Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Just hit 200 boards an hour on my sawmill. How should I approach the orchard? Dump everything in the apples until I can make x amount of glass bottles per hour? (In which case, what should I aim for on X?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Once you hit 300-400 boards and wood, work towards maxing out the orchard so it caps your inventory every day. That’ll give a stupid amount of exploring stamina (and xp) that’ll further let you craft more and get more silver, and so on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

buglord posted:

Can’t stress enough how useful trading/the giveaways channel is. It helps cut down on some of the more tedious quests (I had to collect 100 spiders and just asking in the chat gave me 60 more than I needed)

pubbies are cool and good in this game. I try to do what I can and fulfill their requests too so things balance out.

I feel like the daily chore to mail things has really helped cultivate a generous atmosphere. Whenever I get it I just lurk giveaways until someone asks for something common.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Umbreon posted:

Just hit 200 boards an hour on my sawmill. How should I approach the orchard? Dump everything in the apples until I can make x amount of glass bottles per hour? (In which case, what should I aim for on X?)

Glass bottles are more a “do you have access to ember lagoon?” thing imo- mt banon works ok too. You really just need to be able to make as many per day as you need to make orange juices and lemonades. Each orange juice or lemonade lets you explore, and if you explore for more glass bottle materials it’s pretty easy to get enough bottles for your whole orchard even if you start with just a few seed bottles.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

Once you hit 300-400 boards and wood, work towards maxing out the orchard so it caps your inventory every day. That’ll give a stupid amount of exploring stamina (and xp) that’ll further let you craft more and get more silver, and so on.

300-400? Doesn't the cost for each board become pretty exorbitant at that level?

tildes posted:

Glass bottles are more a “do you have access to ember lagoon?” thing imo- mt banon works ok too. You really just need to be able to make as many per day as you need to make orange juices and lemonades. Each orange juice or lemonade lets you explore, and if you explore for more glass bottle materials it’s pretty easy to get enough bottles for your whole orchard even if you start with just a few seed bottles.

No Ember lagoon yet for me, but I do have Mount Banon. Dumping my stones into glass bottles is going to feel painful, as I need them to make fancy pipes which is my main form of income now, but I guess I'll see how this works out.

Assuming I'm dumping my stones into making glass bottles, should I instead start investing into oranges immediately rather than apples?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Klungar posted:

Q1: Next big purchase would likely be the 1B Farming Row, but you'll want to wait for an event to come around for that so you get an extra 200M XP from purchasing it. Other pets you can get to Level 6 would be Macaw, Snake, Squirrel, Husky, and Armadillo (in that order), but you also have the Green and Red Dragon once you you hit 85 Farming/Exploring, so you'll want to make sure you have 2.1B saved up to immediately get Green Dragon to Lvl 6 once it unlocks (Red Dragon slots in between Squirrel and Husky in the previous list).

I get snake for coins and wine, and Armadillo to start grinding screws and such, but why is Squirrel rated so high?

Klungar posted:

Q3: Getting Exploring to 85 ASAP to unlock the Dragons is your main priority now, which means you should explore in Whispering Creek almost exclusively, as the XP gains there are much better than any other zone. This also will help net you Raptor Eggs to get your passive Antlers (and therefore Nets) up and running.

All my skills are in the 90s, with 99 fishing and 99 crafting, and I'm at 79 exploring. This is one is rough to grind, are there any tips?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I get snake for coins and wine, and Armadillo to start grinding screws and such, but why is Squirrel rated so high?

In order to be able to craft Lava Spheres regularly, you need at least one pet who can bring each of Runestones 11-20. Red Dragon and Green Dragon bring most of them together, but in order to fill in the gaps, you need to get Frog L6 and then either Snake L6+Squirrel L6, or Spider L6. Since Snake is needed for Wine and Skull Coins, it is often an early L6 regardless of which path you take, and then it just comes down to Squirrel L6 vs. Spider L6, the only two pets who bring RS20. Because of The Collector's quests, which gives 500M Silver for 5 of the drops that come from the first four pets at L6, each of those pets can be considered only costing 500M to reach L6 rather than 1B. So Squirrel is considered the superior choice over Spider.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

All my skills are in the 90s, with 99 fishing and 99 crafting, and I'm at 79 exploring. This is one is rough to grind, are there any tips?

Leveling Exploring sucks, only real tip to give is to spend all your Stamina at the Whispering Creek. I also found the perks that give +XP% for Exploring to be worthwhile.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Umbreon posted:

300-400? Doesn't the cost for each board become pretty exorbitant at that level?

Lol wait until you’re at 2000+ per hour.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

Lol wait until you’re at 2000+ per hour.

