Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I think it's more the optics of administration toadies shouting MORE JOBS CREATED BY THAN ANYONE ELSE BUT GOD and WAGES RISING RISING RISING and NOTHING TO SEE HERE; KEEP IT MOVING and selectively citing rosy stats that rubs people the wrong way after they're paying double for gas and 50 percent more for groceries than they were a few years ago.

and that's leaving aside the insane increases in housing & some material goods other than energy & food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Lib and let die posted:

Cardi B was famously a supporter of Bernie Sanders in the 2020 primary. You would do well to consider what the motivations of high profile Bernie people convincing you Biden is presiding over an economic recession might be.

source ur quotes

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think anyone is even saying the economy is "good" right now. Biden himself has been saying there are "problems" and "people are hurting" for the last month or two.

But, the "certain metrics" aren't even showing it as good right now either. From January 2021 through about November 2021, wages were rising faster than inflation - which meant real wages were rising. But, that hasn't been the case for a months and real wages have been trending down since December 2021.

The consumer/public sentiment is basically the worst it has ever been despite the economic situation being nowhere near as bad as 2009 when you had 20+% unemployment, 10+% of people losing their houses, 1/3 of the stock market gone, a reduction in total jobs available month after month for almost a year, and mass unemployment for half a decade following it. Some people are pointing that out - that the perception is far worse than the actual specific damage and people were less pessimistic about a much worse actual economic calamity - but they aren't saying that it is "good."

My theory on this is that during the past 50ish years, and especially the 15 since the great recession, we have hollowed out the ability of a big fraction of the population to weather bad times and increased the reliance of the country on debt. So bad times show up sooner and last longer. Especially since the austerity hawks won the debate in 2008 based on a faulty excel spread sheet. If your past 15 years of existence have been somewhere between poverty and grinding precarity, a relatively small turn-down is going to feel a lot worse than a bigger turn-down when you are doing great. It is a very similar argument that others here are making across the income distribution, but instead across time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Cardi B also agreed with Nikki Minaj - who thought that the Covid vaccine would give your balls gigantism - and thinks that rich people pay too much in taxes in America, so she might not be a great source for scientific, medical, or economic information.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cardi B also agreed with Nikki Minaj - who thought that the Covid vaccine would give your balls gigantism - and thinks that rich people pay too much in taxes in America, so she might not be a great source for scientific, medical, or economic information.
The good news is that because the funding for COVID has been cut in favor of Ukraine, many people’s cousin’s boyfriends will no longer be able to afford the shots to get massive swollen balls.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

So she is the perfect example of an average American.

Cardi B tweeting about a recession is just an example of the "narrative" going mainstream.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good thing she’s a celebrity then

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
SCOTUS continues to suck rear end and will continue to suck rear end

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1533814206339891200

Hey, let's take people's lawsuit money to repay medicare. If only this were going to be the worst decision dropped today.

edit, turns out it was the worst of the day :unsmith:

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 6, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This decision seems to be good?

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1533816390209130496?s=21&t=ry72R0Al6DJu6T7Ow3hiTQ

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

it is actually good. color me surprised.

they also aren't releasing anything else today after this one. There are still 30 decisions to release.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

SCOTUS continues to suck rear end and will continue to suck rear end

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1533814206339891200

Hey, let's take people's lawsuit money to fund repay medicare. If only this were going to be the worst decision dropped today.

To be fair, the bankruptcy case is pretty clearly laid out in the law. The Supreme Court is just reaffirming the law because nobody had sued over it before. It just says that administrative bankruptcy is treated the same way as standard bankruptcy. It actually benefits people who have arbitration clauses in their contracts.

The second one is Medicaid and not Medicare. This case is somewhat ambiguous, because the statute does have a prohibition on collecting from certain sources of income, but it doesn't specify beyond certain third-party sources. This specific provision of the law is poorly written and not clearly defined. So, you can easily read either side and it seems like they basically lined up in the "if it doesn't explicitly say it, then it doesn't count" vs "the intent was clearly X, even if it doesn't explicitly say it" camps.

Sotomayor continues to be the best Justice and has gotten increasingly hostile towards the rest of the court in her dissents during the past year. This is the second time she has openly accused the other justices of dishonesty or being intentionally obtuse to twist the law in a dissent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oh boy. Fetterman has another new detail about his heart that he left out before.

