Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I also enjoyed Children of Time.

Having just read that and currently reading Children of Ruin, I appreciate this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I believe that was a plot point in Neal Stephenson's latest novel

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/YuXyaiE.mp4

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

drat real life ranchers are bad rear end

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Lot less clowns than the time I saw cowboys roping a cow at the rodeo.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
No recordables, no near misses. Good job everyone, let's have a good week.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Lot less clowns than the time I saw cowboys roping a cow at the rodeo.

Turn on your monitor

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TotalLossBrain posted:

I believe that was a plot point in Neal Stephenson's latest novel

Was it? I just read that pretty recently and don't remember. tbf though there's usually a lot going on in a Stephenson book.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Was it? I just read that pretty recently and don't remember. tbf though there's usually a lot going on in a Stephenson book.

He referred to it briefly a few times as reason ACs were constantly going out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/562823034294239263/983432228686155836/-9150716985395321761.mp4

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Raspberry pi ants?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Haha, this is loving incredible. I needed this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
fire extinguisher fleeing the scene

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

D34THROW posted:

We should all aspire to be this guy :worship:

Dickless?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

someone is about to have a really bad day, this is way heavier and drops way higher than a loose brick

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

They got the name Rasberry after an exterminator named Tom Rasberry, who first noticed their increasing numbers in the state of Texas back in 2002. They’re tiny and don’t bite, but they are weird, remarkable and very pesky creatures.

The electronic device pest named after Rasberry, in the Lone Star State. :discourse:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zakrello posted:

someone is about to have a really bad day, this is way heavier and drops way higher than a loose brick

:spidey:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

needs some yakety sax.

https://bennyhillthis.com/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"My people need me"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

See also:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

How much pressure do you need for an extinguisher rocket??

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Nenonen posted:

Yes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7sq7s3niDk

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nenonen posted:

All of it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A bit less than a moment ago

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Is YouTube under occupational safety rules?

quote:

Four men have been charged with an explosives offence at the Kymenlaakso District Court. The trial began on Tuesday morning in Kouvola.

The men are suspected of neglecting the safety of dangerous chemicals and explosives. They had in their possession various explosives and pyrotechnic products, rockets, batteries and other fireworks with a total explosive weight of about 76 kilograms. The suspected crime took place in Kouvola around the New Year.

According to the Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes), fireworks with an explosive mass of up to five kilograms may be stored in the same room. Fireworks must be stored in a locked cabinet or room.

According to the prosecution, the men had stored and kept explosives and fireworks in an unlocked room in a building at the back.

One of the accused is a Kouvola-based YouTuber known for his explosion videos and cigar and beer testing videos, among other things.

Tukes was contacted by a citizen who had noticed the explosives on a YouTube video. The police have confiscated the products.

The prosecutor is demanding a fine of at least 60 days' fines for the men.

(day fines are a fine tied to person's income, in theory one day's salary)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Meanwhile in the U.S. Somebody is mixing a metric tonne of tannerite for a small gender reveal party.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

By popular demand posted:

Meanwhile in the U.S. Somebody is mixing a metric tonne of tannerite for a small gender reveal party.

Why would they possibly be mixing metric explosives in the US????

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just to gently caress with all the lizard people who are the actual power behind the government.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So, my uncle is dying. Probably on his last few days if he has that kind of time, in his mid 60s, gently caress cancer and tumors. He was a welder for most of his life in the 80's and into the late 90s working at refineries up and down the Texas coast before that as a kid working the fields with the rest of my family up until recently he was doing what most rural South Texas people do and was just truck driving until this cropped up.

There's some kind of tumor growth that got a hold of the side of his ear canal and down his neck, my aunt believes it was from all the years of welding he did. I'm more liable to think it was from being sprayed with pesticides via crop dusters when he was growing up.

What are exactly the hazards of welding when you're working at a refinery, I know that you need the shield to not get blinded, but what else? Is the metal and light intense enough for some kind of radiation poisoning, metallic fumes?

I figure this was the place to ask since that's all some kind of insane OSHA.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Edit ^^^ Fumes for sure. One of my dad's friends has lung problems from that.

You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! :rice:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Y'know, I always wondered how they tested the pressurization on those things

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jiro posted:

So, my uncle is dying. Probably on his last few days if he has that kind of time, in his mid 60s, gently caress cancer and tumors. He was a welder for most of his life in the 80's and into the late 90s working at refineries up and down the Texas coast before that as a kid working the fields with the rest of my family up until recently he was doing what most rural South Texas people do and was just truck driving until this cropped up.

