Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

al-azad posted:

That reminds me, the backrooms fan videos are taking off on YouTube because I guess people discovered you can do it all in Blender. Some are good, most are people being chased by jiggly tube armed monsters. Not even video is safe from asset flips.

It's largely people all biting off the style of Kane Pixels, who has been doing these insanely high production value Backrooms videos that blend (ha ha) CG and live action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

SkeletonHero posted:

Listening to Tom Waits and I think "What's He Building?" is a good basis for a horror game. You're new to the area, probably foreign, it's the height of Cold War paranoia, and you're just trying to innocuously perform basic home repair/maintenance on the creepy old house you've moved into while your neighbors peep and snoop and assume the worst and eventually whip themselves into a full murderous mob if they gather enough "evidence." I guess it would kind of be a reversal of Hello Neighbor. Except good, hopefully.

That would be a good twist on the base-building genre: what you can build, and how quickly, is limited by the suspicions of your extremely snoopy and paranoid neighbors. It's not that you CAN'T build a dungeon in your basement, you just have to do it inconspicuously, one brick at a time so nobody can guess what you're doing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Mix. posted:

no i mean like paranatural 'this is a closed off dimension that escape from is incredibly hard on account of there literally being nothing outside of this specific location' type horror. in corpse party the school is literally the entirety of the dimension they've been sucked into, same for calling which is a series of isolated locations but there was something about using a cell phone frequency to transport yourself between them.

i just think its neat when the environment is a direct part of the horror (as in, the fear is 'will we ever be able to escape from this place'); death games are also my jam but those are still very much being ran by a guy so its less horror and more thriller :v:

another underutilized flavor imo (mostly because it's hard to pull off in a satisfying way) is the inexplicable death game

like, a lot of what was cool about Cube was that all the characters had theories on why it existed and why they were there, but no concrete answer was ever given- it was clearly designed but whether it was fulfilling its original purpose, alien in nature or some sick government project that got out of control was left in the air, with the sequels if anything just raising more questions

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Something like I am Legend would make a decent base for a survival horror game.

Fortify your base or sneak around raiding vampire lairs during the day. Defend your base from angry vampires during nights. Solid gameplay loop.

That was pretty much what the original plan for Alan Wake was before Remedy realised they'd never done a game of that scope before and had no idea how to

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1532832913619705856?t=YFRVyr3lE2JyNchPzPOeLw&s=19

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lunatic Sledge posted:

like, a lot of what was cool about Cube was that all the characters had theories on why it existed and why they were there, but no concrete answer was ever given- it was clearly designed but whether it was fulfilling its original purpose, alien in nature or some sick government project that got out of control was left in the air, with the sequels if anything just raising more questions

I mean I can understand if you refused to retain anything you saw of the Cube sequels but:
Hypercube doesn't answer any questions about Cube but it does very directly explain itself as "The hypercube is a US military project designed to test the creation of a real 4-dimensional space and the 'traps' are just components of the hypercube breaking down under the stress of being an object that shouldn't exist." It's also an awful movie but in a way that's very funny to watch with friends. A case of film makers obviously going for something specific and missing the mark by miles through sheer and obvious incompetence or lack of experience.
Cube Zero is probably the most painfully awful movie I've ever seen. It'd be unwatchably bad if it wasn't recontextualizing Cube, but the half-explanation it gives for poo poo is insultingly stupid. "Okay, Cube but this time the main character is a guy in a control booth. The people in the cube are death row inmates put in for experiments. We've added a main villain which is a quirky fedora wearing cyborg who quips about poo poo. The math savant in the original Cube is the main character in this one, punished for helping an innocent woman escape the cube with brain surgery that makes him in to a math savant."
Like drat dude the savant works in the original Cube because he serves as a 100% sure indication that at least some of the people in the cube are in there for reasons unrelated to their history, because there's nothing he could have done to 'deserve' being put in the cube. That they felt the need to add an actual like supervillain-esque antagonist to a Cube movie is stupider, but it's just awful all around.

