Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got my second booster this morning and so far things have been the same as the first three shots: sore arm.

EDIT: All achy now and have the chills. But this is why I got the shot on Friday, in case I had to spend a couple of days riding out the side effects.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

fartman posted:

I am also visiting Europe and can confirm, somehow even less people wear masks here than in the United States.

Blame the UK, they started openbiden as soon as possible so they could go on about the benefits of brexit, so other EU countries followed them right after. At least in Portugal people still seemed to be masking well into late last year, gently caress knows now that Summer temps are approaching though :shrug:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
What’s the thread consensus for quarantining these days? My husband has COVID and I don’t. So far he’s isolating upstairs but he’s probably going back to work after 5 days, per the CDC guidelines. After the 5 days should he continue isolating when at home? Just wear a mask in common areas? Throw parties?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Joburg posted:

What’s the thread consensus for quarantining these days? My husband has COVID and I don’t. So far he’s isolating upstairs but he’s probably going back to work after 5 days, per the CDC guidelines. After the 5 days should he continue isolating when at home? Just wear a mask in common areas? Throw parties?

Test after five days. Aim for two negative tests in a row. If he’s positive he should stay home til he tests negative. If that’s not financially possible he should n95 up at work at all times (including eating/drinking, go outside and eat in your car/drink outside. If people complain compare it to a smoke break, no one bitches about those).
Air out the room he’s quarantining in, throw open those windows and turn on a fan with the door to the house closed. Should be fine after a few hours. Then wash everything.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

Test after five days. Aim for two negative tests in a row. If he’s positive he should stay home til he tests negative. If that’s not financially possible he should n95 up at work at all times (including eating/drinking, go outside and eat in your car/drink outside. If people complain compare it to a smoke break, no one bitches about those).
Air out the room he’s quarantining in, throw open those windows and turn on a fan with the door to the house closed. Should be fine after a few hours. Then wash everything.

What about at home? Should I assume he’s not contagious after 5 days and negative tests?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The 5 days thing is gaslighting from the CDC because Delta Airlines complained to the Biden administration, HTH.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joburg posted:

What about at home? Should I assume he’s not contagious after 5 days and negative tests?

He can still be contagious. The most likely time is up to 10 days. Stay away from him and get multiple negative tests before he leaves quarantine.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

He can still be contagious. The most likely time is up to 10 days. Stay away from him and get multiple negative tests before he leaves quarantine.

It's 14 days, the 10 days was a concession to business.

And RATs are so inaccurate now I wouldn't recommend 'testing out' of quarantine. Assume he's contagious for 14 days, then test and only continue quarantining if he's still positive. No number of negative RATs should lead you to shorten quarantine below 14 days.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thanks, all.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Joburg posted:

As of the beginning of 2022, the CDC recommendation is quarantine for 5 days or until major symptoms (like cough and fever) subside, whichever is longer, followed by 5 days of mask-wearing. Additionally, it recommends isolating in-home during that first "five days or until symptoms subside" period. The CDC says that this is based on studies and science showing that transmission risk is highest during the early parts of the illness, and that

The CDC website has some pretty comprehensive information, I recommend going there first for specifics! It's far more reliable than this thread, and is far more likely to actually provide a rationale.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HazCat posted:

It's 14 days, the 10 days was a concession to business.

And RATs are so inaccurate now I wouldn't recommend 'testing out' of quarantine. Assume he's contagious for 14 days, then test and only continue quarantining if he's still positive. No number of negative RATs should lead you to shorten quarantine below 14 days.

From what I remember, 10 days was a 95% confidence thing but IIRC it was based on wildtype or alpha

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

10 days seems to be the rule of thumb with Omicron as well (if vaccinated):

https://www.niid.go.jp/niid/en/2019-ncov-e/10884-covid19-66-en.html

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Welcome to the newest vaccination battlefield: the Special loving Olympics.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1532827134980505606
https://twitter.com/jayobtv/status/1532717922526842882

It sucks that the Special Olympics gave in to Florida's threats and removed the vaccination requirement, but it sucks worse that Florida put them in that position in the first place. I've been seeing more and more of this kind of thing lately: events insisting on keeping a vaccination mandate or mask mandate, only for the venue or local government to intervene and prevent them from doing so.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Just add it to the rapidly increasing list of reasons that business should never use Florida as a venue.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Joburg posted:

