Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

510rems posted:

how do people get to level 90 and higher? is it really just doing maps normally and "lol don't die idiot"?

i'm not good at games and my hands don't work good, so i feel like i'm just going to be stuck at level 89 forever and that feels frustrating.

88 to 89 is where I feel the experience stings, 89 to 90 is just more of the same. Play a lot, and don't die.

90 to 92 is uhh more of the same, then 92 to 95 there's an actual sharp increase in nolifing but it's just a matter of playing the game safely and getting those 10% experience bars faster than you don't die. At 95% the jump to 96% is considerably more painful so it's common for people to stop at 92 or 94/95 in my friends list, I feel like if you can make to 93 you end up making to 94+ based on rhythm or how good your build is at surviving.

96-97 is horrible but still manageable by just playing. To get to 98, 99 and 100 I feel like you really have to try because even if you don't die the experience requisite scales to much higher than you achieve by playing the game normally, even if "normally" is farming everything you've ever wanted. Like I think the first time I got 36 challenges I got to level 97 and I did them all by myself, so that was just exhaustively soloing everything that I had to + reaching very high levels of delve which was something I enjoyed, and delve gives a fair amount of experience.

So 97 is another stopgap I see, I think Havoc stops at 97 for some of his builds because the last 3 points just take a significant time investment. 98-99 is much worse than 97-98, and 99-100 feels the same as 98-99. You can get to 100 just mapping or delving but it requires a certain level of commitment that puts the rest of the game into perspective: Whatever efforts you have to get to 90 - and I don't mean to diminish them because I often play dumb squishy builds and die a lot at 88/89 - are a tiny, tiny fraction of the time needed to get a bar at 99. However chayulas, cowards trial and 5-ways provide a relatively safe way, if expensive, to get huge chunks of experience, so some people opt to run them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
thanks for the replies, everyone.

looking over my pob, i think mainly my life is too low and my chaos res is also very bad. amulet and my rings seem to be the places where that could be most obviously remedied. obviously, i'm sure most of my ssf armor could be better but compared to my jewelry there's at least life rolls on them. it's also completely possible there's something else in my tree that i'm missing.

here's my pob, if anyone would care to look at it:
https://pastebin.com/z5awEKNC

510rems fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 6, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're basically very vulnerable to everything. The only good defensive layer you got going is a well stacked reduced extra damage from critical strikes. Otherwise, you're vulnerable to chaos damage, physical damage, and any unlucky chain of hits really. You should consider investing on spell suppression, one of the most broken things in the game.

I don't know what your build is, exactly, but you're also playing an Elementalist and missing on Elemancer. Before the rest of Elementalist got buffed, Elementalist was sometimes played in SSFHC and only leveled up twice in labs because A) Liege of Primordial + Elemancer are good enough that they can carry an entire ascendancy even with 2 missing labs B) well the other options were bad really and not worth the time or risk.

Since then those nodes sort of got buffed and what wasn't buffed was shuffled around to Golem Commander in the tree. Point is that being an Elementalist gives you access to one of the biggest chunks of Physical Damage Reduction in the game, the Chaos Golem.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spell suppression seems bugged in how good it is.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

510rems posted:

how do people get to level 90 and higher? is it really just doing maps normally and "lol don't die idiot"?

i'm not good at games and my hands don't work good, so i feel like i'm just going to be stuck at level 89 forever and that feels frustrating.

93 is a realistic goal to shoot for while still dying fairly often. anything past that requires you to either be tanky enough to plow through whatever content comes your way (except possibly the various super bosses and maven invitations) or to buckle down and do lots of boring content that probably can't kill you but still gives okay-ish exp. or shell out for breachstones ofc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what i do is just do content, eventually i'll not die enough and get to like 30-50% xp, and then i pool all the sulfite we have with friends, and we run delve for 3-4 hours and level up

this is how i got to lv96 in archnem, which is 3 levels more than i've ever been previously. i always maxed at 92-93 before

i know there's better/faster ways but delve is just the right amount of braindead and cheap to work for me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my highest character ever was a lacerate gladiator in heist that got to 94

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

seconding that 97 is about as high as you're gonna get though normal playing even if you have a super tanky build like RF or whatever. I've only hit 97 on RF and MoM / Agnostic back when the game was better

after 97 dying just loving sucks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think my last build will be str stacker with that new boot affix from recombinations. That looks exceptionally juicy .

