Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hel posted:

It's fine, but it's the worst Longest Journey game and will only really appeal to fans of the series but also does a few things that will annoy a lot of those fans as well.
'
Yeah, it's fine. It got some great characters like Enu and Shitbot, but it's pretty clear that they didn't managed to fulfill their ambitions. If you're fan it got some great callbacks to the first game though. There's a point where you have to collect drawings of scenes from the first game that Saga drew. The collection itself is pretty bad, but it was great to see parts of the game "drawn by a kid". You also have to put the drawings in the right order and even though it's probably a decade since I played the first game I managed to put the drawings right.

quote:

Also suffers from being "open world".

Eh, it's no more open world than other adventure games. And probably less of an open world than the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Is it reasonably easy to get into and finish the TLJ games? I assume I need to have played through TLJ and Dreamfall for the newer stuff to make any sense. They've sat in my library for probably 15 years but it always felt like a LOT for some reason and the potential time commitment has kept me from trying... Even though I'd already be done by now if I'd started.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alhazred posted:

Eh, it's no more open world than other adventure games. And probably less of an open world than the first game.

The first had discrete scenes which limited the areas where you had to look, Chapters had you walk around between them which made the distinction between areas of interest more blurred which made figuring out the puzzles a bit more involved. Even Dreamfall had better distinction between the scenes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

As long as you get past the inflated duck puzzle it's not that hard.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What the gently caress kinda game is

Oh you said duck

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vermintide 2 had the Chaos Wastes DLC which is a strand of procedurally generated levels like a rogue-lite and instead of giving you the numbers at the end of a stage it waits until the end

Feels real good to see the numbers for 5 or 6 stages at once

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Two fun trophies from Dreamfall: Chapters:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
SMT V, the main battle theme doesn't really kick in until the first attack is actively made. If you futz around in your menus it will just loop a bit of a droning prelude, but the guitars start wailing the moment you actually smack something.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Speaking of neat little musical touches, I really like how Beast Breaker handles it.

At your home you have four rooms you can switch between, each with it's own music.

As you progress through the game you recruit companions, who will stay in one of the four rooms.
What's neat is the music for the room they are staying in changes as you add more people too them, usually becoming more complex.

It's a great way to capture the feeling that you're filling up your home.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pulsarcat posted:

Speaking of neat little musical touches, I really like how Beast Breaker handles it.

At your home you have four rooms you can switch between, each with it's own music.

As you progress through the game you recruit companions, who will stay in one of the four rooms.
What's neat is the music for the room they are staying in changes as you add more people too them, usually becoming more complex.

Similar to SMT V mentioned above, when you ambush a beast, the music is sorta quiet as you perform your first actions. Once the beast 'activates', the next layer of music kicks in.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pulsarcat posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi has a similar thing: the residents of the castle have all been captured at the start of the game and each one you rescue adds some new function back to it. The musicians each just play their instruments, and each one you rescue adds that instrument to the castle’s background music. It’s a little thing but it feels grand when you finally get them all together and get to hear the full orchestra

Related, you’re helping out the Allucaneet Kingdom against the evil forces of the Thirstquencher Empire. Also all the residents of the castle have food pun names, like Cook Mary-Nade, Musician Pianissimeat, and Mercenary Meitlofe

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Jun 7, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Quite a few games do that, with home level/base themes becoming more complex and rich the further along you get. There's an example just at the tip of my memory, but I'm pretty sure Kirby and the Forgotten Land does it with Waddle Dee Town.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Give me more examples, I adore that poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Lots of video games have stories where there's some loved one that betrays you. In Greedfall, the villain of the story cares for you....and never really stops caring for you. At no point does he ever consider killing you, and even in the end, his whole plan is for you two to become gods, never just himself. It's rather endearing, except for the part where his plan effectively requires genocide, you know, that whole thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Building music complexity over time is always neat. I think the first time I noticed it was the Yoshi's Island map theme, which adds in new instrumentation every time you beat a world. Took a long time to notice, but it was awesome when I finally did.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Warbird posted:

Assassin's Creed 2's Monteriggioni is always the example I fall back to.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
For as maligned Phantasy Star 3 is, they had the nice touch of each new party member adding another instrument to the overworld music.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Similar to SMT V mentioned above, when you ambush a beast, the music is sorta quiet as you perform your first actions. Once the beast 'activates', the next layer of music kicks in.