It's more I remember seeing a post earlier in this thread about how the cost of the boards per hour stopped being feasible for paying themselves off anytime soon it becomes worth it to switch to other stuff

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Umbreon posted:

No Ember lagoon yet for me, but I do have Mount Banon. Dumping my stones into glass bottles is going to feel painful, as I need them to make fancy pipes which is my main form of income now, but I guess I'll see how this works out.

Assuming I'm dumping my stones into making glass bottles, should I instead start investing into oranges immediately rather than apples?

I think still invest more into apples, but diversify a bit into oj/lemons as well since they should be cheaper if you have less of them!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Umbreon posted:

It's more I remember seeing a post earlier in this thread about how the cost of the boards per hour stopped being feasible for paying themselves off anytime soon it becomes worth it to switch to other stuff

That’s very true and I’m past that point now, I only kept increasing as I play just about hourly so I was able to make use of them all.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

50 skull coins to complete the next step of the new fishing hole questline. Guess I'm taking the python to 6 next.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Nearly 7k eggplants in. No rune. I think 2.5k is average? Kinda wish there was a pity timer.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I need 180 grasshoppers and dragonflies as well as 70 gold peppers if anyone feels like dumping some in my mailbox. I don’t have the bandwidth to sit in trade chat and giveaways right now but will check my mailbox pretty often. Happy to send back some goodies like nets or OJ. So close to being done with ATI

E: good now!

rafikki fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 8, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

super sweet best pal posted:

50 skull coins to complete the next step of the new fishing hole questline. Guess I'm taking the python to 6 next.

Yeah…. That’s gonna take a minute. I leveled mine to 6 a few days ago and I have 4 coins. Welp!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Umbreon posted:

Plus by the time you're at that inventory size (for reference I'm only at ~1300 and already feeling this) you've got enough stam items coming through that if you need wood you just pop a couple ciders on whichever zone has the non-wood items you're lacking most of, especially the rarer drops for quest items and/or exchange center.

But also I don't think the equation is quite that easy, since more boards/logs coming in = less stam spent there and more stam spent on oak/glass/gems/carbon/whatever which are bringing in the real money at 90+ crafting.

tildes posted:

Canepole is also sufficient since that gives you the shimmer stones and stone to craft orbs, plus piles up mushrooms on the side (which you probably can't spend time growing since you need other crops for quests if you don't have ember lagoon unlocked yet). And you probably want to start stockpiling tea to make APs once your lemons get rolling, since once you get ember lagoon you won't be wanting to go back to canepole as much.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Xerol posted:

But also I don't think the equation is quite that easy, since more boards/logs coming in = less stam spent there and more stam spent on oak/glass/gems/carbon/whatever which are bringing in the real money at 90+ crafting.

I mean, while this is true, it just means you don’t wind up doing as many of the wood products. Basically the only thing that requires wood/board/plank that is essential, rather than bonus money or mastery, in the later game is wood for twine. Everything else you can basically ignore or use the spillover from an occasional trip to a lower tier explore zone to handle.

It’s not that you can’t do anything with higher wood counts, it’s just not where I’d focus, and I don’t like seeing people post things like “600 wood/hr but I’m not inventory maxed on fruit.”

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm saying that when talking strictly about ROI, the calculation at endgame is a bit different because of the crafting recipes and other exploration items available, when compared to someone who's still working through unlocking the zones. By the time you get storehouse rolling at +10 inventory a day is probably when you don't need to bother keeping sawmill maxed. I never took mine past 400/400 and have never really felt like I was missing out.

e: which pet to Lv6 next?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Xerol posted:

e: which pet to Lv6 next?

I think the answer is Husky+Armadillo for Cogwheels/Small Screws, but I’m not sure if Macaw changes this calculus with its Large Chest 02 drops enough to mean you can skip those now.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Got to the new fishing area and at over 6m silver per large net, lol lmao

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Kaboobi posted:

Got to the new fishing area and at over 6m silver per large net, lol lmao

I'm walled at one single cutlass with 250 spiders left to go and everyone in giveaways has run out :(

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

antlers for sale for 1AC today too, time to cash in a few billion more silver

not like I can do much until I scrounge up another 500 honey anyway

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Since this decision was up for me and I got some help from help chat, I decided to post it here for people in a similar position. Once you have the spare silver for the 1b crop row (I'd suggest getting 4-6 pets to lvl6 before and the very first bil should be storehouse anyway). Here's some numbers to decide if you buy it now or wait for a possible event. Note, currently help chat assumes next event to be around 4th of July.

