Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Booyah- posted:

no wonder the CEO has been having a constant meltdown and users are being put into "HODL mode"

https://twitter.com/yieldchad/status/1533529211083833345

Bitcoin: Not looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am confused. There's an exchange that lets you make withdrawals?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Lone Badger posted:

not for long!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Somfin posted:

Remember Earth 2, the "game" where you can "buy" tiles on a grid overlaid on Google maps data?

That, but frames of a movie.

I don't know why people would buy into this. The TV series was any good!

The Lone Badger posted:

In a different kind of Monopoly money! And they don't have enough of that monopoly money to cover their withdrawls!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 6, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Booyah- posted:

no wonder the CEO has been having a constant meltdown and users are being put into "HODL mode"

uh have you considered that they've honoured redemptions so far, and therefore by extrapolation, will forever

https://twitter.com/lfgfinance/status/1533554611738406913

https://twitter.com/lfgfinance/status/1533620990994919424

https://twitter.com/lfgfinance/status/1533631707839991809

https://twitter.com/lfgfinance/status/1533653146668441602

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
sincerely arguing about money on Twitter with "Mr Bean Stock" whose avatar is a picture of Mr. Bean. accusing him (Mister. BEAN) of being insincere and/or ignorant

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Huffing asbestos is pretty bad for you!"

"Oh, really? Are you an asbestos huffer? No? Then shut up!" :smuggo:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Once more, a very organic and normal price action

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

divabot posted:

Cryptocurrency crash causes trillions of dollars worth of damage | 60 Minutes Australia - they didn't let me sneak in the word "buttcoin", but pretty good other than that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IRgSSBPrWY

also I wrote up that Flexa Chipotle thing from this thread a coupla days ago, with added detail.

“The legacy payment systems are complicated and costly,” Flexa CEO Tyler Spalding actually dared loving say.

Good going man, you're fighting the good fight.

It still makes me mad that the current affairs shows try to "both sides" the worth of crypto, and that all the crypto supporters they interview are driving sports cars and living in mansions. The 60 minutes clip seemed to suggest that they'd interviewed crypto-Zangief at crypto's peak last year and my strong bet is that it wouldn't have been nearly as sceptical as it should have been.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It honestly could be if there’s a relatively low volume of trading. I’m those circumstances a single large-ish buy order can spike things like that as they clear out the lower priced sell orders. Say you’ve got 10 things on an exchange with 4 at a $100 sell, 2 at $110, and four more at $140. If someone comes along who thinks they need that at any price and buys seven, you’ll see a sharp spike to $140.

Now, if trade volume is that low it’s not exactly speaking volumes about the health of bitcoin either.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

What the gently caress is a Celsius user?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Azubah posted:

You're obviously not one of them

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Azubah posted:

europeans

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
^^^ drat it!

Azubah posted:

Europeans.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Booyah- posted:

https://twitter.com/yieldchad/status/1533529211083833345

Is this particularly meaningful? This would only be the real exchange rate if Celsius dumped all their stETH into this one liquidity pool all at once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PbZMudPP5E
As I understand it, the liquid pool algorithmically increases the price exponentially as the pool becomes more and more unbalanced, and this is to incentivise folks to take the other side of the trade to rebalance the pool. This doesn't seem like the only place you can exchange stETH either.

I don't know how it works with standard financial assets but if a big bank just dumped all their assets at once on one exchange they'd take a huge haircut also? The only difference is that you can calculate it because the pool's algorithm is public.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Random Stranger posted:

"Huffing asbestos is pretty bad for you!"

"Oh, really? Are you an asbestos huffer? No? Then shut up!" :smuggo:

Cultivating a community where all doubters are considered untrustworthy has a great track record and is definitely a great way to not get scammed

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

pippy posted:

Is this particularly meaningful? This would only be the real exchange rate if Celsius dumped all their stETH into this one liquidity pool all at once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PbZMudPP5E
As I understand it, the liquid pool algorithmically increases the price exponentially as the pool becomes more and more unbalanced, and this is to incentivise folks to take the other side of the trade to rebalance the pool. This doesn't seem like the only place you can exchange stETH either.

I don't know how it works with standard financial assets but if a big bank just dumped all their assets at once on one exchange they'd take a huge haircut also? The only difference is that you can calculate it because the pool's algorithm is public.

The difference is if there's a run on your bank the feds have the assets backed up.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Just checked out this shitcoin,

Love an asset that loses 90% of it's value in a year. Great stuff.

froste
Mar 19, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Just checked out this shitcoin,

Love an asset that loses 90% of it's value in a year. Great stuff.

So now is the perfect time to buy, only a 10% downside possible! :bitcoin:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Schir posted:

europeans

More like literally anything but americans

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mercury_Storm posted:

sandwiched between two true believers who lost hundreds of thousands are are still buying more :rolleyes:

the yuppie and the russian totally-not-mafia dude

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man I should have guessed it was something like that, what a pain. I'll watch that later though, cheers.

https://filebin.net/64wqeawymz5pqqve (very temporary)

tonight on 60 Minutes Australia: Bruiser McThug bashes a blockchain's face against a gutter while lecturing it on dose criptose yuse keep gasbaggin on abaht, ronnie is not appy wiv ur delays, an ur full o nonces. Directed by Danny Boyle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Gutcruncher posted:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1533458873213919234?s=21&t=kTqjHg36-4qd7sIQ8jsufA

EDIT: Oops wrong thread. Oh well leaving it cuz this deal is great.

