Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my replacement deck arrived. seems to not have the noisy fan that people talk about getting.... but the proper thing to examine, the gpu... I installed house flipper to test as that was the first game that froze my first deck's GPU and made me realize all was not well.

made it through a whole job in the game without a freeze, black screen and hang. knock on wood but I think i have a Good unit :)

e: i mean, to be fair, I probably was in the unlucky 5% or so of users that had a Deck with a defective Ryzen, but still, I'm glad I didn't get another defective one right back. now it's time to game!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The 7th Guest posted:

my replacement deck arrived. seems to not have the noisy fan that people talk about getting.... but the proper thing to examine, the gpu... I installed house flipper to test as that was the first game that froze my first deck's GPU and made me realize all was not well.

made it through a whole job in the game without a freeze, black screen and hang. knock on wood but I think i have a Good unit :)

e: i mean, to be fair, I probably was in the unlucky 5% or so of users that had a Deck with a defective Ryzen, but still, I'm glad I didn't get another defective one right back. now it's time to game!!!

Congratz man, having to wait all this time after getting so close must have been hell.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Congratz man, having to wait all this time after getting so close must have been hell.
it was very frustrating to have games i were enjoying freeze and crash the GPU every 15 minutes (or for some games, 3-4 minutes) so.. yeah

i'm gonna be playing the hell out of this this month. i've only got a couple of obligations this month outside of work-- one of which is a wisdom tooth extraction (and i'll definitely need the deck for the rest of that day when i'm lying around!!)

my list of games to play this month:
Crystal Project
Norco
Astro Dogs
Oliver's Adventure in the Fairyland
A Musical Story
Bad End Theater
Lucifer Within Us
Dungeon & Puzzles
Rainswept
Cyber Hook
and playing demos when the Next Fest happens next week. and... the steam summer sale happens on the 23rd :negative:

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 5, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the gpu hung and reset

during a pixel 2D platformer

are you loving kidding me Valve

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is it. this is my heel turn. this is my meltdown may

i was so positive about the deck

i was all telling people yeah this is cool, sure mine was defective but it's the future

but they couldn't even test the new unit before sending it. how bad is the failure rate???? how bad is it. gently caress me. maybe i don't deserve nice things i guess

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Are you sure it's a hardware defect you're encountering? It could be an issue with the directx compatibility layer or just some other software bug. I've been seeing a lot of users reporting at least some occasional crashing, to the point where it just seems like it's a part of the steam deck experience.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are you sure it's a hardware defect you're encountering? It could be an issue with the directx compatibility layer or just some other software bug. I've been seeing a lot of users reporting at least some occasional crashing, to the point where it just seems like it's a part of the steam deck experience.
i'm going to have to keep testing to find out, but with the first deck it was for sure hardware, the gpu would hang, black screen and reset, with the game frozen (because the GPU reset) requiring a force exit to get back to the Steam UI. and it would happen with games of all kinds, whether it was 3D games, 2D games made in Unity, 2D games made in fuckin Clickteam....

here it was a hang, black screen and reset and i couldn't even force exit so i had to turn the system off. and, again, this is with a 2D pixel-art sidescroller

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I play a ton of Minion Masters on it with my SO and we get 3-5 locks a session (2-3 hours) It's easy enough to force close and restart so no big deal, I just figure its an issue with running windows games on linux and I'm surprised it works as good as it does tbh.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Which game did it crash on?

Also, take it with a grain of salt, but it could be that they just sent your original Deck back to you. Maybe someone booted it up, tested it a bit, did a factory reset and sent it back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Which game did it crash on?

Also, take it with a grain of salt, but it could be that they just sent your original Deck back to you. Maybe someone booted it up, tested it a bit, did a factory reset and sent it back.
nah, the serial number is different

this happened 37 minutes into "Oliver's Adventures in the Fairyland". to give an idea of what the previous deck was doing, Outbuddies DX and Atomicrops would crash every 2-3 minutes on that. so I will probably have to test those games on this Deck now. and see how bad/frequent the issue is. if it is as frequent as last time, I'm going to RMA again and I'm going to be super pissed. if it's infrequent, i can live with it. the problem is that it was becoming more and more frequent with the first unit

i was able to play an hour of house flipper which i couldn't do on the previous deck, so I'm really hoping this GPU reset was a loving fluke (and it better have been because i will be really fuckin meltdown may mad). I have a list of games I held off on playing because of the first deck’s issue so that can be my benchmark to test it tonight.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 5, 2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW just have a recommendation for any rhythm gamers with Steam Decks:
Spin Rhythm XD works really well with the two track pads for the turntable gimmick. It's currently unverified but it plays perfectly.

