Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Enzo posted:

That cyclist's name? Albert Einstein.

lmao rekt :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

... and that cyclist was albert einstein!!! :bravo:

it was me :hehe: :evilbuddy:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Those electric rental scooters recently showed up in Halifax and I see people in traffic with them. I'm amazed nobody has died yet especially considering most of the people renting them are dumb kids from one of the universities getting day drunk before scooting along the bus routes.

Mx. posted:

AITA for having my friend’s autistic son removed from my wedding?
Amateur standup from a teenager at a wedding... I can't imagine a worse social hell

Mx. posted:

AITA for causing a scene at my parents anniversary?
Lmao gently caress your racist idiot brother

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therobit posted:

AITA for forcing my roommate to replace my chefs knife?

So, uh.

A) $2000 for a knife?! I get being a bit spendy but come on now.

B) They literally have a 'roommate agreement'. I am envisioning some kind of Big Bang Theory-style 300 page legal document now.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Mx. posted:

AITA for leaving a friend group at the lake?

Why did you leave your car unlocked in a remote location when you were out of sight of it? Not the rear end in a top hat, just very naive.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao gently caress your racist idiot brother

Ew, I missed that one. Very telling that it's the guy telling the bigot to gently caress off that "ruined the party" not the guy saying mad racisms

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

vuk83 posted:

Helmet protect your head if you fall, it doesn't protect you in a motor vehicle accident. You can fall for a lot of reasons on a bike, sudden braking, patch of ice etc. Wear a helmet.

if you’re travelling at extreme high speed then sure, i can see that making it appreciably more dangerous. but i don’t think slipping on ice while going a leisurely or even somewhat brisk pace on a bike is that much more dangerous than slipping while you’re on foot

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

DaysBefore posted:

Those electric rental scooters recently showed up in Halifax and I see people in traffic with them. I'm amazed nobody has died yet especially considering most of the people renting them are dumb kids from one of the universities getting day drunk before scooting along the bus routes.

I work at a university health center. Our concussion rate shot up after those things appeared on campus. Covid seems to have reset things a bit - students are a lot less interested in the scooters than they were when they first showed up. We had one student who nearly died from a skull fracture, and suffered permanent cognitive impairments. Alcohol was involved. If you're a student and like to use one of those things, just get a lightweight helmet and strap it to your backpack. Many of the companies will even send you one for free (except for shipping and handling).

ETA: You're higher off the ground on a bike, and much more likely to go down head first. You're at higher risk for head trauma with a bike fall, broken wrists with a standing fall. Also, a leisurely pace on a bike is still a lot faster than a leisurely pace on foot. Wear a loving helmet.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 6, 2022

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

if you’re travelling at extreme high speed then sure, i can see that making it appreciably more dangerous. but i don’t think slipping on ice while going a leisurely or even somewhat brisk pace on a bike is that much more dangerous than slipping while you’re on foot

You're typically not in position to catch yourself on a bike. Wear a helmet.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for leaving a friend group at the lake?

I(24M) ... My friend(23M) ..... His mom ended up having to go get them and she ended up calling my parents who also think I am the AH for leaving my friend stranded with no way home.

lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

It is

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Listen. Nearly everybody has either ridden a bike or driven a car or both. And we all know people who have, too. Everybody has bike traffic stories.

Nobody wants to loving hear them, though. Shut the gently caress up about bikes. Please.

Every loving thread that somebody mentions a bike, everybody thinks their bike story is so important and prescient that they'll post DAYS LATER about it. Let me help you. Nobody loving cares. Don't tell us your personal great amazing bike story. You're ruining threads.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for being upset that my fiancé got me the ring I wanted?

quote:

Not sure how to start this, so I guess I’ll jump into it. My fiancé has been asking me what I want for my engagement ring for close to a year. I’ve sent him reference photos at his request. He’s asked me explicitly what carat I want and what carat my family would find acceptable(don’t ask - they are a bit materialistic and overbearing, one of the reasons I moved away from them).

I told him repeatedly what my ideal would be, but emphasized that I would be happy with anything from him because it would be a symbol of his love and commitment. I always knew he makes enough money to buy an “impressive” ring, but I don’t think it’s right to put that pressure on him.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, he ended up proposing with a ring that was completely different than what we discussed. The metal was different, the cut, design, etc. He told me it was a family heirloom. I was thrown off because he never mentioned it before. Regardless, I was over the moon not only at the thought of marrying him, but so flattered that his family wanted to give me something so sentimental. Obviously I said yes and I can only imagine I appeared as ecstatic as I felt. I took the ring and was overjoyed. He paused for a moment and was confused, but kinda recovers and we went about our normal lives.

