Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

jalapeno_dude posted:

No, sadly the baby troll isn't at the end of the quest chain, but instead is an incredibly rare untradeable/unsellable dungeon drop that *also* happens to be required to spawn the Labyrinthos S rank. Whoever designed the EW S ranks hates the hunt community almost as much as the hunt community hates itself.

The fact that the hunt community spawned this S rank the day its first window opened up should tell you the hunt community hates itself more than the developers ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

iPodschun posted:

They show her in the butler outfit but I don't remember if they fully confirmed that you can freely glamour her. It may be a locked choice sort of thing, like how glamours for the trust NPCs are just them in different outfits they've worn throughout the game.

Nah, they've 100% confirmed you can fully glamour Ameliance's appearance once you've completed her quests, with zero restrictions on options. I went looking to see if I could find where they said that, but I don't exactly remember where it was. It was one of the streams about 6.1, though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Huh, I must've hit undo or something, this was meant to be part of my other post too.

jalapeno_dude posted:

No, sadly the baby troll isn't at the end of the quest chain, but instead is an incredibly rare untradeable/unsellable dungeon drop that *also* happens to be required to spawn the Labyrinthos S rank. Whoever designed the EW S ranks hates the hunt community almost as much as the hunt community hates itself.

You're missing out of you're unaware of the full adventures of Shaggles.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxMq_hqhTU-fr8qhn5Z79L7pOrk7wxUAwV
(There are EW spoilers in the full version of that video, so beware. The clip is safe, though.)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

For anyone else who's allergic to videos that can easily be text (I know, people gotta make money and text doesn't measure engagement but come on this is one bullet point from a slide in a LiveLetter) you will need to do the questlines for "Steppe Child" (this is an aether current anyway) and "What's in a Parent" (unlocked at 85), they end in a joint quest "A Budding Adventure".

Continuing the trend of "if a sidequest has a header image, it's worth doing" that highlights every other tribal prerequisite quest or something else they invested in making a cutscene for. If you're skipping these you missed a baby troll and who knows what else.

No actually, people don't gotta make money by producing a video that is literally just restating a PowerPoint slide. :colbert:

I guess if it helps people realize where the quest is if they otherwise wouldn't have known, that's a good thing even if it would be better if they just read patch notes instead.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Vermain posted:

After completing the quest, go to the Aetheryte Plaza and head south to the entrance of Wonder Square. You'll know it when you see it.

ok, that was funny but even better are the couple on the bench nearby. "El coloso means 'the coloso'" "Gasp!"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

No actually, people don't gotta make money by producing a video that is literally just restating a PowerPoint slide. :colbert:

I guess if it helps people realize where the quest is if they otherwise wouldn't have known, that's a good thing even if it would be better if they just read patch notes instead.

That's literally what he does, and also mentions the second quest in the line for the one that had an aether current attached.

I found it useful and it was like a minute long (after you skip the intros and poo poo), who cares? :shrug:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/Mrhappy1227/status/1533624186660220928?t=7u8H5EKUcQ5DKbCHZ0KU3Q&s=19

A picture takes a few seconds to absorb, clearly beating video and text :colbert:

Really though I prefer text to video when available too. It's a preference thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I have somehow never encountered a NIN Lala until now and I love that when they run around with their knives out their arms stick straight out like an airplane.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vermain posted:

After completing the quest, go to the Aetheryte Plaza and head south to the entrance of Wonder Square. You'll know it when you see it.

Just what I wanted, thanks!

Edit: this guy looks familiar, is he from a Fate chain or something?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 6, 2022

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Electric Phantasm posted:

I have somehow never encountered a NIN Lala until now and I love that when they run around with their knives out their arms stick straight out like an airplane.
That's why I dress like a pilot.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/Mrhappy1227/status/1533624186660220928?t=7u8H5EKUcQ5DKbCHZ0KU3Q&s=19

A picture takes a few seconds to absorb, clearly beating video and text :colbert:

Really though I prefer text to video when available too. It's a preference thing.

Thanks, I was getting irrationally angry skimming a video just to find a single quest name :D

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Doing 100% sidequest completion for endwalker really helps with finding new patch stuff easily lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Endwalker was the first time I did every last sidequest. I've been slowly going back and clearing them out zone by zone in the older expansions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I need to seriously cull my glam dresser. Hey what does this random hat drop look like?"

