Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

imagine a GE except everyone loses

Feel like that's been every election of my life time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
if he does go this'll be the third successive tory administration that couldn't make it to the three year mark; incredible statistic.

they quite literally cannot physically occupy the offices of state long enough to maintain a functioning government.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This is naked sabre-rattling at the at-risk MPs to vote for him, not a real threat.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Is it ever a viable strategy for a PM to smuggle in a vonc against themselves that they know they would win, just for the optics of getting easy approval?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Surely Doc Brown could have gotten into his Delorian, went back in time and fixed this before it became a problem?

Also if one subscribes to the idea that the media has tons of dirt on Bojo that they ate sitting on, wouldn't it stand to reason that releasing it now, just before the VONC but not so far as a spin to defend it could be released.

Maybe done around 18.00?

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 6, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

josh04 posted:

This is naked sabre-rattling at the at-risk MPs to vote for him, not a real threat.

If he loses, is there any reason not to follow through out of spite?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reveilled posted:

No. I don't think Johnson will return to the back benches, either; if he gets VONCed successfully then he'll announce that he's standing down.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Deketh posted:

Is it ever a viable strategy for a PM to smuggle in a vonc against themselves that they know they would win, just for the optics of getting easy approval?

yes, you can spike a vote by having your supporters put in letters so it's called before your opponents have had time to properly lobby their peers. given that pre-jubilee everything sounded a bit lukewarm and it suddenly went to 11 over the weekend, that may have happened here.

edit: flip side to this is jubilee is a natural time for plotters as the pm and other cabinet loyalists will have their diaries block booked with events limiting the amount of time they can spend fighting the fires you're setting

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 6, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Time for some good news amidst the sea of pessimism

https://twitter.com/ththighland/status/1533750963860799494?s=20&t=kwHuHq9gwUXx816taUuSfQ

For you sassenachs, can get BBC Alba if you have satellite TV or Virgin. If not, it'll be on the iPlayer. Might go along to watch the MacTavish Cup Final live myself.

This is anti english racism, they broadcast shinty but not the shin kicking world championships are GLOURIS ENGLIDN SPORT

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Rustybear posted:

yes, you can spike a vote by having your supporters put in letters so it's called before your opponents have had time to properly lobby their peers. given that pre-jubilee everything sounded a bit lukewarm and it suddenly went to 11 over the weekend, that may have happened here.

Yeah interesting, I did think the whole issue had cooled way down before this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Surely Doc Brown could have gotten into his Delorian, went back in time and fixed this before it became a problem?
He ended up embroiled in a cocaine sting while he was wandering around Belfast asking people what flags they use.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
so we still pronouncing it "vonk" right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why would you pronounce it any other way?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DesperateDan posted:

so we still pronouncing it "vonk" right?

brb setting up an online store to sell HONK IF YOU VONC bumper stickers

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Reveilled posted:

if he loses it's his only shot at remaining pm so it seems near certainty?

the mother of all 'men in grey suits' meetings will take place in no.10 where they try to talk him out of it i guess

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

edit: flip side to this is jubilee is a natural time for plotters as the pm and other cabinet loyalists will have their diaries block booked with events limiting the amount of time they can spend fighting the fires you're setting

The flip side is that during the Jubbly they reportedly went back to their constituencies and may have had the ear of the local tory parties pointing out that Boris Johnson is currently as popular as Prince Andrew

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The vonce nonce.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
issuing correction on a previous report of mine, regarding the BBC Radio schedule. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta put a bangin nonce on it"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I looked up shinty and it seems to have a lot of just hitting each other in the ankles with the sticks, which I approve of.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rustybear posted:

if he loses it's his only shot at remaining pm so it seems near certainty?

If he loses the VONC he has no hope of remaining PM as he can't run in the next leadership election. It would purely be to spite the party, by forcing them to either fight a GE without a leader or fight it with him as interim leader. Either they get crushed and Boris gets his vengeance - and as I said, he'll probably stand down so he won't lose anything himself - or they win and become the party that won an election and kicked out the person who won it for them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

So I looked up shinty and it seems to have a lot of just hitting each other in the ankles with the sticks, which I approve of.

Getting kicked off the boat after calls for a song ended with me beating them with sticks

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I hadn't realised that the tories repealed the Fixed Term Parliaments Act.

Go on BloJo, really gently caress your cunty party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh gently caress I forgot about that lmao, if they hadn't then they would have been able to stop him by just voting against it lol.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
May carried on for months after winning her vonc right?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Tesseraction posted:

wait what, when did that happen??