This user set up a community layout that fits nicely:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/v172rm/just_found_a_really_fun_use_for_the_dual/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone managed to get the blizzard launcher working? I wanna play some D2:R

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

deck calculator has me up for tmw, hopefully. could really use the money

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what's the state of battery tech these days? can i just charge the deck as i like or should i do stuff like hover around 80%

how replacable are the batteries anyway

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

what's the state of battery tech these days? can i just charge the deck as i like or should i do stuff like hover around 80%

I think you ideally still only want to go down to 10 - 20% and recharge it up to 80 - 90% to best preserve the battery if you don't want to play with it plugged in. Otherwise it's better to just charge it to 100% and then play off of wall power since you won't be using the battery at all that way.

The battery is glued in and seems like a real pain in the rear end to replace, though it is replaceable.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Nng my deck is being delivered tomorrow, on the one day in a year when there's nobody home. I've told them to leave it with a neighbour. If I get home and it's been chucked in the bushes I swear to God.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The battery is glued in and seems like a real pain in the rear end to replace, though it is replaceable.

that's a bit disappointing - i can't imagine battery health being great long-term since you can zero it out in a single gaming session

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok i got some sleep, played through the rest of that game without a crash (one and a half hours of play), so I'm going to hope that this was a one time thing. i'm doing the two fingers at my eyes and then valve's eyes, i'm still leery. it's like the sequel to a thrasher movie where the survivor from the first movie has to deal with a fakeout jump scare in the first 5 minutes before the killer shows up again

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

ok i got some sleep, played through the rest of that game without a crash (one and a half hours of play), so I'm going to hope that this was a one time thing. i'm doing the two fingers at my eyes and then valve's eyes, i'm still leery. it's like the sequel to a thrasher movie where the survivor from the first movie has to deal with a fakeout jump scare in the first 5 minutes before the killer shows up again

My Steam Dick likes to randomly crash Hitman 3 on launch and reboot the system, sometimes more than once in a row, but once it loads successfully it plays just fine. gently caress if I know.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Valve made a big deal about user serviceability. So I imagine there's a good reason for using glue here?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

Valve made a big deal about user serviceability. So I imagine there's a good reason for using glue here?

Using glue or sticky pads to hold a battery in is pretty common, if you open up an old iPod those batteries are glued down too and they're not too hard to get out with a bit of patience and possibly a hairdryer to soften the glue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s not really glue it’s more of a double sided sticker

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Miscellanous/Steam-Deck-Battery-Adhesive/IF260-023?o=1

And it’s the standard for any device at this point.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not really glue it’s more of a double sided sticker

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Miscellanous/Steam-Deck-Battery-Adhesive/IF260-023?o=1

And it’s the standard for any device at this point.

lol the linked battery replacement guide estimates a 2-4h job and rate it difficult

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, components around the battery make using a hair drier or any form of heat a no-go, and the ergonomics of the device makes prying it out difficult. I've seen a couple tear-downs now and it seems like a serious pain in the rear end, way worse than other modern devices with batteries.

edit: I guess you can use heat, but you have to be really drat careful not to damage the screen when doing so.

Rinkles posted:

There isn't really a good reason, no ("It's common practice" doesn't count as a reason). They could've made it far easier to replace if they wanted to and they chose not to.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 6, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

lol the linked battery replacement guide estimates a 2-4h job and rate it difficult

Tbh it’s probably easier to just buy a new plastic back the stickers and battery.

That should take long at all to replace.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Tbh it’s probably easier to just buy a new plastic back the stickers and battery.

That should take long at all to replace.

It's not stuck onto the back, it's stuck onto the internal frame.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It's not stuck onto the back, it's stuck onto the internal frame.

Ah well that’s definitely not how all the other companies do it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
i might be out of the loop here. prying the battery off the sticky tape is a problem why?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Is there a way to just stream the video/audio from one steam based computer to another? I want to have the ability for other to watch what's going on the steam deck but on the big tv hooked to a computer. I can't really google, as when I do, the assumption is that I want to stream the game to play on another pc, or to the steamdeck. I'd like to avoid installing third party stuff on both machines if I can avoid it.

