Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Rahonavis posted:

I am almost certain that this is “Katy and the Caterpillar Kids”.

The original “Katy Caterpillar” was a movie about a little caterpillar who’s anxious about turning into a “flying flower”. Then a wise old somebody-or-other (might have been the tree she lived in) gives Katy a book about butterflies. She reads it over and over and learns what to expect and gets excited. She weaves her cocoon, turns into a beautiful butterfly, and it’s all very cute.

So naturally the sequel is about an alien invasion. :psyduck:

E: It’s on YouTube! Skip to the 28 minute mark for an awesome hawk singing Almost-But-Not-Quite “Rebel Yell”. :goshawk:

You know, I feel like I have seen that one so, while nothing matched up perfectly with the imagery in my memory, there's a solid chance the memory is just heavily distorted, or that this film got tangled up with another in my head (my memory depicts more of a full on, body-snatchers, "they look just like us" deal which, honestly, was way more interesting; I probably dreamed it, I had a lot of vivid dreams as a little kid). Gonna bet this is the source of the jumbled memories, though, it fits the broad strokes too well not to be.

poo poo, three for three when I wasn't sure I'd get one with the scant information I had to go on and the obscurity of the films involved. I am deeply impressed. Guess I know where to turn next time I become preoccupied with ancient half-remembrances and Google doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I have a weird memory of just the end of this movie - the president (?) has been replaced by a clone or something and to identify him his best friend / bodyguard asks him a question about a fishing trip they once took and how many fish they caught that day. The president answers by giving the story they told everyone, which was a lie. And then the hero shoots him and walks off into the sunset.

You'd think this would be easily Google-able but I just can't find it.

E: president is of the US; movie is probably 80s / 90s.

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 14, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hollandia posted:

I have a weird memory of just the end of this movie - the president (?) has been replaced by a clone or something and to identify him his best friend / bodyguard asks him a question about a fishing trip they once took and how many fish they caught that day. The president answers by giving the story they told everyone, which was a lie. And then the hero shoots him and walks off into the sunset.

I was going to say Dave until the shooting part.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hollandia posted:

Freejack has the idea of asking a question to find out if its the original or not, but it wasnt a fishing trip and the guy asking wasnt the hero. It was a secret number.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is the President American, or another country?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Could browse through TV Tropes Spot the Imposter section to see if anything rings a bell.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
There's a doppelganger president in GI Joe Retaliation and, while the movie is pretty forgettable, they definitely would have have been a candidate to do the "shoot the president and walk away from the explosion thing".

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I remember watching a movie on Sci Fi channel as a lad about a priest with some kind of knife-hand and some woman and a couple American Indians teaming up to fight the Wendigo (who's in league with Satan or is Satan or something)? Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I remember watching a movie on Sci Fi channel as a lad about a priest with some kind of knife-hand and some woman and a couple American Indians teaming up to fight the Wendigo (who's in league with Satan or is Satan or something)? Does this ring a bell to anyone?

I'm thinking The Minion with Dolph Lundgren. He's got a spiked gauntlet, and while I don't think it's actually a wendigo, I think the native characters make reference to the evil force as such, though it's been a long time since I've seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minion

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Detective Thompson posted:

I'm thinking The Minion with Dolph Lundgren. He's got a spiked gauntlet, and while I don't think it's actually a wendigo, I think the native characters make reference to the evil force as such, though it's been a long time since I've seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minion

Hell yeah this is it!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's an absolute dogshit movie I saw a while back, clearly trying to be a ripoff of Fargo with a dash of Tarantino. It's set up north somewhere, in the winter. An insurance salesman type guy somehow gets into a plot to rip off an old man for a violin that turns out to be worth a ton of money. The big twist at the end is that it was somehow a plot to rip off the insurance guy, and like everyone was in on it. The old guy, the violin appraiser, all of the insurance guy's friends and colleagues, even nameless background extras were in on this plot. And the plot required the insurance guy to make a ton of very specific and unlikely choices all along the way. Like, he had to turn down the violin buyer's first offer, if he took it then the whole plan would've been hosed. And if at any point he had decided to back out of the scheme, like say after people started appearing to die, then the plan would've been hosed. Just dogshit movie. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gripweed posted:

There's an absolute dogshit movie I saw a while back, clearly trying to be a ripoff of Fargo with a dash of Tarantino. It's set up north somewhere, in the winter. An insurance salesman type guy somehow gets into a plot to rip off an old man for a violin that turns out to be worth a ton of money. The big twist at the end is that it was somehow a plot to rip off the insurance guy, and like everyone was in on it. The old guy, the violin appraiser, all of the insurance guy's friends and colleagues, even nameless background extras were in on this plot. And the plot required the insurance guy to make a ton of very specific and unlikely choices all along the way. Like, he had to turn down the violin buyer's first offer, if he took it then the whole plan would've been hosed. And if at any point he had decided to back out of the scheme, like say after people started appearing to die, then the plan would've been hosed. Just dogshit movie. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