"...dangit."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Extremely focused question but I figured I'd try.

Does any play this on one of the M1 Macs? If so, how's it run?

limp dick calvin fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 7, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

whalestory posted:

Thanks, I was getting irrationally angry skimming a video just to find a single quest name :D

There's a time and place for each kind of presentation. I like videos for when I'm studying a boss for the first time, since the visual aid of seeing what the effect or mechanic looks like helps me memorize it. After, I like text to give me a quick reminder of what to expect if I haven't run something in a while or if the content is relatively simple. Infographics are great when you need to convey information in a specific order, like a quest progression or rotation, though these usually require text as well which presents an accessibility concern.

The problem is that the need to monetize everything means often things that are more concisely presented as text or an infographic are instead put into a video with a minute long intro bidding you to like subscribe and share, another minute of plugging the sponsor, and then three minutes explaining how we got here to get to the thirty seconds of actionable information. It's recipe article syndrome, but more annoying because you have to scrub through all the frames instead of just scrolling to the bottom of the page.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Extremely focused question but I figured I'd try.

Does any play this on one of the M1 Macs? If so, how's it run?

I've got an M1 Macbook Air I'll leave the game running on while I'm watching stuff in the living room. Performance is...unremarkable? I can get almost 60 FPS at native resolution at Standard (Laptop) settings on it when idle outside of my house. Going to Limsa tanks that to about ~30 FPS. Instanced content outside of 24-player raids is fine.

The real kicker is a recent MacOS update removed a dependency that the official FFXIV port requires to run months ago, and Square Enix has been dragging their feet on updating the official client to get around that, so if you want to play on MacOS you need to either manually install that missing dependency (some old version of Python) yourself, or you need to go through a third party launcher which...happens to improve performance, lets you use your Windows/Steam license instead of having to buy a separate set of MacOS licenses, and adds support for ACT and Dalamud plugins on MacOS. Highly recommended going the latter route instead of playing on the official client.

[Edit] Basically no matter which M1 Mac device you buy, keep your expectations in check with how it runs compared to a Windows install with a dedicated graphics card. Yeah, that it runs at all is neat, but on an M1 Mac you'll basically be running it through 1-2 emulation layers on a glorified mobile cpu/gpu. A native MacOS port would be really neat but I don't think that's likely given their MacOS support up until this point.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 7, 2022

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I've got an M1 Macbook Air I'll leave the game running on while I'm watching stuff in the living room. Performance is...unremarkable? I can get almost 60 FPS at native resolution at Standard (Laptop) settings on it when idle outside of my house. Going to Limsa tanks that to about ~30 FPS. Instanced content outside of 24-player raids is fine.

The real kicker is a recent MacOS update removed a dependency that the official FFXIV port requires to run months ago, and Square Enix has been dragging their feet on updating the official client to get around that, so if you want to play on MacOS you need to either manually install that missing dependency (some old version of Python) yourself, or you need to go through a third party launcher which...happens to improve performance, lets you use your Windows/Steam license instead of having to buy a separate set of MacOS licenses, and adds support for ACT and Dalamud plugins on MacOS. Highly recommended going the latter route instead of playing on the official client.

Thanks so much, this is super helpful! My 2014 Mac Mini isn't getting any further OS support so it looks like it's time to replace it. I'm so used to PS5 playing I'd probably mostly do mass crafting stuff so this sounds more than enough for me.

Also lmao that a macOS update killed the official launcher.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Warmachine posted:

There's a time and place for each kind of presentation. I like videos for when I'm studying a boss for the first time, since the visual aid of seeing what the effect or mechanic looks like helps me memorize it. After, I like text to give me a quick reminder of what to expect if I haven't run something in a while or if the content is relatively simple. Infographics are great when you need to convey information in a specific order, like a quest progression or rotation, though these usually require text as well which presents an accessibility concern.

The problem is that the need to monetize everything means often things that are more concisely presented as text or an infographic are instead put into a video with a minute long intro bidding you to like subscribe and share, another minute of plugging the sponsor, and then three minutes explaining how we got here to get to the thirty seconds of actionable information. It's recipe article syndrome, but more annoying because you have to scrub through all the frames instead of just scrolling to the bottom of the page.

