Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. yoko's fine. she's a fanservice character but she gets a lot of genuine moments with other characters and some cool fights.

the main reason you might criticize gurren lagann's hadnling of female characters in particular would just be cause it's not as cool as like diebuster or re:cutie honey a few years earlier where the women are the leads and all the stakes of the story are based in their arcs and relationships with others but like as old school mecha stuff goes it's, pretty okay about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On the other hand they just can't let Yoko be happy in Gurren Lagann, anyone she likes dies as soon as they kiss her

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. a lotta people die in gurren lagann. like a whole bunch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah sure a lot of people die, but doing the kiss of death thing twice with Kamina and Kittan just kinda turns her into a prop in their stories.

It's not helped by Nia being largely a non-presence in the second half of the series so there's not really even any other prominent women in the cast to counterbalance it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
never saw the series, is it a must watch or passable?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm also now remembering how hackneyed I found the "we're gonna kill off all the side characters in a row" episode

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

eh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's pretty good, but it's not a must watch at this point in time, no.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I used to love it, but I tried to rewatch Gurren Lagann a few years back and it just did almost nothing for me. I think I made it to episode 9 or 10 maybe? I don't think it's must-watch these days, no.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

its got a lot of great animation/spectacle but the story is just okay. really depends on how well that sort of show plays for you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

it's an interesting bit of late 2000s gainax with some cool ideas and ambition, and a strong sense of style. there's lots of other cool mecha though so it kinda depends on what you want to watch out of a mecha anime, gurren is very heavily an homage to older super robot shows the staff loved

personally i'd give a bigger rec to the busters, i dont love gunbuster but it's got a strong sense of style and is a pretty short watch and diebuster shares a lot in common with gurren but its core themes a bit more unique. mainly just, is actually a bit too short and would benefit from more episodes

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m caught up to March Comes Like a Lion, or at least I think so since the last chapter on Mangadex was translated ten days ago. Little surprised there’s not a thread for it since it’s still ongoing, if slowly.

i kinda figured Rei getting a girlfriend would make him realize he was never that passionate about shogi but it almost seems like the opposite is happening.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, I just finished Gurren Lagann. Whoever said it noticeably improves starting around the eighth episode was right, incidentally.

Pros:

- Great combat animation
- Good escalation of stakes/scenarios
- Always fun to hear adult Gohan pop up somewhere, even if I found Kamina annoying
- Also, love the Xenosaga representation here, with both KOS-MOS and Rubedo making appearances
- I like the idea of "believe in someone else who believes in you" being a viable gateway to self-confidence and, in a show like this, character growth
- I initially didn't like the flood of side characters introduced as part of the team, but once I started thinking of them as the equivalent of crew members you pick up in Skies of Arcadia, I came around on the big cast

Cons:

- The first third of the show was a pretty rough sit, and that's a lot of show not to have enjoyed
- After that, the pacing improved a lot but remained inconsistent
- What little comedy there was never landed since it mostly amounted to tit jokes and gay panic
- The combat got really repetitive; almost every fight had the same solution
- The soundtrack underwhelmed me
- I didn't find any of the villains compelling, and given that the protagonists were so one-note outside of kid Simon and sometimes Nia, that was probably the biggest death blow for the series

The only mecha-related anime I've seen is Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I'm sure there were a lot of references that went over my head that might've spiced things up.

I recently made a list of every anime I've watched where I group them into seven buckets: favorites, loved, enjoyed, conflicted, underwhelmed, disliked, hated. I think this one is going into the conflicted bucket right in the middle. I don't regret the time I spent watching it, but nothing about it will ever lead me to revisit it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gurren Lagann owns wtf is going on here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gurren lagann's soundtrack underwhelmed you...?

what does it take to whelm you

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

verbal enema posted:

15 years passing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

verbal enema posted:

the show not being what they want out of a mecha anime probably

show's good for what it is but based on all the specific complaints i think, they just might not be that into its specific brand of classic mecha anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway my mecha anime rec for you is nadesico. that show aired around the same time as eva and had a similarly big cultural impact and i think is an equally good show, you might find stuff to like about it if what you want is something a bit weirder that has a goofy sense of humor but still largely treats its cast with an interesting level of depth

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

everyone should watch nadesico

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Though Prince of Darkness is probably skippable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mellowink is a fun mecha show if you like your entire show being boss fight episodes where the protagonist fights scopedogs on foot with a harpoon gun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kirbysuperstar posted:

Watch the series, ignore the movie unless you're just really into being sad and disappointed

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Watch the series, ignore the movie unless you're just really into being sad and disappointed

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

surf rock posted:

I finally realized what Yoko from Gurren Lagann reminds me of: Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters.

