Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

flashman posted:

Am I missing something or are the complaints about bill s-7 all missing the mark? I've seen a bunch of articles and poo poo about how it's an erosion of freedom but as far as I knew before they didn't need a reason at all to search your phone and poo poo. Maybe I'm missing something?

They claimed not to need a reason. Turns out that the Charter means that "no actual reason" is not a valid threshold for a search, at least according to the Alberta Court of Appeal. The big issue with S-7 is that it pretends to codify a meaningful threshold while actually codifying "no actual reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

tagesschau posted:

They claimed not to need a reason. Turns out that the Charter means that "no actual reason" is not a valid threshold for a search, at least according to the Alberta Court of Appeal. The big issue with S-7 is that it pretends to codify a meaningful threshold while actually codifying "no actual reason."

I was familiar with the Alberta Court case but it didn't seem to have effected the number of device inspections according to the CBSA website.

Either way its a garbage policy so I'm somewhat splitting hairs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Starks posted:

It seems weird to say this about a party that lost their third election in a row less than a year ago. They got those memberships from PP’s stance on pandemic restrictions, which isn’t going to mean much by 2025. And thanks to the NDP-Lib agreement an early election is not in the cards.

2025 is so far away.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Starks posted:

It seems weird to say this about a party that lost their third election in a row less than a year ago. They got those memberships from PP’s stance on pandemic restrictions, which isn’t going to mean much by 2025. And thanks to the NDP-Lib agreement an early election is not in the cards.

Just quoting this since Peter Pepper is now anti-all-mandatory-vaxx, in case we get smallpox/measles/polio resurgences by 2025 or we're all scrambling for orangutanpox vaccines.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I say randomly chosen I don't mean out of the pool of candidates that signed up. Someone in the riding just gets a letter in the mail saying "congrats, you're now an MP. Here's the salary and benefits, good luck!".

Your optimism about people is adorable and I envy your not having to have dealt with the general public much.

Arguably, my optimism about the people who do step forward as MPs is just as adorable though, so I guess we should just meet at The Keg for garlic toast and a beer sometime and drink until we pass out.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

As bad as our government is, at least it isn't made up of 300-500 random citizens. Optimistic as you may be about the general public (using your own perfectly rational self as the template), you may as well just get rid of the concept of governance if that is what you are replacing it with.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Mostly because a lot of people aren't taking him as a serious threat and are underestimating scared white people and the "team sports" voters. Conservatives seem to have figured out what NuPolotik looks like while everyone else is still playing the old game.

I wouldn't say "Conservatives" in general.

Doug Ford's election strategy was classic incumbent stuff. He mostly rode familiarity mixed with apathy to a win. He made, what, one campaign promise? Mostly he did nothing because he didn't have to do anything, as the opposition ran uninspiring campaigns. It is dissimilar with the stuff getting flung around in the federal conservative leadership race.

While PP is certainly trying some stuff out, it seems more like cargo cult behaviour. He is cribbing US republican talking points, and it might not play well in Canada. Vaccines are popular here. Amongst conservative voters too. I bet it won't work. Pre-COVID-19, anti-vaxxers were out there but were mostly the subject of withering derision. By 2025, we'll probably be back to the reality of 90% of the public thinking that wiping out smallpox was a good thing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

eXXon posted:

Just quoting this since Peter Pepper is now anti-all-mandatory-vaxx, in case we get smallpox/measles/polio resurgences by 2025 or we're all scrambling for orangutanpox vaccines.
It's also possible that Never Poilievre people signed up just to get a candidate who can win. Voters might have poo poo memories, but running on anti-vax and chumming around with nazis who laid siege to Ottawa isn't going to wash off in three years.

