Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

liquidypoo posted:

To be fair to this specific point, car washes are super important in the spring if you've been driving around on roads that were salted to clear away snow. Get a nice undercarriage wash to clear away all the salt and prevent your important vulnerable car bits from rusting through. Ask me how I know

Yes that's a fair point but also location specific. Where I'm from in Washington State the weather rarely gets bad enough to need to salt the roads for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Brawnfire posted:

"is typing" indicator

I would like to find the person that invented this "feature" and stab them in the face a few times.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

I would like to find the person that invented this "feature" and stab them in the face a few times.

Signal let's you turn it off if you want and I lived that way for a while but.... I like it now. It gives me extra dopamine to anticipate a message. More time spent knowing someone is paying attention to me. My brain has been broken

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Car Washes are at least a bit fun, you get to sit in the car as you watch a big machine do stuff from the inside. That scratches a certain itch, albeit a childish one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every now and then I'll go through with my kids just for that reason alone. Kills five minutes, and they talk about it for weeks afterwards.

Also I live in salt city, united states of road salt

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Every now and then I'll go through with my kids just for that reason alone. Kills five minutes, and they talk about it for weeks afterwards.

Also I live in salt city, united states of road salt

Sorry about all the mormons

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

poo poo, who isn't?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Waiting for an answer for a question to a friend and their "is typing" indicator just keeps appearing and disappearing. Seemingly forever.

When its your parents doing this and the product of 15 minutes of it appearing and disappearing is "okay sounds good..."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arrath posted:

When its your parents doing this and the product of 15 minutes of it appearing and disappearing is "okay sounds good..."

"I love you..."

thanks mom.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"I love you..."

thanks mom.

Millennial brain: gently caress she has cancer and isn't telling me.

Attention boomers: Ellipsis are not to be used lightly in text-based conversation!!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
People who think they're the first loving genius to do 'Tequila' at karaoke. loving college kids lose their loving minds when one of their buddies does Tequila but it is as common a fuckin staple at karaoke as Paradise, jfc

edit to admit I once thought I was a genius who did Tequila at karaoke

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arrath posted:

Millennial brain: gently caress she has cancer and isn't telling me.

Attention boomers: Ellipsis are not to be used lightly in text-based conversation!!!

Boomer ellipses are a strange phenomena. It seems to be global and across languages.

The next generation will hate current extremely online people because they insist on typing everything in lowercase to look cool.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

People who think they're the first loving genius to do 'Tequila' at karaoke. loving college kids lose their loving minds when one of their buddies does Tequila but it is as common a fuckin staple at karaoke as Paradise, jfc

edit to admit I once thought I was a genius who did Tequila at karaoke
I've done a lot of karaoke in a lot of cities and seen Tequila done maybe twice and I don't even know what song you're talking about with "Paradise", maybe your scene's uniquely bad

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Presumably Meat Loaf’s Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Paradise City and Paradise by the Dashboard Light are both karaoke staples so it could be either

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You're all wrong, apparently none of you have had to hear Summer Nights (Dirty Version) :smithicide:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was at a karaoke bar with a friend of a friend who heard I'd been in Grease in highschool and INSISTED we do Summer Nights together. Which, I was all for, except she apparently didn't know anything about the song except it was from Grease and it was a duet... Sang the wrong notes, started in on the wrong part, etc. Dreadful. But we were pretty drunk, so fun anyhow

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Back when I was definitely gay not bi and my wife was my friend, we did A Whole New World from Disney Aladdin karaoke and she really through me off by belting out the Jasmine parts in the russian dub version. That's not a pet peeve I'm just bragging about being married to a good singer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Literally gently caress everything

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 11:41 on Jun 6, 2022

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Brawnfire posted:

Literally gently caress everything

Challenge accepted

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hardcordion posted:

Challenge accepted

Please start with yourself and radiate outwards.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Me: (hands clerk credit card) "I don't need a receipt."

Clerk: "Okay."

Hands me a receipt.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've wondered if that's one of the things where the cashier is required to follow some dumb mandated script but also required to ignore what the customer says.

*Buys single item at grocery store*
"Would you like a receipt?"
"No, thanks.'
*Receives receipt*

I assure you, no matter how bad things get, I will not return this package of turkey salami.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I have seen at least a couple stores/fast food joints near me that have little signs like,
"If you don't get a receipt, let a manger know and your meal is FREE!" or something like that, so yeah, just an over abundance of corporate training.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's becoming normal for checkouts to be automated in the UK and the machine gives you a choice of receipt or not, corporate people have realised that everyone hits the no button so human check outs are now offering the same choice.

My pet peeve is automatic checkouts asking you if you want to round up and donate money to a charity every single time. No, gently caress off, I'm not buying 29p economy washing up liquid because I've got 71p to give to loving charity am I? Why do you want to make me feel worse about being poor? What makes this absolute pisstaking is that your purchase is tied into a loyalty card, if someone hits no 3 times then the machine can be programmed to gently caress off asking.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I get receipts most times I shop, but electronically right on my phone.

Anyhow, I get any store just shoving receipts out because it's incredible how whiny some customers will be when they don't get them, and it's usually a bunch of hassle re-printing an older receipt (if the system is even capable of it.)