I’ve been talking about how happy I was to to have something so meaningful from his family for the past two weeks.

Well, yesterday he sheepishly came to me and gave me exactly the ring we had talked about. At first I was gutted - I thought his family no longer wanted me to have a part of their history. So, he clarified that the first ring wasn’t a heirloom, it was something he bought as a joke and he’s was expecting a reaction out of me. And he was shocked he didn’t get one and didn’t know what to do when I was so happy with the first ring.

I was floored. In that moment, I was so confused and had so many conflicting feelings I couldn’t process in real time that I didn’t know what to say. I just walked out the room.

He now is saying that I ruined our proposal/wedding story by walking away and “shutting him out” when he gave me an expensive ring. He is genuinely upset at me for not being stoked he “pranked me” initially. Am I the rear end in a top hat for being disappointed and confused?

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Every loving thread that somebody mentions a bike, everybody thinks their bike story is so important and prescient that they'll post DAYS LATER about it. Let me help you. Nobody loving cares. Don't tell us your personal great amazing bike story. You're ruining threads.

But what do you think about tipping?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Listen. Nearly everybody has either ridden a bike or driven a car or both. And we all know people who have, too. Everybody has bike traffic stories.

Nobody wants to loving hear them, though. Shut the gently caress up about bikes. Please.

All of that being said: Wear the helmet. Goons twisting themselves into knots trying to justify not wearing their helmet, and it's loving shameful. Wear the loving helmet. I don't give a rats rear end how good the infrastructure in your city is- and again, as has been mentioned repeatedly, this does not make falls any less potentially deadly or concrete any softer. Wear the god-bedamned helmet or at least have the balls to admit you just don't want to, instead of trying to hide behind ~infrastructure~ as a lovely reason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Why did he wait two weeks to drop the punchline to his "joke"? Literally because she has the self-control to express happiness despite disappointment? He needed her to react poorly to material things for this, that's usually not a positive development

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if the bastard didn't have cold feet but wanted it to be "her fault" when breaking it off, but she was so accepting that plan fell through. Can you get refunds for wedding rings?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Soylent Pudding posted:

She has the opportunity to not marry some who is both Into Prank Culture and Extremely Bad At It

And she’s gonna ignore fate itself telling her to bolt

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There should be a dating site to set people up directly with red flags, just cutting out the middleman

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Brawnfire posted:

There should be a dating site to set people up directly with red flags, just cutting out the middleman

"ManNice Guy (4x) with untreated BPD looking for woman (18-22) with same. Cooking and cleaning experience essential. No kids, pets or contact with your family."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

https://www.deseret.com/indepth/2019/10/9/20903269/trump-supporters-dating-apps-online

quote:

“Being with someone who shares the same core standards is absolutely essential if you’re truly searching for a real, life-changing relationship,” reads a description on Trump.dating, a website that lets you build a profile and search for, message and request to meet other Trump-loving singles. The site also features tag lines like “Make dating great again!” and “Find your pro-Trump match today.”

quote:

A 31-year-old Conservatives Only user from Louisiana wrote on his public profile page that he is just looking for “a woman who is conservative enough to not yell at me in a coffee shop about how I am racist because I voted for Donald Trump.” His name is being withheld to protect his privacy.

The man also wrote on his public profile that he is anti-feminist and thinks “feminism has attacked femininity in general and devalues women as whole.”

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Knock it off with the cycling crap ok

You all sometimes :argh:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The cyclical nature of thread derails continues

Edit:

Oh poo poo didn't see the warning

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, enough about bikes, let's talk about the proper way to cook rice. That is to say, the proper way is to boil it in a pot with too much water and then draining it at the end.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just don't understand, if there's so many people who love Trump and traditional conservative womanhood etc etc why don't they just date each other? Why are they going to coffeeshops and trying to date people who yell at them about Trump? Go to the private machine gun compound or whatever and avail yourself of others who mirror your own desirable traits!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, enough about bikes, let's talk about the proper way to cook rice. That is to say, the proper way is to boil it in a pot with too much water and then draining it at the end.