There's some kind of tumor growth that got a hold of the side of his ear canal and down his neck, my aunt believes it was from all the years of welding he did. I'm more liable to think it was from being sprayed with pesticides via crop dusters when he was growing up.

What are exactly the hazards of welding when you're working at a refinery, I know that you need the shield to not get blinded, but what else? Is the metal and light intense enough for some kind of radiation poisoning, metallic fumes?

I figure this was the place to ask since that's all some kind of insane OSHA.

The refinery, on its own, is a cancer factory:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30794243/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jiro posted:

This would have to be pretty constant exposure to have that kind of long term effect.

One of my grandfathers was an agricultural sprayer, along with a farmer. For about 35 years, he sprayed herbicides, pesticides, fungicides. Rarely wore a mask, didn't care, catholic Jesus was gonna save him.

He died at I think 67 with a brain tumor the size of a baseball. So yeah, they can have an effect, but it was his bread and butter for 30+ years, not just casual exposure from childhood.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This would have to be pretty constant exposure to have that kind of long term effect.

One of my grandfathers was an agricultural sprayer, along with a farmer. For about 35 years, he sprayed herbicides, pesticides, fungicides. Rarely wore a mask, didn't care, catholic Jesus was gonna save him.

He died at I think 67 with a brain tumor the size of a baseball. So yeah, they can have an effect, but it was his bread and butter for 30+ years, not just casual exposure from childhood.

Well he's 62, and spent his time from mid single digits up to his mid 20s working in the fields through the mid 60s into the 70s etc etc, nothing for him or my mom and other aunts and uncles was casual in that regard. They worked sun up to sundown. It's something I also worry about for my mom since she's prone to different illnesses as well as your usual Latino go to standards of, Diabetes, cardiovascular issues, obesity.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I doubt it has to be “constant” exposure. Certainly not taking that anecdote as proof.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jiro posted:

Well he's 62, and spent his time from mid single digits up to his mid 20s working in the fields through the mid 60s into the 70s etc etc, nothing for him or my mom and other aunts and uncles was casual in that regard. They worked sun up to sundown. It's something I also worry about for my mom since she's prone to different illnesses as well as your usual Latino go to standards of, Diabetes, cardiovascular issues, obesity.

My point being, if the chemicals dumped on him were causative, they would have been noticed a lot longer ago.

Welding fumes in a refinery aren't exactly fresh mountain air. If that's what he did with the bulk of his life, that's almost certainly what caused it.

Not that farm chems won't give you cancer, because they will, but it's going to require more time than huffing burning metal fumes in a literal oil refinery. Even those who have successfully sued about Roundup were using it daily for several years before they were diagnosed.

Why are you so hesitant to place blame on his occupational workspace and chase this line of thought?

Also diabetes, cardio and obesity aren't a latino thing, they're any everybody thing. I'm the only one in my family of 5 that doesn't have the Wilford Brimleys, and I'm as white as standard issue apartment appliances.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I doubt it has to be “constant” exposure. Certainly not taking that anecdote as proof.

Not like, literally bathing in it, but regularly enough that it's a part of your work life, sure. But if you want cancer faster, sure, jump in a pool of it.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 7, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think huffing ambient refinery air is probably enough to get all the cancer see the study I linked.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Probably. I remember a fuss being made when the gulf oil spill was going on about high levels of benzene being detected in the air 500 miles north. It was a blip on the news between Obama speeches, and I never heard a word of it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My point being, if the chemicals dumped on him were causative, they would have been noticed a lot longer ago.

Welding fumes in a refinery aren't exactly fresh mountain air. If that's what he did with the bulk of his life, that's almost certainly what caused it.

Not that farm chems won't give you cancer, because they will, but it's going to require more time than huffing burning metal fumes in a literal oil refinery. Even those who have successfully sued about Roundup were using it daily for several years before they were diagnosed.

Why are you so hesitant to place blame on his occupational workspace and chase this line of thought?

Also diabetes, cardio and obesity aren't a latino thing, they're any everybody thing. I'm the only one in my family of 5 that doesn't have the Wilford Brimleys, and I'm as white as standard issue apartment appliances.

It's not that I don't believe working in a refinery and welding for most of your adult life wouldn't do that. It's more of seeing other relatives that didn't do that line of work start cropping up with similar issues in their later years in life. But everyone that's working in a refinery is essentially slow death I believe, poo poo I see it whenever I drive into Corpus.

I guess it's a thing I was always more fixated on growing up as well, relatives complaining about skin issues, breathing issues and just putting two and two together when you see crop dusters fly low and just do their thing. The older folk talking about how kids would run after the crop duster planes in the fields and no one had the education doing that was going to be super loving bad for their health later on.