WE WANT TO HURT NO ONE. WE'RE HERE FOR SETH'S APES, NOT YOUR APES. YOUR APES ARE INSURED BY THE BLOCKCHAIN, YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOSE A DIME. THINK OF YOUR FAMILY OF APES, DONT RISK YOUR LIFE.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They are all complete dimwits

https://twitter.com/wallstreetpro/status/1533484097502322691

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Only 500 of this $29.99 game asset we bought in existence

https://twitter.com/lizaledwards/status/1533852224064851968?s=20&t=83EBSRx6ySIhfjA_8Az4fA

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LMAO, how are these crypto bros so stupid, it's like they've never thought about ANY aspect of any legal system, let alone one on the blockchain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They are slowly realizing their entire house of cards does nothing better, and worse is probably not legally enforceable, because the very legal tools that banks/government use to enforce the things blockchain/crypto is trying to replace DOES NOT recognize them

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

LMAO, how are these crypto bros so stupid, it's like they've never thought about ANY aspect of any legal system, let alone one on the blockchain.

There's a reason that for a long time the thread title was "Dunning-Krugerrands".

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

lol i love the sad "...on the blockchain" at the end. Crypto mind tricks don't work on people who can stop for 5 seconds and think.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Crypto mind tricks don't work on people who can stop for 5 seconds and think.

... on the blockchain!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

lol the game title is literally "GRIFT" with one letter dropped

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

GET poo poo DONE

Serious_Cyclone posted:

lol the game title is literally "GRIFT" with one letter dropped

TRUE GRIFT

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CommieGIR posted:

They are slowly realizing their entire house of cards does nothing better, and worse is probably not legally enforceable, because the very legal tools that banks/government use to enforce the things blockchain/crypto is trying to replace DOES NOT recognize them

The best part of that is how his entire use case is making mortgages much faster to get. Rather than going to BofA and filling out all this paperwork that takes days, you just put it on the blockchain and wham bam you've got yourself a mortgage.

. . . only the reason it takes a long time is that the bank wants to do their due diligence to make sure that A) the underlying asset is what you say it is and that it's worth what you say it is and b) that you actually own the thing you're taking the mortgage out against.

In other words if we somehow ended up in a world where crypto bros were giving out mortgages based on an NFT of your house, they're going to get the poo poo scammed out of them in a million ways that the actual mortgage industry has spent literal centuries building tools to protect them from. Even setting aside the obvious fraud of you not actually owning that property, how the gently caress are they going to check that the house you claim is worth $500k is actually worth $500k (in good repair, has the interior finish and trim you say it does, etc) and isn't a dilapidated crack house that might have looked that way ten years ago but is now a tear down worth the $200k that the lot it's built on will sell for. Maybe less because the current condemned shack needs to be torn down and that costs money.

I mean, the answer is they send someone out there they trust to assess the value of the house and say "yeah, it's worth $500k" but congrats we're back to filling out paperwork and waiting days for approval because *gasp* now the lender is doing their due diligence and not just blindly loaning cash.

tl;dr - :laffo:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
also even the critic in that conversation was mistaken right? "the only difference is there's a public record of the transaction"? with real estate that public record already exists, doesn't it? am i being dumb here?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best part of that is how his entire use case is making mortgages much faster to get. Rather than going to BofA and filling out all this paperwork that takes days, you just put it on the blockchain and wham bam you've got yourself a mortgage.

. . . only the reason it takes a long time is that the bank wants to do their due diligence to make sure that A) the underlying asset is what you say it is and that it's worth what you say it is and b) that you actually own the thing you're taking the mortgage out against.

In other words if we somehow ended up in a world where crypto bros were giving out mortgages based on an NFT of your house, they're going to get the poo poo scammed out of them in a million ways that the actual mortgage industry has spent literal centuries building tools to protect them from. Even setting aside the obvious fraud of you not actually owning that property, how the gently caress are they going to check that the house you claim is worth $500k is actually worth $500k (in good repair, has the interior finish and trim you say it does, etc) and isn't a dilapidated crack house that might have looked that way ten years ago but is now a tear down worth the $200k that the lot it's built on will sell for. Maybe less because the current condemned shack needs to be torn down and that costs money.

I mean, the answer is they send someone out there they trust to assess the value of the house and say "yeah, it's worth $500k" but congrats we're back to filling out paperwork and waiting days for approval because *gasp* now the lender is doing their due diligence and not just blindly loaning cash.

Its almost like, evil though the banks may be, they understand the concept of risk mitigation and risk management.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

How similar is all of this to the TF2 hat craze?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

but I have a "not a scammer" soulbound token, therefore I am trustworthy. problem solved

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

why is his facial hair like that??

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Lol this sequence

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mindless posted:

Lol this sequence

Pick a side 60 Minutes Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Vashro posted:

why is his facial hair like that??

No time to shave right when you're GETTING poo poo DONE