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also yeah i should say my 96 was a pconc/plageb occultist which is just stupid for delves. throw grenades, enable plaguebearer, watch the exp bar grow in realtime lmao

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Truga posted:

also yeah i should say my 96 was a pconc/plageb occultist which is just stupid for delves. throw grenades, enable plaguebearer, watch the exp bar grow in realtime lmao

yeah Delve is my XP bank: "well I want to level and I only have 25% left but I've got 40+k sulphite banked so, guess I'm delving"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

96 is where I personally stop. Deaths are awful starting about then it seems to be not worth the stress . But no doubt getting to 100 would add a lot of power.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

510rems posted:

What everyone else said, but the tendency is that at 89+, you want to run T16s and your build is mostly completed and limited by currencies. So people juice the maps to get more monsters, more exp, more loot. And more danger.

When I'm pushing for 95, I tend to go safer with my maps and once there's 25% left, I tend to run Delve and Alva temples. Delve is ridiculously safe at <250 depth and is okay experience, better if you get vaal depths. Alva is huge quant, lots of magic and rare packs, lots of unique bosses and generally safe unless you got an atziri running around. And they're ilvl 83. Very safe for the last pushes.

Also, things like untainted paradise, beach head, etc for unique maps. The safe ones, that is. I wouldn't run death and taxes.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I've got enough for a mageblood + 50ex leftover and no idea what i want to build.

CoC FR only looks like it's getting more expensive, sadly.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

510rems posted:

thanks for the replies, everyone.

looking over my pob, i think mainly my life is too low and my chaos res is also very bad. amulet and my rings seem to be the places where that could be most obviously remedied. obviously, i'm sure most of my ssf armor could be better but compared to my jewelry there's at least life rolls on them. it's also completely possible there's something else in my tree that i'm missing.

here's my pob, if anyone would care to look at it:
https://pastebin.com/z5awEKNC

Ooh, yeah, this is not a super tanky archetype and it looks like you're somewhat struggling to get damage as well with a couple of uniques with low/no life rolls but 50%+ increased damage. 16k armor isn't bad per se, but it's also not a huge amount. Swapping to Elemancer, like Elentor suggested, and keeping the flame golem will increase your base damage a little but reduce it on bosses. A stone and chaos golem will do a lot for survivability, though, giving you a good chunk of PDR that isn't reduced by large hits, and a good chunk of regen. Defiance Banner would help scale the armor further too. Getting more chaos res or max res would help a lot too. Are you committed to the SSF life? If not, trade will make it real easy to upgrade a lot of this stuff. Unless SSF is really, like, a priority for you, especially with mobility issues impacting, I'd really recommend going trade.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

510rems posted:

The short answer is yes but the long answer is you need to get ele weakness and exposure capped so, that's like I think 60% over your max res? Probably a minimum of 15-20% chaos res, at least 4.5k life, and if you can, a shield. Also max spell suppression and determination, even with no armor bases, is still a nice chunk off of damage from enemies... Sometimes.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
thanks again for the build suggestions + leveling tips, everyone.

i'm gonna make the swap over to golems now and focus on chipping away at some gear upgrades. i'll keep the leveling tips in mind, but it sounds like i should probably focus on the defenses for now instead of getting myself worked up over a few more skill points.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

510rems posted:

I have awful loving arthritis, so I feel you, exile. Here is my advice: There is no shame in doing normal maps. There is no shame in doing magic maps. You don't have to ultra-krangle your maps to enjoy POE. You can make steady progress to 90-92 this way (as others have said) and not lose your loving mind.

