Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Devils Affricate posted:

Tank controls weren't copied from one game to another because people liked that system. They were used because that was the best/only thing developers could come up with at the time. Making the player character move according to the current location of a moving camera is something that feels very intuitive to the player but is actually very complicated to implement.

okay but RE1 did in fact literally copy AITD in more than just that one way lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

precision posted:

okay but RE1 did in fact literally copy AITD in more than just that one way lmao

Ok great, thanks for the info

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao!!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Why hasn't an re1 remake happened?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Not sure if this is a joke question

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Tank controls weren't copied from one game to another because people liked that system. They were used because that was the best/only thing developers could come up with at the time. Making the player character move according to the current location of a moving camera is something that feels very intuitive to the player but is actually very complicated to implement.

Resident Evil 1 had tank controls because they were literally just copying Alone in the Dark and adding more combat to it, I thought everyone already knew this

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

This is totally wrong though. Doom in 1993 had keybinds to strafe left and right relative to the camera's current facing. But they weren't often used. The default control scheme had the arrow keys as tank controls and alt+left/right (or comma/period) as the strafe buttons, with the understanding that players would probably only use them occasionally.

Multitasking between moving and aiming was just not a skill most gamers had at the time since the FPS genre was so new, so trying to turn and strafe at the same time just felt weird and awkward.

I don't know when techniques like circle-strafing first came in vogue.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 6, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You didn't know re borrowed from aitd?

Haha oh my, how gauche.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This is totally wrong though. Doom in 1993 had keybinds to strafe left and right relative to the camera's current facing. But they weren't often used. The default control scheme had the arrow keys as tank controls and alt+left/right as the strafe buttons, with the understanding that players would probably only use them occasionally.

Doom was an FPS. In a first person perspective, the camera location and the character location are one and the same, so this is a moot point. Tank controls are mainly defined by what pressing the "forward" button entails. If pressing forward/backward makes the player character walk forward or backpedal from their own perspective, that's tank mode. If pressing forward/backward makes the player character move away/toward the camera, that's the intuitive modern system popularized by Mario 64. The presence of the ability to strafe has no bearing on which control scheme a game uses. Hell, I'm pretty sure you couldn't strafe in Mario 64.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RE1 copying AITD and tank controls being one of the main ways developers hosed around with 3d environments at the time can both be true :thunk:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Good soup! posted:

RE1 copying AITD and tank controls being one of the main ways developers hosed around with 3d environments at the time can both be true :thunk:

I don't think anyone ITT is making the claim that RE didn't borrow/copy anything from AITD. Pretty sure one of the original devs of RE stated that AITD was a source of inspiration.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

Doom was an FPS. In a first person perspective, the camera location and the character location are one and the same, so this is a moot point. Tank controls are mainly defined by what pressing the "forward" button entails. If pressing forward/backward makes the player character walk forward or backpedal from their own perspective, that's tank mode. If pressing forward/backward makes the player character move away/toward the camera, that's the intuitive modern system popularized by Mario 64. The presence of the ability to strafe has no bearing on which control scheme a game uses. Hell, I'm pretty sure you couldn't strafe in Mario 64.

OK but "figure out which direction the camera is pointing and move in that direction (or perpendicular to it)" isn't any more difficult mathematically in a third-person game vs a first-person game. I don't see what the technological barriers would be that make it more complicated to implement in non-FPSes.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

OK but "figure out which direction the camera is pointing and move in that direction (or perpendicular to it)" isn't any more difficult mathematically in a third-person game vs a first-person game. I don't see what the technological barriers would be that make it more complicated to implement in non-FPSes.

It was never really a technological barrier (in the sense that the technology at the time couldn't handle it) as it was a more complicated system that game developers took a while to formulate and figure out. Basically you're taking two distinct locational perspectives (the player character and the player camera) and melding them together in a seamless control scheme. Previous efforts had only considered the game character's perspective (which is why FPS games got a natural free pass on this issue, since that's where the camera was already) while leaving the player's view as something that just provides a visual output of what's going on. Giving the player's locational view a direct influence over how the character is controlled was a massive "aha" moment in gaming that pretty much everyone started adopting after it had been introduced.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 6, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Devils Affricate posted:

Ok great, thanks for the info

do u need a hug my friend

come here and give us a hug

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm still waiting for that Sweet Home reference

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

precision posted:

do u need a hug my friend

come here and give us a hug

shut up nerd

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

can I have a hug too?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
everyone can have hugs :3:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

:peanut:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

they did it's on gamecube

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
whats a dolphin

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
pc is best because you can stair skate and use the door skip mod. that's like 35 minutes off your run combined, no bullshit

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The difficulty is not really in the character, it's in the camera. There's a lot of work involved in making the camera move in a way that feels good. Then there's clipping and whatnot. FPS camera is a piece of piss really.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, see also early FPSes. 'Mouselook? Why would you want that on all the time?'

