Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

I haven't touched it since it was on the whatever service before steam

ARPANET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it got a big boost in players temporarily after they released functioning multiplayer, and then everyone stopped playing it again because it gets really boring once you understand how to survive longterm

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I lost track of them slightly after someone stole their laptops and they lost months worth of work. Which now that I've looked it up to jog my memory was ELEVEN YEARS AGO

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
p sure brutal doom guy is the dude who put used real gore for references

project brutality is where its at imo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

verbal enema posted:

p sure brutal doom guy is the dude who put used real gore for references

project brutality is where its at imo

A lot of violent games unfortunately do that. Most notably, Mortal Kombat 11.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

A lot of violent games unfortunately do that. Most notably, Mortal Kombat 11.

Dead Space was the other big one I remember

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s common to use it as a reference, I thought the thing with brutal doom was he put them straight into the game with only minimal alternation

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

haveblue posted:

It’s common to use it as a reference, I thought the thing with brutal doom was he put them straight into the game with only minimal alternation

thats what it was

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

caleb posted:

The Brutal Doom guy is having a meltdown because he died on the Project Zomboid Steam discussions :lmao:
From the way this is phrased I'm going to assume that he somehow managed to die in the Steam discussion thread.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Carpator Diei posted:

From the way this is phrased I'm going to assume that he somehow managed to die in the Steam discussion thread.

A fate worse than death.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Carpator Diei posted:

Not far off, tbh.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

If you die in the Steam discussion thread you're stuck there forever. I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a rumor that one of the dead soldier sprites from OG doom is a barely-edited photo of mussolini's hanged corpse.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a rumor that one of the dead soldier sprites from OG doom is a barely-edited photo of mussolini's hanged corpse.

Yeah, it's the hanging pants sprite.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Glagha posted:

If you die in the Steam discussion thread you're stuck there forever. I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone

Brutal Doom clown deserves worse. :clint:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh, this thing. Yeah it's supposedly not just Benito Mussolini, but a combination of him and his mistress Clara Petacci. I think it's all bollocks since too many things don't align with the sprite and any photo I've seen of the execution, in particular the lighting and folds in the clothes.

Not to mention that according to Adrian Carmack, it's merely a GI Joe that Kevin Cloud was scanning with the camera.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

MJBuddy posted:

This is absolutely a fantasy world you live in.

That CoD is falling off a bit? Because the sales numbers have started dipping for years. I dunno how the current live service hell machine is doing but I wonder when they plan to replace it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I dunno how the current live service hell machine is doing
As of last August it allegedly makes $5.2 million a day.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I guess it's dying :stare:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm honestly surprised because all I ever hear is people hate CoD now. I have no idea what they've been doing to still make money.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The Kins posted:

I assume most of it comes from whatever version of battle royal is currently the main thing?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm honestly surprised because all I ever hear is people hate CoD now. I have no idea what they've been doing to still make money.

it's similar to fortnite, you'd think that was unpopular based on what you hear in older gaming cliques but that just doesn't reflect reality

reddit posts about a new fortnite season get downvoted into the negative, while it prints another billion dollars

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol even on its off years COD has routinely been the number one selling game with very few interruptions. Even the much-maligned Vanguard was number one last year. Number two? COD Black Ops.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

That CoD is falling off a bit? Because the sales numbers have started dipping for years. I dunno how the current live service hell machine is doing but I wonder when they plan to replace it.

lmao

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
CoD multiplayer is pretty great IMO. In an era of increasingly competitive and metagame-oriented online gaming, CoD remains one of the last bastions of the kind of chaotic low-stakes hijinks that I loved from the Quake era through the early TF2 era. Ever since Overwatch and the battle royale craze, multiplayer games have become way more stressful and less enjoyable to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bizarrely enough, it's the heathen games COD and Halo that are now the closest things to arena shooters these days.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
cod ripped off pubg and un-janked it a lot, which is what i think most players are playing cod for these days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
cod owns.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Foul Fowl posted:

cod ripped off pubg and un-janked it a lot, which is what i think most players are playing cod for these days.
When I think of CoD I'm not thinking about Warzone. The mainline CoD games are still doing gangbusters and those have nothing to do with BR.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I’m hyped for MW2 2022, really excited to see what IW can do with the new console tech

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I'd imagine it's a lot like Madden and FIFA and other mainstream darlings where its fanbase has very little crossover with the sort of people who post on videogame forums like this one. It's a big world out there!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Volte posted:

When I think of CoD I'm not thinking about Warzone. The mainline CoD games are still doing gangbusters and those have nothing to do with BR.

i thought they were baked into the same game but it's actually a free to play thing. that shows you how much i know about cod lol. world at war on the 360 had really good multiplayer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It’s baked into MW2019 but it’s basically superseded that game at this stage

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shoehead posted:

I lost track of them slightly after someone stole their laptops and they lost months worth of work. Which now that I've looked it up to jog my memory was ELEVEN YEARS AGO

What the gently caress?! No way, I swear I remember reading about that........ oh, yeah, I was definitely living in another state at the time actually.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m hyped for MW2 2022, really excited to see what IW can do with the new console tech
The last CoD I played was the original MW2 back in 2009/2010. Before that I was getting my fix of Army Soldier Mans videogames from Battlefield 2, which is so long ago at this point it might as well be a sepia-toned silent movie.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

If MW2 2022 doesn't have one man army, danger close and one hit kill grenade launchers then what's the point of it all! MW2 really was the zenith of the entire series as far as i'm concerned. Lots of weapon diversity and lots of 'overpowered' options to pick from and maps with sensible angles and vaguely decent spawns.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The last CoD I played was the original MW2 back in 2009/2010. Before that I was getting my fix of Army Soldier Mans videogames from Battlefield 2, which is so long ago at this point it might as well be a sepia-toned silent movie.

Infinite Warfare is worth playing, looks great and it’s an amazing Battlestar Gallactica FPS (in everything but name)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

World at War and BLOPS were the last CoDs I played a ton of and I considered getting into Warzone but Apex is the best BR by such a margin I never ended up playing it. It's kinda weird Blackout didn't blow up anywhere near as big as Warzone when it looked so much better. The one thing I miss from CoD multiplayer is hardcore servers I liked the low time-to-kill and having to ADS.

verbal enema posted:

three hours spent getting to e1m7 on Cero Miedo

I wish there was one more difficulty between Cero and the one-hit you're dead difficulty. I've played Dusk five times through and I'd do a sixth on such a difficulty.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 6, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

You have to unload like two mags into a person to even knock them in COD BR, it's loving ridiculous. But that's only if you have the requisite 1 TB of storage to hold the entire drat game. (Yes I know I'm exaggerating)

PUBG has fun playable jank, outside of the stupid rate of fire their DMRs are capable of. Dropping bricks of C4 from a glider onto clusters of squads and getting multi kills is some Grade A+ good poo poo.

Foul Fowl posted:

i thought they were baked into the same game but it's actually a free to play thing. that shows you how much i know about cod lol. world at war on the 360 had really good multiplayer.

The way I understand it is Warzone is it's own separate thing, single player and standard multiplayer are combined downloads.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/warzone-dev-says-game-is-losing-players-over-insane-download-sizes/

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
warzone is less than 100gb now on current gen consoles, pretty small