Probably should have just dumped all of this at once instead of dripping it out over several weeks.

He is going to be hospitalized even longer than expected and still has not completely recovered his ability to speak quickly or engage in full conversations.

quote:

Fetterman, currently Pennsylvania’s lieutenant governor, responded Friday with a more expansive written statement, making clear that he “almost died” from the stroke, was still not fully recovered and had seen the error of not taking prescribed medication to treat his heart condition starting in 2017.

“I didn’t do what the doctor told me,” he wrote. “But I won’t make that mistake again.”

quote:

His ability to have conversations rapidly has not fully recovered, though he is improving and doctors still predict a full recovery.

This is obviously true, but is a pretty weak excuse for dripping it all out:

quote:

“We have no doctors on our campaign team,” said Rebecca Kirszner Katz, a senior adviser for the Fetterman campaign. “We have been learning about these conditions and explaining them in real time.”

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1533798657929125890

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

still has not completely recovered his ability to speak quickly or engage in full conversations.

At least we have ample evidence that this is not a disqualification for being a Senator, he's just getting there ahead of schedule

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Oh boy. Fetterman has another new detail about his heart that he left out before.

Probably should have just dumped all of this at once instead of dripping it out over several weeks.

He is going to be hospitalized even longer than expected and still has not completely recovered his ability to speak quickly or engage in full conversations.

This is obviously true, but is a pretty weak excuse for dripping it all out:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1533798657929125890
The Senate is filled with old/senile lich lords, but the media is razor-focused on Fetterman. His age alone gives him a much better prognosis on all of his health issues.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol they don't give a poo poo they just want to punch left. This is all we'll hear about this until the election.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

cat botherer posted:

The Senate is filled with old/senile lich lords, but the media is razor-focused on Fetterman. His age alone gives him a much better prognosis on all of his health issues.

Yeah, if anything he's even more qualified now to join the senate and its cohort of melting brains propped up by staffers and drugs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lol they don't give a poo poo they just want to punch left. This is all we'll hear about this until the election.
Bingo

The entire race is probably going to end up about his health now and not actual policy positions

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The only thing Sorkinite liberals love more than tut tutting good policy is watching a candidate they perceive as leftist lose to a fascist so they can smugly talk about how much they told you so. If they can actively help said candidate lose, even better.

Lamb supporters are genuinely excited about Fetterman's health issues and they'll never shut up about it. There will be "we're thankful for senator fetterman but wouldn't a healthier senator lamb be better for America?" opeds if Fett wins.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

This also seems like good news, but I am not sure what impact it ultimately will have

https://twitter.com/alizaidi46/status/1533809985540456448

Get yourself a heat pump if you don't have one. they're great.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This also seems like good news, but I am not sure what impact it ultimately will have

That is very good news for people looking to buy/install solar.

But, ironically, the American solar manufacturing companies hate this because the reason the import controls were established was because China was suspected of violating trade rules to subsidize their solar panel manufacturers to drive U.S. companies out of business. This is basically giving China/anybody who wants to buy from them a 2-year waiver to do so while the compliant still goes through the process.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am ignorant of the DPA other than what I've read/heard about it since Trump's EO on ventilators etc. since and what I've just read on Wiki, but it seems like it's been invoked a lot over the last couple years--much more frequently than it has in the past. Considering nearly anything involving the economy could be construed as a "national security interest," are we likely to continue to see invocations of the DPA as a way of "correcting" the market?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

TipTow posted:

... are we likely to continue to see invocations of the DPA as a way of "correcting" the market?

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: fuuuuuuck yes you are. and by "correcting" I hope you mean grifting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Use of the DPA will continue until we've recovered from every supply chain exploding in early 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mass shootings are happening so often in the U.S. that they are having to condense a dozen different mass shootings into a single news story about them to get the article out before the next shooting happens.

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1533818550418296834

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: fuuuuuuck yes you are. and by "correcting" I hope you mean grifting.

No, by "correcting" I meant "'the market' is loving dumb and does not, in fact, allocate resources efficiently or effectively'" but the grifting inference definitely works too, sure

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bingo

The entire race is probably going to end up about his health now and not actual policy positions

His health is pretty important lol. This isn’t him having a heart attack and getting a stent placed, leaving cognitive abilities intact… they admit to lasting significant cognitive deficits, and that’s with favorable spin.

