Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Had a VP on a department-wide all-hands, when asked basically "Why are our raises not keeping place with inflation and why should I stay at this company" basically say "If you don't like it here, leave, I'm gonna do what I think should be done" and go on a huge rant about how the job market is tightening up and how they're going to start pushing people to go back to the office and some bullshit about how people are less productive from home and all that dumb poo poo we've been hearing from people who really just want to see a sea of peons clacking away on keyboards to justify their existance.

Most of the department is looking to change jobs at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I thought non compete clauses and that kind of thing were not really enforceable?

How much of your own money would you like to spend explaining that to the judge?

Any time a corp decides to go after you, you're going to lose months of your life, minimum, plus a random but large amount of money.

edit: Noncompetes shouldn't exist at all, but signing them and then ignoring it really encourages a bad situation. Even if you win, you lose.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 6, 2022

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Johnny Truant posted:

I thought non compete clauses and that kind of thing were not really enforceable?

in california yeah, state law says you've gotta pay them during it

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Neito posted:

Had a VP on a department-wide all-hands, when asked basically "Why are our raises not keeping place with inflation and why should I stay at this company" basically say "If you don't like it here, leave, I'm gonna do what I think should be done" and go on a huge rant about how the job market is tightening up and how they're going to start pushing people to go back to the office and some bullshit about how people are less productive from home and all that dumb poo poo we've been hearing from people who really just want to see a sea of peons clacking away on keyboards to justify their existance.

He will receive a bonus for reducing headcount.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Zil posted:

He will receive a bonus for reducing headcount.

Let him. Company policy is to "reward people in stock" that's gone down 60% since we were acquired in February. Even if he gets cash IDGAF. I can't prevent him from getting whatever he gets, but I can get out of dodge.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Neito posted:

Let him. Company policy is to "reward people in stock" that's gone down 60% since we were acquired in February. Even if he gets cash IDGAF. I can't prevent him from getting whatever he gets, but I can get out of dodge.

Oh I know, it sucks rear end that he won't see any consequences for his idiotness.

Though glad you and your coworkers are not putting up with the bullshit and seeking better, less toxic places to work.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Zil posted:

Oh I know, it sucks rear end that he won't see any consequences for his idiotness.

Though glad you and your coworkers are not putting up with the bullshit and seeking better, less toxic places to work.

A big part of it, I think, is culture disconnect; this is a relatively large Californian player in our space who bought our smaller Bostonian company, then all of them getting surprised when we want to keep working the way we always had.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in california yeah, state law says you've gotta pay them during it

in the .00000000001 percent of cases where they are even enforceable. it's just an empty threat

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I don't think I realized just how weird work culture in America was until just now when I gave my two-week's notice. Both of my co-workers took the news like I told them I had terminal cancer, just a lot of "Oh wow..." and "Is everything okay? Are you going to be alright?" They act like I'm being forced at gunpoint to leave our prestigious position as hourly workers in a tech company.

Meanwhile my manager had the opposite reaction, got audibly mad at me on the phone, and then tried to guilt me with how much work everyone else would have to do (which is lie since the people she brought up... don't even work in my department). Giving a formal notice only to be met with a wave of HOW DARE YOU really erased any doubt I had about what I'm doing. Just strange petulance and a sense of entitlement.

Just the weirdest vibes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Where did you work before if you don't mind me asking?

I'm actually surprised that type of boss is letting you work the last two weeks, in my experience, they usually just walk me out on the spot.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Zil posted:

Where did you work before if you don't mind me asking?

I'm actually surprised that type of boss is letting you work the last two weeks, in my experience, they usually just walk me out on the spot.

I'd rather not give a name but it's a financial tech company, but not a big one. I do a lot of work that's a hybrid of manual labor and computer touching, which actually can make the position hard to fill because generally people only want one or the other. Also there's weeks where you can't take time off, have to work holidays, etc. I won't miss it. Also my shifts end at 9pm, so someone would have to either stay or come back to walk me out and lol, that's not happening. If I wake up to a "don't come in" text tomorrow morning then that will have made my week.

It's like they assumed I was a fixture on the wall and would never even consider doing anything else, despite me stating multiple times that I won't be here forever.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I've found that a lot of bosses just kinda assume that everyone will be in their exact possition and nothing change for years.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

It's almost impossible to make a man understand something if his paycheck relies on him not understanding it, like H.L. Mencken said.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pondex posted:

It's almost impossible to make a man understand something if his paycheck relies on him not understanding it, like H.L. Mencken said.

Pretty sure that was Eugene Debs. :shobon:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

HoboTech posted:

I'd rather not give a name but it's a financial tech company, but not a big one.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean place of work. The way you phrased it made me think that you had moved to America for the job and were not used to the soul crushing nature of our work environments.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Zil posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean place of work. The way you phrased it made me think that you had moved to America for the job and were not used to the soul crushing nature of our work environments.