Building a corsi cube (it's not nearly as difficult as the weird name makes it sound!) will make your household safer. Not necessarily safe, but safer. https://encycla.com/Corsi-Rosenthal_Cube

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Joburg posted:

This hasn't been mentioned and might be obvious, but you might plan on the possibility of catching it and isolating yourself. Have tests on hand, look at your schedule for the next couple weeks etc. Obviously you should take whatever reasonable steps you can to avoid getting infected but it's so contagious there's a good chance you'll catch it being in the same household for days on end.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 5, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Or you won't, it's a weird virus and the vaccines are miraculous. My partner caught it a month ago and I didn't mask inside, we shared the same space, slept in the same bed, didn't change anything, and I didn't catch jack poo poo. I figured welp, I'm getting it now and it just...never happened. I do not say this to tell you to not take precautions, OP, but hopefully if you do take precautions you can feel a little more hopeful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Unlike the first three times I received my shot in the side of my shoulder, not the rear. Got a big bruise, surprising amount of dried blood under the bandage. Armpit lymph nodes are much angrier this time, but the arm itself is less swollen than after the other shots. My plan to use the weekend to get through any unpleasantness is working out. I'd rather do this at home than struggling through a workday feeling crappy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got my fourth dose as a Pfizer booster on Friday and I just felt hung over and tired on Saturday morning. Beat being knocked out with a fever for two days from the full strength Moderna shot I got as my third.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

How are u posted:

Or you won't, it's a weird virus and the vaccines are miraculous. My partner caught it a month ago and I didn't mask inside, we shared the same space, slept in the same bed, didn't change anything, and I didn't catch jack poo poo. I figured welp, I'm getting it now and it just...never happened. I do not say this to tell you to not take precautions, OP, but hopefully if you do take precautions you can feel a little more hopeful.

How many PCR tests did you take and at what interval? How did you rule out you gave it to her 10 days prior from an asymptomatic infection?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

droll posted:

How many PCR tests did you take and at what interval? How did you rule out you gave it to her 10 days prior from an asymptomatic infection?

:shrug:

I went and took a lab test at a CVS 5 days after she was confirmed infected, and that came back negativo. She was popping positive on those lab tests weeks after her symptoms went away, but while she was showing negative on home tests.

But sure, maybe its possible that I secretly had it and it never manifested as symptoms for me and I gave it to her. Is that possible? I sure don't know. I don't care much, either, because the result of our vaccinated encounter with covid was that she had a very mild fever that kinda came and went for 2 days, and that's it. I never felt sick for a moment, so if I had it then whatever.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

The 5 days thing is gaslighting from the CDC because Delta Airlines complained to the Biden administration, HTH.

Could you link to more info about this?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Falcorum posted:

Blame the UK, they started openbiden as soon as possible so they could go on about the benefits of brexit, so other EU countries followed them right after. At least in Portugal people still seemed to be masking well into late last year, gently caress knows now that Summer temps are approaching though :shrug:

What is openbiden?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Koos Group posted:

What is openbiden?

Prematurely ending NPIs disabling and killing more people for the sake of the stock market.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:monocle: Shocker: Most deaths during the first year of the pandemic were among workers who catered to those who had the luxury of nestling inside.

quote:

Most working-age Americans who died of COVID-19 during the first year of the pandemic were so-called essential workers in labor, service and retail jobs that required on-site attendance and prolonged contact with others, according to a recently published study led by a University of South Florida epidemiologist.

The study looks back on COVID-19 deaths in 2020 and affirms what many had already known or suspected — that Americans who could not work from home and who labored in low-paying jobs with few or no benefits, such as paid sick leave and health insurance coverage, bore the brunt of deaths during the pandemic’s first year, said Jason Salemi, an associate professor in USF’s College of Public Health and co-author of the study.

Salemi said the finding, while perhaps expected, left him with two takeaways: That essential workers need more protections during an infectious disease pandemic, and that society’s desire to “return to normal” will mean different things for different people — with inequitable consequences.

