Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

hopeandjoy posted:

Also that is the least surprising twist known to man. Teenagers on forums, especially roleplay forums, are the absolute leaders in faking tragedies for clout, especially deaths.

it's the teenage drama equivalent of a Monty Python sketch where the writers decided they needed to end a sketch so they'd have someone draw a gun and shoot somebody

E: snipe tax:

Pikachu hates guns

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Lux Animus posted:

it's the teenage drama equivalent of a Monty Python sketch where the writers decided they needed to end a sketch so they'd have someone draw a gun and shoot somebody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vandar posted:

Oh there's new Reborn development lore.

The suicide never happened. The people the gym leaders were based on never existed. Amethyst was playing like twenty different people on the roleplay forum and tricked everyone into thinking they were real. The person who killed himself IRL never hosed existed.

What the hell when did that drop? I don't recall this from OFS' let's play and that was my most recent contact with Reborn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doc Melonhead posted:

I have a feeling that Pokémon Colosseum is the darkest mainline connected games can get; and that's not include the trauma induced experience that was the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series.

Though, if Reborn were to get any darker, it would've start with Meteor having complete control over the region and you are recruited by the Pokemon League rebellion to retake all of their territories; with you arriving to a good drat warzone.

Doesn't Colosseum have a protagonist clearly styled after Dante complete with Espeon and Umbreon as equivalent to Ebony and Ivory?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Colosseum have a protagonist clearly styled after Dante complete with Espeon and Umbreon as equivalent to Ebony and Ivory?

No?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

White hair and wears blue huh? That's clearly a Vergil

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Kikas posted:

What the hell when did that drop? I don't recall this from OFS' let's play and that was my most recent contact with Reborn.
Looks like it happened in the dev room in the finished game or something. I found an imgur link.

It's five and a half images long, so I abridged it:

Ame posted:

>Originally, I was just roleplaying the Leader characters
>When I was doing the challenge for friends, there was no confusion about that.
>a user named Mashew joined at random [...] he didn't realise they weren't real
>He seemed to be having a lot fun, [...] so I didn't correct him.
>When others starting joining after him, they seemed to believe it all too.
>Months passed like this, and it was hard to keep up with all the challengers.
>Ikaru and Saya became my first co-hosts of the league,
>We swapped out League Hosts over the next few years,
>In general, it was never one player to one specific Leader though.
>There were two exceptions, being that for much of Season 2, I only played Amaria
>And for a while we had one line leader by the name of Tensi, who played Lin
>However, he eventually decided to leave the community
>He basically said "The Leaders are all fake and being played by us, and I'm sick of it, bye"
>the general tone of the community was
>let's just let the new folk keep believing [it's real] so they can enjoy it too
>The game began to be a thing at some point after that, and the League stopped being a thing at some point later,
>it seemed like everyone implicitly accepted the same thing.
>More fun to let the new players think it was all real
>I decided I'd keep it up until the game finished, but I really expected that to be, like, six years ago or so as opposed to only just now.
>there's been a lot of people who are morally concerned about it too
>And while those are fair concerns, they don't really apply.
>They were just fictional characters all along.
>I hope everyone will forgive me for keeping up the facade for more than a decade.
>I understand if not.
>Maybe let the new players have their fun still?
>Maybe not.
>It's in your hands now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

White hair and wears blue huh? That's clearly a Vergil

Yeah and Orre is West Texas?

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah and Orre is West Texas?

More like Southwest United States (mix of Arizona and California).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Shwoo posted:

Looks like it happened in the dev room in the finished game or something. I found an imgur link.

It's five and a half images long, so I abridged it:

Thinking about that one goon in the LP thread that was posting excerpts from an interview they did with Ame to get the "real" story, and how all of her answers were complete bullshit apparently.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Looks like a YuGiOh character.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

Looks like a YuGiOh character.

Nah, his hair is way too normal.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Who can forget Nascour and Evice though

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is the back is actually just from Kingdom Hearts. Just a lower res model of Riku during the ending or something.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Were the Elite 4 in original Diamond Pearl so minmaxed? Their coverage moves are bizarrely good in BDSP.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember them being so tough. In BDSP it's such a dramatic difficulty spike. I was absolutely breezing through the game and then all of a sudden it was like a punch in the face.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bogart posted:

Were the Elite 4 in original Diamond Pearl so minmaxed? Their coverage moves are bizarrely good in BDSP.

No, BDSP turbocharged the Elite Four and made them all absolutely terrifying.

They have good IVs and EV spreads.

They have strong movesets and held items.

Cynthia heard rumors that she might not be considered the Strongest Champion in the series anymore, and took offense.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vinylshadow posted:

I could never forget Sephiroth and his boss, Doctor Robotnik.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

See this is why I stopped watching the anime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It is kind of odd that the anime gave the Pokémon Snap protagonist an appearance but didn’t touch the Orre region at all for some reason

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hrist posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy is the back is actually just from Kingdom Hearts. Just a lower res model of Riku during the ending or something.

Oops all Rikus

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larryb posted:

It is kind of odd that the anime gave the Pokémon Snap protagonist an appearance but didn’t touch the Orre region at all for some reason

Todd got in early on when they were building out a whole filler region to cope with how wildly popular Pokémon had become and that it was gonna be a forever series. He was also basically the only side character from anything at that point, every other Pokémon spinoff was stuff like Stadium or Pinball which didn't have like a plot or anything. So you might as well use him while scrambling to make content instead of inventing a new character.