No I'm native to the states and definitely expected some kind of negative reaction. I just didn't expect it to be this... weird.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Neito posted:

With stuff like this, I get to thinking:

Every company's products are designed to fit the needs of an actual group of people.
If you ask around, every member of sales and a good number of manufacturing staff will be able to tell you - with varying degrees of eloquence and accuracy - who their product is suitable for and why. Price, quality, delivery terms, whatever.
And if particularly a sales person can't tell you that, then they need to be retrained or reassigned or fired, because being able to explain that is a key part of their job.

But when you get these people who are in charge of the staffing side, they should be able to explain why people should want to work at their company. Wages, benefits, hours, whatever.
And you'd *think* that if they couldn't tell you that, they'd be retrained or reassigned or fired, but apparently not. Hardly ever. Just another joke that reveals a truth about the whole thing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I finally have some cautiously optimistic news. Implementing and laying out a production schedule seems to have worked and my bosses are (so far) referring to and sticking to it. So that's good. Hopefully this lasts.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Escape From Noise posted:

I finally have some cautiously optimistic news. Implementing and laying out a production schedule seems to have worked and my bosses are (so far) referring to and sticking to it. So that's good. Hopefully this lasts.

Tfw your bosses have shorter attention spans than the microorganisms you use to make things for them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape From Noise posted:

Can you put it up somewhere conspicuous so when they 'just try to squeeze things in' you can tap the sign and ask which product they want you to dump?

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

I’ve been facilitating the transition of our company to Procore as some sort of cloud based construction management is sorely needed and all the execs absolutely refuse to do anything to learn it and actively will put the meetings in their calendars then no show

Before I came on they didn’t have anything set up for any sort of anything they just used gmail and this isn’t a tiny business

They’re all old white boomer dudes who just fell over themselves to success not because they actually worked hard or did anything remotely innovating.

It’s depressing as hell I love capitalism

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Atopian posted:

With stuff like this, I get to thinking:

Every company's products are designed to fit the needs of an actual group of people.
If you ask around, every member of sales and a good number of manufacturing staff will be able to tell you - with varying degrees of eloquence and accuracy - who their product is suitable for and why. Price, quality, delivery terms, whatever.
And if particularly a sales person can't tell you that, then they need to be retrained or reassigned or fired, because being able to explain that is a key part of their job.

But when you get these people who are in charge of the staffing side, they should be able to explain why people should want to work at their company. Wages, benefits, hours, whatever.
And you'd *think* that if they couldn't tell you that, they'd be retrained or reassigned or fired, but apparently not. Hardly ever. Just another joke that reveals a truth about the whole thing.

I mean, part of it is that they understand that customers are people, but employees are viewed as cogs in a machine, or as someone said upthread, interchangable spheres of uniform density. An employee unsatisfied with their salary isn't a customer to be placated; it's a thing to be replaced, a broken toy that needs to be chucked in the trash, lest it spread its filth to other toys.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Neito posted:

I mean, part of it is that they understand that customers are people, but employees are viewed as cogs in a machine, or as someone said upthread, interchangable spheres of uniform density. An employee unsatisfied with their salary isn't a customer to be placated; it's a thing to be replaced, a broken toy that needs to be chucked in the trash, lest it spread its filth to other toys.

Right. Really weird.
Employees are suppliers. The company pays them for their time/labour, which are inputs to the production process.

That doesn't mean you aren't going to look for better deals, or negotiate better terms - that's exactly what companies are supposed to do with suppliers. Flatter them, threaten them, seek the upper hand, whatever, but overall you'd imagine that the goal would be "get them to give us what we need for less money/hassle", but instead you keep seeing these... weird attitudes.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

The legal questions thread can break this down better. But it comes down to three things. What state is the non-compete based in. Your experience in California will be different then someone in Texas. Also how broad is the non-compete. If your non-compete basically says 'You can basically not work anywhere in the US for two years." will be treated differently than one that says, you can't for competitors in say Harris County, Texas. Their scopes have very different and the courts will view that differently. You have a right to work, and the non-compete makes that impossible, then the judge may view that differently then you having to move. Then there is the consideration. If the "Can't work anywhere" non-compete gives you $1.50 that is different than one that says you get six months severance.

There is no one size fits all answer for this. And a big factor is will the company you are leaving from give a gently caress? If you're the head of R&D, your non-compete may have serious teeth. If you're a random person in marketing, yours might have wording to be as scary as possible. Just to try to intimidate you rather than worrying about it holding up in court. If you have to sign a non-compete, have a labor lawyer review it. They can tell you, and the consult for this is usually free or fairly inexpensive.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Atopian posted:

Right. Really weird.
Employees are suppliers. The company pays them for their time/labour, which are inputs to the production process.