When I worked in retail there was a short while where the company decided that receipts shouldn't be printed automatically, and we should only give them if asked by the customer. Which honestly seems like a reasonable approach.
What happened is that most people were perfectly fine with it, a couple asked for them... And some would storm in furious a couple hours later demanding to ask why I hadn't printed a receipt for them. (God forbid you just ask about it politely.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got a second job at a Chipotle and now my coffee mug constantly smells like limes and avocado no matter how much I clean it, and I hate it, and then hate it more because I do not hate lime or avocado, they are both very good, just not when combined with coffee

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm taking some online training, and it will occasionally just kick me out even though I'm actively clicking next slide and answering quiz questions and what not.

It just fuckin logged me out even though it was still playing a slide I had just hit next to see. And it didn't properly save my progress and set me back like 35 slides in this module gently caress my liiiiife

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
loving DALL-E posts are everywhere.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have seen at least a couple stores/fast food joints near me that have little signs like,
"If you don't get a receipt, let a manger know and your meal is FREE!" or something like that, so yeah, just an over abundance of corporate training.

This is to prevent the cashier from ringing in your order at a lower amount (or not ringing it in at all if they're really brazen) and then pocketing the difference. A real issue with cash payments but obviously not such a big deal with credit cards.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, these are at best, very slightly amusing. Well, the first few anyway. Now they're just white noise, and it's been like two days lol.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Found myself with a need to have FB Messenger on my phone but I'm never going to install anything from Facebook on my phone.

Used to use Disa, now the 2FA says to use the 6-digit 2FA as the password after the initial login attempt -- doesn't work even after I approve the "browser"

Tried Trillian, it just fails outright.

Even turning 2FA off entirely doesn't work

I've told Facebook so many times now "this was me" after it's given me poo poo about it, and it does not work

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm annoyed by people who are judgey about air conditioning. "It's hot in Vietnam too and they don't need climate control beyond a fan, you just live in a poo poo house and are too sensitive. I don't even have a fan and it's nearly 28!"

Yeah, in Vietnam the average yearly temperature variant is 33 at the hottest days to 20 at the coldest nights. Here it's already 33 and that's projected to be low point for the week. That's normal, with coldest average nights in winter dropping to 8 and freezing not being uncommon. And that's on a humid river coastline. Where my mom lives it's 41 and it freezes for winter every year.

Climate control is required to make people not die in inland places. Being miserable in a lovely old apartment as seniors die of heat stroke each summer in larger numbers is just stupid. I don't really care how great brick and marble were for making apartments comfy in 1711 in Toulouse, Toulouse, everyone knows that's no longer the climate we live in.

e: I checked, the hottest day of my time in Toulouse was 36 and that was far and away the hottest day of summer, like everyone was miserable and people died. Highest ever 40. That isn't a peeve but it does make me feel smug at my toulosaine pal cuz drat, I'm digging having a lovely old building in a hot swamp with air conditioning. Highest temp ever here 45 :smug:

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Jun 12, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

We could significantly lessen our dependence on AC, by using smarter building techniques and vernacular architecture, which is adapted and optimized for local conditions.

Today we seem to insist on the same cookie cutter designs built for one climate, no matter where it is being built. Not to mention the giant glass monoliths that pass for office buildings.

Completely eliminating AC use is a utopia, but we can absolutely make a lot better use of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We should all just live in igloos.

Self cooling building.

Its just common sense.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We could also try to see if building more windmills is a viable option

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

learnincurve posted:

It's becoming normal for checkouts to be automated in the UK and the machine gives you a choice of receipt or not, corporate people have realised that everyone hits the no button so human check outs are now offering the same choice.

My pet peeve is automatic checkouts asking you if you want to round up and donate money to a charity every single time. No, gently caress off, I'm not buying 29p economy washing up liquid because I've got 71p to give to loving charity am I? Why do you want to make me feel worse about being poor? What makes this absolute pisstaking is that your purchase is tied into a loyalty card, if someone hits no 3 times then the machine can be programmed to gently caress off asking.

Companies aren't being altruistic anyway, they get the tax write-off of your aggregate donations. Since I already donate to my chosen cause on my own and I know this detail, I feel great about saying no to cashiers and stuff. Sure hope getting those donations isn't connected to their performance reviews I guess.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

KozmoNaut posted:

We could significantly lessen our dependence on AC, by using smarter building techniques and vernacular architecture, which is adapted and optimized for local conditions.

Today we seem to insist on the same cookie cutter designs built for one climate, no matter where it is being built. Not to mention the giant glass monoliths that pass for office buildings.

Completely eliminating AC use is a utopia, but we can absolutely make a lot better use of it.

Maybe it would be eliminated in this utopia, but my experience living for a few years without AC was hell for most of the year. I lived in a part of Germany where temperatures would approach or exceed 100 freedom units. Even with all the curtains drawn and multiple fans pointed at me it was like constantly being in that rhino from ace ventura when nature calls. Sleep was miserable. I'm used to sleeping with temperatures closer to 65-66 (68 if i'm trying to save money), not 80. Those few weeks a year when it went below freezing and I could actually be cold and could actually have a sheet on my bed without it feeling like a furnace were so nice.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe it would be eliminated in this utopia, but my experience living for a few years without AC was hell for most of the year. I lived in a part of Germany where temperatures would approach or exceed 100 freedom units. Even with all the curtains drawn and multiple fans pointed at me it was like constantly being in that rhino from ace ventura when nature calls. Sleep was miserable. I'm used to sleeping with temperatures closer to 65-66 (68 if i'm trying to save money), not 80. Those few weeks a year when it went below freezing and I could actually be cold and could actually have a sheet on my bed without it feeling like a furnace were so nice.

Germany does have a history of making it feel like an oven