If you don't have lvl90 farming yet, you will be using Grape Juice on Sunflowers (60'480xp per plot) because Beets (90'720xp per plot) unlock at farming 90.
You have 32 plots before buying the 1bil extra row which adds 4 more plots. So the math is kinda simple:
32 plots * 4 grape juice uses * 30’240xp (difference between Sunflowers and Beets) = 3'870'720xp per day increase (5'806'080xp/day if you have the 2 extra grape juices from beta)
4 new plots * 4 grape juice uses * 90'720xp = 1'451'520 per day increase (2'177'280xp/day if you have the 2 extra grape juices from beta)
So you get 5.3m xp/day for buying the extra row with 4gj uses/day and 7.98m with 6gj uses/day.

The 1bil crop row is apparently 1bil xp, the event bonus is expected to be 10% to 25%, so 100m to 250m bonus xp. So it's 20-30 days until buying now is better than waiting for the event. Even less if you have beta for the extra 2 gj uses/day.
I ignored xp modifiers from perks and upgrades as I figured they would be the same for both the event bonus and your gj crops. I ignored the xp from normal growing of crops, so in reality the 1b crop row returns the lost bonus xp even quicker.

What I am saying is, everyone will be telling you to wait with the 1b crop row for an event, but you should enter your numbers to see if that's really worth it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m guessing the play today is to cash in on antlers?

My fishing is a measly 57 compared to exploring 62 and crafting farming 77.

Unless goldfins are so rare as to spend it all on 3 of those or something.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm cashing in on antlers and I'm only in lake Minerva to get exp while I wait for broccoli and shimmer quartz for the next step of this quest.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Saxophone posted:

I’m guessing the play today is to cash in on antlers?

My fishing is a measly 57 compared to exploring 62 and crafting farming 77.

Unless goldfins are so rare as to spend it all on 3 of those or something.

They aren’t that rare. Antlers is the play.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Once you get mealworms, gold fish go from miserable to farmable.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I just unlocked large island. What should I be selling to make Silver?

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

koshmar posted:

Of the fish? All of them

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

HelloNewman posted:

Of the fish? All of them

Am I not going to need a ton of them for quests? (gold coral excluded of course)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I do ocassionally go 'oh man, i need 300 squid, time to go back and get those' and theoretically if I had kept them I might be able to avoid doing this sometimes? but also gently caress it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

koshmar posted:

Am I not going to need a ton of them for quests? (gold coral excluded of course)

Sure, but none of them are particularly rare (besides Gold Coral as you say), so going back and throwing down 10 Large Nets is no big deal. Sell Sell Sell!

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Klungar posted:

Sure, but none of them are particularly rare (besides Gold Coral as you say), so going back and throwing down 10 Large Nets is no big deal. Sell Sell Sell!

Cool, guess I need to buy the upgrade to sell fish from the fishing screen.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

koshmar posted:

all the fish on large island are easily farmable with a handful of large nets, just sell em all from there for a cool 4m per large net

the only fish that are a pain in the rear end to get back other than gold fish are giant squids, seaweed, and spiked shells and to a lesser extent catfish, flarefins, flourifish, ruby fish, octopus, and mussels. the rest can easily be pulled out in large batches with a handful of large nets

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

koshmar posted:

Cool, guess I need to buy the upgrade to sell fish from the fishing screen.

I upgraded it and it was just a button that allows you to sell everything that isn’t locked. So make sure your gold poo poo is locked.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

obi_ant posted:

I upgraded it and it was just a button that allows you to sell everything that isn’t locked. So make sure your gold poo poo is locked.

I reread the text on the upgrade and yeah, I think I’ll save the 25 gold

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

obi_ant posted:

lock your gold stuff and anything with help requests that aren't in large island, then just go nuts with large nets. it saves an absurd amount of time

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

koshmar posted:

I reread the text on the upgrade and yeah, I think I’ll save the 25 gold

Honestly it’s a pretty solid QoL boost if you’re dumping a hundred LN on it at a time. Make sure the fish you care about keeping are locked. Then hit LN until you’re starting to get full, sell all, rinse and repeat without ever leaving the fishing screen.

Not a critical upgrade, but well worth 25 gold later on when gold isn’t a hugely limiting factor.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I feel a little bad asking for this, but I'm on a part of the quest to unlock the new fishing zone where you need 100 of various gold fishes, and manually fishing is absolutely destroying my wrist/hands. I can fish for about a minute with mealworms before I need to take a break because my wrist starts getting hosed up.

Does anyone have an AHK script or something for manual fishing that I could run while I'm sitting at my computer (mealworms or regular fishing)? I'm not planning on like idling overnight or anything, I just need to get through this without breaking my body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m currently in eggplant jail. Give me the ruuunnneeeee.

Not out of corn jail yet but already have the runs.