Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ding is officially in now, yeah? But is it confirmed he was able to make travel arrangements? That was what killed him being in the Grand Prix after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
He's official, yes, and no idea about his travel issues.

Looking forward to the tournament! If we don't count Nepo, only two players from the previous Candidates. I was surprised to see Naka, I thought his "serious" chess days were long gone and that he was all about streaming blitz these days.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think Nakamura is full of poo poo - he plays 200 games a day 7 days a week. "I'm a streamer now, not a serious player". Yeah right!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Doctor Malaver posted:

He's official, yes, and no idea about his travel issues.

Looking forward to the tournament! If we don't count Nepo, only two players from the previous Candidates. I was surprised to see Naka, I thought his "serious" chess days were long gone and that he was all about streaming blitz these days.

I mean going into the GP qualifier even he was saying his spot was a PR stunt and it should’ve gone to Esipenko. He wasn’t expected to qualify. But, as with Gelfand last decade, they ultimately showed the results so it’s not like they’re there by mistake.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Salt Fish posted:

I think Nakamura is full of poo poo - he plays 200 games a day 7 days a week. "I'm a streamer now, not a serious player". Yeah right!

I tried watching some of his YouTube videos and he can be fun but I don't get anything close to the knowledge out of them as watching Naroditsky's videos. Though I suppose I appreciate that he's the shitposter of international chess masters.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

ben finegold posted:

There's a 12-year-old girl at one of our chess clubs and man does she hate Hikaru. Like Goddamn. How does a 12-year-old hate a super-GM? And then the answer of course is that she met him.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The worst thing about Hikaru streams is his music. Holy poo poo I wish every day he would get DMCA-striked. So bad.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Dropping this here to explain the thread title change because I saw this today and it was just too good to resist.

https://twitter.com/ClassyArabic/status/1528078020078194688

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Goddamn

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hikaru doesn't seem to really do instructional stuff on his stream like Naroditsky or Levy. He just seems to play or watch a lot of games and talk real fast about random stuff.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I just stepped on the biggest rake of all time. I'd played God's own chess game up to the very last move:

He walked the pawn up like "take me"

And I so kindly obliged, making the move in about four seconds. I've improved so much over the last couple of weeks! That chess tactics website was unbelievably helpful. At least this one yard line fumble was funny.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I just stepped on the biggest rake of all time. I'd played God's own chess game up to the very last move:

And I so kindly obliged, making the move in about four seconds. I've improved so much over the last couple of weeks! That chess tactics website was unbelievably helpful. At least this one yard line fumble was funny.

Haha, a back ranker is just about the only way you can lose when you're up that much material. We've all been there though.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I think the main thing to note is that it would’ve cost you practically nothing to play h3 and give yourself a way out, your opponent has absolutely nothing going for them

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It's an endgame so I'd be considering f3 instead of h3 to give my king a faster path to the middle.

I'm just about to reach the final 5 (:awesomelon:) of a 222-player daily tournament I started back in October. Really feel like I've improved in the last 6 months but I still haven't got up the courage to play rapid or blitz!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Maugrim posted:

It's an endgame so I'd be considering f3 instead of h3 to give my king a faster path to the middle.

You're up a bazillion pieces so it doesn't really matter, but for general principles the two main moves you'd be looking at in a more equal position are Kf1 and g3. Kf1 because you're moving your king directly towards the centre more quickly. g3 rather than f3 because you leave the f2 pawn in place so the opposing rook can't cut your king off along the 2.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

That chess tactics website was unbelievably helpful.

What site are you referring to? I keep daydreaming about learning chess better, so I'm asking this to pretend like I will actually follow up on that. :razz:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Magnetic North posted:

What site are you referring to? I keep daydreaming about learning chess better, so I'm asking this to pretend like I will actually follow up on that. :razz:

Chesstactics.org
It's a site that helps you get better at chess by explaining concepts & movement patterns, as opposed to a bunch of theory trees and memorization.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

busalover posted:

The worst thing about Hikaru streams is his music. Holy poo poo I wish every day he would get DMCA-striked. So bad.

I love the playlist, but if you don't, watch the vod instead of live and you won't have the music. That's also why he doesn't get DMCA-stricked, only the live stream has it mixed in. The DMCA bots scrape VODs/clips.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay I’ve been watching some of these Chessable Masters games and am embarrassed that I doubted Ding Liren, the man definitely has the goods.