I think the guy is okay and would still probably vote for him but having a stroke like this at 53, with a history of poor treatment compliance, doesn’t bode well for his future

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

His health is pretty important lol. This isn’t him having a heart attack and getting a stent placed, leaving cognitive abilities intact… they admit to lasting significant cognitive deficits, and that’s with favorable spin.

I think the guy is okay and would still probably vote for him but having a stroke like this at 53, with a history of poor treatment compliance, doesn’t bode well for his future

So? We just elected the two oldest Presidents in US history consecutively. Our Speaker of the House is loving 82 years old. The last President obviously faked his own health checkups by hiring the real life equivalent of Dr. Nick from the Simpsons. No one gives a poo poo about a politician's health and anyone saying they care about Fetterman's health as it pertains to the question of "should he run for Office?" is immediately suspect.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yes, but normally when candidates fall ill during a race the party does their best to get the corpse across the finish line and then figure out the details since it's still winning the race and helps them out. News articles about how Democrat leadership are worried about his health are the exact thing you don't want as a party if your goal is to win a race. Now's the time for leadership to shut up and support the party candidate.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

That is very good news for people looking to buy/install solar.

As an aside solar sales people are some of the most aggressive I've ever encountered. Probably #1 reason I've held off on getting a setup done because I want to gouge my eyes out every time I try to do research.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

So? We just elected the two oldest Presidents in US history consecutively. Our Speaker of the House is loving 82 years old. The last President obviously faked his own health checkups by hiring the real life equivalent of Dr. Nick from the Simpsons. No one gives a poo poo about a politician's health and anyone saying they care about Fetterman's health as it pertains to the question of "should he run for Office?" is immediately suspect.

You're absolutely right that anyone who claims to give a poo poo is suspect, but this is still "other people did worse." It'd be a sincere concern in a country even a little less evil and dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The CRT and LGBT school panic issue has cascaded into new grounds.

Now, schools are rejecting money for mental health services for students and dismantling existing student mental health services out of fear that they erode "parental rights" and might advise their kids to become gay or cause anxiety over their race.

It's a long and detailed article, but pretty bonkers.

The woman whose own daughter is clinically depressed and trying to find treatment that will take her insurance is still against it because she would rather not have her daughter get treatment than "erode parental rights" in school.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1533841281088102400

quote:

A Mental Health Clinic in School? No, Thanks, Says the School Board

KILLINGLY, Conn. — One evening in March, a high school senior named Sydney Zicolella stood before the school board in this rural, blue-collar Connecticut town and described her psychiatric history, beginning in the sixth grade, when she was “by definition, clinically depressed.”

Ms. Zicolella, 17, who wore her dark, curly hair pulled back, is the third of four children in a devout Christian family, and the editor of the newspaper at Killingly High School.

Many students there were struggling, she told the board. She had seen kids “walked, carried and cradled out of counseling, hysterical, not wanting to go to the hospital, but also not wanting to be sad anymore.”

It was not uncommon, she said, for friends to “disappear for months, only to find out that they had been at a mental health hospital right down the road to my house.” She urged the board to approve the placement of a mental health clinic in the school, part of a push by the state of Connecticut to dramatically expand access to care for teenagers.

Convincing the board was a long shot, she knew that. Her own mother, Lisa, 49, who, by her own account, grew up in “the generation of toughing things out,” didn’t support the clinic.

It wasn’t that Lisa entirely disapproved of therapy — when Sydney was in crisis, she scoured northeastern Connecticut in search of a therapist who would take her insurance — but she feared school-based therapists would end up advising teens on matters like gender identity or birth control, which she felt belonged firmly in the grip of parents.

“I do personally believe there’s a lot of agendas out there,” Lisa said. “And children are very malleable.”

This debate has divided Killingly, and its families, since January, when Robert J. Angeli, the superintendent of schools, presented a plan to open a state-funded mental health clinic in the high school.

Legislation to expand Connecticut’s network of school-based clinics had sailed through the legislature, passing the House by a vote of 143 to 4. When Mr. Angeli presented the plan before the town’s Board of Education, though, it ran into a solid wall of resistance, mostly on the grounds that it infringed on the rights of parents.

In March, Killingly’s board members rejected the plan by a vote of 6 to 3. After that, dozens of supporters of the clinic filed a complaint with Connecticut’s Board of Education, asking the state to “investigate and take corrective action.”

