Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Magnetic North posted:

Complaints about (Unlock)

I've played all the Unlocks (except for the latest one made for kids) and it's telling that when you said the name of the one you played I didn't even remember that it was an Unlock game. There are some really good memorable ones, but clearly Insert Coin isn't one of them.

I quite like the Unlock games, far more than Exit. In Exit, the puzzles are frequently similar, or requiring weird leaps of logic that either leaving me and my partner confused as to how we were expected to know them, or having us know what the solution is, but not quite what the game wants us to do. Like, folding a piece of paper a certain way and looking at it to see a number. Some of them are quite good (we've also played all of those), but some really come up short. Especially the more linear ones where the 'story' is basically "You find a card on the ground (you solve the card) suddenly you find another card in the next room (you solve the card) then in the next room there's a card..." And the more destructive features of the series are frequently needless and feel like they've been inserted simply to prevent resale.

Anyway. Didn't mean to gripe about Exit.

Unlock's app integration can make for some really interesting puzzles and gimmicks, like one where you're wandering through a jungle using the app as a map, or one where the game starts with the timer at 0 and counts up, with events occurring at certain times, or letting you use it to solve a mystery, etc. And I quite like the less linear approach to puzzles, feeling more like an adventure game where you've got numerous things in your inventory and are thinking about where, in three rooms available, you can use them.

It's a shame the one you started with was so dull, though. And I absolutely do not recommend playing with more than 3 people. 2 is ideal, I find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Terra Mystica being reimplemented: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/364186/terra-nova

Unclear if this is done by the original designers or just a rehash by the publisher.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Morpheus posted:

And I quite like the less linear approach to puzzles, feeling more like an adventure game where you've got numerous things in your inventory and are thinking about where, in three rooms available, you can use them.

The one Exit I've played felt like that, and the one Unlock didn't. I hope they all have that sort of openness and/or mystery because it's the interweaving of the lateral thinking that is enjoyable, not simply a concatenation of them.

Also, based on the one Exit I played, I did not feel the destruction was just to prevent resale. It allowed for puzzles that you could not do without it. Now, maybe some big evil exec said, "You know this one-use-game trend that grogs are complaining about? What is we leaned in twice as hard and had the games self destruct? That will surely be profitable" but I imagine it was more like, "Yo, legacy games showed us that people will tolerate single use or short-run games and component destruction. Can we use that idea to do something cool and new?"

I am looking forward to trying more of these.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wow, that is dramatically stripped down.

I guess it makes some amount of sense; if you're going to sell Terra Mystica in a post-Gaia Project world, you probably want to move it in the opposite direction from GP. I could conceivably see it working, it will be interesting to see if nothing else.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aramoro posted:

Ken Hill is the production manager so I assume not him.

It is him. I’ve not been asked to keep it a secret since someone cares a lot about that apparently. He told me in a conversation we had. I’ve known him for nearly 40 years.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The passive aggression isn't helpful

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Mayveena posted:

It is him. I’ve not been asked to keep it a secret since someone cares a lot about that apparently. He told me in a conversation we had. I’ve known him for nearly 40 years.

Thanks for sharing! Sorry that your friend is dealing with this, I hope it works out in his favor.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

FirstAidKite posted:

Neither is assuming that someone who is sharing info did so without thinking it through first.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am jonesing for that Beyond the Sun expansion. I hope we still get it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Papes posted:

Neither is assuming that someone who is sharing info did so without thinking it through first.

There was no assumption made, it's literally what she posted lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

There was no assumption made, it's literally what she posted lol

I don't know what your issue is but you need to move on (no I'm not saying this as an IK, this is one of those times I wish I wasn't).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
sa confirmed for dead comedy forum

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Incredible..... NEver seen someone load a rhetorical gun and shoot themselves in the foot this quickly before

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Incredible..... NEver seen someone load a rhetorical gun and shoot themselves in the foot this quickly before

I don't think you understood what any of this conversation was actually about

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh gently caress off already

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Seriously dude, simmer down, no need to get aggro over a conversation like this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FirstAidKite posted:

Seriously dude, simmer down, no need to get aggro over a conversation like this.
You can stop insisting on getting in the last word and just take the L.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

You can stop insisting on getting in the last word and just take the L.

Take the l for what, this isn't even a fight

e: eh whatever. I don't think this was ever a fight. It wasn't my intention for anyone to see it as a fight. I didn't think my opinion would be so contentious. I already said that I think what mayveena did was wrong and why and if anyone sees that and thinks this is still some kind of fight then there's nothing I can do to change that. Sorry for any trouble.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 6, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Magnetic North posted:

The one Exit I've played felt like that, and the one Unlock didn't. I hope they all have that sort of openness and/or mystery because it's the interweaving of the lateral thinking that is enjoyable, not simply a concatenation of them.

