Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Ah that follows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

dayum girl

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Water you doin later :wiggle:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In Super Mario 64, when you go into a level, in that white screen showing what stars you've got just before you enter the level proper, an announcer (?) says something. I could never understand what was being said, something like "bup tego". Never really thought about it since.

Half way through watching a speedrun, I've realised it's just Mario saying "let'sa go!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Bup tego

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bup Tego is my favorite Star Wars EU character

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hyperlynx posted:

In Super Mario 64, when you go into a level, in that white screen showing what stars you've got just before you enter the level proper, an announcer (?) says something. I could never understand what was being said, something like "bup tego". Never really thought about it since.

Half way through watching a speedrun, I've realised it's just Mario saying "let'sa go!"

That particular voice clip always bugged me from the first time I heard it. For some reason, the intonation is exactly right that I could hear it as a completely different non-italian male announcer voice saying "let's pickle!", especially when there was other background noise going on. Then when I had "let's-a go!" in mind, it suddenly snapped back into place aurally and it was just the standard Mario accent again.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Whoop-ty go!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FreudianSlippers posted:

:gowron:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FreudianSlippers posted:

"So long, Gay Shitto!"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Captain Hygiene posted:

That particular voice clip always bugged me from the first time I heard it. For some reason, the intonation is exactly right that I could hear it as a completely different non-italian male announcer voice saying "let's pickle!", especially when there was other background noise going on. Then when I had "let's-a go!" in mind, it suddenly snapped back into place aurally and it was just the standard Mario accent again.

I always heard "Hump-pickle!"

...Of course, the speakers were lower quality back then.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Captain Hygiene posted:

My husband insists it's "The pickle!"

But he also calls Pokeys (enemy from Mario games) "Dry-Dries" after Dry-Dry Desert, despite numerous corrections on my part.

I'm not sure at this point if he does it just to annoy me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm just happy to find out I'm not the only person who heard something so specific like that, it's been bugging me since the game came out but I've never heard anyone else mention hearing "pickle" there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Silver Falcon posted:

My husband insists it's "The pickle!"

But he also calls Pokeys (enemy from Mario games) "Dry-Dries" after Dry-Dry Desert, despite numerous corrections on my part.

I'm not sure at this point if he does it just to annoy me.

How often does this come up in your marriage

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Huh, I didn't know Ben Shapiro's wife posts here.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Eh mostly only when we're playing a Mario game, so not that often. :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mex-ico!

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TnHW4yc0zU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, now I have a new podcast to listen to. Thank you so nice!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's definitely "The Pickle" :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLL7omvo9RI

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, now I have a new podcast to listen to. Thank you so nice!

I regret to tell you that Idle Thumbs de facto ended 4 years ago, but it is a truly foundational "dudes talking about video games" podcast.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

somepartsareme posted:

I regret to tell you that Idle Thumbs de facto ended 4 years ago, but it is a truly foundational "dudes talking about video games" podcast.

...oh, dang. Hm. Well, I did enjoy that excerpt, so maybe there's more of it that's still just good to listen to even if it's old.

edit: also, after clearing out a mission in Into the Radius I found myself muttering "Threat Neutralised" in Mario's voice

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

"Diaper Adventure!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Family guy wears glasses.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
A secretary is someone you entrust with your secrets

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Yer a secret, 'Arry

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Splendid posted:

Checks out with the OED, unlike my windoor

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Captain Splendid posted:

A general secretary is someone who entrusts your secrets with them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
We're creatures because we've been created. (I mean that's the etymology.)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We're creatures because we've been created. (I mean that's the etymology.)

I like your spirit, you animal.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
In Australia, we have these signs (for when you're going the wrong way down the road):

I've just realised that the horizontal line in the middle is to separate the two clauses, not to underline the word "way" which always struck me as an odd choice of words to emphasise.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lady Disdain posted:

In Australia, we have these signs (for when you're going the wrong way down the road):

I've just realised that the horizontal line in the middle is to separate the two clauses, not to underline the word "way" which always struck me as an odd choice of words to emphasise.

I've literally never noticed the line in over twenty years of driving

Now I will never unsee it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

iajanus posted:

I've literally never noticed the line in over twenty years of driving

Now I will never unsee it

How.. how often do you cone across that sign while driving? :ohdear:

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How.. how often do you cone across that sign while driving? :ohdear:

Just the one time I had a ladder with me. It’s really difficult to arc it that high.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You’ll see them fairly often as a pedestrian as they are at junctions onto freeways and highways from access roads in cities here.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Lately I've been seeing a lot of two lanes that turn left and right, with respective signals, but the left-turn signal has an arrow pointing left whilst the right-turn signal has a sign that literally says "RIGHT TURN SIGNAL"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

credburn posted:

Lately I've been seeing a lot of two lanes that turn left and right, with respective signals, but the left-turn signal has an arrow pointing left whilst the right-turn signal has a sign that literally says "RIGHT TURN SIGNAL"

That sign is there to distinguish it from the through signal, so you don't think you can safely go straight through the intersection when it's trying to tell you that you can turn right.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

That sign is there to distinguish it from the through signal, so you don't think you can safely go straight through the intersection when it's trying to tell you that you can turn right.

Hmmm. If memory serves, it's a T-intersection; you can't go through. But I could be wrong. Now I need to seek out where I've seen this (two different locations in the next town over) and investigate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fun fact: the ones who drive the wrong way are called "spøgelsesbillister" in danish, that is "ghost drivers"

it always makes me think of the spooky ambulance from Riget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijlYkLFdAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Carthag Tuek posted:

fun fact: the ones who drive the wrong way are called "spøgelsesbillister" in danish, that is "ghost drivers"

it always makes me think of the spooky ambulance from Riget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijlYkLFdAk

That series scared the poo poo out of me when it came out, I would've been about 10. The ambulance, Mary in the elevators, Udo Kier as a hosed up devil baby, DANSK JÄVLAR!!!!!
I briefly worked at a big hospital, and whenever I'd have to go through the tunnels to pick up a bed or whatever, I thought about Riget. Brr.

I'm gonna put that on my re-watch list, I bet it's hilarious now.