Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
did one of the twins always mug for the camera or is that new to this show? it's funny either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Holy smokes I just noticed that the arms dealer the cousins buy their vests from is Ryan McPoyle.

I generally don't share the disdain for the 'terminator twins' that some have, but that scene is maybe their most gratuitous moment. Like two hardened hitmen need to buy Kevlar vests from some hillbilly, let alone ask him if they really truly work. And then they don't even kill him in the end.

I have no memory of this. What show is this even from

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

VROOM VROOM posted:

I have no memory of this. What show is this even from

Breaking Bad, season 3, when they're coming to ABQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdlJ6UEcdM4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Why would they kill him? He gave them an excellent product at a great price and he stood by his quality guarantee.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Here's the thing about what the show decides to show and not show re: Lalo flying to Germany. The writers are making all this up out of whole cloth, so if they imagined something interesting happening as Lalo flies to Germany, they would have put it in the show. But instead they decided "no there's no story there so we're not going to show it and instead show stuff that is interesting and relevant to the story and characters", and as a bonus it will build suspense until Lalo does pop up again.

Think about the scene where Kim is lying in bed and can't sleep so she gets up and puts a chair under the door and nervously smokes and pretends to be working when Jimmy wakes up. There's a reason they decide to depict Kim on this particular night and not, say Clifford Main sleeping soundly in his bed.

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
I recommend the film "run ronnie run" to help fill these 6 weeks if any of you odengoons haven't watched it yet, movie rocks.
really early era saul stuff
I read somewhere that they felt the released movie was the worst version, which makes me wonder what awesome cut they're sitting on.
cause poo poo cracks me up

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ExtraQuiet posted:

I recommend the film "run ronnie run" to help fill these 6 weeks if any of you odengoons haven't watched it yet, movie rocks.
really early era saul stuff
I read somewhere that they felt the released movie was the worst version, which makes me wonder what awesome cut they're sitting on.
cause poo poo cracks me up

There's a section about this in his biography - it's not so much that there is a better version out there, but that Bob and David (I think he was involved too?) were left out of the editing process entirely. He clearly respects editing as an important process and thinks that in this case the editing probably made a (much) worse version of the movie than he thinks he could have achieved. I got the impression that he thinks even then it wouldn't have been great; what they really wanted to do was more of a skit-show movie in the Monty Pythonish style, but they got diverted early on into making a narrative piece.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Howard should have given the speech from Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just found out one of the twins was in an episode of Dexter before he was in Breaking Bad.

Also, they're going to be at Tampa comic-con and I kind of want to take a stupid picture with them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7fYefWReMA&t=300s

timestamp I dunno what i expected uncle hectors actual real normal speaking voice to be but it wasnt that!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

timestamp I dunno what i expected uncle hectors actual real normal speaking voice to be but it wasnt that!

Yeah, he's actually not Hispanic. Fun fact though, born in Philadelphia! 🦅

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He's also from Jane's family!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

beep by grandpa posted:

You should watch Oz. Slight spoilers, but I mean... c'mon, show is ancient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtduRh4b7ho

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Lalo disappears for three full episodes between deciding to not go across the border and appearing in Germany. This builds suspense and sets up that he's doing something important and time-consuming, while we get to see Gus and Mike pull out all the stops and stress the gently caress out about where he's gonna show up, and when he finally resurfaces, the audience can fill in the blanks quite easily.

We don't know exactly how he got to Germany, but we have been shown that he has access to fake identities that hold up against moderate scrutiny, that he is a millionaire, and that cartel guys generally have bugout bags containing cash and fake ID. It's not hard to fill in the blanks, and showing Lalo doing all of these rather mundane things would take up screentime and diminish the mystery.

The scenes we got showed that he was extraordinarily prepared in that he even had an unwitting body double who could be turned into a charred corpse with his dental records if he ever happened to need one, that his gut reaction was to just go kill Gus until Hector told him to be smart, and that he can be both a slick James Bond investigator and a cartel sociopath interrogator when he needs to be.