If you want to try some spicy content to mix things up, drop down a few map tiers. My build absolutely sucks at blight, but I run blights at 5 tiers lower to adjust for that when I want to get oils. I spec'd my atlas into +guardian map drops and sell each and every one to buy better poo poo for the content I do run.

POE is an extreme land of contrasts. Don't let the idea that you gotta run brisket-juicy content 24-7 to level, or even to have fun. Pick a system and run with it.

To borrow from the elden ring thread: If the content sucks... hit da bricks!
You can always post your POB as well for ideas from the hivemind to improve your tankiness.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
does anyone havev an uber strict filter they like? suitable for juicing with 4 sextants, scarabs, etc?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

510rems posted:

By the time you're in deep reds you need to have multiple solid layers of defense, and need to start playing much, much more carefully if you don't. There's a lot of tiny, easy-to-miss stuff that adds up: map mods (extra damage, -max res, extra crit damage, faster attack, reflect, loss of regen/recovery, curses), Eldritch Altar effects, and now piles of archnem mods on top of that.

Don't be afraid to reroll maps that look spicy -- I throw chaos on any maps with no regen, -max res, or elemental ailment avoidance reflexively, even though I could probably do them if I was careful.

Alternatively, don't be afraid to drop down some map tiers to an area where you're comfortable -- yes, you'll get less exp and it will take longer to level, but it will still be faster than if you're dying every 20 minutes and constantly losing huge chunks of exp.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
typically at 90+ you should be choosing between accumulating experience and accumulating money/gear upgrades, since the best ways to do the latter will kill the poo poo out of you. i don't play ssf though, so i'm not sure if that's true for ssf players (i'm guessing yes? since harvest is insanely rippy). once your atlas is capped out you can easily oversustain maps, so don't feel bad about running maps white or blue if you want safe experience, too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah until I got gear upgrades last night I ran my maps rare but rolled to not be too bad, and white invitations/guardians. the loot difference is significant, but mostly only on a long term. one map at a time it's not very noticeable

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just don't plan to get past 90. If I do happen to gain a level or two past it that's great, but I don't plan my builds around it.

I also can't really stick with a particular build for very long before I get bored and want to try something else.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I just don't plan to get past 90. If I do happen to gain a level or two past it that's great, but I don't plan my builds around it.

I also can't really stick with a particular build for very long before I get bored and want to try something else.

This is totally fine of course, but you do kinda miss out if you don't go at least a few levels past 90 IMO, it's not just the extra passive points it's just forcing yourself to have a build that can get to that point and then you start feeling more powerful which is fun.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I tend to push high if the build can meaningfully benefit from the points more than just another spare life node or jewel socket.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
respecced into golems, followed the advice about doing the last 25% of a level in a vaal delve area, and listened to the album rumors by fleetwood mac one and half times.

hit 90 and found an exalt. :) thanks yall.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

510rems posted:

respecced into golems, followed the advice about doing the last 25% of a level in a vaal delve area, and listened to the album rumors by fleetwood mac one and half times.

hit 90 and found an exalt. :) thanks yall.

quote:

Now here you go again
You say you want your freedom
Well who am I to keep you down
It's only right that you should
Play the way you feel it
But listen carefully to the sound
Of your loneliness
Like a heartbeat .. drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had
And what you lost ...
And what you had ...
And what you lost

What am I doing with my fuckin life, man.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just hoard challenging stuff for when I ding a level in the 90s and then just run all of that poo poo at once. Once I zero that stuff out I focus on safely leveling.
I just hit 96, and I maybe will push towards 97, but I think I can do wave 30 Sim now, so I'm not stressing it. I got to 27 last time I tried, and I got significant upgrades since then, so wish me luck in about 10 mins here.

