Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1533648365539495937?s=20&t=VlmUCz2ssFM259BZVN3Ijw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
what the gently caress is going with the avatars in this thread

edit: ok, at least I'm safe from the ai generated bidens.

edit2: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

god please help me fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 6, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

god please help me posted:

Someone with more money than brains thinks it's hilarious.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Someone with more money than brains thinks it's hilarious.

Yours looks pretty ok compared to some of the others. I was trying to find the worst looking one but they all look awful

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I get a fash vibe from them. I feel like whoever did this typed in Ukrainian flag Biden fascist eyes

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I can't tell who mine is supposed to be

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Youth Decay posted:

I can't tell who mine is supposed to be

An artistic rendition of Biden crying at azovstal falling because he loves Hitler.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1533638521717723136?s=20&t=PnJi_Q-gUlDrKEtPJ6i29Q

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

Even given the shape it's in, I'd bet that the tank will get fixed and reach the front. As the last tank of the T-55 series, T-62 was a lot mechanically simpler than the tanks that followed. It's not necessarily "reliable" as such (especially now), but it is much easier to repair than the later tanks.

They'll undoubtedly get these to the front even they have to move them on trucks to get there. That's when the real fun begins:

You say they should be comparatively easy to repair - and I guess on a surface level that makes sense as they lack a lot of the complicated electronics and such the newer vehicles have. The problem is they don't share parts or ammunition with anything active in the Russian inventory (probably why these were still intact) and will require their own logistics train. You want ammo? Well you need to pull out some super old 115mm ammo because the 125mm ammo the T-64/72/80/90 use won't work. You want to fix an engine? Well, bad news because this thing is a stretched T-55 chassis with its own special engine nothing else uses and practically every other component is unique too because this is a stopgap design and 1960's Soviet politics were insane. This lack of commonality hits even harder because they haven't been in service for several decades meaning not only has nobody been maintaining these particular vehicles, but nobody around has been trained to maintain them and any replacement parts you do have kicking around are also all ancient. Vehicles like tanks tend to break down periodically even without leaving it out to rust in a yard for a couple decades, especially in hard use like in combat.

Even if they go through all the trouble to run a parallel logistics effort to keep these things running they aren't especially capable, even by 1980's standards. These T-62's were the bottom of the barrel and even the eventual modernizations were a "well, what can we do to make them a bit less obsolete without spending much money" kinda deal. No electronic sensors to spot threats and even the traditional optics aren't great compared to 1970's productions like an original T-64 or an old export T-72M. No fancy fire control computer or stabilizer here so it has to stop to fire or reload, plus no autoloader in a vehicle where loading was infamously difficult. The armor is poor by even by early 1970's standards so you have these gigantic, ridiculous applique armor kits slapped on to the front of the turret so that at least one part of the vehicle would be protected, at the expense of adding a bunch of off-center extra weight to the chassis/suspension. It's basically a vehicle with the capabilities of a late WWII heavy tank.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 6, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Destroy the trucks. Save Sieverodonetsk. Save Ukraine.

For every thousand page readers: Russia is utilizing trucks
converted into railway vehicles similar to the jeep army circa WW2. Because of low rolling resistance they can carry more on a railway than they can on a road. So they are rolling supplies at 4-5 cars at a time or possibly more if they exceed duty rating.

If Ukraine can track and destroy those arty supply routes further than Russian artillery can range, the entire offensive will be stunted to a possibly war ending effect.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 6, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The T-62s we are seeing are literally from 1973 at latest. The 62M variant was an upgrade of existing tanks, not new builds. These tanks are absolutely ancient.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dandywalken posted:

The T-62s we are seeing are literally from 1973 at latest. The 62M variant was an upgrade of existing tanks, not new builds. These tanks are absolutely ancient.

Can anti material rifles pop these things?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Probably not without a lucky hit against a very rusted-through patch of armor.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

No, but artillery can do it a bit easier. These have even thinner roof armor than the T-64/72.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They’re AI generated.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Warbadger posted:

They'll undoubtedly get these to the front even they have to move them on trucks to get there. That's when the real fun begins:

You say they should be comparatively easy to repair - and I guess on a surface level that makes sense as they lack a lot of the complicated electronics and such the newer vehicles have. The problem is they don't share parts or ammunition with anything active in the Russian inventory (probably why these were still intact) and will require their own logistics train. You want ammo? Well you need to pull out some super old 115mm ammo because the 125mm ammo the T-64/72/80/90 use won't work. You want to fix an engine? Well, bad news because this thing is a stretched T-55 chassis with its own special engine nothing else uses and practically every other component is unique too because this is a stopgap design and 1960's Soviet politics were insane. This lack of commonality hits even harder because they haven't been in service for several decades meaning not only has nobody been maintaining these particular vehicles, but nobody around has been trained to maintain them and any replacement parts you do have kicking around are also all ancient. Vehicles like tanks tend to break down periodically even without leaving it out to rust in a yard for a couple decades, especially in hard use like in combat.