Those scenes all display how fuckin dangerous Lalo is, while a scene of him digging up a bag with a million in cash and a fake passport, or chattin up a swooning flight attendant while covering a newspaper that says "Eduardo Salamanca murdered, no longer on the radar of federal agents" with his thumbs, would not add anything to the story.
Ok just finished the last episode.

Lalo disappearing for three episodes and then teleporting into a German pub to immediately start chatting up a woman that's apparently supposed to be important didn't build any suspense for me. I didn't keep thinking "oh I wonder where Lalo is and where he could pop up! Is he hiding behind this door!?" for these three episodes, I just forgot about him. So it was just confusing, which is why I originally posted that, I thought I might've missed some scenes.

This show is more than happy to spend 10 minutes on masturbatory slow motion montages to establish a prop so dropping cinematic and storytelling conventions in this way was just jarring. This last episode actually demonstrates this perfectly: we see Lalo back in ABQ, where he's doing some recon (which doesn't really do anything plot-wise at least so far) and sees a cockroach. A bit later at Jimmy's place, we see the wind blow on the candle as Howard enters the apartment, and a bit later we see it again. Setup, anticipation, and payoff.

Human Tornada posted:

Here's the thing about what the show decides to show and not show re: Lalo flying to Germany. The writers are making all this up out of whole cloth, so if they imagined something interesting happening as Lalo flies to Germany, they would have put it in the show. But instead they decided "no there's no story there so we're not going to show it and instead show stuff that is interesting and relevant to the story and characters", and as a bonus it will build suspense until Lalo does pop up again.

Think about the scene where Kim is lying in bed and can't sleep so she gets up and puts a chair under the door and nervously smokes and pretends to be working when Jimmy wakes up. There's a reason they decide to depict Kim on this particular night and not, say Clifford Main sleeping soundly in his bed.
Well, I mean, exactly. They're making this up, is there really nothing interesting they could've come up with to connect the pieces? If they really just cut out pointless stuff, this show would've been 3 seasons long.

Bummer about Howard. Glad the writers aren't cowards that would rely on subtext though!

The whole scheme turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I get that it's just a plot device to show how they're assholes who'll make the wrong choice when presented an easy opportunity to do the right thing, so it had to work out perfectly. But it was set up over six episodes like some crazy maser plan, but turned out to be not particularly interesting and Howard, despite being a smart guy who was completely ware of it, posed no resistance. Howard confronts Jimmy? Doesn't change anything. Howard hires a PI? Well of course he's on Jimmy's payroll, what, did you think anything could challenge their plan? Even their only setback with a broken arm was fixed with the magic of five hundred bucks.

Probably doesn't help that by that point it was clear that Howard doesn't deserve it at all. I wonder when the writers intended for the audience to start turn on Kim & Jimmy. Because I've been on Team Howard for a while now, all this was like watching someone teasing a puppy or something.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
slowly realizing that lalo was talking to margarethe was an amazing scene

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Howard noticing Jimmy was loving with him and hiring a PI was the whole point of the plan.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Totally agree on The Plan being kind of a letdown. They spend seven episodes on it and turns out to be just a damaging prank that plays out exactly as they intended, while Howard demonstrates that he doesn't really deserve any of it. Chicanery and Wexler v Goodman were way more dramatic lawyer scenes where most of the setup happened in the actual episode or the one prior.

But the way I read it, that was never the narrative point of The Plan. The point of the storyline is that Kim and Jimmy are pulling off these pranks on undeserving targets while also getting involved with cartel poo poo. The setup wasn't leading to the conclusion "and then Howard embarassed himself and everyone else and the case was settled prematurely," it was setting up the inevitable collision of these two worlds. The execution part of Plan and Execution is the bomb that blows up the status quo, not the plan.

mobby_6kl posted:

we see Lalo back in ABQ, where he's doing some recon (which doesn't really do anything plot-wise at least so far)

Disagree on this, though. Lalo living in the sewers and only coming up for a couple hours to shower/eat/sleep at a truck stop (implying he spends 22 hours a day down there, watching) shows how committed and methodical he can be when needed. This is a one individual who has paralyzed every other major character that are all just waiting to see what he does next and hoping it's something they can survive. They need to establish why that fear is warranted.