Though I got Doom on Switch and it actually works shockingly well as a twinstick shooter. I mean, it basically is one in disguise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I recall reading an article about HL1(so circa 1998) that mentioned circle-strafing, so probably Quake/Quake 2 era.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I remember my friends and I using circle strafing in Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer, but less as a real strat and more a combination of panic and the steroids power up making you run way too fast to be able to aim properly.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

all pc gamers wanna do is circlestrafe monsters in keycard mazes for the rest of their lives, playing doom wads until their last dying breath, demanding every game is just doom with better graphics

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
And eat hot chip

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

all pc gamers wanna do is circlestrafe monsters in keycard mazes for the rest of their lives, playing doom wads until their last dying breath, demanding every game is just doom with better graphics

gently caress yeah I'm rad as hell all the time, you are correct :dukedoge:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think RPATDO_LAMD was talking about circle strafing as a built-in movement/targeting feature in certain 3rd person games like Zelda OoT, Megaman Legends, or Dark Souls, not the act of manually strafing while maintaining a target in first person shooters.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

you had me until the "better graphics" part

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Justin Godscock posted:

Resident Evil 1 was made back when developers were trying to figure 3D games out and were having so many issues with camera and controls (if you read old gaming magazines from the era these are the two biggest things critics jumped on in every review). They eventually figured it out and unless you grew up in that era and appreciate history and all that it's hilariously unplayable to the current generation. You really do need a remake of those games in that sense because it's a product of it's time that needs to be updated to get current gamers into the series (as the argument goes because post-RE4 games continue the story from those games). Tomb Raider had the same issue where the first game is seriously a relic from another time. Core Design never got the memo to loving UPDATE the series and drove it into the ground before millennium arrived. Crystal Dynamics eventually updated the series for the current day and now it's a series that's chugging along (despite Square-Enix incompetence with their North American developers).

Here's my unpopular opinion: REmake 3 isn't bad at all despite being slapped together in a hurry to pop a sales number. It's competently made but very safely developed because it takes no real risks nor does anything new from REmake 2. But, it's a fun time.
I went through the classic resident evils semi recently, and I think their very specific implementation of tank controls, fixed camera angels on quasi 2d planes, actually holds up surprisingly well even if it was only a stopgap in devs figuring out 3d. They're like cute, little, isometric abstractions of modern action games with the minutia of aiming being taken care of for you and your focus being placed on tactics and guiding your character around. Movement feels reasonably responsive but just unwieldy enough that it's a mechanic in itself instead of something perfunctory you execute perfectly. I mean obviously no company would or should ever build a major release around them again, but I think they have a place in an indie horror game.

edit: It is kind of too bad that the potential for artistic expression given by dynamic camera angles is limited by such an infamously crappy control scheme.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 6, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want a real new resident evil game not some 3rd person action game. the tank controls and fixed camera angles are what makes it a horror game. the controls are part of the atmosphere

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I want a real new resident evil game not some 3rd person action game. the tank controls and fixed camera angles are what makes it a horror game. the controls are part of the atmosphere

Agreed, which is why it should be 1st person.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Tank controls in resident evil are goofy because people are actually really good at turning around at quite a speed

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Resident Evils should have more large monster mommies with huge bazongas in tight dresses telling me what to do imo

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Resident Evil 1 was made back when developers were trying to figure 3D games out and were having so many issues with camera and controls (if you read old gaming magazines from the era these are the two biggest things critics jumped on in every review). They eventually figured it out and unless you grew up in that era and appreciate history and all that it's hilariously unplayable to the current generation. You really do need a remake of those games in that sense because it's a product of it's time that needs to be updated to get current gamers into the series (as the argument goes because post-RE4 games continue the story from those games). Tomb Raider had the same issue where the first game is seriously a relic from another time. Core Design never got the memo to loving UPDATE the series and drove it into the ground before millennium arrived. Crystal Dynamics eventually updated the series for the current day and now it's a series that's chugging along (despite Square-Enix incompetence with their North American developers).

Yeah, trying a classic RE for the first time feels like the character’s head is screwed on backwards. RE4 and Tomb Raider feel much better despite still using tank controls just because the camera is always behind you.

I do want a TR game with more realistic climbing and less shooting like the classic games. Proper momentum when jumping and not allowing you to swivel 180 degrees in mid-air like the recent games. Make climbing a puzzle and not just following the glowing handholds.

I wouldn’t blame Core Design for how samey they felt. They were desperate to get out of the yearly schedule Eidos were forcing on them so they could develop better tools and refine the gameplay. That strict schedule caused a lot of burnout and meant the first PS2 TR game was released completely unfinished.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

What does realistic climbing involve? Slower and more annoying?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
In what world does Tomb Raider for the PS1 control better than Resident Evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

What does realistic climbing involve? Slower and more annoying?

Realistic always means slower and more annoying
except for graphics, there it means more expensive and uglier