In fairness to the guy in this particular video its only 3 min and it is useful to have video footage showing exactly where the NPC's that start the quests are, especially since on of the quest chains starts as an aether current quest so most people will be half way through it. So I didn't find it particularly bothersome in this case.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Servers down, time to show off my newest commission I got. :3:

https://twitter.com/palastel/status/1533891691425439744

They managed to hit a perfect 'warm and friendly, but maybe a teeny bit of weariness' expression, which I love.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Good poo poo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh holy crap, this is in here too?

Alpha,
Ameliance, Tataru, Hildibrand.... Everyone is Here

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Patch notes: https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/79c2dbd58934567d0c65820163c86abb201c2437

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Not as many PvP changes as I expected. A couple minor nerfs to NIN (Sprint cancels Hide, Meisui's heal reduced by 2k), and some reversions to BLM's buffs (Paradox lost it's charges, Half-asleep doesn't slow, Soul Resonance only provides a 10% damage reduction).

I am happy to see this fixed in the Resolved Issues:
• An issue wherein switching to a gear set linked to a portrait caused instant portraits to display default images under certain circumstances.

At least, assuming they're taking about the annoying issue where Job-based elements could cause plates to not switch, so you had to do it manually.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

Players can gain the ability to cast glamours on Ameliance by raising her satisfaction level to the maximum.

You will indeed be able to make the twins' mom wear the 2B pants.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Minor datamining info from the patch:

New titles-
Sastifaction 5: Amie d'Améliance / Ami d'Améliance
150 collectibles turned in: Academic Advocate
Rank 7 (Sworn) with the new tribe: Hippo Hero

New set (Scrip, I think?) is "Appointed" gear.

The Alpha/Omega quest gives Flow Together orchestrion roll as a reward.

Also, this isn't actually newly known from this patch, but since it's coming up soon: this year's Moonfire Faire will have a new jump course.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hogama posted:

Also, this isn't actually newly known from this patch, but since it's coming up soon: this year's Moonfire Faire will have a new jump course.

FINALLY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To apparently the Twinmom's quest is "Student Loans Are Bullshit, gently caress Them" so I'm already onboard.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Not sure what I was expecting the theme of the Arkasadora tribe to be, but it wasn't that. I'm not complaining though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why is this girl scared of the elephant people again? I must have missed something

Also who is this girl again

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ok, holy poo poo, the new Hildy quests are some of the best content in the game. Got me literally laughing out loud.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Macaluso posted:

Why is this girl scared of the elephant people again? I must have missed something

She's from the stepp, where the elephant people aren't so nice

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

She's from the stepp, where the elephant people aren't so nice

I straight up don't even remember the elephant people from he steppe

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Macaluso posted:

Because they're not even NPCs. They're mobs you can find northeast of the Namazu base, you do some quests relating to dealing with them.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Back in the Azim Steppe, the Matanga are incredibly hostile and are a threat to the various Au Ra tribes that live there. The Arkasodara, on the other hand, are almost entirely opposite to the Matanga, aside from being the same race.

Thus, someone with no exposure to the Arkasodara but a lot to the Matanga has a lot of preconceptions to get around towards the former when they encounter them while traveling.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Macaluso posted:

She’s from the Azim Steppe and thinks the Elephant People are violent warriors who crush Au Ra beneath giant elephant feet.

Macaluso posted:

It’s an A Rank hunt called the Gajasura.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

I had no idea this dude existed. I thought the Matenga were a whole new model created for Endwalker.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Because they're not even NPCs. They're mobs you can find northeast of the Namazu base, you do some quests relating to dealing with them.

Do you deal with them in the MSQ at all or just yellow quests? Cause if it's the MSQ then yeesh I have a bad memory

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

There's also just a cave system full of them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah the caves beneath and near the namazu area/westish of the dawn throne has em ready to beat asses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Macaluso posted:

Do you deal with them in the MSQ at all or just yellow quests? Cause if it's the MSQ then yeesh I have a bad memory

Only on yellow cutsceneless quests and Namazu dailies, so don't feel bad.