Yeah, you need streaming software, this is not magically going to work with no additional hardware or software. (Unless, I guess, the source & destination devices support Miracast already.) You could use the Steam Link software, either on a PC connected to the TV or on a mobile device that can cast to the TV, if it supports Chromecast (and then you'd need to attach one to the TV.) Or I guess if the mobile device has video out you could use that.

Otherwise you're looking at running streaming software (e.g. OBS or whatever) and then again having the appropriate software at the other end (which could just be a web browser on the TV.)

Butt Discussin posted:

I got the “Safuel 15000mAh 45w power bank” off Amazon for like $21 with one of those clicky coupons, and it still gives the slow charge warning when plugged in usb-c to c… but the battery percentage slowly goes up instead of down while playing, so I’m happy. I’ll report back if it dies or fries my deck or anything.

It should definitely output 45 W if it's working as advertised, but I checked the listing and it didn't specify its exact output levels (e.g. 20 W @ 2.25 A). All it says is "Output 1: 5V/3A 45W(max), Output 2: 5V/4.5A 22.5W(max)"...and, uh, you're not getting 45 W from 5 V output under PD 2+ specs. So it might be that it does 45 W at only 15 V or 20 V and the Deck takes that much power at the other voltage. You'd probably have to attach a USB multimeter to see exactly what's going on (and if it can indeed output 45 W as claimed.) You might also need to try another cable.

Also, it's got a ~55 W h battery so you'd get an hour of time out of it at the full 45 W draw of the Deck (but of course more time at a lower power draw.)

shrike82 posted:

I think you ideally still only want to go down to 10 - 20% and recharge it up to 80 - 90% to best preserve the battery if you don't want to play with it plugged in. Otherwise it's better to just charge it to 100% and then play off of wall power since you won't be using the battery at all that way.

The Deck uses standard Lithium-chemistry secondary cells. The advice is the same as it's always been: avoid overheating (through charging or discharging,) and avoid deep cycling (so don't discharge too deeply, beyond about 20% or so, and don't overcharge, as in above 80% or so, or at least don't keep it at 100% perpetually.) Store at around 40-50% in a cool dry place and recharge to that level every few months or so, depending on discharge rate (at least to prevent the cells from discharging below their safe minimum voltage.)

Vic posted:

i might be out of the loop here. prying the battery off the sticky tape is a problem why?

It's merely kind of a pain in the rear end to do. You're not supposed to overheat the battery (as in to soften up the adhesive to make it easier to remove) but you're also definitely not supposed to puncture or bend it either. I really hate when they use adhesive to secure the battery (as opposed to, say, some padded tape to simply use friction to hold it in place.) Every time I've replaced one of those batteries and not reapplied adhesive tape the battery never rattles around inside of the device; it's unnecessary in the first place.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah I ain't no decktician but I bet I could wing it with a guitar pick

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any reason to go with a pricier brand over a Sandisk for the SD card? Sandisk is like $20 cheaper than samsung etc. for the same amount of storage

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

You can just use remote play but actually play on the host computer.

thanks, for some reason never tried it the other way

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I have transplanted my Black Flag savegame to the Deck which has prompted one issue that remains: What about offline savegames? Has anyone come out with a good solution to back these up yet? I don't need some hacked together sync, I just want to keep my savegames in case the device ever does or gets stolen or whatever.
I would like this to be as hands off as possible, but also have as little dependencies as is reasonable, considering that as far as i can tell Steam OS will just potentially gently caress with the desktop environment on updates.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Consider this 'DIY' repair option: Buy all the parts and bring it to a trustworthy laptop or cellphone repair place.

For people used to repairing phones heatguns and heavy double sided tape are not so intimidating. A certain kind of nerd won't hate the challenge and may be interested in opening up a novel deck.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Steam's Cloud Sync has a nice interface on the Deck for save conflicts - which are way more likely with the Deck being a thing.

I played Elden Ring on the Deck and put it to sleep without exiting to the main menu. Played on the desktop PC for an hour the next day - this was fine as I picked up at the in-game save the Deck had synced to the cloud. Fired up the Deck later in the day and of course it comes back from sleep in the middle of that older session. I forgot I'd played on PC since and played for about 10 minutes before noticing that I didn't have a talisman I'd obtained on PC.