Also, based on the one Exit I played, I did not feel the destruction was just to prevent resale. It allowed for puzzles that you could not do without it. Now, maybe some big evil exec said, "You know this one-use-game trend that grogs are complaining about? What is we leaned in twice as hard and had the games self destruct? That will surely be profitable" but I imagine it was more like, "Yo, legacy games showed us that people will tolerate single use or short-run games and component destruction. Can we use that idea to do something cool and new?"

I am looking forward to trying more of these.

I've played a few Exit games without destroying stuff, with the intention of giving it to my friends afterwards. When playing with that kind of mindset it's really easy to see how often you're asked to cut something up or fold something without any need to (mechanically or thematically). Sometimes it adds a lot to the experience though, but I've got a few sitting on my shelf that have been played but unaltered that say otherwise.

Me and my partner still get each one as it comes out though. Though some might be less than stellar, they're still a fun way to spend ~45 minutes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Take the l for what, this isn't even a fight

e: eh whatever. I don't think this was ever a fight. It wasn't my intention for anyone to see it as a fight. I didn't think my opinion would be so contentious. I already said that I think what mayveena did was wrong and why and if anyone sees that and thinks this is still some kind of fight then there's nothing I can do to change that. Sorry for any trouble.

eh I agree with you, but disagreeing with thread stars is a one way trip to a probe so...

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I've played a few Exit games without destroying stuff, with the intention of giving it to my friends afterwards. When playing with that kind of mindset it's really easy to see how often you're asked to cut something up or fold something without any need to (mechanically or thematically). Sometimes it adds a lot to the experience though, but I've got a few sitting on my shelf that have been played but unaltered that say otherwise.

Yeah, there has been a few great Exit gimmicks that required damage - some very memorable moments where you're about to do something you won't be able to undo, just hoping you've got the clue right. And also clearly some where the destruction was just for destruction's sake (and that you can avoid destroying without changing much); I wish they'd drop what is clearly a "must include destructive elements" design mandate.

quote:

Me and my partner still get each one as it comes out though. Though some might be less than stellar, they're still a fun way to spend ~45 minutes.

I'm in the same boat... Like... I don't know if I actually like most of these games, but I sure do keep buying them.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 6, 2022

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Really love the EXIT games. They're unique and fun and we do them infrequently enough that no one burns out on them. They're also cheap for what you get out of them. I agree that they need to start really innovating or changing things up a bit but like I said, we don't play them that often that I feel bored and almost all of them do something cool that makes everyone at the table go, "COOOOOOOOL".

I will say that at this point I am obsessive and examine the manual, promotional material, and inside/outside the box for any sort of irregularity or oddity. Fool me once EXIT...

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
My shower thought yesterday was about how when I first got into the hobby in 2009 I heard the team "engine builder" and thought the game someone was referring to was actually about building a car engine. They made Deck Building: The Deck Building Game where's my Engine Building: The Engine Building Game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Radioactive Toy posted:

where's my Engine Building: The Engine Building Game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/162007/steampunk-rally

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

drat, you're right.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

drat, you're right.

It's a lot of fun too although there wasn't enough variation for us in the base game. Maybe the expansion fixes that? Sold it before the expansion came out.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Radioactive Toy posted:

My shower thought yesterday was about how when I first got into the hobby in 2009 I heard the team "engine builder" and thought the game someone was referring to was actually about building a car engine. They made Deck Building: The Deck Building Game where's my Engine Building: The Engine Building Game.

There's also Point Salad, Ketchup Mechanism, Traitor Mechanic. Can't think of other really on-the-nose ones (maybe Take That? one of the "Roll/Role" pun names?)

Any others?

VV: Those are great!

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 6, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FulsomFrank posted:

Really love the EXIT games. They're unique and fun and we do them infrequently enough that no one burns out on them. They're also cheap for what you get out of them. I agree that they need to start really innovating or changing things up a bit but like I said, we don't play them that often that I feel bored and almost all of them do something cool that makes everyone at the table go, "COOOOOOOOL".

I will say that at this point I am obsessive and examine the manual, promotional material, and inside/outside the box for any sort of irregularity or oddity. Fool me once EXIT...

did the Wild West one. Is good, but not hard really at all. 3.5 stars is a lie

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PRADA SLUT posted:

did the Wild West one. Is good, but not hard really at all. 3.5 stars is a lie

I've got that sitting on my shelf ready to go right now!

As long as it isn't a cake-walk I'll be happy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

jmzero posted:

There's also Point Salad, Ketchup Mechanism, Traitor Mechanic. Can't think of other really on-the-nose ones (maybe Take That? one of the "Roll/Role" pun names?)