Cube is a very good concept that the sequels don't understand the appeal of at all :v: I mean Hypercube kinda does but gives a little too much explanation and is also loving bonkers in how badly it's made.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Count Uvula posted:

I mean I can understand if you refused to retain anything you saw of the Cube sequels but:
Hypercube doesn't answer any questions about Cube but it does very directly explain itself as "The hypercube is a US military project designed to test the creation of a real 4-dimensional space and the 'traps' are just components of the hypercube breaking down under the stress of being an object that shouldn't exist." It's also an awful movie but in a way that's very funny to watch with friends. A case of film makers obviously going for something specific and missing the mark by miles through sheer and obvious incompetence or lack of experience.
Cube Zero is probably the most painfully awful movie I've ever seen. It'd be unwatchably bad if it wasn't recontextualizing Cube, but the half-explanation it gives for poo poo is insultingly stupid. "Okay, Cube but this time the main character is a guy in a control booth. The people in the cube are death row inmates put in for experiments. We've added a main villain which is a quirky fedora wearing cyborg who quips about poo poo. The math savant in the original Cube is the main character in this one, punished for helping an innocent woman escape the cube with brain surgery that makes him in to a math savant."
Like drat dude the savant works in the original Cube because he serves as a 100% sure indication that at least some of the people in the cube are in there for reasons unrelated to their history, because there's nothing he could have done to 'deserve' being put in the cube. That they felt the need to add an actual like supervillain-esque antagonist to a Cube movie is stupider, but it's just awful all around.

Cube is a very good concept that the sequels don't understand the appeal of at all :v: I mean Hypercube kinda does but gives a little too much explanation and is also loving bonkers in how badly it's made.

Cube Zero also implies that the death row inmates aren't actually that, though- that it may just be the story being told to the dudes in the booth so they won't feel guilty about being in the booth. The whole thing kicks off with one of the booth guys discovering the woman is in fact innocent, or at least, doesn't have a consent form available to the booth. His buddy brushes it off as a clerical error iirc but I always got the impression it was a bullshit story made up by whoever cyborg guy works for (if he even actually knows).

I absolutely did just black out on that line from Hypercube, though, and will fully cop to both sequels being total garbage (apparently worse than I remembered, thanks for loving my point up Hypercube), I just like the idea of the cube operators being in their own metaphorical cube, where despite running the logistics of the operation they are also being heavily monitored and have no idea what's going on

edit: see also, the reveal at the end of the original SAW where you find out the guy you think is Jigsaw is actually being forced to play a game where he runs one of the games etc

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 4, 2022

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I like cube and also the sequels even though they are dumb

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I suddenly need to watch Cube again, and also the sequels but for different reasons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cub3]e

]

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i enjoyed the timefuckeries in cube 2 but the guy killed by a screensaver was some :discourse: '00s bullshit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Exorcist 2/Cube 2 double feature

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Exorcist 2: Hyperexorcist

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

cube 4 where it's revealed to be a part of the hellraiser canon

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
with Cube Zero being Cube Zero I'm not even sure the fourth Cube would be Cube 4

they might have to call it like, Cube X, The Cube, or Cube 2.5 Final Mix

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
apparently there was a Japanese remake of the original that was released last year, has anyone seen it

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

c4be

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did any of you ever play My Lovely Daughter? I'm not gonna play it but a person I follow on youtube did a playthrough, but it is long. The game concept sounded like it would be leaning way towards being grimdark edgy and pointlessly cruel. Especially with stuff like this on the steam page.

quote:

ATTENTION
The dark and twisted themes of My Lovely Daughter are a commentary on child labor, abusive parenting, and ignorant societies. This game is intended to make people sad and uneasy but there is a deeper meaning behind the horror.

My Lovely Daughter is inspired by the hardships experienced by members of our team growing up. The game is designed to upset and disturb you.