I don't know if anything timestamps this show as an '00s production more than her character or the way the "camera" is positioned every time she's on-screen. Like, I'm also watching Keijo!!!!!!!! so it's not as though I'm opposed to anime boobs, but there's something about this specific character archetype that feels really antiquated.

her biggest crime is not being as cool as Revy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ninjoatse.cx posted:

it's basically Dragonball Z but with mecha. it's very over the top and most fights get won by whoever screams harder. it's very slick and stylish and if you're watching it for the actual story it'll be a complete snooze fest. but the action is fun to watch and the characters have cool drip.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Bought the gurenn lagann bluray set a while back and have yet to watch it. Is the compilation movie better than the series?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

prince of darkness is the movie which is not worth the time

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

watch macross 7

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Bought the gurenn lagann bluray set a while back and have yet to watch it. Is the compilation movie better than the series?

Naw. It abridges or outright scraps a bunch of emotional beats that are pretty core to the series in favor of adding more spectacle. Makes for a fine way to revisit the series but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to experience the series for the first time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I’m caught up to March Comes Like a Lion, or at least I think so since the last chapter on Mangadex was translated ten days ago. Little surprised there’s not a thread for it since it’s still ongoing, if slowly.

i kinda figured Rei getting a girlfriend would make him realize he was never that passionate about shogi but it almost seems like the opposite is happening.

I don't know if Nikaidou would have been able to handle it if that had happened so i'm glad Rei is sticking with the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

surf rock posted:

- The soundtrack underwhelmed me
dang, of all things GL does I figured the soundtrack was the most unassailable

Drill to the Heavens With Your XXX!!, To Hell With Your Combination, Rap is a Man's Soul!, Bafbaf, How Great is my Trumpet, Poison Prison, The Blue Monday E'r'ectrical Parade, Libera Me From Hell, Love Conservative, not to mention Sora Iro Days being an all-timer OP, as well as Happily Ever After, the soundtrack had so many music tracks that imo added a lot to the scenes they were in and was such a wild and varied OST

Lube Enthusiast posted:

as compilation movies go they're okay, but I think you should just watch the alternate ending sequences from each movie and call it good there

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Arist posted:

Yeah sure a lot of people die, but doing the kiss of death thing twice with Kamina and Kittan just kinda turns her into a prop in their stories.

It's not helped by Nia being largely a non-presence in the second half of the series so there's not really even any other prominent women in the cast to counterbalance it.

tbf, Kittan is so unimportant, it's more like he's a prop in her story

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey now, he had that badass bit with the shotgun!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Captain Invictus posted:

dang, of all things GL does I figured the soundtrack was the most unassailable

Drill to the Heavens With Your XXX!!, To Hell With Your Combination, Rap is a Man's Soul!, Bafbaf, How Great is my Trumpet, Poison Prison, The Blue Monday E'r'ectrical Parade, Libera Me From Hell, Love Conservative, not to mention Sora Iro Days being an all-timer OP, as well as Happily Ever After, the soundtrack had so many music tracks that imo added a lot to the scenes they were in and was such a wild and varied OST

as compilation movies go they're okay, but I think you should just watch the alternate ending sequences from each movie and call it good there

These are all fine and work well in the show, but the only one that made it on to my playlist was Sora Iro Days, and I was expecting to like several songs from this show enough to save them. Just didn't happen for me, idk.

When I first came to this forum a couple of years ago to get feedback on some recommendations I'd received from friends, probably the most common feedback was "don't watch Kill la Kill, it's just a worse Gurren Lagann." I ended up watching them both, and I gotta say I liked the former more. The plots/settings/visuals are similarly insane, but the character of Mako Mankanshoku single-handedly lifted it to another level. Her comedy and the emotional beats of her friendship with Ryuko made me a lot more engaged and invested.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

i really liked gl many years back when i watched it. the first few episodes are really boring imo.
the problem is that i also really liked kill la kill many (oh god... 2014 was 30 years ago) years ago, but i imagine rewatching it now is probably going to be a different experience

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It owns

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbh even remembering a music track from a tv show or movie basically elevates it to God tier. even good soundtracks are usually highly forgettable.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dont lose youR wAAAAAAAAAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Watch Panty & Stocking with Garter Belt instead.