The plot sounds like a variant on a old (and famous) con which TV tropes has called the "violin scam" (Its in American Gods, and the Discworld book "Going Postal", among others). Googling "Violin Scam movie" suggests, 2011s "Thin Ice", https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512240/ which sounds right

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 18, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SiKboy posted:

The plot sounds like a variant on a old (and famous) con which TV tropes has called the "violin scam" (Its in American Gods, and the Discworld book "Going Postal", among others). Googling "Violin Scam movie" suggests, 2011s "Thin Ice", https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512240/ which sounds right

That's it! I kept looking for a William H Macey movie but I'd gotten him and Greg Kinnear confused.

Thanks so much. I loving hated that movie.

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.
Thank you for this thread! The movie I’m thinking about is a fantasy/swashbuckling-type story. It features this guy-I think he was dressed in red-and his young child sidekick. I can’t recall if the child was a boy or a girl. Anyway, the strange thing about the guy was that he would be killed, but moments later, he would be alive and well. There were multiple death scenes like this, where it would cut to another scene and he’d be alive like nothing happened.

Eventually there is the climactic battle, and the hero seemingly dies for real. There’s a funeral scene, and everyone is sad and crying. The hero’s body is being lowered into the grave, the camera is slowly zooming in on it, and the sad music builds to a crescendo. Suddenly, the scene changes to the hero standing over his own body, and he says something like “And he lived happily ever after.” The crowd bursts into applause. The hero says goodbye to his young sidekick, and then rides away, into the clouds.

Anyone know what movie this is?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Time Machine posted:

Thank you for this thread! The movie I’m thinking about is a fantasy/swashbuckling-type story. It features this guy-I think he was dressed in red-and his young child sidekick. I can’t recall if the child was a boy or a girl. Anyway, the strange thing about the guy was that he would be killed, but moments later, he would be alive and well. There were multiple death scenes like this, where it would cut to another scene and he’d be alive like nothing happened.

Eventually there is the climactic battle, and the hero seemingly dies for real. There’s a funeral scene, and everyone is sad and crying. The hero’s body is being lowered into the grave, the camera is slowly zooming in on it, and the sad music builds to a crescendo. Suddenly, the scene changes to the hero standing over his own body, and he says something like “And he lived happily ever after.” The crowd bursts into applause. The hero says goodbye to his young sidekick, and then rides away, into the clouds.

Anyone know what movie this is?

That sounds like the end of the Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I1jsBl-9yY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0iNnVUT6OA

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 19, 2022

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

Yes, that’s exactly what it was! It was a fragment of a childhood memory, thank you for clearing it up!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Another request from me.

80s or 90s corny action movie, set around a military helicopter pilot. I remember he uses a flight simulator and they kept raising the difficulty and he kept wining/dominating. And then they told him to change his vision mode or something and then he was terrible.

They figured out a way to fix it by having him drive around in a Jeep with something like a periscope over his eyes.

Probably really obvious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Custard Undies posted:

Another request from me.

80s or 90s corny action movie, set around a military helicopter pilot. I remember he uses a flight simulator and they kept raising the difficulty and he kept wining/dominating. And then they told him to change his vision mode or something and then he was terrible.

They figured out a way to fix it by having him drive around in a Jeep with something like a periscope over his eyes.

Probably really obvious.

Fire Birds AKA Wings Of The Apache

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyuHA_zAOM

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 20, 2022

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

That's the one. Thanks so much!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Son, you got a panty on your head.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
A movie set in Eastern Europe (Hungary? Balkans?) where a married man is hiding a young Jewish man, and uses his wife being 'pregnant' as the cover for why he needs more food, then needs the young Jewish man to make his wife pregnant to make his cover story true.
At the end he is going to get strung up as a collaborator because nobody believes his story about the Jewish boy (who has run off) and a chase scene of some kind ensues.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I am going nuts trying to remember a movie. Should be simple to find yet it's like I dreamed it.
I might be mixing up two movies..

Something about a house in the middle of nowhere the house is surrounded by elaborate traps someone gets killed in the beginning in them. Turns out there is a women(or man) keeping a alien in a cage in the basement. Their son was abducted ages ago?

I thought the title was something like Gate to hell but I find nothing. Fairly recent movie at least later than 2000.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think you might be describing Silent Warnings (2003). It's a very inelegant fit but it played pretty widely on the Sci-Fi channel which is why I'm picking it.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think you might be describing Silent Warnings (2003). It's a very inelegant fit but it played pretty widely on the Sci-Fi channel which is why I'm picking it.

No students at all! I think there is a fbi agent (a women) that visits the house the story might be centered around her. The aliens keep attacking at night because their pal is trapped in the basement.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Billy Zane AND a supernumerary Baldwin.

Hot drat.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pod fits some of it but definitely not all of it

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Opopanax posted:

Pod fits some of it but definitely not all of it

I have seen pod and nope. Really I think I am mixing two movies here.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Part of that sounds like Digging Up the Marrow, with Ray Wise.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
Almost certainly way off, but parts of the description remind me of Devil's Gate (2017) and parts of it remind me of The Hole (2009).

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

1 posted:

Almost certainly way off, but parts of the description remind me of Devil's Gate (2017) and parts of it remind me of The Hole (2009).

Pretty sure Devil's Gate is it! I'll try to find it and watch it if I got two movies mixed up I might figure out what the other was. Not The Hole or Digging up the marrow. But reading the reviews and synopsis I got a lot of things hosed up but it's really spot on. The women and child disappearing, the traps, the fbi agent.

Thanks everyone!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I vaguely remember seeing a movie on TV as a child (sometime mid 90s to 2000) wherein someone was in the desert and found people trapped in pods filled with blue goo. IIRC the people were duplicated and a character was possibly facing off against his own clone?

Having googled this I obviously came across Invasion of the Body Snatchers but upon further looking that isn't it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Vorenus posted:

I vaguely remember seeing a movie on TV as a child (sometime mid 90s to 2000) wherein someone was in the desert and found people trapped in pods filled with blue goo. IIRC the people were duplicated and a character was possibly facing off against his own clone?

Having googled this I obviously came across Invasion of the Body Snatchers but upon further looking that isn't it.

Isn’t the climax of The Sixth Day in a desert facility?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, I just remembered a movie whose title keeps escaping me, and this time I haven't been able to find it. It's a nineties move about some kids from, as I recall, some sort of generic YA novel dystopia (though, this was a couple decades before most of the YA dysopia stuff got popular). They, and a big, badass bodyguard dude who didn't speak much/at all, go into this maze (fully indoor, fairly smoky and poorly-lit, kind of pinkish lighting IIRC), and are on the run from a villain I don't remember too well, I think. The bodyguard guy sacrifices himself at the end and the kids make it out onto some idyllic beach and that's it, I believe. I'm pretty sure it aired on Nickelodeon at least once, but I mostly saw it on video at an after-school program I attended in elementary school.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vorenus posted:

Is it The Island?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/623904751657544/permalink/999519930762689/

Sry for fb link

Meme of Bunch of dudes running in field on wire work. Live action but not sure about the environment

Turns into them running on trees in forest somehow

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 6, 2022

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Is it The Island?

Trevor Hale posted:

Isn’t the climax of The Sixth Day in a desert facility?
Not either of these. I'm going off of very vague memory here but I'm assuming it was not something that would have had much theater time if any.

Honestly I'm just doing this as a long shot, "blue crystalgoo somewhere in a desert with people inside" isn't much to go on :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/623904751657544/permalink/999519930762689/

Sry for fb link

Meme of Bunch of dudes running in field on wire work. Live action but not sure about the environment

Turns into them running on trees in forest somehow

It's an ad for the Burberry Outerwear clothing line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCbfq_-cd-g

Heem
Jun 2, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, I just remembered a movie whose title keeps escaping me, and this time I haven't been able to find it. It's a nineties move about some kids from, as I recall, some sort of generic YA novel dystopia (though, this was a couple decades before most of the YA dysopia stuff got popular). They, and a big, badass bodyguard dude who didn't speak much/at all, go into this maze (fully indoor, fairly smoky and poorly-lit, kind of pinkish lighting IIRC), and are on the run from a villain I don't remember too well, I think. The bodyguard guy sacrifices himself at the end and the kids make it out onto some idyllic beach and that's it, I believe. I'm pretty sure it aired on Nickelodeon at least once, but I mostly saw it on video at an after-school program I attended in elementary school.

Pretty sure it’s Doom Runners.
Tim Curry was the villain, if that rings any bells.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Vorenus posted:

Honestly the closest thing I could think about it was the episode of Stargate SG-1 where there came across the body duplicating blue crystals in the desert. They cloned Jack O'Neill and they could morph about a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heem posted:

Pretty sure it’s Doom Runners.
Tim Curry was the villain, if that rings any bells.

Nickelodeon's first ever made for TV movie! Made in Australia and featuring a whole lot of familiar Australian faces such as Paul Livinginston AKA Flacco

Here's the entire movie: https://archive.org/details/doom-runners-1997