Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

El dia de la bestia quickly became one of my all time faves, I’m really glad it’s back out there for more eyes to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Chris James 2 posted:

Severin doing a one-day box set sale this weekend. Midnight Saturday to midnight Sunday

Nasty Habits (the Nunsploitation collection) $40
The complete Lenzi/Baker giallo collection $45
Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee volume 1 $60
Dungeon of Andy Milligan $70
All the Haunts Be Ours (folk horror collection) $110

So on Saturday their site is going to break again?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CPL593H posted:

So on Saturday their site is going to break again?

Oh I'm pretty sure it'll break right on Thursday 9p/Friday midnight.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

checkplease posted:

Is the final cut of apocalypse now the best cut? Or simply what’s available now? I actually have yet to sit down and watch all of apocalypse now, so haven’t kept up with the various versions.

Another vote for the theatrical version, so good.

codyclarke posted:

If anyone's taking advantage of the Synapse sale over at MVD going on right now, I highly recommend Jim Wynorski's Sorceress. My second favorite of his after Chopping Mall. Very Vinegar Syndrome kind of movie.

Right on, so many nutty entertaining gems from Jim. Deathstalker 2, Sorority House Massacre 2, and Hard to Die are too good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Well, my weekend plans are set

I was starting to think this day would never come :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

Well, my weekend plans are set

I was starting to think this day would never come :negative:

I keep forgetting I need to order this, and I'm broke right now :cry:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yes, Happy Lawrence Day to all those who have been holding out all this time.

As someone who's had the UHD for a while already, I still feel better that it's gonna be available individually now because I've been paranoid that my copy would get a scratch on it or something and I'd never be able to replace it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Last time I watched LoA was in 70mm at the MoMI so I'm super hyped to own this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I wish I were a bigger fan of LOA.

just aint though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It should be there when I get home today. I almost wanna force my GF to watch it tonight even though she's not a big fan of 2 hours movies let alone 4 hour epics.

gently caress I love Lawrence, it's so beautiful. That's the worst part of modern cinema, no amazing sweeping vistas that aren't computer generated.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

It should be there when I get home today. I almost wanna force my GF to watch it tonight even though she's not a big fan of 2 hours movies let alone 4 hour epics.

gently caress I love Lawrence, it's so beautiful. That's the worst part of modern cinema, no amazing sweeping vistas that aren't computer generated.

Drive My Car and Lamb both come to mind as very pretty movies with great vistas from last year.

edit: Hell, even OLD was filmed at Playa El Valle in the Dominican Republic. Movies are thankfully not all CGI gloom right now.

edit 2: DUNE was filmed in the same desert as Lawrence of Arabia, the Wadi Rum Valley of Jordan.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 7, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

dont forget The Northman

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

dont forget The Northman

Lots of great vistas in that, for sure, but it does have some strange CGI here and there. Didn't bother me, but I have heard people complain about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's just something about watching a film like Lawrence and being totally secure in the knowledge that it's all real, they really went to those places to shoot scenes there. You're not deciphering what might be CG and what might not be, you know everything that was done was done in camera. I get the same feeling watching Aguirre.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

There's just something about watching a film like Lawrence and being totally secure in the knowledge that it's all real, they really went to those places to shoot scenes there. You're not deciphering what might be CG and what might not be, you know everything that was done was done in camera. I get the same feeling watching Aguirre.

I think it's also the film stock and the cameras too that give it a "this image is printed from real things onto real film stock with real analog cameras" visual tone that is hard to replicate with modern cameras these days. That's why projects like PTA's Inherent Vice are so visually cool, because they purposefully used old unused reels of film to give it a classic feel. And that's why I tend to buy older films on 4k instead of the new stuff. I liked how Suicide Squad looked, for instance, but I'm more curious abouthow, say, An American Werewolf in London or Gremlins looks with the 4k treatment.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

just a time and place thing. studios just dont want to invest that kind of money anymore (its prohibitively expensive to shoot in locales nowadays and sometimes you just logistically cant do it in the genuine place because of real world poo poo happening) when the lowest common denominator project can either make back the budget or more. It's also just a trade off as well. There's a dearth of unified vision lately. The Batman was the last clear example of a unified vision of a production team and studio going "we have a plan in place and we're committed to a vision the creative team has set forth". I bring it up in my job a lot because I deal in the creative field, but there's a clear line where you can see money/marketing/brand interjecting their "creative" into things and not trusting the people with the vision or respecting it enough to let them loose. This lack of risk taking isnt just a problem in the movie industry its seeped into every form of entertainment.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I impulse bought The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue from Synapse films after seeing an ad for it. It just arrived, hope it lives up to my memories of watching a bootleg like 20 years ago.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Is The Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee worth a blind buy? It would be a true blind buy as I'm not familiar with any of the films included, but Severin has it at 60 bucks during the flash sale and for that price I'm willing to take a voyage of discovery.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/dannycepticon/status/1533837136142671874?s=21&t=6vTy0lk3U5c21vfYSFN2_A

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Just got to the memorial sequence. The texture is insane. I can’t get over how good this looks. Gonna lose my poo poo when we get to the desert.