Plus, he's got proof the Superlab exists, which is something Gus managed to keep hidden from both the DEA and the cartels. This establishes Lalo as the single greatest threat to the whole operation (except for Walt eventually getting in on it, of course).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Howard noticing Jimmy was loving with him and hiring a PI was the whole point of the plan.
Exactly, that's my point, everything is just part of the plan and it works perfectly. Jimmy & Kim are just such geniuses that foresee everything and Howard, despite being an intelligent guy, poses no threat to their plan. It's not very interesting.

It's like, I dunno, in Heat, the heist would go perfectly according to plan until they walk out of the bank. Then Al Pacino shows up, steps out of his car, and promptly falls down a manhole because De Niro removed the cover it in advance. Because he's such a master criminal.

I'm exaggerating obviously but I hope the point makes sense. Again this is probably because at this stage it was clear to me that they were way over the line, so there was no satisfaction or enjoyment in watching it whatsoever.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Disagree on this, though. Lalo living in the sewers and only coming up for a couple hours to shower/eat/sleep at a truck stop (implying he spends 22 hours a day down there, watching) shows how committed and methodical he can be when needed. This is a one individual who has paralyzed every other major character that are all just waiting to see what he does next and hoping it's something they can survive. They need to establish why that fear is warranted.

Plus, he's got proof the Superlab exists, which is something Gus managed to keep hidden from both the DEA and the cartels. This establishes Lalo as the single greatest threat to the whole operation (except for Walt eventually getting in on it, of course).
Eh yeah I guess. I don't think we'd miss much it was cut down by like 70% but fair enough, it's not completely useless. My main point was about the setup anyway.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Lalo killed Howard for having disrespected the chairman of the Pan-American Mustache Club.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
The plan worked perfectly, that’s why Howard is dead on their living room floor. What an underwhelming plan. Waste of 6 episodes.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm exaggerating obviously but I hope the point makes sense. Again this is probably because at this stage it was clear to me that they were way over the line, so there was no satisfaction or enjoyment in watching it whatsoever.

Watching the Plan go off is impressive but also, like, of course it works, who in their right mind would ever go to such effort to screw another person over. It's like shooting fish in a barrel really, an ordinary person like Hamlin can only take certain fairly predictable measures to defend themselves against obvious antagonism.

Chuck was the only one who could out-Jimmy Jimmy, by understanding the lengths he would go to and being willing to go just that bit further.

I guess everyone will plant their own stake but I think most people would rightly be on 'team Hamlin' heading into episode one of this season. I've been done by a grifter before to the tune of 600 bucks or so and I doubt it takes personal experience with such a lifestyle to be truly grossed out by how they scheme and giggle and make out on the couch because they're so drat clever and sexy. I enjoy watching them more than Walt's fully evolved Heisenberg but kim & jimmy are pretty disgusting humans now.

Long way of saying, if you didn't get satisfaction or enjoyment from the scene, well I think that's a perfectly valid and morally understandable viewing experience.

There are shades of grey that might mean more to some people, eg Hamlin convincing old lady that wheelchair was best, general disgust with the law/lawyers in general, the age/situation of the clients etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chadzok posted:

There are shades of grey that might mean more to some people, eg Hamlin convincing old lady that wheelchair was best, general disgust with the law/lawyers in general, the age/situation of the clients etc.

I still think it's pretty hilarious that they established that Howard planned to make Irene use the wheelchair well before the drugs took affect when he moved the conference room chair out of the way before the meeting.

His insistence at her doing this was completely his own idea and wasn't because he was in a drug induced rush to get to the meeting or something.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

TBF in-universe BCS Mike is what, mid 50s? He was still the grizzled pro hitman through the first half(?) of BB, so that's 4 or 5 years from where they are right now.

According to the BBwiki he's early 60s first appearance.

mobby_6kl posted:

The whole scheme turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I get that it's just a plot device to show how they're assholes who'll make the wrong choice when presented an easy opportunity to do the right thing, so it had to work out perfectly. But it was set up over six episodes like some crazy maser plan, but turned out to be not particularly interesting and Howard, despite being a smart guy who was completely ware of it, posed no resistance. Howard confronts Jimmy? Doesn't change anything. Howard hires a PI? Well of course he's on Jimmy's payroll, what, did you think anything could challenge their plan? Even their only setback with a broken arm was fixed with the magic of five hundred bucks.

