Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I guess this seems like the thread to ask, has anyone tried Vintage Story and have impressions? I must admit my interest is piqued, but I'm as leery as I am curious between the mandatory key registration even on DRM-free platforms, and its lack of presence on any major review aggregate.

My group was disappointed. It's got some interesting ideas, but god drat is all the voxel-based crafting just a pain in the rear end once the novelty wears off. Also the enemies are way overtuned and hysterically lethal, I think we cut ours down to like 50% health and they still took forever to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I guess this seems like the thread to ask, has anyone tried Vintage Story and have impressions? I must admit my interest is piqued, but I'm as leery as I am curious between the mandatory key registration even on DRM-free platforms, and its lack of presence on any major review aggregate.

I like it a lot, it's more terrificacraft in nature, but it's got a good modding scene and I like the mechanical power stuff.

It is lethal, on survive and build, but player and enemy health scaling is fully adjustable, and fearing wolves to laughing as you chase them down with a steel sword feels good.

Modding is nicer, clients will download the mods a server is running off the modDB for the game which simplifies server management.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's great! Has some pitfalls but overall is a very fun and usually relaxing experience that you'll enjoy if you ever played TerraFirmaCraft, since that was its big inspiration. There's been talk about it on the Survival Games Megathread now and then.

Combat is definitely its weakest point though, I agree.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh, yeah, if you liked TerraFirmaCraft, this would definitely be a solid pick. I just don't have the patience for the early game.

Weirdly, I liked making Mana & Artifice runes in All The Magic 6. I guess they were reusable and I only had to do them occasionally, as opposed to constantly knapping flint.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I find that making use of bows and slings helps a lot with the combat, and the fact that the general monsters throw rocks in the latest version threw me off a bit too as I was used to just dancing around them with a club or sword. Still, it's better combat than minecraft. It's got a good tech mod too, all in all it feels like playing back in the early days of modding, but with better support. Not a bad see where it goes game.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey so after the feedback of my space station pack and after failing to solve some issues that frustrated me, I decided that I had to start over and made a new station with a different design philosophy to better alleviate the problems I was having. This also included a revamped questline and a more refined progression especially on the tech side.

It's still.. largely around the same sort of completion percentage as before, but I've spent the time figuring out what I want to do and how I want to do it, so that first attempt was an important learning experience at least.

Anyway all this is to say I've uploaded a playtest to Curseforge and I'm waiting for it to be approved in case anyone wants to check out what I've been doing.

Edit: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/last-gasp

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 6, 2022

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The issues with the FTB API are not intentional, apparently, and might be something related to cloudflare.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone got a good alternative to EnderStorage? I really just want a chest I can open from wherever I am, but I'm running into too many bugs that involve my items disappearing.

So many stacks of redstone :negative:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

Anyone got a good alternative to EnderStorage? I really just want a chest I can open from wherever I am, but I'm running into too many bugs that involve my items disappearing.

So many stacks of redstone :negative:

ae2?

:haw:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

What in the name of God am I reading :psyduck: I did always wonder where certus quartz came from though

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

What in the name of God am I reading :psyduck: I did always wonder where certus quartz came from though

it's fun, it's just also a LOT of work. Eventually you can access every item you've ever mined/grown/collected in the palm of your hand from your entire base though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AE is the reason i always burn out on vanilla minecraft. so many motherfucking chests to empty my poo poo into every time i get back, as opposed just opening a ME terminal and space+clicking once

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I'm so spoiled by functional storage mods that I have a problem playing modpacks without one.

I've actually been enjoying Refined Storage in ATM6 a lot as well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Any pack without AE2 better have something pretty close because inventory management is the worst part of the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

combat's pretty close, though

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Let's just be honest, every part of this game is the worst part of the game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taffer posted:

Let's just be honest, every part of this game is the worst part of the game

:hmmyes:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mods fix inventory management by removing it with AE or similar where it's just a big invisible, searchable warehouse
mods fix combat by removing it from with giving you invulnerability armour and flying and railguns or whatever

the rest of the game is good though

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'll definitely have to give AE2 an actual shot. The best I had was ironchests and even with those I wind up losing track of which god drat chest I put my fluxbore into

I've been working on learning how Minecolonies does it's whole logistics network, so it'll be nice to have my inventory and the town inventory cleanly delineated :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 6, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Occultism has a pretty handy storage multiblock, depending on what version and modpack you're doing. You get quite a bit of storage and upgrades are a little pricy, but nothing too insane.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Vib Rib posted:

I'm in a place where I kind of need vapid timesinks right now, so I considered losing myself to a Hypixel skyblock, but they seem to have a reputation for pushing players towards microtransactions/real world currency. Has anyone here played? I'm actually fully okay with a repetitive skinner box reward drip but I'm not looking for something that's outright competitive or drains my real wallet.

Are you still looking for stuff? I could recommend either Wynncraft or Monumenta to scratch that itch, the former's an MMORPG that's it's own thing and about as unvanilla as you can get without needing mods, the latter's also an MMORPG, but it's based more on the 'Complete the Monument' style of maps and still uses vanilla mechanics in it's gameplay though it does put it's own spin on things, even has a 'demo' of it's first wool dungeon on it's website.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Danaru posted:

I'll definitely have to give AE2 an actual shot.