Even if they go through all the trouble to run a parallel logistics effort to keep these things running they aren't especially capable, even by 1980's standards. These T-62's were the bottom of the barrel and even the eventual modernizations were a "well, what can we do to make them a bit less obsolete without spending much money" kinda deal. No electronic sensors to spot threats and even the traditional optics aren't great compared to 1970's productions like an original T-64 or an old export T-72M. No fancy fire control computer or stabilizer here so it has to stop to fire or reload, plus no autoloader in a vehicle where loading was infamously difficult. The armor is poor by even by early 1970's standards so you have these gigantic, ridiculous applique armor kits slapped on to the front of the turret so that at least one part of the vehicle would be protected, at the expense of adding a bunch of off-center extra weight to the chassis/suspension. It's basically a vehicle with the capabilities of a late WWII heavy tank.

Yeah, all of this on the nose. The T-62 is just old, and the 62M upgrades really mean nothing. They have their own logistic lines and crew training needs. There's no way around the fact that fielding these is a pure desperation move.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hard no. You could actually use a WW2 AT rifle to penetrate some of the thin patches of armor here and there on the sides, but you would need to be like fifty feet away with a clear, 90 degree angle on a patch of side armor, which is just unrealistic. Even then, there likely wouldn't be any real internal damage. However, the list of AT weapons that can penetrate a T-62 from any angle includes "pretty much anything made after 1960." I have to imagine that spalling is actually still a large concern with any hit on a T-62 as well, but anything Ukraine is fielding should cut through it like butter.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 6, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Posts like these are great. Thank you for taking the time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol I got one too for only telling y’all what it was.

Edit: I kinda like it.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

:shrug:
===
With the Predator Gray Eagle being confirmed (..ish) as going to be supplied, I was wondering if anyone had an answer about my previous question about them operating with Brimstones instead of Hellfires. Are they compatible?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

that's probably enough derail about North Korea

edit: also probably enough chat about avatars. Yes, someone appears to have dropped hundreds of dollars on avs for this thread. No, mods will not be blanking them. You can spend 5bux to replace them if you want.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 6, 2022

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Warbadger posted:

Even if they go through all the trouble to run a parallel logistics effort to keep these things running they aren't especially capable, even by 1980's standards.

Thus is one of the things that really bothers me. Doesn't the Russian army have staff to say 'this is stupid and not worth the effort'? There would have to be some internal push back from fielding obsolete equipment that isn't compatible with more modern equipment.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cable Guy posted:

:shrug:
===
With the Predator Gray Eagle being confirmed (..ish) as going to be supplied, I was wondering if anyone had an answer about my previous question about them operating with Brimstones instead of Hellfires. Are they compatible?

Brimstones can be fired from Reapers (aka second generation Predators). Adjusting Grey Eagles to fire Brimstones might involve some modifications, but it seems like a solved problem. They're about the same weight as a Hellfire and everything is designed to use NATO rails.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Budzilla posted:

Thus is one of the things that really bothers me. Doesn't the Russian army have staff to say 'this is stupid and not worth the effort'? There would have to be some internal push back from fielding obsolete equipment that isn't compatible with more modern equipment.

Just see it as equal opportunity thievery. If the guys promising new tanks steal all the funds and fail to deliver as promised you can get a lot of money too for keeping old stock operational. And that money is even less likely to be checked if it was spent effectively, what are the odds all those T-62's are ever needed?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Brimstones can be fired from Reapers (aka second generation Predators). Adjusting Grey Eagles to fire Brimstones might involve some modifications, but it seems like a solved problem. They're about the same weight as a Hellfire and everything is designed to use NATO rails.
Thanks...

:thumbsup:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I like the new avs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

edit: ok, at least I'm safe from the ai generated bidens.

edit2: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Getting a paid av change is a posting badge of honor. Embrace it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wibla posted:

What point are you really trying to make here? :psyduck:

That it's been a long rear end time since the Marshall Plan, and you shouldn't take that kind of stuff for granted.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol the finnish/russian border guards are less harsh than the time I flew back to Canada from France while not being canadian

Finnish border guards tend to be very professional, and not a bunch of thugs, as a rule, compared to the Russian border guard. They are separate from the Border Rangers, who are conscripts, but both are under the Ministry of Interior. I was a regular-rear end ranger during my service and we had a friendly rivalry with the Border Rangers, whose nickname for us was Park Rangers.