This Pragg guy is quite the decent chess playing fellow though!

Has he been on everyone’s radar prior to this?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, he was a big deal for hitting IM at ~10, which may or may not have been the youngest at the time. I remember seeing him at London that year at the big rapid tournament. Since he obviously hadn't played much rapid recently, he was still rated ~1400.

I lost to both him and his sister (him in blitz, his sister in classical) in a couple day span at a later London a couple years ago.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay I just watched Pragg's match against Ding. This guy is SIXTEEN YEARS OLD? And taking games off the best players in the world, and making them sweat in every single game? Jesus, this guy is amazing.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Maugrim posted:

I had somehow not seen this before, nice

its very good op

I've exchanged a few emails with the author and he's a heck of a nice, supportive guy, as well as one of those stupidly accomplished people that makes everyone around them look like slackers by just being them

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So do I just start playing blitz until I get good, or books- what does the first month look like?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So do I just start playing blitz until I get good, or books- what does the first month look like?

are you talking about learning chess from scratch?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Booyah- posted:

are you talking about learning chess from scratch?

I know how the pieces move and have played one or two games, but yeah. Basically from scratch

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Blitz is kinda bad for getting good. Since its usually played real fast and people rely on experience, intuition and instinct, of which if you're new(ish) to chess? (I think?) You probably don't have much of any of those things.

Also low level blitz is just a dumb mess.

Tactics are always one of the most important things no matter your level. https://www.chess-tactics.org is a great website/book thing that actually takes the time to explain how they work and what to look for. It's a real good place to start.

Although if your real new, every single turn, ask yourself are any of my opponents pieces hanging (free to take without then taking you back - in which case take them if you can't see a good reason not too) and are any of yours hanging or loose (undefended, or have an equal number of attackers and defenders) and consider reinforcing them or moving them. This includes the move you are about to make. That's about all you need to do for a while. Be religiously methodical about it.

If you want to take it to the next step, for every move think of a couple different moves you could make before you do it and think about which one is actually best. Stuff like this is why more time in your games is helpful early, 10/5 on lichess or 15/10 on chess.com are probably a good balance between time to think and not taking all day.

Beyond that, pick a couple of openings you like, one for white, one vs e4 as black and one vs d4. Or pick at random or ask (or lookup opening principles). And just learn the basics, like 3 or 4 moves in and spend a little time learning more when you can be bothered. Deep opening prep is pointless when your opponent will go off piest almost immediately. Learning the ideas of the opening is good though.

Also spend a bit of time making sure you know how to checkmate people, time spent on the various patterns as well as simple endgames will be helpful. Rook and king, king and pawns stuff.

Finally if you're really serious, when you finish a game go look through it slowly, spending at least as long as you played it. Do it without a computer engine and work out what were good moves or bad moves and for bad ones why you made the move you did. Then check with the computer. Best to do this when it's still fresh in your mind. Its hard but one of the best ways to get better.

Good luck and have fun. Also come join the discord.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 31, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
What’s the discord link?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I know how the pieces move and have played one or two games, but yeah. Basically from scratch

The most important thing is to find a pace you enjoy. There's obviously ideal ways to get as good as possible as quickly as possible, but it's pretty easy for this to end up feeling like chess is a second day job and gently caress that.

As for books, at your level the absolute best books are aimed at children. If you can swallow your pride there's plenty there. (Or you can hide it in the guise of teaching kids of your own, if that's an option.)

I think it's important to play because, well, that's what you're here for, right? Try the different speeds and find one that you're comfortable with. Slower games in the 10-15 minute range are often better at the start because they give you more time to think things through, but if you prefer blitz then blitz.

Doing tactics can be good fun. The site Cast_No_Shadow linked is one of a million places you can start. Generally when you're playing the pattern recognition part of your brain is doing heavy lifting, and doing tactics helps with that immensely.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Hard to improve on the above guidance, but I'd add that picking up a book of annotated games (eg the classic Logical Chess, a chess 'bible', some wild Magnus games, a new book of Caruna games, etc.) can be a really good way to understand why and when certain moves or patterns are played.