I wasn't sure if the game actually had anything to say or if it'd be worth watching someone's playthrough of it. It just kinda sounds exploitative to me. What doesn't help their case is that the devs have a followup releasing in a few days called My Lovely Wife which has such descriptions as these.

quote:

My Lovely Wife delves into the depths of a man’s grief after the sudden death of his beloved wife. Explore the notions of one’s willingness to do anything for love and the importance of letting go in this mix of dating, management, and alchemy simulators.

quote:

Play as Jake, a loving husband and grieving widower who is granted the knowledge to summon dozens of succubi by a mysterious man. Work with those succubi, make them fall in love with you… and sacrifice them to create a vessel for your wife’s soul.

• A mix of dating, management and alchemy simulations in one game.
  • Twenty different succubi to summon, befriend, and betray.
  • Over forty endings, including one for each of the succubi as well as two main endings for following through on
  • Jake’s dark desires.
  • Gothic fantasy art style fitting for the dark themes of the game.
  • An eerie soundtrack that sends shivers down your spine.
  • An uncanny love dilemma as Jake must crush the lives of others in order to save his dear Luna.

quote:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

May contain content not appropriate for all ages, or may not be appropriate for viewing at work: Sexual Content, Infrequent Violence, and General Mature Content.

- Visually sexual content and violence.
- Textual interactive romance.

quote:

My Lovely Wife’s Beta is live!

Now you're able to summon, befriend, and care for succubi of all kinds...
Before brutally murdering them, all in the name of love.
And here's the Feedback and Bug forms - as always, everyone who submit valid feedback will be credited in the game

The vibe that the followup game gives me is just "tasteless edgy sexploitation." I have serious doubts about it being anything other than that based on the store page. That said, I'm still curious if their previous game had anything of merit to it or if it was also just an edgy premise tacked to a bad game.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
the devs do sound about a mile up their own rear end, but if I wrote 40 endings for a game I would also probably think it was the coolest in history

like, even if they're lovely endings, 40 of anything is a lot of work

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My Lovely Daughter interested me when it released but very quickly picked up mixed reviews that stick around to this day, citing that it's one of Those Sims where the loop is an unpleasant chore that you suffer because the setting/story tie you down with Stockholm syndome. Or you paid full price and your brain demands "value", painful as it may be. Combined with a $15 price tag or "the point of regret" for indie games I can't see trying it without a sale dropping it to $5.

Gives off the same aura as The Shrouded Isle, which also has an interesting premise that boils down to the most tedious busywork in the world.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doomykins posted:

Gives off the same aura as The Shrouded Isle, which also has an interesting premise that boils down to the most tedious busywork in the world.

I want a cult sim with that Uber Gothic aesthetic so bad that doesn't make me hate myself for playing it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FirstAidKite posted:

Did any of you ever play My Lovely Daughter? I'm not gonna play it but a person I follow on youtube did a playthrough, but it is long. The game concept sounded like it would be leaning way towards being grimdark edgy and pointlessly cruel. Especially with stuff like this on the steam page.

I wasn't sure if the game actually had anything to say or if it'd be worth watching someone's playthrough of it. It just kinda sounds exploitative to me. What doesn't help their case is that the devs have a followup releasing in a few days called My Lovely Wife which has such descriptions as these.

The vibe that the followup game gives me is just "tasteless edgy sexploitation." I have serious doubts about it being anything other than that based on the store page. That said, I'm still curious if their previous game had anything of merit to it or if it was also just an edgy premise tacked to a bad game.

I watched a Let's Play of My Lovely Daughter a long time ago. There wasn't any sexual creepiness. The story was mediocre, and it seemed like it didn't have great gameplay either.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'm a simple woman and all it'd take for me to be happy is a horror visual novel that's not a) absolute rear end and b) probably going to put me on a watch list. I liked The House in Fata Morgana a lot but I think that might be the only one out there.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I'm a simple woman and all it'd take for me to be happy is a horror visual novel that's not a) absolute rear end and b) probably going to put me on a watch list. I liked The House in Fata Morgana a lot but I think that might be the only one out there.