I only use that method if I’m putting it on a pizza with some delicious pineapple.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brawnfire posted:

Why did he wait two weeks to drop the punchline to his "joke"? Literally because she has the self-control to express happiness despite disappointment? He needed her to react poorly to material things for this, that's usually not a positive development

Because she was supposed to act like the stereotype fee-male and throw a tantrum about not getting the perfect expensive ring before he pulled out the real one and demonstrated ha ha how shallow women are but never mind darling I love you anyway and see I made your tiny acquisitive brain happy!

Except she ruined his chance at TikTok likes by being delighted by the fake emotional history of the ring and perfectly genuine in what she'd said about the proposal being the important part.

So he had to hold on the actual ring and try and figure out what the hell to do with it, and his solution was to try yet another prank that failed because he doesn't have a single clue about how actual human beings react to poo poo.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Brawnfire posted:

I just don't understand, if there's so many people who love Trump and traditional conservative womanhood etc etc why don't they just date each other? Why are they going to coffeeshops and trying to date people who yell at them about Trump? Go to the private machine gun compound or whatever and avail yourself of others who mirror your own desirable traits!
Because even MAGA women find MAGA men intolerable. No jokes here, that’s the reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Part of the draw of being a trump fan is making people get outraged at you. Can't do that if your target already agrees with your terrible views

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I also suspect that there are far fewer MAGA women than men. These MAGA guys are probably also not looking for women their own age so the pool is even shallower.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tarkus posted:

I also suspect that there are far fewer MAGA women than men. These MAGA guys are probably also not looking for women their own age so the pool is even shallower.

A MAGA dating site would probably suffer the same fate as that NFT based one, lol.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I only use that method if I’m putting it on a pizza with some delicious pineapple.

Do you drain your pizza after boiling it though?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That ring story is either

1) Man is stupid child
2) Man is evil

There is no good outcome here, I mandate this lady fill out the relationship severance form and calculate the total number of red flags and see if she gets a work visa for herself.

Johnny Truant posted:

Do you drain your pizza after boiling it though?

Preposterous, I need it well done.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I also personally feel car drivers would be a lot better if they had to do; say, five hours a year of road network motorbike/scooter riding to keep a car license. The sense of road awareness you get from riding a bike versus driving a car is huge.

Drivers should have to take regular assessments to keep their licenses in general, but I agree. Drivers need to understand how it feels to not be in the relative safety of a big metal cage. The reverse is true too. Cyclists and pedestrians need to understand the limitations of situational awareness inside a car. Pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers should all have their own dedicated networks that never intersect. You should need a separate license to use a shared roadway that demonstrates competence in walking, cycling, and driving.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brawnfire posted:

Maga men don't just have 'traditional views', they hate women and treat them badly.

Story after story of women entering the magasphere and then writing articles about how badly the community treats them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

feedmegin posted:

So, uh.

A) $2000 for a knife?! I get being a bit spendy but come on now.

I make knives as a hobby and know folks that make them professionally.

$2000 for a custom hand-made chefs knife by a journeyman or master smith is not unusual.

The guy that taught me sells knives for $1200-1600 regularly.

Yes it's a lot of money, but each of these knives takes many hours of detailed work that requires years of practice to get right.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3JzxlatUs

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Conservative women crave the fantasy dichotomy of a man who is aggressive to outsiders but gentle and caring to his own family.

Shockingly, what you find most of the time is that folks with unchecked aggression spilling out all sides generally aren't good at directing it in healthy manners and treat everyone around them like trash.

You know, good ol' traditional toxic masculinity.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 6, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Maga men don't just have 'traditional views', they hate women and treat them badly.

Story after story of women entering the magasphere and then writing articles about how badly the community treats them.

That's the craziest thing about them, they espouse all these ideas of freedom and independence and self-sufficiency but they also come with de facto servitude baked in to gender roles and are surprised when that sucks major rear end for the one not in top. No matter how you dress it up, a life of bending down to some dude's say-so blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Kenshin posted:

I make knives as a hobby and know folks that make them professionally.

$2000 for a custom hand-made chefs knife by a journeyman or master smith is not unusual.

The guy that taught me sells knives for $1200-1600 regularly.

Yes it's a lot of money, but each of these knives takes many hours of detailed work that requires years of practice to get right.

A good chef's knife is also an invaluable tool, and worth the money if that's how you make your living. They last basically forever if you buy quality, as well. I still have some of my dad's knives that he used as a butcher in the 70s, they're amazing.