By the time the Orre games came around the anime had a much more established formula and didn't need that kind of filler content. And Orre doesn't mesh well with the world the anime built so its easier to ignore it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 6, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lux Animus posted:

Oops all Rikus

They grow up so fast

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

man this is like an ink blot test for anime boys. I could convince myself he looks like at least a dozen different characters

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
So I hear the cycle has turned back to the discussion of Colosseum.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Framboise posted:

I don't remember them being so tough. In BDSP it's such a dramatic difficulty spike. I was absolutely breezing through the game and then all of a sudden it was like a punch in the face.

Yeah it was great. Winning those fights required me to actually think about strategy and it was about as thrilling as a Pokémon battle against an AI could be.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Pokemon Colosseum and to a lesser extent XD borrowed a bunch of elements from the 4th Pokemon movie. Shadow Pokemon were based on the main villain's dark balls, which corrupted Pokemon that were caught with them. Also Celebi's ability to purify stuff, as well as most of the major Pokemon being obtainable shadow Pokemon.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think there was also a filler arc in the anime where a Rocket scientist had devices that manipulated Pokemon into being highly aggressive and captured a Lugia, planning to do the same.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
the phrase 'Shadow Lugia Arc' has some very early livejournal vibes, it's true :haibrow:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

People talking about Coliseum/XD and haven’t brought up Mirror B yet, easily the best part of those games.

https://youtu.be/vqCIv8X92rc

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

People talking about Coliseum/XD and haven’t brought up Mirror B yet, easily the best part of those games.

https://youtu.be/vqCIv8X92rc

That's because Miror B is the only part most people remember about Pokemon Colosseum and XD most of the time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuzie posted:

That's because Miror B is the only part most people remember about Pokemon Colosseum and XD most of the time.

Which is weird because those games did what Dexit was allegedly done for much better. It's a much more focused experience dealing with a limited pool of pokemon focused on telling it's own narrative and take on the tone a pokemon game can have. and it does it well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So from doing a lot of max raid battles, I'm gathering there's some repeatable process for hosting raids with shiny pokémon? Seems like they're pretty common hosted under names that are URLs advertising sites or discords. Since I'm just encountering them in the in-game menu selection, it seems like any pokémon I get from it don't count as a hack or anything?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which is weird because those games did what Dexit was allegedly done for much better. It's a much more focused experience dealing with a limited pool of pokemon focused on telling it's own narrative and take on the tone a pokemon game can have. and it does it well.

People accepted that kinda thing a lot more readily in a spinoff game, especially a 3D one when the main series was still 2D, than a mainline title.

Personally I'm still a big fan of Pokemon Conquest.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

With Colosseum, as soon as you've beaten the main game, you can easily just trade the Pokemon you've caught and purified into a GBA game (at the time of Colosseum's release, it was just Ruby and Sapphire) and then breed them, provided that they were female since Ditto wasn't available yet.

I still remember that people were deeply upset that Gen 3 had no compatibility with Gen 2 and people had to completely restart their collections, but Twitter and social media didn't exist at the time so it wasn't amplified as it is today.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, the significant difference here is that all of Gen 3 (including the two Gamecube games) had all Pokémon built-in, so you could trade whatever you had in Ruby/Sapphire into Colosseum and whatever you got in FR/LG into Emerald and so on. With Gen 8 I can't even trade eg. a Wooloo into BDSP.

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018

Zuzie posted:

Pokemon Colosseum and to a lesser extent XD borrowed a bunch of elements from the 4th Pokemon movie. Shadow Pokemon were based on the main villain's dark balls, which corrupted Pokemon that were caught with them. Also Celebi's ability to purify stuff, as well as most of the major Pokemon being obtainable shadow Pokemon.

I have a feeling that it circle back to the Anime with Hunter J’s outfit similar to Wes(though she more or less function like Wario in Smash Bros. Brawl’s Subspace Emissary). It didn’t help that Pokemon Go later adopt the Shadow Pokemon, but you get them from Team Rocket themselves.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In BDSP, do I need to water my berries more than once? I have been watering them sometimes when they change to the next stage in their lifecycle but it is difficult to tell if that increases yield.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In BDSP, do I need to water my berries more than once? I have been watering them sometimes when they change to the next stage in their lifecycle but it is difficult to tell if that increases yield.

As far as I know, other than removing Mulch, BDSP didn't really change the system for growing Berries from DPPt, where it was surprisingly complex, with a system of keeping track of how watered the soil is, and if the invisible "watered" meter empties, the total berry yield will decrease more the longer it goes unwatered until you end up with the bare minimum berry yield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I haven't played BDSP, but if they didn't change the system from DPP, moisture is decreased by by a berry-specific percentage every hour after it was planted, and the yield is decreased every hour that the soil spends completely dry. Watering resets the moisture back to maximum, but doesn't reset the timer for when the moisture decreases next, so there's no point watering more than once an hour. I'm seeing conflicting things on whether it actually shows the soil dryness visually in BDSP, though. In DPP, the soil is brown for >50% moisture, orange for low moisture, and grey for no moisture.

So the most convenient method is to water your berries whenever the soil goes orange, assuming the game doesn't make you keep track of moisture levels manually.