That doesn't mean you aren't going to look for better deals, or negotiate better terms - that's exactly what companies are supposed to do with suppliers. Flatter them, threaten them, seek the upper hand, whatever, but overall you'd imagine that the goal would be "get them to give us what we need for less money/hassle", but instead you keep seeing these... weird attitudes.

Traditionally the relationship has been more "I'm the only thing around here that provides the thing you need, bow before me peasent" than it is these days.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I had some fool companies try to put a non-compete clause in my new hire paperwork (software industry). I just laughed in their stupid faces, declined to sign and kick back and watch their HR scramble trying to just see if it's optional or not.

One company said I had to sign it, my attorney on the other hand said no, I do not in fact as the company was not providing restitution for the non compete period in question as required by the state law. The company let it go and hired me anyway without it.

Another company tried this bullshit on me, but sent me a plain, unsecured non compete contract document (lol). In which I then edited to my favor (I set the non compete duration to 24 days rather than 24 months) sent it back and they counter signed without a word. Wouldn't it have been hilarious if they tried to enforce that? I think so.

:c00lbutt:

Worst case, it's a point for extended negotiations. Want me to not work for two years? Ok, cool, put it in writing that the company is paying for that time and I'll do something else in the interim.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 7, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh if a company is dumb enough to give you an editiable doc you editing it is legit and allowed?

this sounds like a real lifehack protip.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

huh if a company is dumb enough to give you an editiable doc you editing it is legit and allowed?

Theres that old story about some dude doing this to a bank, and it working out in his favour.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

PhazonLink posted:

It is if they counter sign it and make it a binding contract.... It's not my fault if they don't re-read after downloading some template off the internet. Then check it again after getting it back from the other party.

I made no attempts to hide the changes or be elusive, they just assumed it was still boilerplate, signed it and that was that.

Edit: Ironically I did this a few times before hearing about that others doing the same. It's why it's important both parties read contracts before agreeing to them.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 7, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Neito posted:

Traditionally the relationship has been more "I'm the only thing around here that provides the thing you need, bow before me peasent" than it is these days.

Yeah, I bounce around a lot on contract work so it's typically not been that way for me, but I guess that's a weird experience.
Speaking of, the place I have my current contract with does seem to be much more of a "bow, peon!" frame of mind, so I doubt I'll be renewing. Seems like enough coworkers agree with that assessment to have prompted a bunch of meetings about retention.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Can you put it up somewhere conspicuous so when they 'just try to squeeze things in' you can tap the sign and ask which product they want you to dump?

I sent them pictures of it on Line.

I think it's mostly that they're restaurant people and aren't really used to this sort of long term planning for a product crossed with being part of a large corporate structure with my immediate boss as well as other higher-ups trying to impress, but not understanding the need for follow through, gradual changes, etc.

I think laying it out visually really helped them understand and conceptualize it. It definitely helped me.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 7, 2022

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

Pretty sure that was Eugene Debs. :shobon:

Huh, turns out neither of them.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/11/30/salary/

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

I asked a lawyer about it and he said that in general I needed to notify the company if I made changes to the contract. Apparently it's not good to deceive people when making a contract with them.

This is in Europe, but the rules for contracts tend to be similar around the world. If they weren't it would be impossible to do business internationally.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

zedprime posted:

Now I'm picturing the consent meme where it's you and your boss saying I consent while Jesus from HR is over there saying No Way.

It's Jose who says No Way. I don't know what Jesus says.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

OPAONI posted:

It's Jose who says No Way. I don't know what Jesus says.

HTH, OP.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Neito posted:

Everyone in the meeting should've said "then consider this my two weeks' notice" just to see the look on his face.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

gwarm01 posted:

Always a good sign when your company's response to the employee satisfaction survey is to remind us that having a good manager is more important than making more money or having better benefits.

If you had a good manager, you'd already be making more money & have better benefits. Find a way to tell them professionally to suck a turd outta your sweaty rear end.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

Everyone in the meeting should've said "then consider this my two weeks' notice" just to see the look on his face.

I'm not at a place financially or emotionally where I can quit without having something lined up, sadly.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Boss tried to lure people back into the office with food, one guy showed up.

Now they're going to raffle off door prizes or something but you have to show up at the office to get tickets for it. I think they got a few more rubes with this one so I'm hoping they don't hit whatever target number they were looking for to declare that enough people are willing to work from the office that it becomes mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
God I am so happy that my company's response to working from home has been "this working out just fine; if you need to actually work in the office let us know." In the last two years the only reason why I have gone to the office was to pick up or drop off hardware and yes I got paid while I was driving there.

Edit: I am relatively happy with how the tech support department I work is run but dear god the company isn't bothering with putting our software through any kind of QA process anymore. They recently rolled out a new "look" to the software it is buggy as gently caress, including a bug the prevents being able to access the owner login. In general company has not given a poo poo about catching bugs before release for fixing them after being documented for years.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 8, 2022