Honestly, Beast Breaker has a great sound track, half the fun of unlocking a new area or fighting a new beast is the music for it.
For a game I picked up on a whim so I could spend my lunch break flinging a tiny mouse child around like a pinball Beast Breaker was incredibly fun.

quote:

Related, you’re helping out the Allucaneet Kingdom against the evil forces of the Thirstquencher Empire. Also all the residents of the castle have food pun names, like Cook Mary-Nade, Musician Pianissimeat, and Mercenary Meitlofe

I don't care if I somehow live to be a thousand, I will never get tired of Japan's love of stupid rear end pun names.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

Building music complexity over time is always neat. I think the first time I noticed it was the Yoshi's Island map theme, which adds in new instrumentation every time you beat a world. Took a long time to notice, but it was awesome when I finally did.

And of course, in Super Mario World, when you're riding Yoshi the music gets bongos added to it.

On a different note, Rogue Legacy 2 of course involves a lot of dying. There's a ton of different death animations, from fairly standard "gasp and fall over" or "collapse, try to crawl forwards, and die", to more unusual stuff like "glitch and fade out of existence". My favorite, though, is lethally stubbing your toe and falling over dead from the pain :v:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Toad Town music in Paper Mario 64 changes dynamically based on which building you're near. Not exactly the same thing but I love it nonetheless

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been replaying Arkham Knight and one thing that's kind of neat is how as the game progresses and you complete side missions they add stuff to GCPD like enemy weapons in the evidence room and the guys you beat up end up in holding cells.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

SMT V, the main battle theme doesn't really kick in until the first attack is actively made. If you futz around in your menus it will just loop a bit of a droning prelude, but the guitars start wailing the moment you actually smack something.

I recently tried some of SMT1 and it has a very similar thing that feels absolutely perfect for the setting. On random encounters, the pre-battle menu comes up with 'fight' 'talk' 'escape' etc. and a slow ominous bassline. It's not until you choose to fight that the battle music kicks in.

Stuff like this really enhances the feeling that the demons aren't just wild beasts and have their own personalities and motives, and maybe killing you isn't at the top of their to do list, hee ho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nostradingus posted:

The Toad Town music in Paper Mario 64 changes dynamically based on which building you're near. Not exactly the same thing but I love it nonetheless

Rare games did this a lot, with the Banjo-Kazooie games having different arrangements for the bgm depending on where you are in a world, including boss fight ones. I think the DK64 overworld did it but not the sub-worlds.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And of course, in Super Mario World, when you're riding Yoshi the music gets bongos added to it.

On a different note, Rogue Legacy 2 of course involves a lot of dying. There's a ton of different death animations, from fairly standard "gasp and fall over" or "collapse, try to crawl forwards, and die", to more unusual stuff like "glitch and fade out of existence". My favorite, though, is lethally stubbing your toe and falling over dead from the pain :v:

The penultimate boss is kind of a mirror match, so he pulls his defeat animation from the same pool of deaths your own little guys are subject to. Always great seeing this epic hilltop duel capped off with him doing the "I guess I'll die" shrug and slumping over.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

muscles like this! posted:

I've been replaying Arkham Knight and one thing that's kind of neat is how as the game progresses and you complete side missions they add stuff to GCPD like enemy weapons in the evidence room and the guys you beat up end up in holding cells.
I'm actually in the middle of replaying that as well, and there's another little thing it does that so few games do: writing breaks into the story for the player to go and do side quests. It's amazing how rare it is for games with lots of side content to put in throwaway lines like, "I'll work on decrypting this information, but it may take me a little while. Come see me when you're ready. In the mean time, you may want to check out some of the other crazy stuff going on in the city."

Arkham City was really bad about that. That game was constantly throwing side quests at you, but the main plot never let off the gas in a way that justified taking a break to search for Riddler trophies or track down the other half-dozen minor villains running around.