Since then, Killingly’s school board meetings have become a battleground for competing views on mental health, exposing divisions that are both partisan and generational. Teenagers have picketed on the well-manicured town common, where petunias grow around a memorial to the Civil War dead, with signs reading “14.7 PERCENT HAVE MADE A SUICIDE PLAN” and “TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH.”

Standoffs like the one in Killingly are being watched apprehensively by mental health advocates. During the pandemic, the mental health of children shot to the top of the agenda for both political parties. School-based services, which studies suggest can significantly decrease suicidal behavior and substance abuse, have emerged as a first-line policy response.

Over the last year, legislators in more than 30 states have considered an expansion of school-based services, according to Inseparable, a mental health policy group, and eight states, including Connecticut, have passed legislation to do so. Before the services reach students, though, they must be embraced by American communities.

In Connecticut, which already has more than 100 school-based health clinics, Killingly is an outlier. But lawmakers and conservative activists have targeted mental health curriculum in several states, often taking aim at social and emotional learning programs, known as SEL, which train students to manage emotions and practice conflict resolution. Lawmakers in Indiana and Oklahoma have put forward bills that would limit the use of SEL in the classroom.

On the January evening when the superintendent introduced staff from Generations Family Health Center, the nonprofit health care group that was to provide services in the school, the visitors peered out of Zoom screens with cheery smiles.

The plan was for licensed therapists from Generations to work in a space on the school’s third floor. Students could be referred by teachers or family members, or could come in themselves, and therapy sessions would be scheduled during school hours. Therapists would bill insurance based on a sliding fee scale, using federal funds if necessary, so there would be no cost to the school and little, if any, to the families.

Then a chill entered the room as the board members began peppering them with questions. The visitors’ smiles faded.

Would they advise students on birth control or abortion? (They wouldn’t give medical advice, but might discuss if it comes up.) If children were referred and didn’t want therapy, would they be forced to do it? (No.) Would students be seen by peers going into treatment, exposing them to ridicule and stigma? (Hopefully not.) Could they get therapy without their parents knowing about it?

Conceivably, yes, was the answer. By law, clinicians in Connecticut can provide six sessions of mental health treatment to minors without parental consent under a narrow set of circumstances — if the minor sought treatment, it was deemed clinically necessary and if requiring parental notification would deter the minor from receiving it.

This provision is used rarely; in the nearby town of Putnam, which has hosted a school-based mental health clinic for nine years, treating hundreds of students, no child has ever been treated without parental permission, said Michael Morrill, a Putnam school board member.

But it was a major sticking point for Norm Ferron, one of the Killingly board members, who said the arrangement would “give a student a lot more access to counseling without seeking parental approval, and I’m not real keen on that.”

Another board member, Jason Muscara, said he had already heard enough to make his mind up.

“I am not going to make it easier for kids to go around their parents,” he said. “I don’t think we should be helping a kid to walk into a mental health facility in a school and say, ‘I’m thinking about an abortion, let’s talk about that,’ without the parents knowing, for up to six visits.”

Killingly’s school board, swept up in the culture wars of the Trump era, has repeatedly cast itself as a bulwark against liberalism and government intrusion. Several of its members were elected in 2020, amid popular outrage over a decision to retire the school’s mascot, the Redmen, at the urging of a student group who said it was offensive. After the election, the new board voted 5 to 4 to reinstate the mascot.

The proposed mental health clinic has reopened those divisions, this time around psychotherapy and the values it might instill.

At one meeting, a school board member said that, years ago, a therapist had “meddled with my teenaged son’s mind, because at that age they are most vulnerable and they want someone to talk to.” A local man got up to say that “our modern-day psychology is rooted in occultism,” noting that Sigmund Freud used drugs while writing his thesis and Karl Jung channeled spirit guides.

Their wariness has resonated with some people in this community.

Gerry Golob, 33, a house painter, said his view of psychiatry was shaped when his mother was committed to a state mental hospital, where “they just drug people up.” Plenty of people in Killingly receive mental health treatment, he said — he called the town “a walking pharmaceutical clinic” — but he doesn’t want his children exposed to it. If a clinic were placed in the school, he said, “I would remove my kids instantly.”

The vehemence of the opposition to the clinic has come as a shock to Chris Viens, 49, one of three board members who has supported the idea. He said he expected “a little bit of pushback” but “really wasn’t prepared for the idea that we were going to have this long, drawn-out experience.”