I'm also a really big fan of the improvements that Chess.com has made to the post-game evaluation and analysis. It's neat to have the engine run through the game, find all the fuckups, and offer you a second chance to see the correct move. Basically, it serves you a set of puzzles based on the key moments of your game; I think it's really cool and helpful.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

pugnax posted:

Hard to improve on the above guidance, but I'd add that picking up a book of annotated games (eg the classic Logical Chess, a chess 'bible', some wild Magnus games, a new book of Caruna games, etc.) can be a really good way to understand why and when certain moves or patterns are played.

I'm also a really big fan of the improvements that Chess.com has made to the post-game evaluation and analysis. It's neat to have the engine run through the game, find all the fuckups, and offer you a second chance to see the correct move. Basically, it serves you a set of puzzles based on the key moments of your game; I think it's really cool and helpful.

Lichess does that too, they call it "Learn from your mistakes". It's great.

When I first started I struggled to complete 10 minute games, I'd spend too much time thinking in unfamiliar spots which was every spot. Now I can play 10+0 pretty well and only flag less than half the time in blitz.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Tactics are always one of the most important things no matter your level. https://www.chess-tactics.org is a great website/book thing that actually takes the time to explain how they work and what to look for. It's a real good place to start.

Link is broken, it should have no hyphen: https://www.chesstactics.org/

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

qsvui posted:

Link is broken, it should have no hyphen: https://www.chesstactics.org/

Ahh thanks!

It's a drat good site.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

fisting by many posted:

I'd spend too much time thinking in unfamiliar spots which was every spot.
I flag a lot in games shorter than 5+3 and partly I blame playing with a trackpad, it's just hard to drag the pieces accurately fast enough, but part of it is definitely spending my time unwisely. Especially at the level I'm at, acting quickly is often as important as finding the best - or sometimes even a good - move. sure, i'll often get punished for rushing and blundering but by and large I perform better and have more time when it counts of I push myself to hurry a bit

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I was watching this video on Sicilian move orders and it struck me how learning an opening often requires learning other openings.
The example given in the lecture is the "O'Kelly" Sicilian with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 a6. In this position the normal move 3. d4 is pretty much a blunder according to the masters database (though it's the most common move in the overall Lichess database and doesn't do so bad). Instead the best move (which discourages this opening in top-level play) is 3. c3 where you're in the c3 Sicilian with Black having made an unnecessary move in a6. But to do this of course you need to know the c3 Sicilian!

Even though this won't come up much for non-masters, you don't really expect to be making theoretical opening mistakes on move 3. It's nice to learn this kind of thing if only to understand why opening move orders are the way they are.

edit: another example from the video is in the Najdorf which reminds me of a question I asked earlier in this thread:
After 6. Nb3, the instinct for the Najdorf player is e5, but that's a mistake. Instead black usually plays g6 (the Dragon), or e6 (followed by the Keres attack with g4 which usually happens in the Scheveningen), which are "other" openings.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 6, 2022

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I got caught by an opening trap in the French Defence today (I was White) and lost. I looked over the game and identified the move where my game fell apart and why. Then I matched the same player a short time later and played out the opening in exactly the same way but I didn't make the mistake that fell into the trap this time, and got a solid win. The opponent taking a million years on each move once I didn't fall into their trap was soooo satisfying.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

I got caught by an opening trap in the French Defence today (I was White) and lost. I looked over the game and identified the move where my game fell apart and why. Then I matched the same player a short time later and played out the opening in exactly the same way but I didn't make the mistake that fell into the trap this time, and got a solid win. The opponent taking a million years on each move once I didn't fall into their trap was soooo satisfying.

nice! can i see the moves leading up to the opening trap?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

nice! can i see the moves leading up to the opening trap?

Here is the position where I got trapped, or blundered. I'm white to move on move #6. I somehow thought my d4 pawn was only doubly defended so I tried to defend it again with Be3 which of course abandons the defense of my b pawn. After ...Qxb2 I realized my game was going to fall apart with the loss of my c pawn as well and tried to defend everything with Qb3, losing my rook, so I resigned.

When we played again I played everything up to the depicted position but did not overprotect the d pawn and left my b pawn defended, developing to:

If he takes the "free" d pawn (NxP, NxP, QxN) he loses the queen to discovered check. He did see that threat and avoided it, but he spent a LOOOOONG time on that move and most of the subsequent moves.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

..Also come join the discord.

There's a Discord server?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rooney McNibnug posted:

There's a Discord server?

Sent you a PM with a discord invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Can I have an invite too please? Assuming it's not completely dead.