“If I say I want things to return to normal, I’m in a position of advantage,” Salemi said. “I can work from home most days. I have access to a primary care physician, and paid sick leave. There are people in this study for whom that may not be the case.”

The study found:

▪ The death rate of low socioeconomic position adults — those whose education attainment level did not go beyond a high school diploma — was five times higher when compared to high socioeconomic position adults, and the mortality rate of intermediate socioeconomic position adults was two times higher.

▪ White women made up the largest population group considered high socioeconomic position. By comparison, nearly 60% of Hispanic men were in a low socioeconomic position.

▪ The death rate of low socioeconomic position Hispanic men was 27 times higher than high socioeconomic position white women.

Salemi said the finding that stood out for him was that among all 25- to 64-year-old adults in 2020, people in a low socioeconomic position made up about one-third of the working-age population but accounted for two-thirds of COVID-19 deaths for the same age group.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Koos Group posted:

Could you link to more info about this?
https://news.delta.com/sites/default/files/2021-12/delta-letter-to-cdc-december-21-2021.pdf — Dec. 21

quote:

With the rapid spread of the Omicron variant, the 10-day isolation for those who are fully vaccinated may significantly impact our workforce and operations. Similar to healthcare, police, fire, and public transportation workforces, the Omicron surge may exacerbate shortages and create significant disruptions.

[…]

To address the potential impact of the current isolation policy safely, we propose a 5-day isolation from symptom onset for those who experience a breakthrough infection. Individuals would be able to end isolation with an appropriate testing protocol. As part of this policy change, we would be interested to
partner with CDC and collect empirical data.

We look forward to continuing our partnership with the CDC to protect the health and safety of our people, customers and communities as the pandemic evolves.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/12/28/dr-fauci-cdcs-reduced-isolation-time-will-get-people-back-to-jobs.html — Dec. 28

quote:

“The reason is that with the sheer volume of new cases that we are having and that we expect to continue with omicron, one of the things we want to be careful of is that we don’t have so many people out,” Fauci told CNN’s Jim Acosta. “I mean, obviously if you have symptoms you should [be out], but if you are asymptomatic and you are infected we want to get people back to jobs — particularly those with essential jobs to keep our society running smoothly.”

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/28/1068587852/cdc-director-on-new-isolation-rules

quote:

WALENSKY: Well, you know, really, what we’re trying to do here is this confluence of events. This is the science that we have seen. And of course, there is a bit of transmission that still can occur in those last five days. But what we started to see over this last several days is what’s going to happen here with omicron, with a really large anticipated number of cases. And as we’ve seen that, we also want to make sure that we can keep the critical functions of society open and operating. We started to see challenges with that, you know, with airline flights and other areas. We started first with doing the health care workers last week to make sure that we could make - keep our hospitals functioning safely and open.

SHAPIRO: So I hear saying that while the science is a factor, the science isn’t operating in a vacuum. There are economic and societal concerns beyond just health and safety. Given that people can still shed the virus after five days, why not mandate masking or even require people to test negative before they end isolation?

WALENSKY: Yeah, I really am glad you asked that question. So of course, we can’t take science into a vacuum. We have to put science in the context of how it can be implemented in a functional society, so we always do that. Your question, though, is really important. And that is, you know, the vast majority of transmission happens in that first five days. And there’s probably a little bit that might happen after those five days, which is why we’ve really put in the strong recommendation to mask those last five days.

I mean sure you could say this is all coincidental and really they did this because The Science —during the worst of the Omicron wave—told them people weren’t infectious after five days.

If you believe that, I have oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 6, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

droll posted:

Because the probability of a person with omicron transmitting it to someone else in the same household is about 40% (or lower given vaccination).

Gio posted:

The Science —during the worst of the Omicron wave—told them people weren’t infectious after five days.

You are misrepresenting the Walensky quote, the point is that the benefit of isolation depends on how much of the population is infected. If (arbitrary numbers) someone without symptoms 5 days after a positive test has a 2% chance of being contagious, and 5% of the general population are contagious, it doesn't make sense for them to continue isolating.