“It almost seems like there’s a fear that something about their belief system is under attack,” Mr. Viens said in an interview, adding that he was offering his views as a citizen, rather than a board member. “They seem to think that they have to stop it here. It’s almost like this line you don’t cross.”

The superintendent, Mr. Angeli, and other members of the school board declined to comment for this article.

On the night in March when the Board of Education voted down the mental health center, Ms. Zicolella was at work, at a Mexican restaurant in Dayville.

A mother from the school came up to the cash register, told her about the vote and burst into tears.

“It was crazy, it made such an outpouring of emotion,” Ms. Zicolella said.

For Sydney and her close friends, mental health was a frank topic of discussion. Many of them had struggled after a series of deaths in the school community when they were seventh-graders, she said. In high school, she was diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder.

“Knowing what is going on in your head — being able to call it something official — helps you cope with those things,” she said. By the time they were seniors, her classmates were open about their diagnoses and treatments. “We do consider it part of our identity,” she said.

Jen Simpson, 28, said she listens to teenage customers who come in to her salon, BeautyHaus, and is startled by their sophisticated discussion of anxiety and trauma, a vocabulary she assumes they have picked up from social media.

Teenagers here have always coped with what she called “home life problems,” especially poverty and addiction, she said, but as recently as a decade ago, when she was in high school, mental health was a “taboo” subject.

“I get prom girls coming in for spray tans, and I’m just like, these are a whole different breed of person,” she said — knowledgeable, but also, sometimes, fragile. “The amount of people I see with marks from self-harming, it breaks my heart.”

A state working group listed public schools in Killingly among the 157 schools with the highest unmet needs in the state.

A 2021 survey of Killingly students conducted by the Southeastern Regional Action Council, a mental health policy group, found that 28.2 percent had thought about self-harm, and 14.7 percent reported making a plan for suicide. Though the response rate was low, at 42 percent, the results line up with findings from other communities, said Angela Rae Duhaime, the council’s associate director.

At moments, some board members have cast doubt on those findings. “How do you know they were honest responses? They were dealing with kids,” the board’s chairwoman, Janice Joly,
said at a board meeting in March, in remarks that were later televised. In the outcry that followed, Ms. Joly resigned from the board.

Killingly, with a population of around 18,000, is a blue-collar, predominantly white former mill town, where, for decades, substance abuse and suicide were topics addressed by priests or pastors, if they were addressed at all. That approach has failed older generations, said Alyssah Yater, 17, another senior who has advocated in favor of the clinic.

“People like to say that kids these days are so sensitive, but I think the older generations struggled with mental illness but they didn’t get help,” she said. “I think that’s really dangerous. If you try to ignore it, or tell someone to shove it down, then one day, they’re just going to snap.”

At the school newspaper, Ms. Zicolella conducted a poll, and found that the clinic enjoyed nearly universal support. She was pleasantly surprised to see which students showed up at the protest on the issue, because they seemed to range across the political spectrum.

“In the beginning it was hard for us to talk about,” Ms. Zicolella said. “But once students heard about this problem, this mental health stigma being passed around in our town, we were like, hold on, why are we treating this like it’s taboo when it’s not?”

As the spring went on, the emotional tenor of the school board meetings seemed to ratchet up even higher, with a procession of students and parents signing up to make public appeals in favor of the clinic.

In late May, a local real estate agent, Judith Cournoyer, stepped up to the podium and carefully set down a black box. It contained the ashes of her son, who was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder in early adulthood.

Her voice shaking, she described patients she saw while visiting him on locked wards — young people bearing scars from self-harm, emaciated, or “slithering on the floor.”

“I only came to tell my story in hopes that the Board of Education will listen,” she said. “I’m here to ask the powers that be, pay attention. There is an urgent need for mental health in the school.” One board member, a supporter of the clinic, wiped away tears.

With summer around the corner, the community was at a stalemate, with both sides waiting for the state to weigh in.

Advocates of the clinic have argued that Killingly’s needs are “especially extreme,” and that its board has persistently rejected additional services, imposing “its own extreme political views in a way that undermines the educational interest of the State.”

The board has responded, through its legal team, that the school already offers an array of resources for student mental health, and that communities cannot be forced to accept a school-based mental health clinic if they do not want one.