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Back in March they did it. It was only brought in to stop the Libs triggering a GE during the coalition years, and now they had a supermajority government it was just an inconvenient restriction on them taking advantage of circumstances.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jedit posted:

If he loses the VONC he has no hope of remaining PM as he can't run in the next leadership election. It would purely be to spite the party, by forcing them to either fight a GE without a leader or fight it with him as interim leader. Either they get crushed and Boris gets his vengeance - and as I said, he'll probably stand down so he won't lose anything himself - or they win and become the party that won an election and kicked out the person who won it for them.

if he calls a genuine snap election they'll have to fight it with him as interim leader and if he then wins that GE are they really going to boot him?

getting deep into the weeds of process now but if he loses then he is still caretaker PM until the next leader is selected and a GE is called by royal perogative at the request of the PM of the day; it would be down to brenda to reject it which in itself is a constitutional crisis

i know it's mad but this is the giant brains that illegally prorogued parliament and tried to get owen patterson off by collapsing the standards committee so no scheme is too hare-brained

he'll win so it wont come to pass but it's fun to game it out while we wait

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Back in March they did it. It was only brought in to stop the Libs triggering a GE during the coalition years, and now they had a supermajority government it was just an inconvenient restriction on them taking advantage of circumstances.
The sooner we get more things that are outside the scope of the government or Parliament to just repeal when convenient the better.

Like technically nothing is but something like PR/STV is unlikely to produce a legislature that just wants it gone (but in the same way FPTP is unlikely to produce a legislature that wants it without extraparliamentary agreements).

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Vonc if you're horny!!!

Hope no one's made this joke yet

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rustybear posted:

if he calls a genuine snap election they'll have to fight it with him as interim leader and if he then wins that GE are they really going to boot him?

They would already have booted him, that's the point. Once he's VONCed he's got no way to remain leader other than there to be zero candidates in the leadership election. That's not impossible, of course, but it would require every single Tory MP to turn down an open goal shot to become Prime Minister.

Also it would be a complete and public humiliation for the entire party that they had voted out their last leader when 1) he was popular enough to win a GE and 2) they had no replacement lined up. They started this; they are bound to finish it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rustybear posted:

if he does go this'll be the third successive tory administration that couldn't make it to the three year mark; incredible statistic.

they quite literally cannot physically occupy the offices of state long enough to maintain a functioning government.
Feel like that's by design though. Normally the election cycle is that the conservatives get in, act like shits, sell everything off, and then labour swoop in as the 'good' guys, being all sensible and responsible, only to turn out to be just as poo poo (because even if the money goes toward paying off the tories national debt, it's still austerity and they haven't really fixed anything), and then the conservatives get in promising they're different guys and it's fine now.

What they've managed to do is remove labour from that loop by loading all the bad stuff onto one conservative and then firing them, shunting the loop straight to the 'we're different guys now' step, and it would be wrong to have an election during [insert tory manufactured crisis, or if they're lucky an actual one like ukraine], and the important thing is that the press and public have such nonexistent memories, they not only buy it but agressively sell it in the deluded belief that this is how we get back to a point where politics happens in the background and they don't have to pay any attention to it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I wonder if Johnson's lack of principle might authentically work against him here; for any other Prime Minister it would be unimaginable that someone who has lost the confidence of their own party would attempt to dare the same party to force an unfavourable general election in the Commons. But it seems... only too imaginable for Johnson? And that possibility undermines the apparent certainty of an unfavourable general election should the ballot pass.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jedit posted:

They would already have booted him, that's the point. Once he's VONCed he's got no way to remain leader other than there to be zero candidates in the leadership election. That's not impossible, of course, but it would require every single Tory MP to turn down an open goal shot to become Prime Minister.

Also it would be a complete and public humiliation for the entire party that they had voted out their last leader when 1) he was popular enough to win a GE and 2) they had no replacement lined up. They started this; they are bound to finish it.

there isn't time to run a leadership election with the clock running on a six week short campaign so they'd have to fight with him as leader and pick up the pieces later; if (when) they lose then goodbye, good night. but if rupert murdoch pulls the big lever and they somehow win... the calls for the rules to be bent for wonderful boris to get a second chance will be overwhelming; liz truss and jeremy hunt can shout about process and rules all they like nobody will be listening

it's not a strategy that is in the short term interest of the tory party or the UK but who gives a poo poo about that

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He doesn't give a flying gently caress about anything or anyone except himself. That goes for his wives, children, party, friends, country, fellow ministers.

If the MPs vote him out, he's just the sort of person to gently caress it up for everyone else and call a GE out of spite.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rustybear posted:

it's not a strategy that is in the short term interest of the tory party or the UK but who gives a poo poo about that

Certainly not Boris.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1533798992626204673?t=Cn4qPNA7U4areV77q1XEPA&s=19

Extremely funny how willing Harry Cole is to go to bat for the guy who made him a cuckold.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
lol at all the centrists on twitter insisting that this time Bojo is done for, as if he isn't going to survive the confidence vote easily and the whole thing isn't going to be forgotten by tomorrow morning

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Great Scott Marty!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hilarity timeline - Boris gets vonced, hits the self destruct button by calling a GE, ken gets fined by durham police and resigns, andy burnham somehow becomes leader by accident, conservatives are left with a ge to win and a not entirely poo poo opposition. Putin nukes the uk and it turns out it was all for nowt anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my country yearns for the freedom of atomic fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hilarity timeline - Boris gets vonced, hits the self destruct button by calling a GE, ken gets fined by durham police and resigns, andy burnham somehow becomes leader by accident, conservatives are left with a ge to win and a not entirely poo poo opposition. Putin nukes the uk and it turns out it was all for nowt anyway.

Burnham winning a parliament seat in that time and then the Labour leadership seems unlikely tbh