Part of why there are strict isolation rules for tuberculosis is that there's almost no community transmission.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 6, 2022

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

James Garfield posted:

You are misrepresenting the Walensky quote, the point is that the benefit of isolation depends on how much of the population is infected. If (arbitrary numbers) someone without symptoms 5 days after a positive test has a 2% chance of being contagious, and 5% of the general population are contagious, it doesn't make sense for them to continue isolating.

Part of why there are strict isolation rules for tuberculosis is that there's almost no community transmission.
I’d assume you included “arbitrary numbers” there because you’re keenly aware that is massively understating the probability someone is infectious after 5 days of a positive test.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

James Garfield posted:

That's complete bullshit. Reducing exposure by continuing precautions reduces transmission regardless of what proportion of the population is currently infected. Throwing fire on fire just gives you a bigger fire. I get that no one gives a poo poo about reducing the size of outbreaks anymore, but this is a nonsensical justification either way.

It's extra bullshit in the context of advising people that leaving isolation after 5 days is safe advice on the individual level, because following that advice will be extra risk for the people closest to you (which is presumably the people you asking for).

(The CDC's own webpage estimates that 1/3rd of people are still contagious 5 days after symptom onset)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 6, 2022

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm happy to report that, here in Texas, the pandemic has been over since like a year ago, when people started getting vaccinated en masse. There has of course been the occasional wave, but people have learned to deal with them, for the most part. Most places are open, almost no venue requires masks, and there's no mask-shaming, at least not anymore. A bunch of my friends have gotten covid recently (the newest variant) and they were sick for a few days, and then recovered.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Stickman posted:

That's complete bullshit. Reducing exposure by continuing precautions reduces transmission regardless of what proportion of the population is currently infected.

This is an argument for isolating the entire population. Isolating the entire population is obviously not possible, so it doesn't figure into CDC guidelines.

Stickman posted:

It's extra bullshit in the context of advising people that leaving isolation after 5 days is safe advice on the individual level, because following that advice will be extra risk for the people closest to you (which is presumably the people you asking for).

CDC advice isn't targeted to individuals who want to minimize risk at all costs.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

James Garfield posted:

This is an argument for isolating the entire population. Isolating the entire population is obviously not possible, so it doesn't figure into CDC guidelines.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. If someone is infected and knows they are infected then that's very different information than a nebulous "x% of the population [out there] is infected, whatever fuckers". Hell, that x% should be isolating anyway, by CDC recommendation. It's just completely nonsensical and devoid of principle to choose your cutoff based on "well there lots of transmission going on, might as well contribute to it!"

James Garfield posted:

CDC advice isn't targeted to individuals who want to minimize risk at all costs.

It's and arbitrary rule that sends a third of infected people back out into society before they are no longer infectious (by the CDC's estimate, but of course the data is spotty because no one has bothered to get a better estimate). That's not "minimize at all costs", rear end in a top hat.

E: Even if you're going by the CDC's utterly inadequate principles of COVID control, they at least recommend increasing NPIs and control efforts as cases increase (via hospitalization increase). Arguing that it makes any sort of sense to decreasing them as cases increase is just :psyduck:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 6, 2022

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

I'm happy to report that, here in Texas, the pandemic has been over since like a year ago, when people started getting vaccinated en masse. There has of course been the occasional wave, but people have learned to deal with them, for the most part. Most places are open, almost no venue requires masks, and there's no mask-shaming, at least not anymore. A bunch of my friends have gotten covid recently (the newest variant) and they were sick for a few days, and then recovered.
:ughh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I think the implication is that that a pandemic level where it was seen as completely fine and normal to support sterilisation of shoes and tins of food upon re-entering a house where your kids have been locked away for months have passed by. That yes, people are getting sick and some even dying (alongside other preventable deaths such as obesity, smoking, adventure sports, etc) but the absolute quality of life destruction (through direct disease effects and the control measures required) that was in effect in the before vaccine times is behind us. Not light switch "we all lived happily ever after" but "the worst has happened and the effects will linger but life goes on".

Speaking of wishing all the strong NPI measures not going away, where are we at with monkey paw virus? It is starting to cause anxiety even here in W. Africa.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

James Garfield posted:

The only way it “makes sense” for the Centers for Disease Control to advise at least a third of infectious people back to work after five days (they’re not wearing masks, btw) is if you agree The Economy matters more than not exacerbating the spread of COVID.

