stay inside the tire for you to have a rideable bike so I guess you can leave it and take the car or bus.
I had a small piece of metal embedded in my rear tire for the better part of a year and it still held air, so I assume it just got stuck in the tread and didn't actually puncture it. I didn't remove it because I didn't want to risk causing an actual puncture.

Then I rode a gravel road a week ago and the next morning the tire was completely flat and I noticed the piece of metal had been pushed slightly deeper. It's a very slow leak though.

My point is don't leave it in even if it holds air, you'll regret it later.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slavvy posted:

You certainly can't repair a hole in a wheel with a plug, you'd need to weld it up or replace it entirely!

If you have a hole in your tyre then yeah they are totally fixable provided it isn't a huge hole or in the sidewall or something. Idk what you mean by 'leave it' cause like, the air needs to stay inside the tire for you to have a rideable bike so I guess you can leave it and take the car or bus.

Hey smartass, the metal part is the rim, tyre and rim together form the wheel ;)

By leave it I mean just leaving the nail in there, as of right now it isn't actually losing air. Hell, nobody knows if it even penetrates the whole tyre.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gileadexile posted:

So yeah. Going to either try my compressor or use a c clamp to hold one piston in while I flick away at my brake handle tomorrow. Good to know I won't cause some sort of explosion or who knows tomorrow!

Word of warning, start at a low psi on your compressor. The first time I removed stuck brakes I fired 90psi into the caliper, the pistons shot out like bullets and landed on my garage floor, scratching and ruining them anyway

:owned:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Word of warning, start at a low psi on your compressor. The first time I removed stuck brakes I fired 90psi into the caliper, the pistons shot out like bullets and landed on my garage floor, scratching and ruining them anyway

:owned:

It will also turn brake fluid into a fine mist, best to do it outside and wear gloves and eye protection brake fluid is bad stuff on your skin and in your eyeballs. Take a piece of 1/4" plywood and put it in between the pistons and the outside of the caliper (as if it were a brake pad) to catch the pistons in case they come flying out. The key is working each piston so they are both right on the edge so you can easily wiggle them out the rest of the way by hand.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

some kinda jackal posted:

One of them is fake. I think it might act as an extra expansion chamber which makes the system quieter without needing a super enormous can on one side of the bike.

SEKCobra posted:

Hey smartass, the metal part is the rim, tyre and rim together form the wheel ;)
Yeah no, the rim would be the outer part of a multi piece spoked wheel, where the inner part is the hub. Rim is kind of a meaningless word on a cast wheel. The tyre is the tire.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 6, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I recently discovered you can get replacement exhaust cans where one is fake, and it opens up for you to stash money/meth/circus peanuts in.

opengl fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 6, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

One of them is fake. I think it might act as an extra expansion chamber which makes the system quieter without needing a super enormous can on one side of the bike.

Yeah no, the rim would be the outer part of a multi piece spoked wheel, where the inner part is the hub. Rim is kind of a meaningless word on a cast wheel. The tyre is the tire.

The tyre is still part of the wheel and the hub is not the wheel on it's own. Do we need a Venn diagram?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Sure, but why do this on say a CR450X or whatever, where weight is at a premium and also a selling point?

Edit: the googled answer is that some single cylinder dirt engines have two separate exhaust ports. One can per set

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

The tyre is still part of the wheel and the hub is not the wheel on it's own. Do we need a Venn diagram?

There may be some translation/locale-based usage differences here, but in relation to motor vehicles I have never once heard someone refer to a wheel inclusive of the tire - it has always strictly referred to the assembly (rim+spokes+hub, single piece, etc.) upon which the tire is mounted.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
the wheels on the bus go round and round

round and round

round and round

but they never touch the ground

cause the tyres are in the waaaaaaay

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
"wheel" is not a technical term and this argument is daft (but also it absolutely refers to the entire rim/tyre assembly what are you on)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Yeah maybe this is a local thing, I took. Slavvy's reply as a joke and just wanted to add onto it, considering that he was pointing out a technicality which technically was still true.

Regardless, the tyre is leaking air now and the thing that concerns me the most is that I couldn't tell/feel while the pressure was apparently below ~half a bar while riding to the gas station. (Rating is 2.8 bar)
I'm going to look for a tyre repair kit until I hear back from my dealer on what they can do for me. Considering Continental was completely sold out recently, I am worried they'll want me to buy an entire new set.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

"wheel" is not a technical term and this argument is daft (but also it absolutely refers to the entire rim/tyre assembly what are you on)

sigh

"I've found a nail in my rear tire, can it be plugged" = yes, depending on where on the tire the puncture is located

vs

"I've found a nail in my rear wheel, can it be plugged" = no (and possibly how in the gently caress did you punch a nail through cast aluminum)

"I'm ordering some new BST carbon wheels for my Panigale, what tires should I mount on them"

vs

"I'm ordering some new BST carbon wheels for my Panigale, well not entirely carbon because the wheel is inclusive of the tire" WTF

I've heard wheels referred to as rims (this may be a US thing); I have never heard a wheel + tire referred to solely as a wheel when someone is talking about a loving nail puncture, buying replacements (always wheels + tires), or another mechanically related question. Again, it's likely a translation hangup or different usage based on locale.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

This is approaching dangerous levels of pedantry lol, getting close to gun psychos who smugly slide in whenever someone mentions bullets "ackshually bullets by themselves don't do anything you need powder, primer, and shell casing heh" or computer dweebs who crawl out of the woodwork when someone says they have a problem with their cable modem "um axually are you talking about the network bridge to your ISP??"