Maneck posted:

While PP is certainly trying some stuff out, it seems more like cargo cult behaviour. He is cribbing US republican talking points, and it might not play well in Canada. Vaccines are popular here. Amongst conservative voters too. I bet it won't work. Pre-COVID-19, anti-vaxxers were out there but were mostly the subject of withering derision. By 2025, we'll probably be back to the reality of 90% of the public thinking that wiping out smallpox was a good thing.
If there's one thing you can count on in Canada, it's taking pride in fake moral superiority over Americans. I think it was an op-ed in the Globe that pointed out former finance critic Pierre Poilievre doesn't actually believe in Bitcoin, but he thinks talking about Bitcoin will get some people to like him. He's one of the most unlikeable politicians of his generation and he knows his best shot is getting the hardcore Team Players. There aren't enough of those to counter getting shut out of the GTA.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 6, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

It's also possible that Never Poilievre people signed up just to get a candidate who can win. Voters might have poo poo memories, but running on anti-vax and chumming around with nazis who laid siege to Ottawa isn't going to wash off in three years.

It took 3 months of keeping Doug Ford away from cameras for Ontario voters to forget both of those things.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

It took 3 months of keeping Doug Ford away from cameras for Ontario voters to forget both of those things.

Ford wasn't in Ottawa for a photo op next to a pair of truck nuts, and they pretty much bricked up Queen's Park Crescent and Hospital Row for a month. Ontario had three splinter parties run last month because Ford brought passports in, however quickly they were gone, and the two major parties left of him said nothing about it while campaigning.

Like, you absolutely DO NOT gotta hand it to Doug Ford, but he's not in the same circle of hell as the worst of the CPC leadership candidates.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Doug Ford was not anti vax lmao come on.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

eXXon posted:

Most Canadians support vax mandates and that support increases when there’s an actual threat, if that happened he would lose even worse.

I’m more worried about PP moderating his rhetoric after he becomes party leader and making something like housing his key issue, only to swing to the right after he gets elected. But that would probably piss off those 300,000 new members who are tired of compromise candidates.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Crow Buddy posted:

As bad as our government is, at least it isn't made up of 300-500 random citizens. Optimistic as you may be about the general public (using your own perfectly rational self as the template), you may as well just get rid of the concept of governance if that is what you are replacing it with.

It worked for the birthplace of democracy.

We really need to start challenging some of these assumptions about "representative" democracy, because a 12% plurality of the population handing out majority control doesn't seem better to me then what you're afraid of.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
People selected at random would probably be way better than voting for candidates.

It's pretty much a given that most people in a position to even win an election are of the wealthier set. They all have a vested interest in protecting their class above others and arranging things to make their private lives better at our expense. Once they've accomplished this they then move back to other employment, protected from the decisions they make.

Alternatively, someone picked at random probably won't have the time and resources to establish these same conditions and once their term is done they'll also more likely be facing the results of their actions in office.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
I think without party discipline and institutional knowledge, the random citizens would not be able to control the bureaucracy. We would become a technocracy over a generation at most.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So, it would be different, but would it be worse?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

DynamicSloth posted:

It worked for the birthplace of democracy.

We really need to start challenging some of these assumptions about "representative" democracy, because a 12% plurality of the population handing out majority control doesn't seem better to me then what you're afraid of.

To be fair, I'm not particularly afraid of the idea and I am not even opposed. (Getting rid of the concept of governance to be clear.)

However, my potential blind optimism comes from a belief that the parts of our society that actually function well don't stem from good governing (though it doesn't hurt it), but that we collectively-ish choose for those things to be functional.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

infernal machines posted:

So, it would be different, but would it be worse?
Good question. The civil service is mostly here to help you, and has lots of ideas of how they could do it better, but are firewalled and selected against types that would seek political office. Notable exception for Toronto police chiefs :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I mean, history is rife with powerful mandarins and generally speaking that has been plenty lovely in its own way, but lovely in a way that is largely distinct from the way government fails to work now.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I am the master of eight legged essays. Better watch out as I get put in charge of electricity because I write about birds good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Being Canada, surely the ideal expression of the hamburger format will be preferred

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/MichaelRdrguez/status/1533940955530768384?t=ggY9DBimJwur5lljdKtviQ&s=19

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Seems like this public healthcare fad isn't serving the needs of ordinary Albertans. Time to cut funding and open it up to competition from the private sector.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maneck posted:

I wouldn't say "Conservatives" in general.

Doug Ford's election strategy was classic incumbent stuff. He mostly rode familiarity mixed with apathy to a win. He made, what, one campaign promise? Mostly he did nothing because he didn't have to do anything, as the opposition ran uninspiring campaigns. It is dissimilar with the stuff getting flung around in the federal conservative leadership race.