The whole point of the plan was to exploit the fact that Howard is a smart guy and aware that its Jimmy who's loving with him.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Holy smokes I just noticed that the arms dealer the cousins buy their vests from is Ryan McPoyle.

I generally don't share the disdain for the 'terminator twins' that some have, but that scene is maybe their most gratuitous moment. Like two hardened hitmen need to buy Kevlar vests from some hillbilly, let alone ask him if they really truly work. And then they don't even kill him in the end.

The scene is as silly as any of the twins scenes, but I remember the way it calls attention to the vests doing a great job at ratcheting up the tension in their confrontation with Hank at the end of the episode. So it has a good payoff at least

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: poo poo I quoted the wrong post here originally.

Action Serious posted:

The plan worked perfectly, that’s why Howard is dead on their living room floor. What an underwhelming plan. Waste of 6 episodes.

I'm willing to let that one go as an act of god

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 6, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Did Gus pee on Liam McPoyle to get the vest we saw him wearing earlier?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Action Serious posted:

Yeah. The plan itself goes off without a hitch, but that just makes it more shocking when Lalo shows up

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

howard undermining their plan would also undermine the cruelty of the whole thing narratively. the point is that he's powerless against them

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

they in turn are powerless against Lalo. Always a bigger fish!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Then there's also the fact that the plan only works because Howard tried to outsmart them. If he'd simply ignored them then it wouldn't have amounted to much of anything.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The plan felt underwhelming once it's revealed that the magical drug was doing the heavy lifting. At that point give him LSD and it would be just as embarrassing.

And then the payoff is that Howard shows up at the same time as Lalo by pure coincidence. It was unsatisfying after all the build up imo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The plan felt underwhelming once it's revealed that the magical drug was doing the heavy lifting. At that point give him LSD and it would be just as embarrassing.
Is it magical? It's just concentrated caffeine to get his pupils to dilate like he's on coke, isn't it?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
are yall watching the show or your phones? it was horse cocaine

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah it was some kind of amphetamine that isn't tested for. or maybe ketamine.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you can drug him by handing him a damp piece of paper then the rest of the scheme is pointless. Just give him drugs and he'll act weird at the hearing, why bother with the country club and fake bribe? They didn't play on his character flaws like with Chuck or the Mesa Verde guy, they just drugged him so he freaked out. It's a court room super weapon but I predict it will never come up again.

It's not the worst plot point ever, but after 6 episodes of build up it felt like a let down.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's not just about acting weird at the hearing though. They wanted to key him up in a specific way so that he'd specifically torpedo his reputation and the sandpiper settlement by making fake accusations at the judge while planting evidence of a pattern of substance abuse.

A single isolated freakout that's not coupled with some kind of paranoid rant could probably be salvaged. Howard's in therapy maybe it was just a panic attack or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

precision posted:

yeah it was some kind of amphetamine that isn't tested for. or maybe ketamine.
Doesn't ketamine basically do the exact opposite of what they want, apart from making pupils dilate? Caffeine-sensitivity makes a lot more sense as something that modifies the effect of the drug if the drug is caffeine, or something similar.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If you can drug him by handing him a damp piece of paper then the rest of the scheme is pointless. Just give him drugs and he'll act weird at the hearing, why bother with the country club and fake bribe? They didn't play on his character flaws like with Chuck or the Mesa Verde guy, they just drugged him so he freaked out. It's a court room super weapon but I predict it will never come up again.

It's not the worst plot point ever, but after 6 episodes of build up it felt like a let down.
The drug alone would've just made him a more high strung/intense version of himself, the actual thing making him freak out was all the priming they had done up to that point. I think it's entirely possible he might have had a freakout even without the drug, the drug just made certain there was no chance he'd cool his jets and get the pictures first before slinging accusations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

if they gave him LSD that would be too obvious, the LSD would be easily traceable in his blood, and there would be a criminal investigation.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

loving lol