There is Raging Loop which is basically the Mafia/Werewolf forum game as a visual novel, and I was surprised at how good it was. I was admittedly not a fan of the ending, but I seem to be in minority for that. There isn't any creepy stuff in the main story, but I can't 100% guarantee that there isn't any in the bonus chapters because I didn't play them.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I picked up "The Letter" fairly recently as it's a horror VN, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I did play through the first chapter or two of Fata Morgana and good God what a depressing game. Absolutely my jam but drat.

Also maybe not super heavy on horror but the recent Vampire the Masquerade "Choice of Games" range from really really good (Night Road) to not as good (the other 3) and there are two VNs, Coteries of New York and Shadows of New York. Coteries is a pretty good intro to the VtM setting if you're not up on it, but Shadows blows it's predecessor out of the water storywise.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

The demo for SIGNALIS came out in the last day or two.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1262350/SIGNALIS/

It's about 20 mins long, but I really dig the art style, and I love to see more sci-fi horror. Looking forward to the full thing.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 5, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lifeglug posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/genre/Indie/?snr=1_5_9__205

It's about 20 mins long, but I really dig the art style, and I love to see more sci-fi horror. Looking forward to the full thing.

For some reason I thought this game was dead--but I apparently only added it to my watch/wishlist a little over 2 years ago, which is practically nothing in terms of EA games.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

joylessdivision posted:

I picked up "The Letter" fairly recently as it's a horror VN, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I did play through the first chapter or two of Fata Morgana and good God what a depressing game. Absolutely my jam but drat.

Also maybe not super heavy on horror but the recent Vampire the Masquerade "Choice of Games" range from really really good (Night Road) to not as good (the other 3) and there are two VNs, Coteries of New York and Shadows of New York. Coteries is a pretty good intro to the VtM setting if you're not up on it, but Shadows blows it's predecessor out of the water storywise.
I kind of fell of The Letter from a combination of boredom and legitimately hating the art style. It's probably good, but it seems like it takes a minute and a half to get to so much as a jump scare. I understand there is an especially annoyingly acted small child a bit later on, too, but I tend to play with voices off anyway. I just picked up Raging Loop so maybe I'll finish up The Letter afterwards.

I remember playing Bloodlines way back when that came out and enjoying it, I'll stick the VtM games on my wishlist and see how long it takes for them to go on sale.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Lifeglug posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/genre/Indie/?snr=1_5_9__205

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Letter had a backer designed character as a major character, and its pretty obvious who that character is once that fact is known.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

yeah lmao I have no idea how i copied the wrong url that badly

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Was my mind playing tricks on me or was The Letter also the VN that had some white guy drop the hard R upon encountering the sole playable black man

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FirstAidKite posted:

I played it when it came out and it wasn't sexually creepy, iirc it was basically a team manager thing where you made and then sent out on jobs dolls with something "spooky" messed up about them that altered their abilities. It was mostly creepy because the dollmaker tries to use a fake family bond to make the dolls work for him. I just didn't find it very compelling as a game more than anything else.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lifeglug posted:

oh my god, I have been waiting for this game for so loving long

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Letter is a boring slog and I hated it,

The end

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Nyoro posted:

The Letter is a boring slog and I hated it,

The end

It took me a while to remember if it was the game I was thinking of but yeah these were my feelings too.

I can't remember much of the plot but I do remember the characters talking interminably about nothing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing the original Siren and I need to go to the hospital from the difficulty whiplash in this game.

Level as a priest with no weapons, four or five missions in: tense nightmare of a level I failed several times on.

Next level, where there is a random fire poker sticking out of the ground? Call me a phlebotomist because some zombies are getting POKED.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah, Siren owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Crowetron posted:

Yeah, Siren owns.