I don't share this optimism at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

This has the feeling of an incident that's going to create change. The healthcare system being strained to to COVID and whatnot lacks the immediate, visceral impact of a kindly old lady dying a violent death because our EMS system is hosed up.

I've heard more anger about this one story than, well, just about anything in recent memory.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

30 minutes seems positively speedy compared to BC

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

This has the feeling of an incident that's going to create change. The healthcare system being strained to to COVID and whatnot lacks the immediate, visceral impact of a kindly old lady dying a violent death because our EMS system is hosed up.

I've heard more anger about this one story than, well, just about anything in recent memory.

At what point do we start talking about noncompliance with the Canada Health Act?

quote:

Accessibility

12 (1) In order to satisfy the criterion respecting accessibility, the health care insurance plan of a province must provide for insured health services on uniform terms and conditions and on a basis that does not impede or preclude, either directly or indirectly whether by charges made to insured persons or otherwise, reasonable access to those services by insured persons;

14 (1) Subject to subsection (3), where the Minister, after consultation in accordance with subsection (2) with the minister responsible for health care in a province, is of the opinion that

(a) the health care insurance plan of the province does not or has ceased to satisfy any one of the criteria described in sections 8 to 12, or

(b) the province has failed to comply with any condition set out in section 13,

and the province has not given an undertaking satisfactory to the Minister to remedy the default within a period that the Minister considers reasonable, the Minister shall refer the matter to the Governor in Council.

wait....

hang on, that doesn't... this doesn't allow the feds to administer the program? It only allows them to stop paying for the province to not administer it?!

I can't be reading this right

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think unlike in the States, this is a bit more of a threat, since that creates a budget shortfall that might actually have electoral consequences.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think unlike in the States, this is a bit more of a threat, since that creates a budget shortfall that might actually have electoral consequences.

In Alberta the consequences would be "UPC voted in 99% majority for perpetuity because Trudeau was very mean to us" and "Alberta privatizes healthcare like they've been trying to for decades"

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

yippee cahier posted:

30 minutes seems positively speedy compared to BC

Yeah. I had to wait 17 hours last year for 911 to show up.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pleads posted:

In Alberta the consequences would be "UPC voted in 99% majority for perpetuity because Trudeau was very mean to us" and "Alberta privatizes healthcare like they've been trying to for decades"

Exactly my thinking, yeah.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

flakeloaf posted:

At what point do we start talking about noncompliance with the Canada Health Act?

wait....

hang on, that doesn't... this doesn't allow the feds to administer the program? It only allows them to stop paying for the province to not administer it?!

I can't be reading this right

The federal government doesn't have the power to directly deal with healthcare. It's an explicitly provincial area of juridiction. So the health care act is a big hack where the federal government uses its power of taxation to take a big chunk of money and will only give it to a provincial government if they follow a bunch of rules about health care.

So yeah, all they can do is stop paying for it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yup. The federal gov't can't tell the provincial government what to do in cases of provincial things, but it can agree to give the province money if the province does what the federal gov't wants.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Reporting on reports or what the civil service actually does all day in a city like Toronto.

tl;dr: The number one way to ensure that you don't have to make a decision on an item before council is to refer it to staff for a report.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Endlessly producing reports about things is the Canadian way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tagesschau posted:

Endlessly producing reports about things is the Canadian way.

I don't know about that, could you produce a report with some data so we can be sure?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

https://twitter.com/jfromthepeg/status/1533941731653300225

The ghoul had the "honor" of talking about their new gay friend they met.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

https://twitter.com/jfromthepeg/status/1533941731653300225

The ghoul had the "honor" of talking about their new gay friend they met.

Please don't call her a ghoul. That's an insult to cannibalistic grave robbing monsters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That made me look up "who the gently caress is that?" and then made me say "oh makes sense."

Compare to ANDP MLA Janis Irwin, who got in trouble last year for openly taunting (or to use her accusers' word "harassing") the anti-gay demonstrators in Edmonton with a group of other LGBTQ folks. That's the sort of gay-as-gently caress energy we need in government. Government only by the queerest of queer people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 10, 2022