Unless they managed to run over a railroad spike and puncture through the whole rear end thing I think you can make a good inference to what's being talked about through context lol

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"There's a cat in my house"

"Well, just let it out?"

"No, you see it's IN my HOUSE. Molecularly embedded in the structure that makes my house a house, not merely occupying the empty space which said structure envelops."

"Sigh, can you just please fix the puncture?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This is approaching dangerous levels of pedantry lol, getting close to gun psychos who smugly slide in whenever someone mentions bullets "ackshually bullets by themselves don't do anything you need powder, primer, and shell casing heh" or computer dweebs who crawl out of the woodwork when someone says they have a problem with their cable modem "um axually are you talking about the network bridge to your ISP??"

Unless they managed to run over a railroad spike and puncture through the whole rear end thing I think you can make a good inference to what's being talked about through context lol

Those dorks, those nerds, pretending like words mean things, acting like technical terms have precise meanings in a professional field and poo poo, fuckin losers

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This sprocket is being a messy bitch that lives for drama. I'd estimate I'm putting 150+/lbs of pressure on with a breaker bar and extension and it will not budge. Unless someone screams STOP NO DON'T I am going to clean up that retainer piece and put the tackiest of tack welds on either side of it and call it good. It wouldn't be any worse off than before.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Slavvy posted:

Those dorks, those nerds, pretending like words mean things, acting like technical terms have precise meanings in a professional field and poo poo, fuckin losers
:awesome:

e: so I'm not just entirely shitposting front sprockets look like a nightmare to get off in general. I was looking at the process for doing it on a newish N400 and I don't know how even on one that's not old and rusted out you can do it without an impact wrench or other serious hardware, anyone ever managed to get one off with just hand tools?

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 6, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You lock up the back wheel and crank on it with a big bar, pretty easy. If you have gorson's setup it's just a pair of small bolts and it slides right off. Idk why that won't come off, can only assume the shaft is slightly tweaked or something. I would try cutting it off rather than mounting it even more permanently.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

This sprocket is being a messy bitch that lives for drama. I'd estimate I'm putting 150+/lbs of pressure on with a breaker bar and extension and it will not budge. Unless someone screams STOP NO DON'T I am going to clean up that retainer piece and put the tackiest of tack welds on either side of it and call it good. It wouldn't be any worse off than before.

is taking it off in chunks via an angle grinder not an option? at some point I'd think you have to get that bastard out of there and tack welding it now will just make a future version of you pissed for not dealing with it

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I spent way more time turning my rear wheel nut with a cheater bar yesterday than I would like to admit. I was confused as to why the adjustment was still so hard to turn after at least 5 full rotations, only later did I realize that you need to hold the other side :downs:. In my defense, I never needed to do that before. I think it's because the shop just ugga duggad it on instead of using a torque wrench. Or maybe it was just seized. Either way I shamefully got it open with a satisfying click once I put a wrench on the bolt.
Still, that's a stupid loving mistake to make.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

is taking it off in chunks via an angle grinder not an option? at some point I'd think you have to get that bastard out of there and tack welding it now will just make a future version of you pissed for not dealing with it

It is, but that is delicate surgery in a critical area.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

It is, but that is delicate surgery in a critical area.

Considering how nice and sparkling the rest of the bike is, welding the sprocket seems like taking a massive poo poo on it for the sake of an hour's inconvenience.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Considering how nice and sparkling the rest of the bike is, welding the sprocket seems like taking a massive poo poo on it for the sake of an hour's inconvenience.

It's welding the retainer bit to the sprocket, the shaft remains in its untouched, but welded-via-rust state. Virtually the same thing as spinning those bolt remnants out and using new bolts and retainer. It just leaves the hard work for later (if this bike even ever gets ridden that many miles).

e: welds at the circles to stop the retainer from spinning. The retainer locks the sprocket on the shaft (as if this one needs it heh).

Gorson fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 6, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

:sickos:

I just needed a stronger tool. The claw I was using was borrowed from a neighbors and I was pretty sure if I pushed it any farther I'd break it. Autozone had a much beefier unit in their tool rental and that did the job. I expected it to come off with a crack and a SCREEE but it did not it came off with half a dozen glorious cracks. The splines look good I just need to clean them up a bit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Noooooooiiiiice

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah brute force saves the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
As I always say at work, I rely on a combination of brute force and cunning.