“By design, our education statutes have conferred on elected local officials the discretion to make such decisions,” the board’s response reads.

The state’s recommendation is expected in the coming weeks.

By then, Sydney Zicolella will have graduated, headed for a community college, and from there, she hopes, to a four-year degree and a career in journalism.

The March night she spoke at the school board, putting it all out there, had taught her a lot.

She could tell from the reaction of some of the school board members that nothing she had said that night had gotten through. Possibly, in the months since then, she had managed to open her mother’s mind a little; but her father hadn’t budged.

The experience, she said, has “definitely skewed my perspective on a lot of things having to do with adults and authority figures in my town.” Certainly it colored the way she sees Killingly. She brightened a little when she considered the future, when, as she put it, “teens my age turn into adults, and go into places of power in politics.”

“Things are going to look a lot different,” she said.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yes, but normally when candidates fall ill during a race the party does their best to get the corpse across the finish line and then figure out the details since it's still winning the race and helps them out. News articles about how Democrat leadership are worried about his health are the exact thing you don't want as a party if your goal is to win a race. Now's the time for leadership to shut up and support the party candidate.

Everyone in leadership in the article said they support him and aren't concerned. The only people who expressed concern were two consultants and a state legislator who said they were worried that Fetterman keeping this a secret for weeks and dripping the details out over time would erode his "transparent and straight talking image" with voters.

The doctor from Harvard they quoted is the only one concerned for his life because he hasn't followed doctors' orders historically and it is life-threatening if he doesn't make lifestyle changes and take medication. But, he should be fine if he does that. I think even people who hate the doctor and love twinkies will recognize that they need to listen at this point. Especially since it is public now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The CRT and LGBT school panic issue has cascaded into new grounds.

Now, schools are rejecting money for mental health services for students and dismantling existing student mental health services out of fear that they erode "parental rights" and might advise their kids to become gay or cause anxiety over their race.

It's a long and detailed article, but pretty bonkers.

White fragility is going to destroy everything.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jaxyon posted:

As an aside solar sales people are some of the most aggressive I've ever encountered. Probably #1 reason I've held off on getting a setup done because I want to gouge my eyes out every time I try to do research.

A solar company out of Utah hires almost exclusively Mormons because they’re used to going door to door and getting it slammed in their faces

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jaxyon posted:

The weirdest thing is: what do these people imagine goes on during mental health treatment?

"Oh, you're suffering from anxiety? Well, just throwing it out there, but: have you considered being gay? Or, if that's not for you, how 'bout a sex change? Either way, you should feel horrible about being white, that's really step one."

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

PT6A posted:

The weirdest thing is: what do these people imagine goes on during mental health treatment?

"Oh, you're suffering from anxiety? Well, just throwing it out there, but: have you considered being gay? Or, if that's not for you, how 'bout a sex change? Either way, you should feel horrible about being white, that's really step one."

What they are trying to destroy is the hint of a right-to-privacy for children and an institution that doesn't defer to parental authority in all cases. The ideology explains the actions.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Beastie posted:

A solar company out of Utah hires almost exclusively Mormons because they’re used to going door to door and getting it slammed in their faces

You really think that's the reason?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

Whelp, sertraline and escitalopram both did nothing. What are your plans for pride?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

The dipshit that basically invented CRT as a fascist boogeyman openly admitted on twitter that CRT is a meaningless umbrella term for all their fascist grievances, and it was so by design.

As always, fascists demonstrate that they don't have beliefs, only prejudices and anything they ever do or say is purely a tactic to hurt people they hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The actual reason that solar power salespeople go door to door and are so aggressive is that, starting with the 2009 stimulus bill, the government would cover the upfront cost of panels with either a total grant or a 0% interest loan.

Part of the agreement that the companies made was that the customer would give some of the electricity generated to the solar company for X years.

So, every single sale was something that cost the company basically nothing and could generate a decent amount of revenue over 5, 10, or 15 years. They put together huge sales teams and paid them via commission, so the salespeople needed to close deals as fast as possible and they would get a good chunk of money for each sale.

Since there was usually no or little upfront cost to the customer, they figured that investing in door to door sales would be worth it because the average person isn't going to call a solar installation company on a whim and there were no retail stores for them to walk in to. But, if you tell them there is no upfront cost, then they are likely to be open to direct sales.