Someone came in here asking for advice on how long their partner should isolate after testing positive. On an individual level, they (presumably) wanted to do the right thing and not spread COVID, or at least know—is it cool to spread a little COVID now, as a treat? (Not surprising why someone not religiously following this bullshit would be confused—sincerely.)

Iron Crowned correctly pointed out CDC guidance was gaslighting to appease CEOs, don’t go by it. Multiple people gave good advice on what to do.

Then Main Painframe unironically dolled out the CDC’s murderous guidance after multiple people said, “No that’s bullshit.” —guidance that was given because they didn’t think hospitals and airports could loving function specifically during Omicron, which wouldn’t even apply now.

It’s really no wonder that this person came here confused about how long they should quarantine because the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention’s guidance—along with their effectively ending masking and dismantling testing infrastructure—has signaled to everyone that, no, COVID is good and cool! You can spread it now, it’s no big deal.

e: fixed some grammatical poo poo

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 6, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Speaking of wishing all the strong NPI measures not going away, where are we at with monkey paw virus? It is starting to cause anxiety even here in W. Africa.

There are 24 confirmed cases so far in the US https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/world-map.html and it appears to be spreading significantly through sexual contact between gay, bisexual, or men who have sex with men. Monkeypox spreads through close contact, I recall reading a week or two ago that the R0 for monkeypox is less than 1, my understanding is it doesn't really have the potential to become a pandemic on the scale of COVID-19.

It's making news because it's a rare disease and unusual to cause an outbreak like this. Personally I'm a lot more worried about the ongoing COVID pandemic and how we prepare for the next pandemic respiratory disease (it's coming sooner or later) than I'm concerned about monkeypox. It's worth noting that monkeypox causes a rash which makes it easier to identify--there's far less risk of cases going undetected like there is with asymptomatic or mild COVID.

edit: the outbreak seems to have started at a sauna (a bathhouse or sex club) in Spain https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/spain-reports-14-new-confirmed-monkeypox-cases-total-21-2022-05-20/.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 6, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lol at bolding the first half of the "a bunch of my friends have gotten COVID recently" sentence, but not the more relevant second half ("and they were sick for a few days, and then recovered").

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Fritz the Horse posted:

There are 24 confirmed cases so far in the US https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/world-map.html and it appears to be spreading significantly through sexual contact between gay, bisexual, or men who have sex with men. Monkeypox spreads through close contact, I recall reading a week or two ago that the R0 for monkeypox is less than 1, my understanding is it doesn't really have the potential to become a pandemic on the scale of COVID-19.

It's making news because it's a rare disease and unusual to cause an outbreak like this. Personally I'm a lot more worried about the ongoing COVID pandemic and how we prepare for the next pandemic respiratory disease (it's coming sooner or later) than I'm concerned about monkeypox. It's worth noting that monkeypox causes a rash which makes it easier to identify--there's far less risk of cases going undetected like there is with asymptomatic or mild COVID.

edit: the outbreak seems to have started at a sauna (a bathhouse or sex club) in Spain https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/spain-reports-14-new-confirmed-monkeypox-cases-total-21-2022-05-20/.

To add to this, my understanding is that the old school smallpox vaccines are effective against monkeypox and are being used when there is known exposure or the start of an infection. The biggest reason this thing is spreading now is because outside of the military, smallpox vaccine hasn't really been used since 1980. So the entirety of the millennial and gen z populations are vulnerable, though older groups are largely immune, which will help reduce its spread.

Lager fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 6, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

There are 24 confirmed cases so far in the US https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/world-map.html and it appears to be spreading significantly through sexual contact between gay, bisexual, or men who have sex with men.

It's true that the cases have been disproportionately within the male gay community, but we need to be very wary of framing this as a gay disease, intentionally or not. Let's not repeat the mistakes we made with HIV/AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

spankmeister posted:

It's true that the cases have been disproportionately within the male gay community, but we need to be very wary of framing this as a gay disease, intentionally or not. Let's not repeat the mistakes we made with HIV/AIDS.
Instead, we can frame this as a “touching people” disease. In which case, I’m completely safe. :smug: