Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Also a bit off to say "we're basically still waiting for the game". I've already wasted 70 hours on the game which is far more than I do on most games. And when the IE hits, hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

lol, lmao

started this campaign thinking boris's starting province had some really nice geography that could funnel enemies into my settlements zones of control, little did i know that i am the fool - the moron

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I wanted a lot more of 3K in WH3 than we got. I actually really like how 3K does armies, with them being built out of characters who are specialized towards different retinues. That kind of character focus would have been nice in TW3, but I guess they were already committed to an older engine.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

It's hard to call it outright mismanagement IMO.
Looking at the WH3 that we got, I kind of get the feeling there has been some mismanagement going on though. Mostly in the form of different teams not talking to each other. WH3 felt to me like it was designed by the folks who made the original WH2, without them ever talking to the dudes who did WH2's post-launch support and asking what they had learned metrics and player feedback.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
In conclusion, gently caress triple A gamedev and the devs should unionize.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Isn't CA one of the good ones in that regard?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tankbuster posted:

Isn't CA one of the good ones in that regard?

One of the good ones in games doesn't really mean much.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

orangelex44 posted:

It's hard to call it outright mismanagement IMO. IIRC they'd stopped the DLC train for WH2 before COVID started to affect things, and for as much as people bitch about the WH3 release not releasing anything for another year would have been an even bigger backlash. CA's also been set up for a long time with one major release per year, which likely means their budget can only stretch so far before they don't really have a choice about putting out something even if it's not polished complete. Just because it's not the decision that many (or even a majority!) of players would prefer doesn't mean it was the wrong one. There might not have been a "right" decision in the first place, just a least-bad one.

I'm confident in calling it mismanagement, they shouldn't have released the game in the state that it was in. Had they banged an early access logo on it it would have been fine, but I'd have been fine waiting until I dunno, September? Fiscal year is probably March or something for these guys so it makes sense to release the game thats in the pipe for the monetary numbers to be where they are "supposed" to be in a given fiscal year. But thats irrelevant to me because I'm not a stockholder, I'm a customer. The campaign we got blows and the performance issues have gone from bad to worse, for me atleast.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's so weird to see people freaking out as bad as they are because TWW3 is not as good as the last TWW2 DLC despite being essentially fine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think a lot of people would have preferred things be in reverse; Immortal Empires being the main base game then releasing the Ursun campaign after as a DLC. It would have given them much more time to get the kinks out and any controversy about the campaign would be limited to "I didn't care for that DLC" but even that campaign would probably be a lot better given that it would have much more time in the development oven.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I can’t imagine anyone on the business side wanted them to launch a game that requires two other games to work. I get why they felt they needed a base game campaign, I think they were just really off in terms of what it is.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah you guys are really underestimating the ask of "own two whole rear end games to play this big fuckoff mode." For the record, if it wasn't for the sale going on right now, Total Warhammer 1 is still a full 60USD game.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They could literally include a loving 95% off coupon for TW1/2 with the purchase of 3 but let's be real they're greedy and dumb.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Raygereio posted:

Looking at the WH3 that we got, I kind of get the feeling there has been some mismanagement going on though. Mostly in the form of different teams not talking to each other. WH3 felt to me like it was designed by the folks who made the original WH2, without them ever talking to the dudes who did WH2's post-launch support and asking what they had learned metrics and player feedback.

Yeah, it really does feel like Warhammer keeps having to go through weird resets. How many times have they "fixed" the enemy-general-running-away bug now?

Nephthys posted:

I played a bit of 3K recently as the bandit queen and the updated bandit system was really cool and creative. Being able to have a small patch of territory and run around the map fighting as a mercenary was great fun. Their tech tree being an actual bandit network that you expand across the map, unlocking unique benefits per province is such a smart, flavorful mechanic. It's definitely improved from release, it's worth updating for it.

If they make a Dogs of War faction for WH3 they should just crib heavily from that system. Nanman was fun as well, but it is basically just a barbarian faction.

I went back to 3K recently and they definitely made some really good tweaks to campaign mechanics, bandits most of all.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm of the opinion that IE should just be a thing available to all WH3 owners, without the need to own the prior two games, and the content should be the only thing gated behind purchasing stuff. It'd be a huge advertisement for the rest of the series.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So the Ham-3-only people can play IE, but only with the WH3 factions?

Honestly, I think that would work

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Gonkish posted:

I'm of the opinion that IE should just be a thing available to all WH3 owners, without the need to own the prior two games, and the content should be the only thing gated behind purchasing stuff. It'd be a huge advertisement for the rest of the series.

I disagree I think video games should cost $200-500 dollars.

What would it cost to buy WH1-3 and all DLC? It's gotta be close to $500.

Although I'm thinking in AUD. So maybe $350-400 USD.

E: I was pretty close.

WH1 and all DLC = 147.91 USD and 205.42 AUD

WH2 and all DLC = 161.94 USD and 224.91 AUD

WH3 and all DLC = 76.25 USD and 105.90 AUD

If you want to play WH3 IE with all races and LL available then it will cost you a total of 386.10 USD and 536.23 AUD.

Games are more expensive here than other places so I think US prices will be cheaper. I'm curious to know by how much.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 6, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kazzah posted:

Exactly, yeah. Everyone that owns WH3 could play IE, buuuuut only with the toys that they own.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Funky See Funky Do posted:

WH1 and all DLC = 147.91 USD and 205.42 AUD

WH2 and all DLC = 161.94 USD and 224.91 AUD

WH3 and all DLC = 76.25 USD and 105.90 AUD

:negative: why would you post this you evil bastard

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gonkish posted:

I've seen some serious speculation that this will be exactly how IE will work, and it makes a lot of sense to me. It surely incentivizes owners of WH3 a lot more to buy the old games/DLC if they can take their Slaanesh army and conquer Ulthuan, see the High Elves as an enemy, and wonder how it would be to play as them.

Also, IE will take up a big chunk of dev time for the foreseeable future, CA surely don't want to piss off WH3 owners by only giving updates to a content the base game only owners can't access.

So in short, I would honestly be more surprised if the base IE campaign itself will require you to own WH1 and WH2.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It is pretty bizarre the way they've chosen to to force people to own all the games in the series to get the full experience. I can imagine that being quite an obstacle for new players.

Warhammer 1 should, obviously, just be incorporated into the other games at this point. With the third game out so should Warhammer 2. If they want to capitalize on things, then make players buy the DLC's. But they should only need to purchase one base game

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Kazzah posted:

I mean this is pretty much how the campaigns in the older games worked when you booted up the game for the first time or prior to using a faction unlocker.

It worked pretty okay unless you're one of those people like me who'd really rather play Greece or Parthia as opposed to Rome or something.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Eh, in the current sale WH1 is going for 12 euros and WH2 for 16 euros with DLC being more than 50% off. I imagine there will be another substantial sale when IE arrives.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsqXGRU4y0E
The modders is what will save this game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arghy posted:

Those are pretty cool

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arghy posted:

That witch hunter at the end. Nice.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The fuckin gutter runner mikiri counter

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Uh, so from the steam thread it sounds like that unless you have Gamepass, to just stick with the second game and its DLC.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I mean I don't feel ripped off by buying TWW3 and playing my 40some hours or anything. The bugs and performance weren't great but I like the factions and there's good QOL stuff in there.

But yeah I think if you're just starting the series start with game 2.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Unlucky7 posted:

Uh, so from the steam thread it sounds like that unless you have Gamepass, to just stick with the second game and its DLC.

I got 9 hours out of the third installment before shelving it for potential updates. I've played the second for 1,500 hours. I highly recommend the second one and think the third is mostly trash at the moment.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Eh. I've gotten 90ish hours from WH3. I got well over 500 from WH2, but that was also over several years so ymmv. Get whichever has a better sale I guess? WH3 is probably only going to get better over time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah but if you're deciding today on what to get then get WH2. You'll have hundreds of hours of content to go through that is at a pretty good balance point for most factions. if you can also grab WH1 and unlock the cool map you have more than enough to do until WH3 gets good. which I expect to at least take til the end of the year if not longer

this is someone who has over 120 hours in WH3 and am playing a N'kari campaign currently

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah I have around 100 hours in WH3 at this point, and I'd say grab WH2 and give it a shot first, especially considering that it's on sale right now. If you dig it, grab WH1 as well (on the same storefront), and you've got Mortal Empires, and a shitload of content at your disposal (especially if you grab a few of the DLCs, as well).