Edit: Lawrence is getting the orders to leave Cairo. The uniforms! Every piece of these sets. I drat near could kiss David Lean. I’m so excited for this summer. Lots of great older movies.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 7, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I was definitely struck by how much better those black funeral suits looked in the opening memorial scene. HDR really made a big difference for that scene.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw Lawrence on our small kitchen tv, then on Blu-ray, and now I’ll see it in 4K. I’ll see a 70mm showing one of these days too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw two of these movies in theaters to see the trailer for one of these movies

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched the Touch of Evil 4K. Great looking and solid film. So many interesting shots and camera uses. And Lol at all the marijuana scare in it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

There's a shot of stars and another of the sun that are actually paintings because it would have been impossible to photograph otherwise. I think another shot is a painting where flashes from shells exploding can be seen behind a mountain range. Probably less than ten seconds.

Basebf555 posted:

As of August the only Kubricks left without a UHD will be Barry Lyndon, Lolita, and Eyes Wide Shut. Does Criterion still have the rights to Barry Lyndon?

99% certain Criterion will do Lolita this year and Barry Lyndon will get an upgrade. Eyes Wide Shut could be a toss-up between Criterion and Warner directly.

Kino has also said they're open to releasing Fear and Desire on UHD if it meant making Kubrick's filmography UHD-complete.

tonedef131 posted:

What happened to that 4k Army of Darkness Shout announced like two years ago? Figured that would be out by now.

Might be to coincide with a UK release through Arrow or StudioCanal.

The rights are split between Universal (North American distribution, as well as US theatrical cut), MGM (international cut via DEG), and StudioCanal (worldwide ownership, non-NA distribution from DeLaurentiis library).

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
In contrast the film junk podcast was talking about the requin which I guess is like 90% green screen and looks horrendously horrible. Haven't seen it myself tho

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

I wish I were a bigger fan of LOA.

just aint though.

I'm a bigger fan of the visuals than the biography, to be honest. But good lord, those match cuts, those sweeping vistas. That panavision glass + 70mm film stock look...chefs kiss

e: This is the type of thing that shines in a 4k or 8k scan, 70mm has that resolution so you get detail that is meant for giant rear end projection. I would probably buy just about anything actually shot in 70mm..well not you hateful eight and not you phantom thread, but anything else. Hell I'll even extend that to anything shot entirely on an imax65/alexa 65, etc . This is why UHD should exist

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 7, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

zer0spunk posted:

I would probably buy just about anything actually shot in 70mm..well not you hateful eight and not you phantom thread, but anything else.

Rude

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I waited so long to watch H8 that it was the longform extended netflix version. I like it and all, but not enough to watch it again or own it.

Phantom Thread was hot garb, I'll fight anyone on this. And I love me some PTA

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Phantom Thread is top-tier PTA you uncultured swine!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I liked it but I have zero interest in revising it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Phantom Thread is top-tier PTA you uncultured swine!

Boogie Nights/TWBB enters the chat

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
God The Warriors is so awesome looking on this Blu ray set. Well worth the money imho

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The top tier of PTA has two films in it, There Will Be Blood and The Master.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

It's almost an extra cruel joke that phantom thread exists in UHD...and I actually forgot the 70mm showings of that were just a 35mm blowup..not sure why I thought he actually shot 70mm.

I would instant buy most of his library on UHD...anyone know what's up with him and the format?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Basebf555 posted:

Can we just say his entire filmography doesn't sleep and call it a day?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I happened to be on Kino Lorber's site looking for BloodSisters: Leather, Dykes and Sadomasochism and discovered they're having a Pride Month thing with a bunch of LGBT-related films on sale.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PTA’s only good film is The Master. :colbert:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I have a spare MoviesAnywhere code for The Northman

UVZANZJTKJKQZ8J8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Chris James 2 posted:

I have a spare MoviesAnywhere code for The Northman

UVZANZJTKJKQZ8J8

Thank you, I will enjoy The Northman now!