Morrowind is the only other game I can think of that managed that, by putting you in the role of a secret agent with a handler who is regularly encouraging you to take some time to do side missions to establish your cover as an adventurer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
God of War 2018 had a couple of points where Boy is scripted to mention that just going exploring is a possibility

Almost all of its side quests are also written to have Boy be enthusiastic about them and Kratos grudgingly indulging him but complaining about how it distracts from their real mission

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kit Walker posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi has a similar thing: the residents of the castle have all been captured at the start of the game and each one you rescue adds some new function back to it. The musicians each just play their instruments, and each one you rescue adds that instrument to the castle’s background music. It’s a little thing but it feels grand when you finally get them all together and get to hear the full orchestra

Brave Fencer Musashi was such a cool little game. Fantastic loving soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaE0tAHaDbc

This song gets stuck in my head all the time. It's a real 'LET'S GET UP AND GO ADVENTURE!' type tune. :swoon:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Warbird posted:

Suikoden series is built on this. You get a castle/fortress for reasons, and as you collect people more and more things are added to it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vandar posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi was such a cool little game. Fantastic loving soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaE0tAHaDbc

This song gets stuck in my head all the time. It's a real 'LET'S GET UP AND GO ADVENTURE!' type tune. :swoon:

Absolutely incredible ost for a game starring a LITTLE TURD

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Jokymi posted:

I'm actually in the middle of replaying that as well, and there's another little thing it does that so few games do: writing breaks into the story for the player to go and do side quests. It's amazing how rare it is for games with lots of side content to put in throwaway lines like, "I'll work on decrypting this information, but it may take me a little while. Come see me when you're ready. In the mean time, you may want to check out some of the other crazy stuff going on in the city."

Arkham City was really bad about that. That game was constantly throwing side quests at you, but the main plot never let off the gas in a way that justified taking a break to search for Riddler trophies or track down the other half-dozen minor villains running around.

Morrowind is the only other game I can think of that managed that, by putting you in the role of a secret agent with a handler who is regularly encouraging you to take some time to do side missions to establish your cover as an adventurer.

Deadly Premonition was also really good about this. You are regularly told to meet someone, somewhere, at a much later time and can just screw around in Greenvale until then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though with Arkham City side quests, that does remind me how one particular side quest seems out of place, because it should. Alfred just dropping the 'cure' to Titan poisoning casually as an optional side mission, which is actually a hallucination from the Mad Hatter to make Batman inject himself with some more of the fun chemicals.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

In Link's Awakening, to open the final dungeon you have to collect eight musical instruments from the various other dungeons, and play a song at the entrance.

You can go there early, and if you play the song it'll do it with just the instruments you have, so you can go there every so often over the course of the game and it'll be more and more complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoLVaoLd56o

Qwertycoatl has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Jun 7, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I liked how you could talk to the major villains after you had put them in jail.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The Surge 2 (maybe also the first one, I didn't play that): you can check what the upgraded stat of a weapon will look like in the menu, without even having material to upgrade it. Since weapons share movesets, it's useful in knowing which one ends up stronger - the differences may be slight, but they are there and it's nice to know.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

The music in Monkey Island 2's Woodtick gets different instruments and phrases added depending on where you are. Probably in other places too, I only remember seeing a video about Woodtick in particular and what a sophisticated system it actually is.

e: the Link's Awakening thing is made all the more impressive because they had to distribute eight instruments and their parts among only four sound channels.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Jun 7, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Skies of Arcadia was the first time I recall encountering dynamic battle music in a game and my mind was blown when I started whooping a boss’ rear end and it switched to this high tempo winning theme almost seamlessly feeling

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night: i can’t believe the mad lads made the SOTN inverted castle a traversal tool.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Lots of video games have stories where there's some loved one that betrays you. In Greedfall, the villain of the story cares for you....and never really stops caring for you. At no point does he ever consider killing you, and even in the end, his whole plan is for you two to become gods, never just himself. It's rather endearing, except for the part where his plan effectively requires genocide, you know, that whole thing.

Is greedfall good? That sounds interesting and the stuff I've seen of the sequel looks cool.. and I've seen it described as bioware-like, kind of like dragon age or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's Spiders. Meaning they're doing their honest best to emulate best-practice RPGs but not getting it quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Warbird posted:

It's not quite the same thing but in Dragon Quest 4 the overworld music and, in some cases, battle music change based on which chapter you're currently in. In the final chapter, whichever character is in the lead spot determines which overworld and battle music will play. Finally, the hero(ine)'s overworld music changes based on how far into the final chapter you are.