There's a lot of good in WH3, especially in terms of diplomacy, but it hasn't had 5+ years of patching (which it still needs, although they are getting there) and DLC, and Immortal Empires isn't out yet, so it's a tough comparison.

Bonus point? If you grab the first two games while they're on sale, not only do you get Mortal Empires (and all of the goodness in there), you will also be able to get access to Immortal Empires (all three games on one big map) once that eventually drops, assuming you buy WH3.

WH2 has a LOT of goodness in there. It'll last you quite some time, meanwhile WH3 will be getting the work it needs, and more content, and eventually the big map.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I agree. WH2 has more going for it. I'd recommend it over WH3 for sure, especially as going back to WH2 after 3 and not having the cool outpost/diplomacy things sucks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just wanted to say j started a cathay campaign today and its a lot of fun. could not have fun with Kislev, but this has been good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

The fuckin gutter runner mikiri counter

Best of them all imo. Spear dude skewering zomb skull is close second, then funky Drucchi Corsair sword slip on High Elf guy. That mods def coming along nicely.

Greenskin going wild with slams could use some work, shield bash looks odd

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im a Bratz doll now apparently, its nice to meet you all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dandywalken posted:

Im a Bratz doll now apparently, its nice to meet you all

Ah, an ogre maneater

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
If this was posted on here already then I apologize, but the DLC director Rich Aldridge did a interview by Arkcard and got summarized on the subreddit:

they realize the ancient salamander is a "meme" for being bad and changes to it haven't hit, will probably tweak its stats again

they want to fix the gate bug and the routing units charging into the enemy's city bug. they're aware of how much these things suck and that they have been in game since WH1. They want to fix them but it's obviously not an easy fix at this point

Rich says a couple times he wasn't involved in that, or it wasn't his call, when talking about the red UI or Slaanesh design.

They're aware of the community's dislike of dumb Throgg and preference for intellectual Throgg but have no plans on it.

Rich alludes to something, implementing some sort of feature or design from one of their other Total War titles into WHIII soon. They remain open to doing this and taking ideas from historical if it fits.

Rich knows that say Kroq-gar lacks mechanics compared to Snikch. They have lots of runway and time to work on these older factions but it pretty much has to be paired with development of new content.

Red UI is being worked on (no further details at the moment);

BAlance to faction mechanics and their usefulness is an ongoing work, so there are always changes when they find something that does not have a good impact. However, they are fine with some mechanics becoming obsolete during the course of the campaign (like Kislev's filling bar to the confederacy).

-Autoresolve: never a tool to make it exactly as if you would fight the battle, as they do want to "nudge you a bit" into experiencing some battles here and there. It is constantly being thought through, as the changes that were made to reflect which units will die, etc. (I repeatedly asked what values and factors go into it, and he said he would try to speak to the team to make it more transparent, but no promise on that);

-They check for feedback everywhere, from the forums, reddit, discord, YouTubers, chat on twitch, etc.

The mod community is amazing and they do enjoy giving them tools to ensure they manage to perform their work; some mods get fairly noticed, such as the respec mod, which he clarified it is high on their list, but have not found a way to put it in game properly (as in, they do not just want a button to do it). Many on the development team started in modding, so they are well aware of what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Im still on Total warhammer 2 until Mortal Empire comes to TW3. I just got to try The Warden faction and I am a big fan of the capture/defend dynamic that it goes for, along with its semi shadow of Mordor feature where you use captured leaders against them. Now AFAIK I have to use my pokeball on the enemy leader as I am about to wound him, but I find this kind of tiresome. I just want to have access to the features if I wound the enemy lord. Or at least have a way to increase the duration of the capturing pokeball to longer than 2.5 seconds.

Also any general advice on how to avoid going minus on cash if much appreciated, since you start with two lords and you cant really progress much on either side unless you decide to buff them both up...

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 8, 2022