Edit: Got worked at 23 by K-sword man.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 7, 2022

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Empowered haunted rogue exiles are an incredibly lucrative income source. I regret sticking with harbingers as long as I did.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

boo_radley posted:

Empowered haunted rogue exiles are an incredibly lucrative income source. I regret sticking with harbingers as long as I did.

I'm going to want to hear more about this. This sounds juicy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you take the rogue exile nodes and the possessed nodes and then you empower them with sentinels and they drop very good loot. The downside is that it makes them very rippy

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm done leveling at 96, so I'll definitely give this a go over Harbringer.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a strange feel to brick Maven, run sirus and clear him, then elderslayers, try Maven again, get further than I ever have before... And completely brick the fight again because it's too hard to hit her with helix lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

DangerDongs posted:

I think I'm done leveling at 96, so I'll definitely give this a go over Harbringer.

idk how amazing the loot is relative to a mid-high investment strat, but it's fun and a definite change of pace and rogue exiles are kind of what rare monsters should've been

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized I could probably solve almost all my loving boss fight positioning problems by swapping Spec Throw for Helix since you don't care about projectile coverage in a single target situation. Or get a Divergent just in case for bosses that move a lot, especially because I won't care about projectile speed in that situation either

Goreban Dallas 2.0
Jan 4, 2019

Elentor posted:

I think I've said this before, especially when I asked before why people don't play Explosive Trap and the answer was just "Seismic Trap is better" but I legit think that's just a meta thing.

Seismic has better mechanics but leveling trying other traps and nothing deals the sheer brutal damage that Explosive Trap does.

I'm not even sure I've seen any skill in the game do what Expl. Trap does outside of stuff that got nerfed super quickly or very convoluted game mechanics. The first week of league 4 seconds uber shaper is not even close to the peak damage this dumb poo poo can do with actually good gear. I legit believe at this point that if someone's goal is just "make sure I can insta phase the endgame bosses and not do any mechanic whatsoever" Explosive Trap might be the best skill in the game, it's just so dumb and my only fear is that people find that out so all the Expl. Trap gear inflates in price because otherwise you just toss stuff and there 1.09b damage sitting on the ground. It doesnt matter if 10% of it hits the boss they're gonna melt anyway.

With the Ascendant I was doing 10% of the damage I did this league, literally, and that made it so none of the archnemesis rare or tane rares were something I interacted with last league. The archnemesis mechanic was just "this thing dies". Searing Exarch with 70% more life was "this thing dies". I had to keep amping the difficulty to "kill Feared all at once with 1k HP deathless" to see what consisted a challenge. That was 10% of the damage that Saboteur can get to, so even without Crystallized Omniscience the damage is still like, completely off the charts.

I apologize if I missed it, but do you have a POB for this?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I've been playing around with POB for a cold reap occultist (since awakened spell cascade is 30c), and grabbed one of the new double Impresence (frostbite/enfeeble) for 60c.

it's been two years since I've looked at enfeeble/temp chains since curse/hex rework. I recall they became "worse" and defense rework has obviously overshadowed running blasphemy auras for mana reservations.

am I looking at this right? end-game bosses have 66% less curse effect, so my 15% enfeeble is actually 5%? lol man they really dumpstered curses. temp chains is even sadder looking now with all the easy chill affect we have access too

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goreban Dallas 2.0 posted:

I apologize if I missed it, but do you have a POB for this?

https://pastebin.com/yNq0wbL5

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
enfeeble/temp chains still stacks on top of malediction and everything else you have going, so it's not entirely worthless, but yeah it's quite whatever on bosses. i just swap enfeeble for a dps curse when i'm doing big bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Truga posted:

enfeeble/temp chains still stacks on top of malediction and everything else you have going, so it's not entirely worthless, but yeah it's quite whatever on bosses. i just swap enfeeble for a dps curse when i'm doing big bosses
I guess since magic and rare monsters are now more likely to one-shot me than shaper slam, enfeeble actually is pretty good on paper lol

I could also spend a few exalts on lvl 4 enhance, for like 1% more enfeeble affect after reductions lmao