Any others?

I think Worker Placement is also a worker placement game.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Roland Wright, the roll-and-write.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Wanted to start doing some solitaire and 2-player board and card gaming so, after browsing the first few pages of the thread, picked up the Marvel Champion's card game core set. Unpacked it, popped out the cardboard bits, read the rules, don't feel any regrets yet so I'm enjoying the purchase thusfar. Thanks, thread.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Im not sure if this is the right thread:

War of the Ring players, what's the best trick for playing sauron? The person who taught me how to play didnt have me using the Stacking rule so I destroyed him with cartoonish armies with 15+ units on them.

Then I played with a different guy and found the stacking rule. And then my army got poo poo-slaughtered at Minas Tirith, and I rolled eyes and orbs and no mustering or army squares and aragorn kind of just conquered all of mordor while Frodo was smoking a bowl in edoras.

So it seems playing defensively works both ways. Having a big army matters less than having lots of elites, which matters the absolute most.

Also, do leaders and heroes like aragorn count as "army units" or is that just the orange and blue guys?

Minas Tirith/Gondor is, ironically enough, the least productive place to attack in War of the Ring, especially early on.

Sure, there are loads of VPs, but Gondor is fairly big, there are loads of units already in Osgiliath and Minas Tirith at the start of the game, and sieges hurt - they really loving hurt, if the defender has more than a few units in the stronghold. Also, Gondor is more than capable of fighting a war out of Dol Amroth, and there are some truly nasty Free Peoples cards protecting that area (especially cards that will just dump a bunch of units just before you hit a stronghold).

On the other hand, the Northeast corner of the board is extremely vulnerable. Single province strongholds; difficult to defend, you can attack and destroy the Free Peoples piecemeal. You can sweep up the Elves in their scattered strongohlds next - Lorien, is a prime target.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

psychopomp posted:

Wanted to start doing some solitaire and 2-player board and card gaming so, after browsing the first few pages of the thread, picked up the Marvel Champion's card game core set. Unpacked it, popped out the cardboard bits, read the rules, don't feel any regrets yet so I'm enjoying the purchase thusfar. Thanks, thread.

It's a great game. There's a thread for it (mostly) here.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How is Fedex in the US for y'all?? My copy of 1822MX has now gone to three Florida cities in two days, maybe it stopped for some Disneyworld entertainment, not sure. They have been horrific in the last few months. A friend had Golem take two weeks to get to her in Oregon. Wish there was something I could do about it, retailers ought to let you choose the carrier or something <grouch>

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

How is Fedex in the US for y'all?? My copy of 1822MX has now gone to three Florida cities in two days, maybe it stopped for some Disneyworld entertainment, not sure. They have been horrific in the last few months. A friend had Golem take two weeks to get to her in Oregon. Wish there was something I could do about it, retailers ought to let you choose the carrier or something <grouch>

Unsure about the US but while shipping in Canada is fairly prompt and on schedule as far as I'm used to, but I know personally that they are all MEGA-SUPER-DUPER SLAMMED constantly and always lately. Additionally, negotiations with the union for one of Canada's top-3 delivery companies are degrading, which is only going to make things worse.

Mayveena: do you like 22MX more than vanilla 22? I would be tempted to grab 22CA for the setting alone as well.

Don't think I will bite on any of the new AAG stuff right now. None of it really screams essential right now, which is unfortunate. Just need someone to officially announce they're producing The Old Prince so I can get excited for a professional release.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Mayveena posted:

I live in New England, and for at least the last 10 years, if not more, I have had trouble with FedEx. UPS is great and gets me my stuff on time, FedEx is always delaying, misdelivering, routing things back the way they came, or in more than one instance, losing packages. I don't understand how they compete, to be honest.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Viper915 posted:

I live in New England, and for at least the last 10 years, if not more, I have had trouble with FedEx.

fedex need to renew their contract with Charon

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FedEx is actually two companies, because they use a contractor for "FedEx Ground" and that contractor suuuucks. "Regular" FedEx, which you'll get (at a high cost) for any air delivery, is pretty good in that it has union employees, decent tracking, and actually processes insurance quickly. But FedEx Ground will lose (or steal) packages and if you try to fix things, FedEx customer support can't do much because everything is at arm's length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

FedEx is actually two companies, because they use a contractor for "FedEx Ground" and that contractor suuuucks. "Regular" FedEx, which you'll get (at a high cost) for any air delivery, is pretty good in that it has union employees, decent tracking, and actually processes insurance quickly. But FedEx Ground will lose (or steal) packages and if you try to fix things, FedEx customer support can't do much because everything is at arm's length.

this is almost "belongs in the OP" level of important information -- I had no idea