Anecdotally, it's surprisingly hard to get into the 12-month border guard training programme in Finland. Between 800 and 900 applicants, only 60 will be admitted, so they can afford to be very picky. Similar thing if one wants to be a cop. There's one police academy with the fancy name of "Police University College" in the whole country, over 5000 applicants annually, 400 will get in, and the programme lasts three years, with the fancy sounding name "Bachelor of Police Services". The cops still do have a racism problem, but they do not kill people, especially minorities and the poor, and get away with it as a rule.

Warden fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 6, 2022

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vox Nihili posted:

Getting a paid av change is a posting badge of honor. Embrace it.

Tbh I'm quite grateful for it even if I suspect that my avatar is a cronenbergian fusion of Biden and Putin. Thank you, mysterious kind/cruel stranger.

Also, slava Ukraina.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Re: T62 tanks. Can tank crews trained in more modern tanks like T72s, T80s etc just hop in an old obsolete T62 and operate it no problem? Or does Russia need to keep crews specifically trained just for the T62s as long as they have them in storage for possible usage?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I am just gonna post with this avatar forever since whoever bought it for me will have to answer for defending their mass raping, mass local executioning comrades forever. All I will have to answer for is saying that those people were loving morons. Easy breezy as far as I am concerned.

That being said, the fact that the massive breakthroughs that Ukraine was able to pull off in Severodonetsk by essentially feigning retreats is kind of hilarious, and suggests that the Russian military is operating on pure reactionary force at this point. They are desperately looking for any opening.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Charliegrs posted:

Re: T62 tanks. Can tank crews trained in more modern tanks like T72s, T80s etc just hop in an old obsolete T62 and operate it no problem? Or does Russia need to keep crews specifically trained just for the T62s as long as they have them in storage for possible usage?

Probably don't need much training if you're going to use it as a field emplacement or basically a bunker with a cannon. If you are going to use it as intended there will be issues especially with maintenance and repair.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charliegrs posted:

Given that T-62 has a crew of 4 and the newer tanks have only 3 crewmen, you can't just switch from one to another. In general all equipment of similar class can be gotten used to with some practice, but learning all the quirks will take longer.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Randarkman posted:

That it's been a long rear end time since the Marshall Plan, and you shouldn't take that kind of stuff for granted.

So... about that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Not sure I can post the vid alone. But this article has a clip of a Russian political scientist on a talk show telling them to cool it with the nuclear hot takes (literally) re American arms shipments: https://www.hln.be/buitenland/exper...ummer~a2c0b4df/

My loose translation from the Dutch subs (happy if any Ru speaker could confirm):
“There is a flood of information, also in our mainstream media, about how scary and terrible everything is. About 500 times per day, on every channel, on every talk show it’s about how many more weapons were sent and how terrifying they are. “

“People ask ‘what’s next?’ and their answer is ‘don’t worry, a nuclear war will follow.’ What is that? Is that a normal approach? Is that the way you want to deal with public opinion? I think this is something to think about.”

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

dominoeffect posted:

Yours looks pretty ok compared to some of the others. I was trying to find the worst looking one but they all look awful

I think I look pretty good myself.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Fritz the Horse posted:

edit: also probably enough chat about avatars. Yes, someone appears to have dropped hundreds of dollars on avs for this thread. No, mods will not be blanking them. You can spend 5bux to replace them if you want.

End of avatar chat. Thanks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deltasquid posted:

Not sure I can post the vid alone. But this article has a clip of a Russian political scientist on a talk show telling them to cool it with the nuclear hot takes (literally) re American arms shipments: https://www.hln.be/buitenland/exper...ummer~a2c0b4df/

My loose translation from the Dutch subs (happy if any Ru speaker could confirm):
“There is a flood of information, also in our mainstream media, about how scary and terrible everything is. About 500 times per day, on every channel, on every talk show it’s about how many more weapons were sent and how terrifying they are. “

“People ask ‘what’s next?’ and their answer is ‘don’t worry, a nuclear war will follow.’ What is that? Is that a normal approach? Is that the way you want to deal with public opinion? I think this is something to think about.”

There's always a guy like this on these shows. 99/100 times he's being shouted down by everyone else, including the host, right after voicing something resembling a moderate position.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Paladinus posted:

There's always a guy like this on these shows. 99/100 times he's being shouted down by everyone else, including the host, right after voicing something resembling a moderate position.

That's not fair, sometimes they make decent points and are allowed to speak freely.
Then they come back the next day and say everything they said before was a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Interesting article on future defense for smaller countries based on the lessons from Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/business/status/1533684615155703810
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-06/ukraine-shows-how-small-countries-can-humble-global-superpowers