For getting started shits-and-giggles, you can just cheat in a creative energy cell, a terminal, a drive, some storage cells, and a few ME cables to hook it all up. You can then figure out the intricacies of the base mod's methods of building that stuff. That's where the goofy meteor hunting, inscribers, and all that junk fit in. A lot of packs just do without it and/or replace it with their own thing. If you eventually get bit by a strong urge to automate using it, then you have to really sit down with it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Comedy option: project e :v:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Xun posted:

Comedy option: project e :v:

There must be someone who really likes project e, or there wouldn’t be so many mod packs with faqs saying why they won’t include it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Project E can work really well in a pack if it's heavily balanced towards being an endgame feature. Project Ozone 3 specifically did it quite well on its harder modes.

Not many people have the time/patience/will to go through and give everything EMC values or rebalance recipes for cross-integration so I don't blame them for not including it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
ProjectE might be cool if there was some way to unlock an item for duplication other than just "own one of the item". Like as soon as you get any given non-blacklisted item, you have infinite of it. If you could instead filter unlocks through quest progression or something, it would be a lot easier for packmakers to gate it and use it as a tool of convenience.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CommunityEdition posted:

There must be someone who really likes project e, or there wouldn’t be so many mod packs with faqs saying why they won’t include it
Project E is cool one time only. It warps the entire game around "build some matter duplication thing for Project E" and inevitably it's something stupid like clay or coal.

The other time it's cool is when you can use it for cosmetic/building blocks or some other highly limited list of things in a well thought out pack. It can work as an endgame tool kinda if it takes insane stuff to make and you can only use it for certain ultra endgame blocks or something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 7, 2022

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Project E was alright in FTB: Interactions where it was heavily constrained to just building materials and saplings, and only intended to be used in the tutorial skyblock area before you went to the overworld

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

It's me, I'm the crazy who really likes project e! But as Khorne mentioned, I use it for more cosmetic stuff and tbh I don't usually bother going deep into automation and such whenever I play minecraft. I actually rarely ever get to a point where projecte makes things creative mode because setting up the systems is :effort: Spending hours trying to get one house to look nice though...

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i like project E because i LOVE cheating and breaking the game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
sophisticated backpacks is a surprisingly capable storage mod, for both remote and base use. lots of great features.

i've been using those + drawers hooked to a tom's simple storage network for a lot of my stuff lately.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sophisticated backpacks is indeed a robust and extremely thorough mod. but some of the requirements for upgrades are so unbelievably insane that I just said gently caress it and JEI'd a few Everlasting upgrades because there's no way I'm getting 4 nether stars and four of the other thing for each upgrade

same goes for 8 netherite blocks for the compacting upgrade, that's just dumb, I found enough scrap for 2 ingots in two entire sessions of being in the nether.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Project E was alright in FTB: Interactions where it was heavily constrained to just building materials and saplings, and only intended to be used in the tutorial skyblock area before you went to the overworld

that was cool. id like some modern progession pack with heavy mod interaction that didn't require gregtech etc like that

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think I ranted about it when we finished, but yeah, ProjectE as the All The Magic endgame mod sucked a lot of the fun out. The gear isn't as stupidly overpowered as it used to be compared to ATM's broken gear and you need a shitload of all three materials to make fhe Philosopher's Stone. I just don't get what it was balancing against in a pack with Mystical Crops, Terra, and the ATM materials.

Then you can't even duplicate anything useful. Have to make every single Ingot of the Skies by hand and you need dozens to make collectors.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

CommunityEdition posted:

it's really making me laugh imagining one loving freak that will not stop emailing every major modpack about project e

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Danaru posted:

I do love the idea of AE2, but every single time I try to make another go of it I remember why I gave up in agony every previous time. It's a 20+ step, many hours long process involving fighting with RNG in the absolute worst part of the process to be fighting with it while trekking across the world, waiting multiple 20-minute periods for crystal seeds to grow, all just to get the most basic-rear end tier of storage, a slightly better version of the chest that you normally craft by punching two logs into planks. I can't even begin to wrap my head around whatever comes after. It's too much poo poo for me to keep track of even if I'm just cheating myself all the components! Refined Storage, Ender Storage, Simple Storage Network, even just Storage Drawers by itself, literally ANY other solution is less crap to deal with than AE2.

The only time I've ever had fun with an AE2 integration is the part of Create: AAB where you get to build a machine to automate growing the crystal seeds by spouting water onto them. Then there's just the rest of the AE2 stuff you have to do in that pack. :v:

edit: I do miss Ender Utilities' absolutely ridiculous upgradeable Handy Bag. That thing practically supplanted the need for storage mods.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 7, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Invictus posted:

...4 nether stars and four of the other thing for each upgrade...
...same goes for 8 netherite blocks for the compacting upgrade...
What the gently caress? What is with mod makers thinking simple quality of life improvements and basic inventory management should be the most expensive things in the entire game?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Probably because of vanilla players crying at them for invalidating shulker boxes.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I do love the idea of AE2, but every single time I try to make another go of it I remember why I gave up in agony every previous time.

This can be fixed with about 2 custom recipes, to skip the growing and water-based stuff. AE2 is one of my favorite mods for lots of reasons, but the really bizarre early-game crafting stuff is a huge pitfall, and you should not feel guilty modding your way around them. Newer versions of the mod are making some changes to it too, so that should be a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Out on Java.

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1534189373868191744

e: Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAMHqVL9Gfs

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 7, 2022