Quitting out of the game on the Deck showed a Cloud Sync conflict and restarting made the game offer me a nice UI that showed both the local save file on the Deck and the Cloud save file from the PC. I picked the PC one and all was good.

veni veni veni posted:

Is there any reason to go with a pricier brand over a Sandisk for the SD card? Sandisk is like $20 cheaper than samsung etc. for the same amount of storage

All other things being equal it's not worth paying for product name. Samsung makes good storage products and are sometimes in the lead in tech where you're getting actually better and applicable tech for the premium. But it's also the case that their storage products are often overpriced purely on reputation, often by as high as 20% or more.

I'd check reviews on the Sandisk and pick it up if it seems good. They make good stuff and I've owned their SDs in the past.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

veni veni veni posted:

For Steam Deck, not really. Make sure it's speed rated sufficiently but the Steam Deck doesn't have the fastest access so anything UHS-1 is fine.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the Moo2 2000 person data set says that I should get my email today but the larger, newer 8000 person set says 6/17.

Seems like the rate at which people are bailing on their reservations may be slowing

Heran Bago posted:

For people used to repairing phones heatguns and heavy double sided tape are not so intimidating. A certain kind of nerd won't hate the challenge and may be interested in opening up a novel deck.

I am generally not used to this kind of work in the very recent past, but I've done my share of it and when I got a 3090RTX FE last winter I immediately did the full disassembly to completely repad both sides. It was slightly terrifying to be ripping an impossible-to-replace-quickly $1500 thing apart but really this stuff is pretty easy if you:

* have the right tools
* watch videos in advance
* have decent fine motor skills.

Good eyesight is a plus, too. I lack that but I have a jeweler's visor with lenses that range from 1.5x - 4x, so I just use that. When I used to do some of this poo poo in the late 90s - mid 00s, video tutorials of your exact problem didn't exist and you were lucky if you had a service manual plus a Usenet post from someone who once solved a similar problem on a similar but meaningfully different model, ha.

You can build these skills pretty easily and even make a little scratch if you want, just buy up old laptops that have something wrong with them for dirt cheap and then fix and sell. Which reminds me that my mom's old laptop is sitting downstairs in need of being ripped apart and probably having a new HDD put in, minimally.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 6, 2022

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Atomizer posted:

It should definitely output 45 W if it's working as advertised, but I checked the listing and it didn't specify its exact output levels (e.g. 20 W @ 2.25 A). All it says is "Output 1: 5V/3A 45W(max), Output 2: 5V/4.5A 22.5W(max)"...and, uh, you're not getting 45 W from 5 V output under PD 2+ specs. So it might be that it does 45 W at only 15 V or 20 V and the Deck takes that much power at the other voltage. You'd probably have to attach a USB multimeter to see exactly what's going on (and if it can indeed output 45 W as claimed.) You might also need to try another cable.

Also, it's got a ~55 W h battery so you'd get an hour of time out of it at the full 45 W draw of the Deck (but of course more time at a lower power draw.)

Steam Deck power diagnostics show it charging from the battery at ~21 watts, even with the USB-C port on the battery that's supposed to charge faster. I'll try a different cord, but this might be where the false advertising is. It would need 15V * 3A to hit 45w, maybe it's only doing 5V * 4.5A from both ports. I've got an old Android phone with Ampere I need to run down the battery on to try to get more details.

The Steam Deck battery is 40 watt hours, and that tracks with what I'm seeing where 1% on the battery display seems to charge a little more than 1% on the steam deck while it's on standby. I guess the Deck never actually uses the full 45w, as even demanding games get 90 minutes to 2 hours running on the Deck's battery only.

edit: the charging slowed down to like 9w when it got above 90%, so it could also be a function of battery protection, IE, the more full it gets the slower it charges, and at 60% it would only charge at 21w?

Question Time fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 6, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm, wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm going to have to keep testing to find out, but with the first deck it was for sure hardware, the gpu would hang, black screen and reset, with the game frozen (because the GPU reset) requiring a force exit to get back to the Steam UI. and it would happen with games of all kinds, whether it was 3D games, 2D games made in Unity, 2D games made in fuckin Clickteam....

here it was a hang, black screen and reset and i couldn't even force exit so i had to turn the system off. and, again, this is with a 2D pixel-art sidescroller

This happened to me with Baldur's Gate 3, but it seems to be a common issue with that game's specific compatibility issues. Is this happening to you with games that are working for other people?